Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

A Moose posted:

There's a whole battle when they get back where Merry and Pippen raise up a hobbit army and defeat the men and they kick Saruman out of Bag End.

He tries to stab Frodo on his way out but Frodo was still wearing the mithril coat so it doesn't work. Frodo stops the hobbits from killing Saruman, which makes him madder because now he's indebted to Frodo. Then Wormtongue does his thing and cuts his throat in front of like 100 hobbits, before getting shot a bunch. In a footnote, Tolkien says "Sharky" probably comes from the Orcish word "sharkû" (old man). Saruman says his people at Isengard called him that, "possibly as a term of affection"

After all that:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone notice those Ralph Bakshi alts in the shop? Slip on the Ring looks dope as hell but I wish I could get something like that for a playable commander like Frodo Sauron's Bane.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Zero VGS posted:

Did anyone notice those Ralph Bakshi alts in the shop? Slip on the Ring looks dope as hell but I wish I could get something like that for a playable commander like Frodo Sauron's Bane.

Yeah, they are the same cards from the paper LOTR secret lair. Which I would have thought WotC would have given you an arena copy of those cards if you purchased. But nope.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

free gold

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Hey I could use some advice. I'm having trouble climbing the ladder atm, stuck in plat 4 and have been for a long time. I usually play RDW in standard and have it in explorer atm as well. The meta unfortunately doesn't seem too friendly to aggro though. I'm also out of rare and mythic WCs and I'm at a loss on what to do outside of just saving gold to draft a poo poo ton of eldraine, and I've had like no interest in LTR for some reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Benefit to having the Japanese artstyles for the mystical archives: two people now have thoughtsiezed something less immediately threatening than a turn 2 stone rain because I don't think they recognized the card was a stone rain

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elblanco posted:

Hey I could use some advice. I'm having trouble climbing the ladder atm, stuck in plat 4 and have been for a long time. I usually play RDW in standard and have it in explorer atm as well. The meta unfortunately doesn't seem too friendly to aggro though. I'm also out of rare and mythic WCs and I'm at a loss on what to do outside of just saving gold to draft a poo poo ton of eldraine, and I've had like no interest in LTR for some reason.

Eldraine comes out in a month so I wouldn't bother investing in a new deck yet. If you're asking what you should play to get your daily wins but not having luck with RDW, then just play the starter deck queue I guess?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Captain Invictus posted:

Benefit to having the Japanese artstyles for the mystical archives: two people now have thoughtsiezed something less immediately threatening than a turn 2 stone rain because I don't think they recognized the card was a stone rain

loling remembering this: if you haven't already seen this art for an existing mtg card, what do you think it would be

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

loling remembering this: if you haven't already seen this art for an existing mtg card, what do you think it would be

Deadly Derision, obviously

e: or Humiliate

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 12, 2023

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Elblanco posted:

Are you playing Bo1 or Bo3? I'd recommend looking at some gameplay videos on youtube where some top player plays with or against the deck to find some ideas on what to play around or how to better deal with certain things. You could also post a 17lands replay for us to critique if you'd like some gameplay tips.

Is your deck fully optimised? Maybe post that too for tips on potential upgrades.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Patrician's Scorn

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Also if you're having trouble against a specific deck/archetype, try either playing the deck yourself if you can or watching someone else play it. imo the easiest way to figure out tricky matchups is to see how the other side thinks.

get in their head, steal their secrets.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's obviously Invoke Despair

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Elblanco posted:

The other advice in terms of laddering is...

don't stress too much. in the end what you get for going from plat to mythic is like 2 packs and a couple of cosmetics. It's not worth stressing over.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have seen it, and the thought process makes a bit of sense at least.
But, yeah it would make more sense as artwork for Humiliate or something.

Though, not making too much sense makes it fit in with the older artworks.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Man, Wizard really makes it hard to report people. Reported a person with a lovely homophobic name.

But better than that, blew up their 11 counter Midnight Clock with a Fake Your Own Death Balrog for the win.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wanna share another DMU QD

https://www.17lands.com/draft/9a09509e805c4d048400bec12b2a0b63

I've talked about how much the bots undervalue extremely good cards in this very powerful set, and it rings more true every time I do a QD. It leads to some properly insane matches as well, if you match with people who also know what the good cards are (example see below).

I got a pretty power-dense Sultai Domain deck, with a manabase that could be a little better, but otoh I got Loamspeaker + Manaworker (a godsend in this btw) + Treaty (which is why I play a Mountain, and it has paid off once already). I only lost once so far, flooding (with no Tatty in sight) against a go-wide BW deck that had three removal spells for all my big threats.

4-1 so far.

The last game was properly sick and what I was talking about wrt DMU gameplay:

All hats off to opp for making the thing happen, and how it ever happened, but...Loamspeaker's lands also get flying from Tatty which is beyond busted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I've completely given up on DMU QD because I keep getting absolutely rolled by sultai poop but i am very bad at drafting sultai poop.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

I've completely given up on DMU QD because I keep getting absolutely rolled by sultai poop but i am very bad at drafting sultai poop.
Sorry for rolling you! I can give you some tips, though: pick the good green and blue cards and black removal

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I did pretty darn well with DMU premier draft when it was current but have gotten dumpstered in the few quick drafts I’ve tried.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I never did real qd for DMU but I did manage to draft boros aggro easily for that one MWM. It was the best deck that's easy to move into for the format.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
two things I learned today watching the most recent bronze to mythic:

1: Foray of Orcs is bugged on arena and does not use the last known power of the Army token to deal damage, despite both working that way on MTGO and also apparently every judge at JD's pro tour event ruling that way, if the token is killed after the army is created/added to, Foray of Orcs does nothing on Arena, so keep that in mind. It likely cost jim the game in one of the most disgusting matches of MTG I've seen in a long time. and apparently he doesn't ask for refunds despite that being a huge loving bug.

2: Shadowfax summoning a Shire Scarecrow in attack mode is extremely funny to me

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

imagine dungeons posted:

I did pretty darn well with DMU premier draft when it was current but have gotten dumpstered in the few quick drafts I’ve tried.

I am reasonably sure I'm substantially better on premiere for the set as well, it's probably one of the worst sets of bots in a while.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Captain Invictus posted:

1: Foray of Orcs is bugged on arena and does not use the last known power of the Army token to deal damage, despite both working that way on MTGO and also apparently every judge at JD's pro tour event ruling that way, if the token is killed after the army is created/added to, Foray of Orcs does nothing on Arena, so keep that in mind. It likely cost jim the game in one of the most disgusting matches of MTG I've seen in a long time. and apparently he doesn't ask for refunds despite that being a huge loving bug

what exactly happened here in more detail because I'm not sure I understand where the bug is? a timestamp would be nice

foray of orcs should do one of three things as far as I understand templating:
- if you have an existing army, it should add two counters on it and deal the army's power as damage
- if you don't have an existing army (like if it was killed in response to the spell being put on the stack), it makes a new 2/2 army and deals 2 damage
- if you can't amass for some reason, it won't deal any damage, since the dealing damage condition is 'when you amass'

I don't think there should be a point between amassing and dealing the damage where you can remove the army either on arena or on paper and that's the only time I can think 'last known information' would be involved, but I'm not an actual judge

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
About 1 hour 9 minutes into this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwkLyZxS55A

I forgot he had done it once before and had the same thing happen. But yeah, there's a second trigger for some reason that allows the opponent to kill the token after spawning and doesn't use last known information of the army's total power, rendering it as 0 and dealing no damage.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
asked an actual judge and there is in fact supposed to be a reflexive trigger that both players can respond to between amassing and dealing the damage, but you are correct that if the token is removed it is supposed to use last known information

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

It's been quietly fixed on Arena since that video.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Trophied with 7-2

My winning game was a nice lesson in patience and baiting out removal:

Also I'm happy that Defiler got to do hosed up poo poo for once (I had it a few times previously, but it always got handled). Playing Ancient + Brawler in one turn is disgusting.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I tried a dmu qd and got absolutely bodied lol. Dmu was my fav set to draft tho tbf I haven't played mtg in months and months

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I always assumed that Foray worked that way because adding the counters to the army went on the stack on top of the spell but I guess it was just a mistake?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Throne of Eldraine premier draft starts tomorrow yippiee

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh baby maybe I can finally snag one of them bone crushing gigantes

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

here's how to draft throne of eldraine: take every creature with an adventure

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

thespaceinvader posted:

I always assumed that Foray worked that way because adding the counters to the army went on the stack on top of the spell but I guess it was just a mistake?

It works that way so you don't lose your amass if the targeted creature gets sacrificed in response. You always get the amass and then the damage triggers based on that.

The bug is that the damage should be dealt based on the size of the amassed army - if the army has left play since then, it should use last-known-information and check how big it was when it went away. It's that last bit that seems bugged.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Throne of Eldraine premier draft starts tomorrow yippiee

Oh hell yeah. I thought it was Tuesday

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Done another dmu qd and doing better this time around. Feels good to bang out some matches again :mrwhite:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Eldraine draft is fun. Have done 1-3, 4-3, and then 5-3.

5-3 deck felt like it could have 7'd, but ate two mana screws. One was particularly awful, as it was against the one person running Folio of Fancies, and I was completely hosed over stuck on one of two colors, ensuring they could mill me for 5 for a bunch of turns in a row. Love the game, hate it when you lose to the shuffler and not your opponent.

Seems like barely anyone is playing blue.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
oh nooooo i was just working my way up to do a LTR premier draft and now I have to learn a new pool of cards :(

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Any hot tips for throne of eldraine draft? Never played the set. Went in blind and came out with a sorta half knights/half food white/black deck. Have no idea what I'm doing hehe :witch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
lotr premier should still be available, since they never retire the 'current set'