Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Dying is also really far from the only way a character can lose. Look at how terribly everything went wrong just before this, Allison did survive that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

We should improve Throne somewhat

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time in Vigils for Friends:

Today, Shirley and Kitty gently caress it up again.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fagtastic posted:

It actually makes no sense at all because if Allison was told exactly what she is about to do in every mundane decision, it makes no sense that she would just obey. Conscious minds are capable of decisions, and would be fully capable of defying any prophet. If you *define* your prophecy as infallible, all you've done is make a paradox by introducing an impossible thing. The impossible thing is either free will or determinism.

Spoilers: free will is not impossible.

Jadis is not interested in trying to tell Allison what she's going to do in specific mundane decisions, in large part for the exact reason you describe! What would she have to gain by invalidating her own omniscience by giving someone the opportunity to contradict it?

Jadis has a script that tells her exactly how everything will go down as long as she follows one specific path; by definition that path is not going to include Jadis creating any gotchas. Whether Jadis must follow the script or just wants to is largely academic.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

We should improve Throne somewhat

And yet you had your face removed and your mortal frame rendered a husk for habitation by devils. Curious.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

You are very intelligent.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and as an added bonus she now can't fatally lose every fight for the next thirty-five years

she could go kick the jaggahog repeatedly! can't die! thirty five years!

this is why predestination in any story with violent conflict shits all over any pretense of stakes and I do not like it, send tweet

(seriously, the idea that "you should sit here for thirty-five years" produces the same lifespan as "tear off your own arm and pluck out your own eye and return to universe-shattering combat" is insane)

Allison takes one good blow to the skull, leaving her in a vegetative state, languishing in a hospital until she is taken off life support after 35 years.

The end! No moral.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I dunno, I think K6BD is more likely to have someone enter a Vegeta state.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
can't believe that Thorsby started guest writing for Valhalla too

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Wild that people seem to think what's happening in K6BD is a metaphor when Alisson is literally just dealing with the struggle of knowing A) someday we all must die and it might happen sooner than you want and B) to the best of out knowledge there is no intrinsic meaning to life; no afterlife, no omnipotent god, ect. There's nothing metaphorical about it, the text is pretty explicit about what is going on, it's just that the context is more dramatic than what an average personal might be experiencing with their own existential struggle.

Also Jadis being omniscient but having no free will solves the whole 'doing the opposite of what she said ' problem. If she made a specific prediction and then someone did the opposite in response, it doesn't mean her knowledge is flawed, only her ability to communicate it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vagabong posted:

Also Jadis being omniscient but having no free will solves the whole 'doing the opposite of what she said ' problem. If she made a specific prediction and then someone did the opposite in response, it doesn't mean her knowledge is flawed, only her ability to communicate it.

It also means that she made that statement with the knowledge that it would lead to the opposite response. If we assume that she is in fact omniscient, that still doesn't mean that everything she says is true, any more than if she wasn't. All it means is that she was destined to say those words. So you might as well act like you have free will and stop talking to the black hole that was once a person.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Whybird posted:

On the great arc of time, all forms tend towards crabs and all comics tend towards misunderstanding-based romantic farces

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Donald Duck - The Lord of the Pan

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

false knees
09JUN2018 - 05JUL2018
corn, corhn

false knees
16JUL2018 - 31JUL2018

the wren did not treat itself. it was predestined. if someone had told it to treat itself a few seconds before it actually did, it would not still have decided "no, i will not treat myself". waaaank wank wank wank waaaaaaank wank wank wank wank wank wank wank

also quite a crow-heavy set of five comics today

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tunicate posted:

anyway, comics!

Sisyphus's punishment isn't the toil. He has been promised he can return to the mortal world if he pushed the boulder to the top. His punishment is hope.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

Sisyphus's punishment isn't the toil. He has been promised he can return to the mortal world if he pushed the boulder to the top. His punishment is hope.

This is also apparent in the story of Pandora. We take the end of the story to be an inspiring reminder that even if the world is full of bad stuff going on, there's still hope left, right? For the Greeks the story was probably meant to be a depressive reminder that the world has already gone to Hades and hope is nothing but false expectation. Greeks really didn't believe in hope.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Version I heard the point was to grind down the mountain, so it was an epic punishment but a finite one

anyway.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

barbecue at the folks posted:

This is also apparent in the story of Pandora. We take the end of the story to be an inspiring reminder that even if the world is full of bad stuff going on, there's still hope left, right? For the Greeks the story was probably meant to be a depressive reminder that the world has already gone to Hades and hope is nothing but false expectation. Greeks really didn't believe in hope.

what are you basing this on?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Takako-san chapter 50

Takako-san chapter 51

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what are you basing this on?

Looking into it, there's a tragic (hope is evil) and non-tragic (hope is good, actually) reading of the story, and I only now realized that I've always been partial to the tragic reading since it was also advocated by Nietzsche: Hope was put in a box/jar of evils by Zeus because hope is an evil that only allows man to continue tormenting himself constantly anew. Looking into it, there's unsurprisingly a large amount of scholarship on the issue and many people these days take the opposite view - Greeks had a non-tragic sense of hope and Hesiod's original meaning was not as clear-cut as the tragic reading would suggest. Teaches me to blast about classics :eng99:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Whybird posted:

Well, Valhalla does include Thor's village...

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cspam rear end cow

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The pasture is wild because the dumbest cows are like "knowledge is a dialogue and your idea and mine can refine each other toward the truth" and the smartest cows are like "eat grass be happy."

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

This took too long for such a dumb joke

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Kill Six Billion Demons

Alt: To be part of the Order of Nihil requires unshakable faith, unbelievable martial prowess, and some really sick rear end hops

quote:

“The temple of the Eye Revealed, in its vastness, is an extremely dogmatic. Through countless interpretations of the etchings and mutterings of their corpse-goddess, they rule, as they say, from divine decree. I, for one, wouldn’t take my orders from a glorified slate, no matter how holy.”

-Payapop Pritram

Full Size
Alt: thanks for reading, here is the proper title drop 10 years later

quote:

“After running for three years and three days, Prim finally came to a tumbling halt. No matter how far she ran, no matter how fast her legs carried her, she could not find the end of the road. No matter how she scanned the horizon, or reached out with trembling fingers, she could not grasp her resting place. The road continued forever.

There was a way-angel there, standing on a pillar of basalt, who understood many things, and he said to Prim: ‘O piteous thing.” Struck by her dreadful appearance, he recognized her as the orphan of Hansa, for he was very wise in the world. ‘What seek you on the road, small one?’ said the angel, “Perhaps I can offer succor.”

“The end of the road,” croaked Prim.

“There is no end,” said the angel, and it was so indeed. For the road was the rim of the Wheel, which encircled infinity. There was, truly no resting place. For some, this would have been dread news, enough to strike the life out of them. Many had given up when they learned of this, and laid down to die, as was sometimes the way of men in those days.

But for Prim, it washed over her, and soothed her, and for her weary and torn heart was the sweetest balm in the world.”

-Prim Masters the Road

All of Allison's titles are the titles of the chapters of the story and that rules imo

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
Introducing a predestination / time paradox into your story seemingly just for the explicit purpose of your protagonist saying "gently caress that gently caress you" and becoming god instead counts as one of the more satisfying presentations of the usually tedious trope, I have to admit.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

barbecue at the folks posted:

Looking into it, there's a tragic (hope is evil) and non-tragic (hope is good, actually) reading of the story, and I only now realized that I've always been partial to the tragic reading since it was also advocated by Nietzsche: Hope was put in a box/jar of evils by Zeus because hope is an evil that only allows man to continue tormenting himself constantly anew. Looking into it, there's unsurprisingly a large amount of scholarship on the issue and many people these days take the opposite view - Greeks had a non-tragic sense of hope and Hesiod's original meaning was not as clear-cut as the tragic reading would suggest. Teaches me to blast about classics :eng99:

Yeah, there are several different versions/interpretations of the myth and in some ways it's a story with a four-way conclusion depending on how you take the reading.

Either...
A) Hope escaped the box, and that's good (Hope is out there in the world somewhere)
B) Hope escaped the box, and that's bad (Hope is gone)
C) Hope stayed trapped under the lid of the jar, and that's good (Humans hold on to/possess hope)
D) Hope stayed trapped under the lid of the jar, and that's bad (Hope didn't make it into the world with the rest of the things that were in there)

And that's not even taking into consideration the "Is it good or bad to have hope" angle, so you could spin it out even more ways if you wanted to.

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (May 25-June 1, 1941)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Also also, the Greek word elpis just means expectation, whether it's expecting good things or expecting bad things is a matter of context.

I'm partial to the very minority interpretation that the last evil trapped in the box was foresight, the small mercy granted humanity is that even though all of these inescapable evils are out there, at least we aren't doomed to know exactly which one will finally tag us.

Hunh might be thematically relevant here

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's an interesting reimagining

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tendales posted:

Also also, the Greek word elpis just means expectation, whether it's expecting good things or expecting bad things is a matter of context.

I'm partial to the very minority interpretation that the last evil trapped in the box was foresight, the small mercy granted humanity is that even though all of these inescapable evils are out there, at least we aren't doomed to know exactly which one will finally tag us.

Hunh might be thematically relevant here

Also dovetails with the conventional interpretation of Prometheus as "forethought" and how much it sucked for him

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I was mildly taken aback at the wording of "minor fatalities," but the following panel of the recently-emancipated Val and crew going "score, a load of slaves, we can sell those for a bundle" is really something.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This chapter of Zhuangzi Speaks looks really weird

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Anybody else have this book when they were a kid?

I have a very strong image in my head of how the illustrator drew Hope: a little dumpy, bald creature with tiny wings but no arms. Not happy--almost spooky, maybe even a little pathetic. I should get in the attic and see if I still have that book somewhere.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Demon
Chapter 21.07

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡
The Djinn, by 深海巨狗 (read left to right)

End chapter 4.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol at the soul reveal, but not at the other stuff

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Owl at Home posted:

Anybody else have this book when they were a kid?

I have a very strong image in my head of how the illustrator drew Hope: a little dumpy, bald creature with tiny wings but no arms. Not happy--almost spooky, maybe even a little pathetic. I should get in the attic and see if I still have that book somewhere.

God I loved that book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

humans only know how to lie? we also know how to eat hot chip.