Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

vyelkin posted:

Ontario will continue electing conservative governments as long as there's a liberal government in Ottawa, and as soon as there's a conservative government in Ottawa they will switch to electing liberal governments in Queens Park. This is the most consistent pattern in Canadian politics because we're all too singleminded to remember that there are different levels of government, we just show up to the voting booth, say "I hate that drat Harper!!!!!!!" and walk through the red door, and then a few years later we show up to the voting booth, say "I hate that drat Trudeau!!!!!!!" and walk through the blue door

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS2Bsq5PDmU&t=11s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Ontarians will vote for whichever nazi promises to punish their social lessers and keep the treats rolling. Forever.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

infernal machines posted:

the orange door remains nailed shut with a handwritten sign that says "rae days"

Per Vote Subsidy, which both the Grits and Tories did.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Good news for Tim Hortons franchises everywhere

https://twitter.com/BrettEHouse/status/1689120715847438336

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

quote:

Our goal is not to decrease the value of their home. Our goal is to build more units that are at a price that other people, who dont currently have their needs met, can afford.

housing minister: We don't want prices of homes to come down, we just want to build smaller, shittier homes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
instead of being unhoused, you could live in this port-a-john?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
don't tell that dork that one of the tools the real estate sector is using to keep house prices climbing is deliberately working against the development of housing alternatives to single family and lazy condos

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
It's almost like making the housing market an easy way to launder money and nets a return better than a savings account or safe investment (other than housing).

I can't prove it and I have to accept the data statscan showed unless I'm given data to the contrary, but I find it difficult to believe two thirds of adult Canadians own a house.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

has anyone tried harping on Mike Harris and the 407 boondoggle that we are still actively suffering from daily? I mean thats way more compelling than the spectre of Rae days

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shofixti posted:

has anyone tried harping on Mike Harris and the 407 boondoggle that we are still actively suffering from daily? I mean thats way more compelling than the spectre of Rae days

I was just bitching about it. The amount of profit private companies make off it is obscene considering it was built with out tax dollars.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Houle posted:

It's almost like making the housing market an easy way to launder money and nets a return better than a savings account or safe investment (other than housing).

I can't prove it and I have to accept the data statscan showed unless I'm given data to the contrary, but I find it difficult to believe two thirds of adult Canadians own a house.

who wants to bet they just took the number of houses and divided it by the number of adults or something equally stupid, just like they look at average income

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it was supposedly from the 2016 census results

then again they also have average home prices from 2021 that are, in any of the areas i'm familiar with, several hundred thousand dollars under market

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Heh

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

paper straws absolutely do loving suck

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Clicking the "liberals are too woke" link and getting mad that I the link doesn't take me to unreleased photos of JT in blackface

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
conservatives are running out of new angles of the PM in blackface for the next election cycle

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

robins donuts rules

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Just mandate aluminum straws ffs

Goes the same place pop cans go, recyclable, now pay my consulting fee tyia

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

this guy drinks IPAs and never shuts up about them

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm convinced paper straws were an op by oil companies. Rather than replacing plastic lids with equally good paper lids, they replaced the smallest piece of plastic, the part that actually goes in your mouth, with a crappy straw that makes it taste like paper and breaks down if you take too long to drink. I now carry around a plastic straw if I'm planning to buy a drink that comes with a straw.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chamale posted:

I'm convinced paper straws were an op by oil companies. Rather than replacing plastic lids with equally good paper lids, they replaced the smallest piece of plastic, the part that actually goes in your mouth, with a crappy straw that makes it taste like paper and breaks down if you take too long to drink. I now carry around a plastic straw if I'm planning to buy a drink that comes with a straw.

I also think this but everyone I've suggested this to has said it was bullshit

it's 100% not bullshit

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CLAM DOWN posted:

The splinterwood forks are even worse, I should start carrying utensils on me like a soldier

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
it also brilliantly paints the entire environmental justice movement as silly. like folks can see the plastic being mulched into the earth and you want them to give a poo poo about their straws? that gets counted as a climate win. climate justice activists want more wins. so they want to take away more bullshit that doesnt actually hurt that bad but makes my life a little more comfortable.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I'm pretty sure the plastic bag bans are just ways for grocery stores to charge you. Each and every grocery store bag I've had is reused as a small bin lining.

Now I don't know how many cloth bags I have because I'm too stupid to take the bags out of the car and put them in the cart. I'm pretty sure those bags (which also use synthetic fibers??) do more environmental harm than the clear bag.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Chamale posted:

It's gotta be, the whole loving cup is plastic except the straws. It's asinine and makes zero sense.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Didn't the plastic straw ban pick up steam after that turtle got one stuck in its nostril? And people decided it wasn't plastic in general that's the problem it was extremely specifically straws.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Adenoid Dan posted:

Didn't the plastic straw ban pick up steam after that turtle got one stuck in its nostril? And people decided it wasn't plastic in general that's the problem it was extremely specifically straws.

That is what I remember too.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Anybody else notice the prominence of anti-immigrant stories published in the last 6 months or so? It's by far the worst I've ever seen, and it's all mainly focused on housing. There must be some forces behind the scenes organizing this, it seems so well coordinated .

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Houle posted:

I'm pretty sure the plastic bag bans are just ways for grocery stores to charge you. Each and every grocery store bag I've had is reused as a small bin lining.

Now I don't know how many cloth bags I have because I'm too stupid to take the bags out of the car and put them in the cart. I'm pretty sure those bags (which also use synthetic fibers??) do more environmental harm than the clear bag.

I think the reusable bag is supposed to be greener than a thousand disposable bags, like okay if I only get a reusable bag every 4 years it is greener :cool:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

well they're right they need to build more housing

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
fwiw when my husband and I were going through the financial colonoscopy that is getting approved for a mortgage they treated my visa-having rear end like I was the biggest liability on the planet, all because I wanted to chip in on the down payment. We were married then, but I had to explain to three different people that money came from my American credit union account into my Canadian one, and then we had to wait until the lender approved me cutting a bank check with very specific verbiage on it and also I had to write a letter stating it was a gift with no expectation of repayment... to my husband, that had me listed on his bank account. I had to explain multiple times where my money came from, because they would print out the screenshots and scan them in crooked to send to other people in their lucre-hive so bits were cut off, then wait until an hour before their office closed to tell me it didn't make sense and I had to explain why bits were cut off.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

well they're right they need to build more housing

Hard disagree, we should fill all the empty investor units and vacation homes instead of more environmental destruction. Or we can continue down the path of total biosphere death I guess. Anyone who wants to cut a single extra tree in the green belt should simply be executed instead. Hth!

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Puppy Burner posted:

Hard disagree, we should fill all the empty investor units and vacation homes instead of more environmental destruction. Or we can continue down the path of total biosphere death I guess. Anyone who wants to cut a single extra tree in the green belt should simply be executed instead. Hth!

The hth makes you sound like a complete douche. The gently caress is wrong with you you smug prick. Learn to talk to people. It was a perfectly fine comment until you added that smug last 4 characters

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's no need to open new land in the greenbelt when you can just let a herd of wild bulldozers loose in the suburbs and build better stuff after they're done. Also nationalise AirBnB

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

There's no need to open new land in the greenbelt when you can just let a herd of wild bulldozers loose in the suburbs and build better stuff after they're done. Also nationalise AirBnB

yeah it's this, no need to bulldoze the greenbelt when you can build more homes by densifying places that have already been paved over to build vast expanses of SFH wasteland and by reclaiming homes intentionally removed from the long-term housing market for rentseeking purposes

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

yeah it's this, no need to bulldoze the greenbelt when you can build more homes by densifying places that have already been paved over to build vast expanses of SFH wasteland and by reclaiming homes intentionally removed from the long-term housing market for rentseeking purposes

this sounds like destroying Mississauga and frankly Im here for it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the world may be ending but people deserve a roof over their head

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

Terror Sweat posted:

The hth makes you sound like a complete douche. The gently caress is wrong with you you smug prick. Learn to talk to people. It was a perfectly fine comment until you added that smug last 4 characters

Post cringe that serves only to enrich property developers at the expense of the public good and the future sustainability of the province and I will be an obnoxious human being to you OP. That's called "praxis"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Puppy Burner posted:

Post cringe that serves only to enrich property developers at the expense of the public good and the future sustainability of the province and I will be an obnoxious human being to you OP. That's called "praxis"

The gently caress is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

I hate when my posts enrich property developers