Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Also, hey what's the goon take on Turbo Overkill (not to be confused with Ultrakill)? I see it's hitting 1.0 and will get a price increase after launch week.

For what's worth, I am a middle aged man who has played FPS games since I was a kid and DUSK is my favourite one from all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Also, hey what's the goon take on Turbo Overkill (not to be confused with Ultrakill)? I see it's hitting 1.0 and will get a price increase after launch week.

For what's worth, I am a middle aged man who has played FPS games since I was a kid and DUSK is my favourite one from all time.

If you like boomer shooter with some sauce then you'll like it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

credburn posted:

What's the next main entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise after Black Flag?
Rogue.

Might be because I played it right after Black Flag and Freedom Cry and was all sailed out, but its genuinely a worse version of Black Flag. I'd skip to Syndicate.

Whatever happened to the one guy chronicling his playthrough of the entire rear end Creed series in this thread? A lesson in the dangers of not skipping AC games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The 7th Guest posted:

i see titan quest 2 has a Giant Enemy Crab

shiny

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xander77 posted:

Rogue.

Might be because I played it right after Black Flag and Freedom Cry and was all sailed out, but its genuinely a worse version of Black Flag. I'd skip to Syndicate.

Whatever happened to the one guy chronicling his playthrough of the entire rear end Creed series in this thread? A lesson in the dangers of not skipping AC games.

Rogue isn’t a mainline entry. It’s the game they made for previous gen consoles reusing a shitton of assets just to have a game out. It quite literally is just a worse version of Black Flag, exclusively for the PS3 and 360. The next mainline game after Black Flag is Unity.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

ZearothK posted:

i've played about an hour and change of the full game and i really like it so far. it's extremely fast paced but on hard it's not too hard so far. the chainsaw slide is the great equaliser, it's defense and offense in one and you end up chewing through a lot of enemies with it. it's very satisfying to blast a big dude with your shotgun and finish him off with a chainsaw slide. the weapons so far feel good, they're kind of your standard variety but they all have alternate fire modes which changes things up, everything from lock-on to sticky grenades to a flamethrower. looks really good and movement feels amazing.

it kinda feels like the kind of fps a lot of people wanted doom eternal to be, in that a lot of the RPG/arbitrary things about that game feel more organic in this one, and there's no rock/paper/scissors weakness system to the weapons. you still have minor RPG things like implants (e.g. get armour from killing enemies with your chainsaw leg) and you unlock a missile button on cooldown but it feels pretty pure all things considered.

the levels so far also seem cool. i'm not sure if it's true but seems like they're quite open-ended and there's a lot of ways to get around them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Overwatch 2 not doing so hot on Steam.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It also has ~60k players and is in top 20 of most played games on Steam, so I think the bad reviews are a bit of a modern "boycott CoD II" meme.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Lt. Lizard posted:

It also has ~60k players and is in top 20 of most played games on Steam, so I think the bad reviews are a bit of a modern "boycott CoD II" meme.

I get your point, but also the MW2 boycott image has been wildly misinterpreted for years.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's a free-to-play game so I can imagine a lot of people with gripes about Overwatch in the past years have come out of the woodwork to do a quick drive-by review.

I understand it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Lt. Lizard posted:

It's a Blizzard game, that inevitably comes with a legion of addicts.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I get your point, but also the MW2 boycott image has been wildly misinterpreted for years.

Huh, in what way?

And because this is internet: that's a genuine question. I never had much interest in military shooters (demonstrated by the fact that I confused CoD II and MW2 :v:) and never saw the boycott image in other context than "players are clamoring for boycott of a game, but are playing it anyways".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

I have never once seen anyone actually care about this

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lt. Lizard posted:

Huh, in what way?

And because this is internet: that's a genuine question. I never had much interest in military shooters (demonstrated by the fact that I confused CoD II and MW2 :v:) and never saw the boycott image in other context than "players are clamoring for boycott of a game, but are playing it anyways".
at the time a Steam group always sorted by people playing a game first, so of course the first page would have the people who 'crossed the picket line' basically. if you were to check all the other pages of players, they were not playing

but people interpreted it as "there are this many pages of group members playing the game" or "everyone in the group is playing it, some boycott!"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The 7th Guest posted:

at the time a Steam group always sorted by people playing a game first, so of course the first page would have the people who 'crossed the picket line' basically. if you were to check all the other pages of players, they were not playing

but people interpreted it as "there are this many pages of group members playing the game" or "everyone in the group is playing it, some boycott!"

also wasn't there a free weekend or something

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

also COD does have dedicated servers now so evidently the backlash to P2P was strong enough to affect their bottom line, they're not paying for those servers out of the goodness of their hearts

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any idea why Steam is unable to sync my Titan Quest saves?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

Any idea why Steam is unable to sync my Titan Quest saves?

Steam Cloud save syncing has been generally unstable for me recently. I usually just wait an hour or so and try again and it (usually) works

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Macichne Leainig posted:

Steam Cloud save syncing has been generally unstable for me recently. I usually just wait an hour or so and try again and it (usually) works

:same:

It usually clears up by starting another game, then trying the sync again…but it may just be that in the two minutes between it unfucked itself automagically (like a lot of quirks with Steam).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

doesn't BG3 have particularly large save files

might be related

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

repiv posted:

doesn't BG3 have particularly large save files

might be related

It's not just been BG3 unfortunately, but I suppose it is where I have noticed it the most

Orv
May 4, 2011
As of the last patch it has infinitely large save files!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

It's not just been BG3 unfortunately, but I suppose it is where I have noticed it the most

i should have been more specific, i meant the shitload of BG3 players uploading a shitload of enormous save files might be overloading steams backend and making it flaky in general

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

repiv posted:

also COD does have dedicated servers now so evidently the backlash to P2P was strong enough to affect their bottom line, they're not paying for those servers out of the goodness of their hearts

Wait really? I thought it was as good as gone back when it was a big deal in…MW2?? Memory is fuzzy, the last COD game I really enjoyed with multiplayer was MW1, felt like the perfect level of pacing.

So modern COD titles on PC have server browsers and such? If that’s true im pleasantly surprised. I don’t recall seeing it in COD WW2 but I guess that game is old by COD standards and I also played it for 30 minutes before uninstalling it forever. I think it was part of a humble bundle.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no server browser, but the newer games matchmake onto dedicated servers rather than using P2P

i think the P2P netcode is still in there but only as a last resort if no proper servers are available

community servers / server browsers are most definitely gone for good

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 12, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Do they not have them for custom hc games and stuff? Or is that battlefield

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What's the easiest way to find a screenshot folder Steam seems to have lost track of? Game is Grim Dawn if that helps. I'm guessing maybe this is related to me uninstalling it before the Steam UI change?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

repiv posted:

i should have been more specific, i meant the shitload of BG3 players uploading a shitload of enormous save files might be overloading steams backend and making it flaky in general

As far as I can tell, the Steam backend tells the client which of Azure/Amazon/Google to connect to, sends them the bucket ID and authentication tokens, and the client uploads to the cloud provider directly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Possible compromised account: I got a message from "XerxesTireIronDada," who is listed as a member of the SA Goons and SA Gaming Garbage asking me to vote for a logo for his bud's team, although they didn't get around to providing a presumably account-stealing link.

Until now, I didn't realize it was possible for someone not on your friends list to send you a message. Maybe if they're part of the same group it works?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Lord Lambeth posted:

Overwatch 2 not doing so hot on Steam.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Keep in mind at least half of these review bombs are from Chinese players mad about Actiblizz deleting all the cosmetics and skins they paid for, which is a very understandable thing to be mad about

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Until now, I didn't realize it was possible for someone not on your friends list to send you a message. Maybe if they're part of the same group it works?

It's not. What probably happened was that they were on your friend list and then removed you just after sending you the phishing link.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Saoshyant posted:

It's not. What probably happened was that they were on your friend list and then removed you just after sending you the phishing link.
Is that supposed to help them avoid people reporting the stolen account to Valve or something?

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Assepoester posted:

Keep in mind at least half of these review bombs are from Chinese players mad about Actiblizz deleting all the cosmetics and skins they paid for, which is a very understandable thing to be mad about

Imagine giving Actiblizz money. They should give themselves a negative review.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Assepoester posted:

Ooh, that's news to me. Story/link?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Commander Keene posted:

Is that supposed to help them avoid people reporting the stolen account to Valve or something?
It's so you can't message them back and potentially pop up on the actual user's screen and let them know scammers have their login and are impersonating them

Koburn posted:

Imagine giving Actiblizz money. They should give themselves a negative review.
I guess technically they thought they were giving NetEase money, not that they aren't scummy as well.

Serephina posted:

Ooh, that's news to me. Story/link?
Due to the uncertainty with the whole "being bought by Microsoft" business, Actiblizz terminated their deal with NetEase that allowed them to operate all their games in China, causing players to lose access to their games and accounts and everything:

https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-china-netease-microsoft-warcraft-1850278516

Now that OW2 is on Steam and Chinese users have access to it again, they can't use their old accounts with all their purchases and skins and heroes unlocked and they're understandably mad.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Saoshyant posted:

Good to know. They must have done it after I told them I wasn't going to click on any links. I reported their account as likely compromised.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FishMcCool posted:

It's a Blizzard game, that inevitably comes with a legion of addicts.

Assepoester posted:

I would say Blizzard has gained a dedicated hater group that no other gaming company has to date.
Sure they deserve a lot for past crap they have done, and sure other companies have their hate groups like EA or Konami or 343/Bungie.
But I don't see constant videos complaining about every game or patch release from EA or such,
Hating on Blizzard gets clicks, so you get streamers making videos every time they fart.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the people complaining about every patch are actual players who are too broken brained to stop playing despite hating it
blizz is just too good at player retention

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

the people complaining about every patch are actual players who are too broken brained to stop playing despite hating it
blizz is just too good at player retention

*looks nervously over at the Diablo 4 thread*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I unironically think some games are more addictive than they are fun. The "I can stop any time I want" of video games.