Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

selec posted:

Is it bigotry essential to the belief, or is it crank magnetism?
Both? There's a lot of (for lack of a better word) comorbidities that lead to being a chud. Belief that Bigfoot is real and that the government is nefariously trying to cover it up has a lot of intellectual overlap with things like vaccine denialism, New Age alternative medicine, and freaking out about fluoride in water supplies. All that's much more easily recognizable as being part of the right wing radicalization pipeline now (thanks 2016!).

Hell, modern day George Noory lets callers ramble on about how COVID was a hoax and that the vaccine is the real thing killing people with as much pushback as he gave Bigfoot and Roswell weirdos 20 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Both? There's a lot of (for lack of a better word) comorbidities that lead to being a chud. Belief that Bigfoot is real and that the government is nefariously trying to cover it up has a lot of intellectual overlap with things like vaccine denialism, New Age alternative medicine, and freaking out about fluoride in water supplies. All that's much more easily recognizable as being part of the right wing radicalization pipeline now (thanks 2016!).

Hell, modern day George Noory lets callers ramble on about how COVID was a hoax and that the vaccine is the real thing killing people with as much pushback as he gave Bigfoot and Roswell weirdos 20 years ago.

That’s just crank magnetism. If there’s no actual thread between “Bigfoot exists” and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, then you just gotta be wary, but it doesn’t mean that being a Bigfoot guy or a flat earth guy is inherently reactionary.

It’s like how natural/organic foods have a wide ideological spread, where you’ll have hippie granola crunchers and denim skirt church people showing up to the same coop distribution day. Fringe beliefs exist on the fringe, but you can’t really say what flavor of crank you got until they’re under the microscope. One of my favorite UFO buddies is a communist trans lady so mileage does vary.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

selec posted:

That’s just crank magnetism. If there’s no actual thread between “Bigfoot exists” and the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, then you just gotta be wary, but it doesn’t mean that being a Bigfoot guy or a flat earth guy is inherently reactionary.

It’s like how natural/organic foods have a wide ideological spread, where you’ll have hippie granola crunchers and denim skirt church people showing up to the same coop distribution day. Fringe beliefs exist on the fringe, but you can’t really say what flavor of crank you got until they’re under the microscope. One of my favorite UFO buddies is a communist trans lady so mileage does vary.

Although, someone into one conspiracy theory is often into multiple conspiracy theories, and someone into multiple conspiracy theories is often into at least one involving Jews, and that's across the ideological spectrum.

Edit: I guess I'm mostly agreeing with you, but I don't think there are too many people who think the earth is flat and have entirely normal ideas about the world otherwise, so I'd be much more skeptical than you appear to be.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 12, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

Bigfoot is one thing since you can't prove it doesn't exist, but isn't flat-Earthism inherently reactionary? There is widespread, demonstrable proof the Earth is a sphere. You must reject objective, obvious facts in order to hold the belief.

Same with believing aliens are real, that's not predicated in outright rejecting falsifiable evidence.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Although, someone into one conspiracy theory is often into multiple conspiracy theories, and someone into multiple conspiracy theories is often into at least one involving Jews, and that's across the ideological spectrum.

Edit: I guess I'm mostly agreeing with you, but I don't think there are too many people who think the earth is flat and have entirely normal ideas about the world otherwise, so I'd be much more skeptical than you appear to be.

Everybody’s a crank about something, it’s just whether it’s a social or economic or political belief that makes it different. This is sort of aligned with the idea that nobody is immune to propaganda, an idea that pisses people off despite the truth of it. You dig into anybody’s beliefs enough you’ll find a crank belief somewhere, and if you don’t they’re probably boring as hell. Hell, the president thinks you should lock people up for being addicted to drugs, a crank belief if there ever was one. Plenty of Americans believe in angels, or that their dead relatives have visited them.

Looking down on crank stuff feels like a defense mechanism to me. Like if you explained the Jeffrey Epstein story in broad details in the 90s or early 00s to somebody, that there’s this international playboy child trafficker and he’s good buds with the former heads of state of the US and Israel and pretty much all the big name Science Influencers and he’s got an island with a weird little temple on it and he jets all over the world on his plane of sex slaves, and one of the sex slaves gave a foot massage to the guy who invented Bart Simpson you’d sound like a crank. Whoops, all true.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

selec posted:

Everybody’s a crank about something, it’s just whether it’s a social or economic or political belief that makes it different. This is sort of aligned with the idea that nobody is immune to propaganda, an idea that pisses people off despite the truth of it. You dig into anybody’s beliefs enough you’ll find a crank belief somewhere, and if you don’t they’re probably boring as hell. Hell, the president thinks you should lock people up for being addicted to drugs, a crank belief if there ever was one. Plenty of Americans believe in angels, or that their dead relatives have visited them.

Looking down on crank stuff feels like a defense mechanism to me. Like if you explained the Jeffrey Epstein story in broad details in the 90s or early 00s to somebody, that there’s this international playboy child trafficker and he’s good buds with the former heads of state of the US and Israel and pretty much all the big name Science Influencers and he’s got an island with a weird little temple on it and he jets all over the world on his plane of sex slaves, and one of the sex slaves gave a foot massage to the guy who invented Bart Simpson you’d sound like a crank. Whoops, all true.

Conversely, people who are into crank stuff look down on things like science and "establishment" sources of information as a defense mechanism so they can uncritically absorb their preferred facebook group/conspiracy substack/rando podcaster who's revealing the truth (that coincidentally happens to perfectly align with their pre-existing narrative of the world) that the sheep don't/can't bring themselves to accept.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

Conversely, people who are into crank stuff look down on things like science and "establishment" sources of information as a defense mechanism so they can uncritically absorb their preferred facebook group/conspiracy substack/rando podcaster who's revealing the truth (that coincidentally happens to perfectly align with their pre-existing narrative of the world) that the sheep don't/can't bring themselves to accept.

Absolutely they do. Everybody swims in the waters that make them feel comfortable. I’d argue, however, that having a more rational picture of how things ”really” work is just a project of the self, a way of manifesting a self-image that has little connection with the material circumstances of your life. Being right or wrong about Bigfoot doesn’t seem to determine if you are rich or poor, able to survive in this country or not. The existence of woo woo health fads among the wealthy is proof that knowledge is decoupled from meaningful material gain. Plenty of gainfully employed engineers and law enforcement types I know believe wild rear end QAnon conspiracies.

It literally doesn’t matter what you believe, your life isn’t driven by those things except in the most extreme of circumstances. Believing the earth is flat won’t hurt your NBA prospects, it turns out. You might as well believe what’s the most comforting or amusing things, based on how you feel that day, because being right certainly doesn’t make people happier or more materially comfortable. It’s completely decoupled from those things! Knowledge, in this day and age, is mostly just a hobby.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
sasquatch is my daddy and he's going to protect me

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

selec posted:

Absolutely they do. Everybody swims in the waters that make them feel comfortable. I’d argue, however, that having a more rational picture of how things ”really” work is just a project of the self, a way of manifesting a self-image that has little connection with the material circumstances of your life. Being right or wrong about Bigfoot doesn’t seem to determine if you are rich or poor, able to survive in this country or not. The existence of woo woo health fads among the wealthy is proof that knowledge is decoupled from meaningful material gain. Plenty of gainfully employed engineers and law enforcement types I know believe wild rear end QAnon conspiracies.

It literally doesn’t matter what you believe, your life isn’t driven by those things except in the most extreme of circumstances. Believing the earth is flat won’t hurt your NBA prospects, it turns out. You might as well believe what’s the most comforting or amusing things, based on how you feel that day, because being right certainly doesn’t make people happier or more materially comfortable. It’s completely decoupled from those things! Knowledge, in this day and age, is mostly just a hobby.

It's funny that you should bring up Kyrie in this context because he actually proves the point in my OP, in that his career WAS affected once his proclivity for conspiracy beliefs escalated to promoting an antisemitic documentary.

Edit: And I do happen to think it's gross to revel in a "post-truth" world, so I guess we're opposed on a fundamental level, there. Especially since, again referring back to my OP, people rarely stick to "harmless" delusions. And I'm not just sticking it to Bigfoot believers there, plenty of destructive lies are perpetuated by institutions with power, obviously.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 12, 2023

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
People's (warranted) skepticism or mistrust of what they're told definitely leads them to accepting whatever crazy narrative they prefer. I think the problem is our need to have the answer, to "know" or otherwise be "right". I like to say the question is more important than the answer, because we suck at the answer.

If people could harbor some healthy skepticism and free thinking without diving into the first insane rabbit hole that makes them feel validated, we'd be much smarter. I think it was Bertrand Russell who said we can only approach certainty. I have a lot more sympathy for somebody just generally questioning some official position than somebody substituting their own truth.

Hell, I know people who are/were skeptical about vaccines. I can still talk to somebody like that. Man, who knows right? I don't, I'm not a scientist. But at the end of the day, sure seems like that uncertainty is better than the unpleasant certainty of getting covid or turburculosis or whatever. But the motherfucker who brings it all the way to nanochips and vaccine induced transexuality who has perverted a healthy level of doubt into just believing whatever validates them.

Less harmful, but it's the same with ghosts and aliens and poo poo. Are there things perhaps beyond our ability to truly perceive and understand? Hell, probably. Is your dead grandfather flushing your toilet at night? No dude please stop.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

selec posted:

This is a pretty good case for solipsism, all things considered.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Quixzlizx posted:

It's funny that you should bring up Kyrie in this context because he actually proves the point in my OP, in that his career WAS affected once his proclivity for conspiracy beliefs escalated to promoting an antisemitic documentary.

Yeah, crank magnetism at work! It’s why teaching people that knowledge isn’t power, it’s just a toy now, is ultimately where we should go. People get intoxicated on the idea that these ideas are powerful, but no idea is powerful anymore. Drain the mysticism from knowledge and you drain away that seductive “what’s the next thing they don’t want me to know” feeling. I think in a post-Kojima world it’s the only sensible approach. You can’t know your way out of material circumstances until you know your way into them, which very few people have ever done, compared to the vast inertial mass of humanity that makes up the overwhelming majority of us.

But if you tell people that knowledge offers up power, they’re going to pursue what’s sold as secret knowledge because that must be where the reserves of secret power are stored! In fact, that’s just the tubgirl area of esoterica, and shouldn’t be taken more seriously than the metaphorical reference there. It’s for perverts and gawkers. But that’s an edge case, as I said—very few people have their material circumstances affected by their beliefs, but you will have the odd duck.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

selec posted:

Yeah, crank magnetism at work! It’s why teaching people that knowledge isn’t power, it’s just a toy now, is ultimately where we should go. People get intoxicated on the idea that these ideas are powerful, but no idea is powerful anymore. Drain the mysticism from knowledge and you drain away that seductive “what’s the next thing they don’t want me to know” feeling. I think in a post-Kojima world it’s the only sensible approach. You can’t know your way out of material circumstances until you know your way into them, which very few people have ever done, compared to the vast inertial mass of humanity that makes up the overwhelming majority of us.

But if you tell people that knowledge offers up power, they’re going to pursue what’s sold as secret knowledge because that must be where the reserves of secret power are stored! In fact, that’s just the tubgirl area of esoterica, and shouldn’t be taken more seriously than the metaphorical reference there. It’s for perverts and gawkers. But that’s an edge case, as I said—very few people have their material circumstances affected by their beliefs, but you will have the odd duck.

I think your ideas regarding knowledge would be right at home at a troll farm strategy conference. The fash playbook is to devalue truth/knowledge both ideologically (mocking knowledge workers, devaluing teachers and education, accusing educators of being woke propagandists meant to turn your sons into snowflake femboys and daughters into man-hating feminazis, etc.), and mechanically, by drowning the population in so much contradictory bullshit that:

1. As you correctly point out, the average person's livelihood does not depend on how well they understand how the government functions or whatever, and they don't have the time nor the inclination to validate everything they encounter, so they become demoralized by the endless amounts of competing, irreconcilable nonsense (often meant to tit-for-tat things that have actual evidence behind them, like a Hunter Biden laptop conspiracy theory for every Trump indictment) that is dumped upon them, and decide to either nihilistically disengage in the South Park Millennial sense, or feel validated to believe whatever they want to believe.

2. If you load up a bullshit propaganda shotgun and start firing it at people, it doesn't matter if pellets A, B, and C aren't coherent together, or even all blatantly contradict each other. Person A will emotionally connect with lie A and ignore that B and C contradict A, person B will emotionally connect with lie B, etc. If you carpet bomb people with propaganda, most people only need to feel engaged with one little scrap of it to end up as one in the win column.

In conclusion, I don't agree that devaluing the concept of knowledge, or that knowledge should be considered more valuable when it has verifiable evidence behind it, will cause people to become less irrational, hateful, or destructive, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, there. I do think that perhaps some non-fash groups look enviously at the above playbook's efficiency and efficacy, and wish to employ it for themselves.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
And then there's a point that Hannah Arendt has repeatedly raised: from a political standpoint, objective truth is a coercive and despotic force. Facts famously don't care about your feelings, but they are equally uncaring about your thoughts, your beliefs, your choices, or your consent. Like all tyrants, factual truth demands unquestioning acceptance and forbids debate, which leaves those who disagree with its message and those who object to any coercion in principle with only three options: surrendering, attacking the truth-teller, or retaliating with lies.

Rational policy should be informed by the facts, but it needs to have more than just pointing to said facts and declaring them self-evident. It still requires the hard and resource-intensive work of crafting and selling persuasive arguments that take human factors, including opinions and feelings, into account.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 12, 2023

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
selec, that is a pretty good and briefly enticing rhetorical argument for not caring about knowledge, but it doesn't hold up under scrutiny. Like, we can see the consequences of people lacking knowledge all around us.

(It's kind of like how Republicans have ideas that theoretically make sense - "if we require people to work to get benefits, they'll start a path to a good career!" - but any basic glimpse at material reality shows that the ideas are actually garbage. Man, wouldn't it be nice if people... knew that? With knowledge?)

World Famous W posted:

sasquatch is my daddy and he's going to protect me

Half man and half machine... on the cover of a magazine! Sasquatch is my daddy and he's going to protect meeee!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

And then there's a point that Hannah Arendt has repeatedly raised: from a political standpoint, objective truth is a coercive and despotic force. Facts famously don't care about your feelings, but they are equally uncaring about your thoughts, your beliefs, your choices, or your consent. Like all tyrants, factual truth demands unquestioning acceptance and forbids debate, which leaves those who disagree with its message and those who object to any coercion in principle with only three options: surrendering, attacking the truth-teller, or retaliating with lies.

Rational policy should be informed by the facts, but it needs to have more than just pointing to said facts and declaring them self-evident. It still requires the hard and resource-intensive work of crafting and selling persuasive arguments that take human factors, including opinions and feelings, into account.

When you think about it, physics is rather totalitarian. Who is nature to tell me what the gravitational constant should be?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bigfoot is one thing since you can't prove it doesn't exist, but isn't flat-Earthism inherently reactionary? There is widespread, demonstrable proof the Earth is a sphere. You must reject objective, obvious facts in order to hold the belief.

Same with believing aliens are real, that's not predicated in outright rejecting falsifiable evidence.
Flat Earth is generally nowadays confined to ultra-fundamentalist creationist Christians, rather than mere contrarians. Heliocentrism is the Catholic variety, near as I can tell.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Yeah that's where I draw the line, if it's a 'let's go wander in the woods and hope to see a bigfoot!' it's alright. If it's denying science or creating conspiracies about people it's on track to be hosed up. Alien stuff kind of walks that line because of all the 'area 51 coverup' narratives and history of ties to antisemites like David Icke.

A little playful magical realism is a fun way to use the imagination, but overindulging requires either possessing (or worse, actively cultivating) credulity in a way that could make one more vulnerable to more malicious discourses that hook into the same impulses.

selec posted:

I think this is interesting but kind of myopic. If we're talking simply about possession of facts or beliefs, sure, that's often not a huge direct material advantage. However cultivating a complex of thought processes capable of warding off attempts of others to pull you into scams, hate thinking, or to resist personal despair / self motivate IS important and many bits of knowledge come in handy for navigating the situations a human may or may not encounter. Yes, there's a lot of knowledge that only ends up being an end in itself rather than a means to power, but treating all knowledge as solely a toy is way too caviler when 'ironic' racism/sexism/homophobia is a common onboarding path to radicalized ideology with serious outcomes for society.

MixMasterMalaria fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 12, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

dwarf74 posted:

Flat Earth is generally nowadays confined to ultra-fundamentalist creationist Christians, rather than mere contrarians. Heliocentrism is the Catholic variety, near as I can tell.
Pretty much. Flat Eartherism is a combination of religious zealotry and, like most conspiracy theories, a generalized gut feeling of being lied to (specifically, being lied to by NASA)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Judgy Fucker posted:

Bigfoot is one thing since you can't prove it doesn't exist

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Some Bigfoot hunters are tied up in young earth creationist circles, too. Not nearly as much as with Mokele Mbembe - living dinosaurs would be much more important to creationists - but it's a thing among cryptozoologists.

As I understand it, the underpants gnome logic goes something like "this is a being that science says does not exist - and therefore evolution is wrong."

It's not everyone mind you - but it's a part.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Yeah that's where I draw the line, if it's a 'let's go wander in the woods and hope to see a bigfoot!' it's alright. If it's denying science or creating conspiracies about people it's on track to be hosed up. Alien stuff kind of walks that line because of all the 'area 51 coverup' narratives and history of ties to antisemites like David Icke.

I think the problem is that believing this stuff almost necessarily demands a reason for why other people don't believe this stuff. Once they're convinced that it's believable, they believe it should be convincing and believable for everyone else too. Conspiracy theories are a convenient and attractive way to reconcile "I think this evidence is absolutely convincing and believable" with "the entire rest of the country looks down on us and the scientists say all our evidence is hoaxes". As a result, people with fringe beliefs are highly prone to believing conspiracy theories and adopting other fringe beliefs.

Bigfoot hunters have been organizing expeditions to find him for more than half a century, and they have plenty of supposed evidence of Bigfoot's existence. Evidence that, they think, should be sufficient to prove that he's real. So why doesn't the world accept Bigfoot's existence? Why is the scientific community insisting that all of their evidence is fakes, misinterpretations, and hoaxes? Could it be that their evidence isn't good enough? That's something that they can't easily accept. What other explanation could there be? It's far easier for them to believe that the scientific community is intentionally ignoring and discounting their evidence, whether due to simple denial or due to an active scheme to cover up Bigfoot.

From there, it's easy enough to adopt other unscientific or anti-science beliefs. If the scientists are wrong about Bigfoot or actively covering up his existence, what else might they be wrong about or covering up? That's why cryptozoology is a gateway to the larger world of more dangerous conspiracy theories. Even if Bigfootism itself is relative harmless, it requires actively denying and suspecting the scientific consensus, and that lays groundwork for other beliefs.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I think the other element that makes conspiracies appealing for certain groups is that it deals with an issue that can be frightening: The reason for bad events/suffering may not be necessarily due to malicious actors but due to apathy or ignorance. Conspiracies can serve as a way to avoid confronting with that issue. Instead, they imagine malicious groups so they can pin negative events on them rather than on the casual apathy/ignorance. But when you "figure out" the conspiracy, you feel more in control, since watching these groups is more actionable than doing nothing, while still mostly doing nothing (until someone decides they have had enough and take action).

This does have a lot of similarities with ideas more grounded in reality, such as monitoring groups with a history of problematic behavior, but the fundamental basis is very different.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the issue with this stuff isn't a bunch of people enjoying getting drunk and searching the woods for Bigfoot or talking about aliens. Its the next step when its not just a dumb hobby and becomes a belief. And then you hit the inevitable wall that the rest of society thinks your idea doesn't pass basic scientific method or evidence or whatever. And you either accept that and move on or you have to come up with a conspiracy to justify your beliefs. And once you open that door and start evaluating information and the world in that way the door doesn't close. And since you're already feeling like you're on the fringe and know stuff others don't and people are lying about you're naturally receptive to someone else coming along with some more stuff people don't know and don't want you to find out about.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I was weary about Wisconsin’s Supreme Court victory and wondered what the WISGOP’s next move would be to stop democracy. Well… Looks like they’ll try to have the Senate supermajority begin a impeachment to keep Protasiewicz from having a say in the redistricting.

https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/1690380241070354432?s=46

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 12, 2023

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
But enough about Dan Akroyd

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Plus, just because knowing that the cause of bubble florencence is because of tiny amounts of krytpon gas breifely heating up to the temperature of the surface of the sun don't really help my physical existance doean't mean that doesn't contribute to my rich *inner* life.

Like, gently caress, welding for 11 hours would be really boring if I wasn't thinking about other stuff, you know?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like there's a large gap between modern hoaxes of chupacabras and Scottish lake monsters, and David Icke antisemitic lizardman conspiracies that made him a hero to the Aryan Brotherhood set, or ancient alien theories that amount to "the brown people couldn't do it themselves!"

There's a lot of really loving goofy Bigfoot fanatics in particular, though. And most of us know people who entertain "Politicians are too incompetent to hide the truth but have also successfully hid it for decades" that dominate UFO theorycrafting and also lead down right wing/fascist rabbit holes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fox fired its Chief Legal Officer, evidently because it was his grand legal strategy to take the Dominion defamation case to the Supreme Court.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/11/business/media/viet-dinh-fox-departing.html

quote:

Fox Corporation’s chief legal officer, Viet Dinh, will depart at the end of the year, in a major shake-up at the company after the landmark $787.5 million settlement it paid to Dominion Voting Systems in April.

Mr. Dinh, a former official in the George W. Bush White House who amassed considerable power inside Fox, will advise the company after his exit, Fox said in an announcement on Friday.

Mr. Dinh gave what some inside the company considered flawed advice during the Dominion suit, which exposed a pattern of deceptive coverage by Fox News after the 2020 presidential election. He insisted that Fox was on firm legal footing and could take the case, if need be, all the way to the Supreme Court, where he believed the company would prevail on First Amendment grounds.

Fox did not name his successor.

“We appreciate Viet’s many contributions and service to Fox as both a board member of 21st Century Fox and in his role over the last five years as a valued member of Fox’s leadership team,” Lachlan Murdoch, the chief executive, said in a written statement announcing the move.

Mr. Dinh’s departure raises questions about how Fox will handle the major lawsuits it still faces for airing false claims about widespread election fraud after the 2020 election. Another elections technology company, Smartmatic, has sued Fox for $2.7 billion. And Ray Epps, the man at the center of a widespread conspiracy theory about the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, filed a defamation suit against Fox last month.

The company also faces two shareholder lawsuits related to its coverage and the handling of the lawsuits.

The Dominion lawsuit has been destabilizing for Fox and the family that controls it, the Murdochs. The fallout is posing the most significant challenges the company has faced since allegations more than a decade ago that journalists employed by its British newspaper division were hacking into the voice mail accounts of celebrities.

Emails and text messages that were released as part of the discovery process in the Dominion case revealed that executives at Fox including Rupert Murdoch, the company’s founder, and its news network hosts were deeply skeptical of claims by former President Donald J. Trump that voter fraud was responsible for his election loss. Yet Fox News continued to provide a platform to numerous on-air personalities and guests who made such claims.

In April, the network canceled the program of its most-watched prime-time host, Tucker Carlson, whose private messages showed him to be much more critical of Mr. Trump than he was on his program.

One text, containing a racist sentiment, led the Fox board to authorize an internal investigation, which was one of several factors that contributed to Mr. Carlson’s ouster. Lachlan Murdoch has described the decision to fire Mr. Carlson as a “business decision,” reasoning that the host was no longer worth the headaches he created for the company, according to a person with knowledge of the internal discussions.

Mr. Dinh has been close to the Murdoch family for years and served on the company’s board of directors before being named chief legal officer in 2018. He is also the godfather of one of Lachlan Murdoch’s children.

Mr. Dinh wielded a considerable amount of influence at Fox. But his handling of the Dominion suit dismayed many inside the company, including Suzanne Scott, chief executive of Fox News Media, who is known for her discretion but made her displeasure known to colleagues, according to two people who have spoken to her.

How Mr. Dinh’s departure affects the remaining lawsuits against Fox is an open question. The law firm where he was a partner before joining Fox, Kirkland Ellis, has continued to handle much of the caseload from the Smartmatic suit.

Mr. Dinh was deposed as part of the Dominion suit and acknowledged that he was “skeptical” of Mr. Trump’s false claims.

He leaves with a high-dollar compensation package: $23 million, according to documents filed with the federal government.

Fox News is in a transition period, having shuffled its prime-time lineup for the first time since 2017. Replacing Mr. Carlson is Jesse Watters at 8 p.m. Sean Hannity remains the host at 9, and Greg Gutfeld moved to 10 from 11.

While at Fox, Mr. Dinh was occasionally described as one of the most powerful lawyers in America. Even though he did not run the daily programming at Fox News, he kept a watchful eye over its content, maintaining an influential role over what appeared on the air.

A refugee from Vietnam who arrived at the age of 10, he once told VietLife magazine that he had worked jobs including “cleaning toilets, busing tables, pumping gas, picking berries, fixing cars” to help his family make ends meet. He attended Harvard and Harvard Law School.

And at times he expressed pride in Fox’s contrarian view of the former president, which sometimes led Mr. Trump to criticize the network.

“There is no better historical record of Fox News’s excellent journalism than to see how the former president tweeted against Fox,” Mr. Dinh said.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

So his family released a statement, there are also a number of comments from his neighbors and Mormon congregation along the lines of "He was a nice old man. Sure he liked his guns and hated Biden, but we all knew he''d never really try to assassinate the President." Sticking your head in the sand seems endemic in Utah.

Statement from the Family posted:

We, the family of Craig Deeluew Robertson, are shocked and devastated by the senseless and tragic killing of our beloved father and brother, and we fervently mourn the loss of a good and decent man.

The Craig Robertson we knew was a kind and generous person who was always willing to assist another in need, even when advanced age, limited mobility, and other physical challenges made it more difficult and painful for him to do so. He often used his expert woodworking skills to craft beautiful and creative items for others, including toys such as sleighs, rocking horses, and bubble gum dispensers for the children of friends and neighbors at Christmas time. He was active in his local church congregation and loved the Lord Jesus Christ with all his heart. He was a devoted dog lover all his life, and he lavished his animals with love and affection. He was a lover of history and an avid reader of every kind of book. In his younger years, he was a sportsman and hunter. He was a firearm enthusiast, collector and gunsmith, who staunchly supported the constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms for the purposes of providing food and protection for his family and home. As a safety inspector in the steel industry, he worked diligently and conscientiously to safeguard the lives and well-being of untold thousands who would use, and benefit from, the numerous industrial and public works projects he was responsible for during the course of a decades-long career.

Craig loved this country with all his heart. He saw it as a God-inspired and God-blessed land of liberty. He was understandably frustrated and distraught by the present and on-going erosions to our constitutionally protected freedoms and the rights of free citizens wrought by what he, and many others in this nation, observed to be a corrupt and overreaching government. As an elderly–and largely homebound–man, there was very little he could do but exercise his First Amendment right to free speech and voice his protest in what has become the public square of our age–the internet and social media. Though his statements were intemperate at times, he has never, and would never, commit any act of violence against another human being over a political or philosophical disagreement.

As our family processes the grief and pain of our loss, we would have it be known that we hold no personal animosity towards those individuals who took part in the ill-fated events of the morning of August 9, 2023, which resulted in Craig’s death. We ask that the media and public respect our family members' privacy and give us the time and space needed to come to terms with the sad tragedy of these events.
Some of the other social media posts and pictures of this "firearm enthusiast:"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The crank stuff is weird too because all crank beliefs are magical thinking but specifically the magical thinking we shun and not the magical thinking we embrace in society. Belief in bigfoot? Bad, evil, probably all right wing cranks. Belief in astrology? Fun witches, totally normal, gets published in the daily paper. Belief in divine resurrection and transubstantiation? Here's a tax break.

Even conspiracy thinking, it's bad and aberrant to believe in conspiracies about malicious actors but totally normal and accepted to have beliefs that amount to "everything will work out because important and good people are in charge" which is often just positive conspiratorial magical thinking.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 12, 2023

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Am I a crank if I still believe that the piss tape is real?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trazz posted:

ah yes, the orange pisser, the least elusive of all cryptids.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Trazz posted:

You are on the true path. Stay strong my friend

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Wake up honey, a new "what are you gonna do, stabe me?" just dropped

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Trazz posted:

the only way to be safe is if you own the hat

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This seems important.

Police stage ‘chilling’ raid on Marion County newspaper, seizing computers, records and cellphones

quote:

MARION — In an unprecedented raid Friday, local law enforcement seized computers, cellphones and reporting materials from the Marion County Record office, the newspaper’s reporters, and the publisher’s home.

Eric Meyer, owner and publisher of the newspaper, said police were motivated by a confidential source who leaked sensitive documents to the newspaper, and the message was clear: “Mind your own business or we’re going to step on you.”

The city’s entire five-officer police force and two sheriff’s deputies took “everything we have,” Meyer said, and it wasn’t clear how the newspaper staff would take the weekly publication to press Tuesday night.

The raid followed news stories about a restaurant owner who kicked reporters out of a meeting last week with U.S. Rep. Jake LaTurner, and revelations about the restaurant owner’s lack of a driver’s license and conviction for drunken driving.

Meyer said he had never heard of police raiding a newspaper office during his 20 years at the Milwaukee Journal or 26 years teaching journalism at the University of Illinois.

“It’s going to have a chilling effect on us even tackling issues,” Meyer said, as well as “a chilling effect on people giving us information.”

The search warrant, signed by Marion County District Court Magistrate Judge Laura Viar, appears to violate federal law that provides protections against searching and seizing materials from journalists. The law requires law enforcement to subpoena materials instead. Viar didn’t respond to a request to comment for this story or explain why she would authorize a potentially illegal raid.

Emily Bradbury, executive director of the Kansas Press Association, said the police raid is unprecedented in Kansas.

“An attack on a newspaper office through an illegal search is not just an infringement on the rights of journalists but an assault on the very foundation of democracy and the public’s right to know,” Bradbury said. “This cannot be allowed to stand.”

Meyer reported last week that Marion restaurant owner Kari Newell had kicked newspaper staff out of a public forum with LaTurner, whose staff was apologetic. Newell responded to Meyer’s reporting with hostile comments on her personal Facebook page.

A confidential source contacted the newspaper, Meyer said, and provided evidence that Newell had been convicted of drunken driving and continued to use her vehicle without a driver’s license. The criminal record could jeopardize her efforts to obtain a liquor license for her catering business.

A reporter with the Marion Record used a state website to verify the information provided by the source. But Meyer suspected the source was relaying information from Newell’s husband, who had filed for divorce. Meyer decided not to publish a story about the information, and he alerted police to the situation.

“We thought we were being set up,” Meyer said.

Police notified Newell, who then complained at a city council meeting that the newspaper had illegally obtained and disseminated sensitive documents, which isn’t true. Her public comments prompted the newspaper to set the record straight in a story published Thursday.

This seems like a pretty cut and dry First Amendment violation, but it's worth paying attention to in the long run - let's see how it's litigated, and whether the police get anything more than a slap on the wrist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Even worse, the reporter’s mom died

https://twitter.com/bgrueskin/status/1690506623859519488?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

This seems important.

Police stage ‘chilling’ raid on Marion County newspaper, seizing computers, records and cellphones

This seems like a pretty cut and dry First Amendment violation, but it's worth paying attention to in the long run - let's see how it's litigated, and whether the police get anything more than a slap on the wrist.

It’s amazing anyone believes police are anything other than one more organized crime syndicate unique only in the strength of their ties to local government. Street gangs started as an attempted form of protection for communities as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

The crank stuff is weird too because all crank beliefs are magical thinking but specifically the magical thinking we shun and not the magical thinking we embrace in society. Belief in bigfoot? Bad, evil, probably all right wing cranks. Belief in astrology? Fun witches, totally normal, gets published in the daily paper. Belief in divine resurrection and transubstantiation? Here's a tax break.

Even conspiracy thinking, it's bad and aberrant to believe in conspiracies about malicious actors but totally normal and accepted to have beliefs that amount to "everything will work out because important and good people are in charge" which is often just positive conspiratorial magical thinking.

"There's an invisible man in the sky who tells me other peoples' genitals are wrong" is so tightly ingrained in society that it's even odds that someone quotes me and calls me a le epic euphoric redditor for mocking it.