Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’m a big fan of electronic scores in horror movies. It Follows has some great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqS96JxWVA

And the score to the Maniac remake is a favorite too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eooP5Ouz4

and of course anything John Carpenter does rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I liked Cobweb up until the disastrous last five minutes, but goons should consider watching it anyway for the absolute series of swerves it throws out. The progression of Evil parent movie -> Ghost kid movie? -> Naw, evil parent movie -> Oh poo poo, evil kid movie -> IS THAT A SPIDER WOMAN? is hilarious.

e: It also has a bunch of teenagers getting loving wrecked (I'm not spoiling that because it should be a selling point of any horror movie) and it gives you this:

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 12, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

That being said the ones that stand out kick rear end. Hereditary is an all timer, in that you can hear it in a meme and laugh but still find it haunting. Annihilation is also great too.

Colin Stetson (Hereditary, Color Out of Space, The Menu) is off the chain and he's honestly half the reason why I was looking forward to the Uzumaki anime

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I went to go rent In the Mouth of Madness on YouTube and it was free. If it's true for me, I hope it is true for you as well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

feedmyleg posted:

I went to go rent In the Mouth of Madness on YouTube and it was free. If it's true for me, I hope it is true for you as well.

O heeeeeellll yeah.

I’m even writing a nerd game stealing the plot. I can pretend this is “research”.

Obligato, mon frere.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Youtube actually has a bunch of horror movies that are free on there but its hell to find them.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I liked all the music in Talk to Me, the song that opens it has a lot of energy and the perfect "house party but something hosed is going on" vibe, it used Sia's Chandelier perfectly, the Edith Piaf remix in the 'montage' scene well matched the mix of old and new in that scene, etc., the ending credits song didn't leave a huge impression on me but thought it was fine, and the needle drops overall were good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
WHAT THE gently caress

I must have been in a weeeeeeird mindset when I tried to watch Madness last time a decade ago and fell asleep, because Im halfway through and I'm in LOVE.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

I must have been in a weeeeeeird mindset when I tried to watch Madness last time a decade ago and fell asleep, because Im halfway through and I'm in LOVE.

John Carpenter is one of the only directors I can never imagine anyone falling asleep while watching one of their movies, even lower tier Carpenter is fun poo poo.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wilhelm Scream posted:

John Carpenter is one of the only directors I can never imagine anyone falling asleep while watching one of their movies, even lower tier Carpenter is fun poo poo.

I used to fall asleep to The Thing for a good while as a kid 😌

This is not a knock I just found it comforting lol

Same with Alien

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Wilhelm Scream posted:

In my defense I was very drunk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The first half to two-thirds of Mouth of Madness are absolutely peak Carpenter, can go toe-to-toe with any of his other stuff.

God I wish he worked with Sam Neill more.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I’m a big fan of electronic scores in horror movies. It Follows has some great music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrqS96JxWVA

And the score to the Maniac remake is a favorite too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4eooP5Ouz4

and of course anything John Carpenter does rules

Have you listened to the Taint soundtrack? It’s pretty good, but I can’t in good conscious recommend the movie (I can in bad conscious, however)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Have you listened to the Taint soundtrack? It’s pretty good, but I can’t in good conscious recommend the movie (I can in bad conscious, however)

No, but I’ll check it out!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

The first half to two-thirds of Mouth of Madness are absolutely peak Carpenter, can go toe-to-toe with any of his other stuff.

God I wish he worked with Sam Neill more.

*cough* Memoirs of an Invisible Man *cough*

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Yeah that has its own downsides.

But none of them are on Sam’s performance.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
drat, really wish Rutger Hauer was Cane.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's between owning this or a replica Lament Configuration. Curiousity would get the better of me eventually.

If you go the Lament Configuration route, research before buying. I used to know a couple guys who'd make high end replicas (mahogany & brass) and they'd talk about the cheaply done ones that would end up warping and peeling depending on the environment they're in.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

M_Sinistrari posted:

If you go the Lament Configuration route, research before buying. I used to know a couple guys who'd make high end replicas (mahogany & brass) and they'd talk about the cheaply done ones that would end up warping and peeling depending on the environment they're in.
That does sound important. Have any sites to show us?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Martman posted:

It's been decades since we talked. But I knew them as ToyMaker and Pyramid Gallery on the old Hellbound Web forums. Their work as I remember was on the pricey side, but was the sort of thing you'd put behind glass on a mantlepiece.

Toymaker's site https://www.hellraiserbox.net/index.html#intro
Pyramid Gallery's site (I think) http://www.pyramid-gallery.com/index.html#1749

I'd be very buyer beware with what's on Etsy, and I heard the Neca one was prone to peeling. The big things were to be mindful of dryness and humidity since both could play hell with the materials, same with dust, kinda like how the Book of the Dead editions of Evil Dead 1 & 2 tended to disintegrate after a while. ToyMaker often recommended getting a bell dome display for one's boxes.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The best used to be from hellraiserbox.net. They'd better be for the price.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

:mmmsmug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I’m gonna ruin prince of darkness for everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrH_J5v6VEM

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Origami Dali posted:

The best used to be from hellraiserbox.net. They'd better be for the price.

Imagine completing a knockoff configuration and this happens:

The Priest shows up with a guy in a standard Gimp suit
Priest: That tracksuit makes you look fat.
Victim: Wait, what? I thought you were supposed to give a gift of sensation or power or some poo poo?
Priest: Look, I'm the Hellraiser Judgement priest. If you want to be torn apart for eternity you need the Clayton or Bradley ones, the only thing I'm able to hurt is your feelings. Best I can do for power? 300 extra people in your Scentsy downline. Sorry... That's what you get for getting a plastic Lament configuration from the Forbidden Planet store...

Also unironically, a merchandise thing that I'd love would be a replica Millenium Puzzle from the Yu Gi Oh anime. That look like it would be fun to assemble.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

BioEnchanted posted:

Also unironically, a merchandise thing that I'd love would be a replica Millenium Puzzle from the Yu Gi Oh anime. That look like it would be fun to assemble.

Your wish has been granted (in plastic).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Holy poo poo I'll buy that when I get some money in.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

After seeing the trailer for The Dive, I wonder: does that particular subgenre have a name? Stuff like that, 127 Hours, Fall, The Shallows etc. Cuz I put forward "situation horror".

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After seeing the trailer for The Dive, I wonder: does that particular subgenre have a name? Stuff like that, 127 Hours, Fall, The Shallows etc. Cuz I put forward "situation horror".

I kind of like "situation horror." I think this is at the very least a sister genre to a conversation thread from a few days ago:

Jedit posted:

Best horror movies where the vast majority of the film takes place in one room, go.

My vote for Fermat's Room. Consolation prize goes to 1408.

Crescent Wrench posted:

This is good a time as any to bring this up, but I absolutely love movies where characters are facing a very defined situation/set of circumstances/etc. and have to deduce the rules and use logic and strategy to survive. These are typically horror/thriller/survival movies, but I guess they don't have to exclusively fall into that for me to enjoy them. Exam and Circle are two examples that got me thinking. The Cube series, of course. The Platform. Coherence. Triangle becomes something in this vein. Devil (the elevator one). Frozen (the ski lift one). You can be pretty loose with this definition, though. I think a very early example for me was Night of the Living Dead (being trapped in the house, figuring out how to fortify it, plans to find a vehicle, plans in case of a breach, etc.)

Anyway, I am always, always on the lookout for stuff like this. Even relatively mediocre ones.

Fall is a great example that I could have listed in my initial list as well. (I mean, it's not a great movie, but it sure fits the criteria.)

Keep the examples coming!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Tickets booked for tomorrow. Triple feature of Talk To Me, Demeter, and Meg 2 :hellyeah:

After the long day I'd had I decided near the end to not go through with Meg 2, I'll save that for VOD

As for everything else:

- Talk To Me was incredible, currently my 4th fav horror of the year (1-3 is Beau Is Afraid, Soft Liquid Center, and Enys Men), and that ending is an all-timer in general for me. Extremely hype for the prequel and the sequel now
- Last Voyage of the Demeter isn't my least favorite Andre Ovredal film, that's still Mortal, but while I still liked it it is close. Javier Botet's Dracula is really creepy and we don't get enough of it, but also this is 2 full hours of what's literally 30 pages of a book, so we also get too much in general. Felt pretty stretched, they gave away most of the ending in the first scene even if you hadn't already read those 30 pages, so there was only so tense you could be left by what remained for this "story". But again, I liked it because of what it had despite all that; this Dracula is more memorable than the one Nicolas Cage showed off in Renfield this year (and he's a more intimidating poo poo-talker too, turns out!), there's beautiful atmosphere, there's still some effectively tense moments, and it has one of the better/more traumatic recent first revealings of a vampire in sunlight (I've admittedly been a sucker for those things, when done well they're iconic. This isn't on the level of 30 Days of Night or Midnight Mass but it's aiming for that level and closer than most get)
- I saw a preview for Kenneth Branagh's next Poirot film, A Haunting in Venice. I thought Death on the Nile completely undid the goodwill Murder on the Orient Express gave me, and the cast announcements were underwhelming, but it actually looks interesting. Might wait for the VOD to check it out but either way, hoping this wins me back over on Poirot

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

no.

no no no no no.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've seen it called survival horror.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I liked Cobweb up until the disastrous last five minutes, but goons should consider watching it anyway for the absolute series of swerves it throws out. The progression of Evil parent movie -> Ghost kid movie? -> Naw, evil parent movie -> Oh poo poo, evil kid movie -> IS THAT A SPIDER WOMAN? is hilarious.

e: It also has a bunch of teenagers getting loving wrecked (I'm not spoiling that because it should be a selling point of any horror movie) and it gives you this:

Trying to keep up with what Lizzy Caplan is doing in this movie is enough for a watch.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Its called survival horror.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I think that gets confusing because “survival horror” is also a horror video game genre that contains, like, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Fatal Frame, The Last of Us etc.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Mover posted:

I think that gets confusing because “survival horror” is also a horror video game genre that contains, like, Resident Evil, Dead Space, Fatal Frame, The Last of Us etc.

I don't make the rules

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, most horror movies are about survival.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe elemental nature horror?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I think that I'mma watch Dominion or whatever it was called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
After watching In the Mouth of Madness—what are some of the best executions of the Hobb's End style small sleepy spooky quaint King style town? I've already got Salem's Lot on the list.