Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2023/08...loved-baltimore

It’s hilariously sad that people like this still have a vehicle, let alone a license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

my cat learned how to piss in a box quicker than this man has ever learned any lesson

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Mr. Sharps posted:

my cat learned how to piss in a box quicker than this man has ever learned any lesson

it was funny enough when he was raging about how school wasn't in session when he got his ticket, as if that means he's allowed to ignore the speed limit. but finding out that he does this all the time is even funnier, the universe keeps insinuating that he should stop speeding but instead he's going on a multi-day public freakout about how unfair it is that he smacked his dick into a mousetrap and it had the audacity to slam shut on him again

the entitlement of getting 10 mph of speeding for free and still going faster than that anyway in a marked school zone for like the 20th time and then taking to twitter to whine about it... pure carbrain

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

firemen need training on the proper use of traffic cones, lol.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
the fix for self-driving cars is simple: cone them, tow them and require a corporate representitive to come bail them out of impound for every infraction. Rack up more than a few and you lose your certification and need to re-certify before any of your fleet is allowed on public roads again.

it's also completely anaethmea to laziz-faire capitalism so they'll just do whatever and kill people and random shlubs paid minimum wage will go to jail for it.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
obviously no self-driving car will ever function properly because lol, lmao. But idiot capital pretends they will so sure, play along with their stupidity but don't let them continually endanger the public with no repercussions.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

spacemang_spliff posted:

college football owns but everything around it is garbage.

the Atlantic Coast Conference is talking about maybe adding colleges in California to their conference.

If you play in the Big XII (which was the central plains conference in the 90s) you get to travel from Morgantown WV to Salt Lake City and then back to play a game. Because TV contracts drive everything now lol

this is exactly why it needs to die

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it was funny enough when he was raging about how school wasn't in session when he got his ticket, as if that means he's allowed to ignore the speed limit. but finding out that he does this all the time is even funnier, the universe keeps insinuating that he should stop speeding but instead he's going on a multi-day public freakout about how unfair it is that he smacked his dick into a mousetrap and it had the audacity to slam shut on him again

the entitlement of getting 10 mph of speeding for free and still going faster than that anyway in a marked school zone for like the 20th time and then taking to twitter to whine about it... pure carbrain

the cult of number go up doesn't apply just to money i've found. You've gotta see increases across everything including the speedometer. Hell I've noticed myself doing it while driving before it's insane. Now I don't drive. (poor)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Just drove past a lot with a bunch of those little kei trucks for sale. It’s incredibly funny that the modern truck market in the US is so divorced from the reality of getting work done that people have to import actual useful trucks from elsewhere.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

saw a car carrier full of them on the highway the other day

it is very funny to me in a "lol we're all loving doomed lmao" way that CHRUKS are massive culture war battle tanks owned by car dealership owners and the vehicles people actually use for work are like, dubiously legal japanese microtrucks or white vans

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Harik posted:

obviously no self-driving car will ever function properly because lol, lmao. But idiot capital pretends they will so sure, play along with their stupidity but don't let them continually endanger the public with no repercussions.

What if we put them on a track though, maybe in a tunnel? With like dedicated drop off points and maybe a control center somewhere?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Just drove past a lot with a bunch of those little kei trucks for sale. It’s incredibly funny that the modern truck market in the US is so divorced from the reality of getting work done that people have to import actual useful trucks from elsewhere.
Those trucks don't sell in any real numbers. Anyone who's realistic about their needs buys a maverick or a van.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm impressed at how much GMs un-updated 70s style Savana can still seems to sell, despite being no cheaper than a Transit.

https://www.gmc.com/vans/savana/cargo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Those trucks don't sell in any real numbers. Anyone who's realistic about their needs buys a maverick or a van.

I wonder how much this would change if they were fully street legal.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

in a 8-hour session in which every san francisco agency spoke out against expanding the program, including the police, fire department, and municipal transit agency, on thursday the state cpuc in sacramento approved expanding the self-driving car program in san francisco from 300 cars per robot taxi company to 3000.

also they keep getting confused and stopping on valencia street, the street where the bike lane was moved from the side of the road to the center of the road and which isn't properly bollarded so cars keep driving over the rubber curbs into the bike lane to get around stopped robo taxis. the robo taxi companies are not required to report these incidents
https://twitter.com/Shenanigans_ATL/status/1688400813742493696

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/Gregster56/status/1690255903830990848
cruise is claiming that all these robotaxies got stuck due to partial reliance on cell phone bandwith and that a large outdoor music festival that's going on this weekend cratered bandwith so a dozen cars just couldn't figure out what to do and put on their hazards and stopped. lmao, the loving state just approved these fuckers to increase the number they were running in san francisco by 10-fold earlier that evening over the objections of san francisco authorities. cool poo poo. one of the 4 public utilities commission people that showed up to the vote used to be cruise's chief legal counsel as it turns out.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

fermun posted:

cruise is claiming that all these robotaxies got stuck due to partial reliance on cell phone bandwith and that a large outdoor music festival that's going on this weekend cratered bandwith so a dozen cars just couldn't figure out what to do and put on their hazards and stopped. lmao, the loving state just approved these fuckers to increase the number they were running in san francisco by 10-fold earlier that evening over the objections of san francisco authorities. cool poo poo. one of the 4 public utilities commission people that showed up to the vote used to be cruise's chief legal counsel as it turns out.

https://twitter.com/RoeBoeDog/status/1690552618769346561?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

fermun posted:

Because cell phones are a novelty in the year 20....23?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Milo and POTUS posted:

Because cell phones are a novelty in the year 20....23?

i cant believe my most efficient privatized utility built on a knife-edged capacity shat the bed

Palladium has issued a correction as of 10:53 on Aug 13, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1500994623677865990?t=_Y0MrfrCI7Fj1gLJsm0zng&s=19

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I had a catastrophic failure of the rear hub, of my daily driver. A 7 speed cruiser I've tricked out for cargo capacity and ride longer and harder than it was built for.

+
2 broken spokes

Managed to limp home the 5km and bought a cone wrench on the way home to get better at hub maintenance

Organised to buy a near identical second hand bicycle on marketplace for 50 Bux as a donor bike and now have a small bank of parts if anything else breaks in the future

Significant issue solved in less than a day and cheap, cheap bicycles have their upsides and are awesome actually

I'm posting it here as a counterpoint to how much money sinks cars are and how effective my arguably mediocre bikeways are

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder how much this would change if they were fully street legal.
They already are, 25y rule I assumed?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah that's true for the older ones, but surely it's going to suppress the market if they have to be that old

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
truck accident video, not as bad as the wheel jumping car, but it's in the ballpark

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Gz3VAsarbzg?feature=share

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1690444289468510208

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I got paint is not enoughed this weekend. A person getting out of an Uber parked halfway in a painted bike lane opened their car door straignt into my thigh as I was riding past and sent me straight into the curb. I was left with a huge bruise where the door hit me and another one where my leg hit the curb.

I didn't even think to be on guard for something like that since it's so common to see people illegally parked in that bike lane.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Weembles posted:

I got paint is not enoughed this weekend. A person getting out of an Uber parked halfway in a painted bike lane opened their car door straignt into my thigh as I was riding past and sent me straight into the curb. I was left with a huge bruise where the door hit me and another one where my leg hit the curb.

I didn't even think to be on guard for something like that since it's so common to see people illegally parked in that bike lane.

Sucks. Did you get a police report, file a claim, whatever's appropriate where you live?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Sucks. Did you get a police report, file a claim, whatever's appropriate where you live?

Maybe I should have, but I didn't.

Where I live, getting the cops to show up for a non emergency can be a multi hour process and I didn't have much hope that they would do anythingn useful if they did show up.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

BonHair posted:

What if we put them on a track though, maybe in a tunnel? With like dedicated drop off points and maybe a control center somewhere?

that couldn't possibly work. if it could work we would have done it already and our fearless techbros wouldn't need to try to invent it.

This PSA ends exactly the way you think it will.
https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1690734451494715393

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Venting here before I complain to my city councilor/transportation coordinator:

loving cars get all the priority, everywhere, all the time

This is not that big of a deal, but it's annoying how there's no curb cut anywhere near this bike rack. Not a big deal for most bikes, but basically impossible in a cargo bike with kids. It's pretty much like this everywhere. So I end up stopping in the shopping center "street" to unload my kid first before I can mount the curb.

This is just egregious. It's been this way for months. Because this building is under construction, they've basically shut down a mile or more of multi-use path because of this 30 foot chunk being blocked. To get around this, to a place literally across the street, I had to backtrack a mile. EDIT: This is was with my kid in the cargo bike. If it was just me, I would have hopped the curb and taken the lane, but it didn't feel safe to do with my child... which pretty much sums up all interactions with cars.

In a just world, they would have taken a car lane away to create a pedestrian/bicycle right of way around the construction. They do that in some cities, but not here in the burbs.

sim has issued a correction as of 14:36 on Aug 14, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
local traffic enforcers have started handing out tickets to motorcycle riders who idle underneath awnings and bridges and flyovers and other covered stretches of road during rains, claiming that this may cause accidents

now, the most obvious objection to this policy is that it once again caters to cars: if someone is idled along the side of the road, and then they get hit by a car, they didn't cause an accident, the car did. whenever I pass by three, four, six motorcycle riders stopped under a pedestrian overpass so they can put on a raincoat without getting rained-on... I slow down and pull to the left. I should be driving slower in the rain anyway!

moreover, even if, and even after, someone has put on a raincoat, that still doesn't mean they should keep driving/riding in the rain. In a heavy enough rain, it would be dangerous to keep advancing, but apparently stopping is going to be a ticketable offense now, if you're on a motorcycle

it's a dumb policy, and it sucks

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean they ticket car drivers for that here as well, during hail storms people will try to stop and wait underneath overpasses, including bringing eight lane highways to a complete standstill.

Visibility is indeed fine if you slow down a little, they just don't want to risk getting dents.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

obviously we need ambulance trains

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Family's car breaks down and they have to walk (Sad)
Their child is hit and killed by another car (Just one of those things, the car cannot be at fault)
Family shoots and kills the driver of the other car (Sad, a car could have been hurt)
Family steals the dead man's car and gets away (Happy ending - they have a car again!)
https://www.wral.com/story/sheriff-nc-man-shot-driver-after-his-child-was-hit-and-killed-by-car/20999750/

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they left their kids body at the scene

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

safer to hit and run imo. never leave the car

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

God that is so sad. We are so broken.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they should let you stand trial in your car and you can honk at the judge and rev the engine if youre bored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

they should let you stand trial in your car and you can honk at the judge and rev the engine if youre bored

drive thru courthouses for maximum convenience