Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
my posting is powered by the coal and "renewable" burning wood chips of nova scotia. big shoes to fill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I'm a bit of a realist when it comes to housing policy, which is why I think the Liberals should become the anarchist party and allow me and anybody else who wants to live in the STARS Lottery Dream Home Autonomous Zone

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

each helicopter can house 2-6 people we should buy more helicopters!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Puppy Burner posted:

Post cringe that serves only to enrich property developers at the expense of the public good and the future sustainability of the province and I will be an obnoxious human being to you OP. That's called "praxis"

Well, it's the most Canadian post here in a way.

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Bulldoze suburbs, build affordable state housing in its place, embrace Maoism, gang gang

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
it's important to admit to ourselves that even though our realistic leftist goals of "Abolish bedtimes and give bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m the order of Canada for a lifetime of posting" resonates with the poor working class, we have to acknowledge that a majority of Canadians only agree with half of that statement

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 16:29 on Aug 12, 2023

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StealthArcher posted:

Well, it's the most Canadian post here in a way.

not nearly passive enough

now if you will excuse me, I'm going to get a HELOC and buy another condo to list on Air B&B

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

is HELOCopter a thing

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011

pokeyman posted:

is HELOCopter a thing

It's how you join the middle class

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

pokeyman posted:

my posting is powered by the coal and "renewable" burning wood chips of nova scotia. big shoes to fill

it ruled that NS spent so much money on the original “green technology” (scrubbers, etc) for burning their D tier quality coal to prop up Cape Breton

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Isentropy posted:

it ruled that NS spent so much money on the original “green technology” (scrubbers, etc) for burning their D tier quality coal to prop up Cape Breton

look rita macneil's shoulders can only carry so much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Isentropy posted:

It's cool cause now we're giving EverWind hundreds of millions in tax breaks to build mega windfarms across the province*

*that will only be used exclusively to power hydrogen refineries for export to Germany. Oh.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

pokeyman posted:

is HELOCopter a thing

Puppy Burner posted:

It's how you join the middle class

yeah the only under 30s buying houses these days have HELOCopter parents

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pokeyman posted:

is HELOCopter a thing

Yes, the ideal platform for firing rent-seeking missiles.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Houle posted:

I'm pretty sure the plastic bag bans are just ways for grocery stores to charge you. Each and every grocery store bag I've had is reused as a small bin lining.

Now I don't know how many cloth bags I have because I'm too stupid to take the bags out of the car and put them in the cart. I'm pretty sure those bags (which also use synthetic fibers??) do more environmental harm than the clear bag.

Grocery store chains usually fought the bans, they know customers will get mad at them, not regulators.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's so loving stupid, I still need garbage bag liners, so now I'm just buying more useless cloth and plastic grocery bags and then buying plastic bags

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Plastic bags are horrific for the environment. There is a lot of stupid regulation out there, but banning single use plastic bags was not one of them. Even if you buy them as bin liners you are using way way less plastic. I worked at sobeys for way too long, we would go through millions of bags a year at just one location. I'm not making GBS threads you when I say the industry uses billions of them a year in canada. Billions.

Agree that plastic straw thing is going to turn out to be an op years from now, just like oil and gas funding the anti-nuclear movement.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the coffee shop I go to still has plastic straws for my iced coconut coffee and I am grateful because I don’t feel as though I have to drink it in 2 minutes before my straw turns to mush

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
there was a time when they were charging for plastic bags and that loving sucked

it's all so piecemeal. prescription bottles chucked after every refill. single use plastics in packaging. industry getting away with massive amounts of waste. it's maddening.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

anything that has to be made is almost always 100 bad for the environment.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

anything that has to be made is almost always 100 bad for the environment.

Not true! The romans had millions upon millions of single use containers, but they were made of clay. There is a hill in Rome that was created purely because it was the spot where people started tossing their amphorae after they emptied them of their contents. Clay is a renewable resource (sort of, more is being created by erosion faster than we currently use it), and will electric kilns with the potential to run off nuclear/solar/wind you can drastically minimize carbon offput. It would be an amazing building material, but oil & gas subsidies mean that making our building from petroleum products is cheaper. Plus shipping bricks is expensive, but fortunately there is clay everywhere.

RealityWarCriminal posted:

there was a time when they were charging for plastic bags and that loving sucked

it's all so piecemeal. prescription bottles chucked after every refill. single use plastics in packaging. industry getting away with massive amounts of waste. it's maddening.

Yeah this drove me insane working in the food industry. We'd get like 10 - 20 pallets a week of deli containers, plastic bags, plastic signage, etc... All would be in the local landfill within at least a month, if not sooner. Imagine how many styrafoam containers a pallet can hold when they are flat packed.

My art practice revolves around using ceramics to highlight just how bad plastic is. No coincidence there, banality of evil comes to mind when I think of all that plastic waste.

The comparison to lead is also very apt. Lead used to get called a "plastic miracle metal" because anyone could work it very easily. It got into everything, and it took centuries to really figure out how insanely bad it was for us, we are still living with the direct consequences of that. If we make it through the next 100 years people will view us as just as stupid, if not more.

Virtual Russian has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Aug 12, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Virtual Russian posted:

Plastic bags are horrific for the environment. There is a lot of stupid regulation out there, but banning single use plastic bags was not one of them. Even if you buy them as bin liners you are using way way less plastic. I worked at sobeys for way too long, we would go through millions of bags a year at just one location. I'm not making GBS threads you when I say the industry uses billions of them a year in canada. Billions.

Most of the places that implemented plastic bag bans have reusable bags as a replacement (some went back to paper) and those use like 20-100x more resources to produce. The ostensible environmental benefit was to stop people tossing non-biodegradable bags into the street/park/protected wetlands more than actually making a measurable dent in oil/energy usage seeing as people will inevitably toss some smaller number of reusable bags.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

eXXon posted:

Most of the places that implemented plastic bag bans have reusable bags as a replacement (some went back to paper) and those use like 20-100x more resources to produce. The ostensible environmental benefit was to stop people tossing non-biodegradable bags into the street/park/protected wetlands more than actually making a measurable dent in oil/energy usage seeing as people will inevitably toss some smaller number of reusable bags.

Reusable bags get reused. Even if someone throws away 10 in a year it is nowhere near as big a problem.

Why don't we improve reusable bags? I don't see this as a reason to go back to plastic. That poo poo doesn't biodegrade, it just breaks down into tiny plastic particles, it is in all our food, the oceans, it goes on and on...

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Not true! The romans had millions upon millions of single use containers, but they were made of clay. There is a hill in Rome that was created purely because it was the spot where people started tossing their amphorae after they emptied them of their contents. Clay is a renewable resource (sort of, more is being created by erosion faster than we currently use it), and will electric kilns with the potential to run off nuclear/solar/wind you can drastically minimize carbon offput. It would be an amazing building material, but oil & gas subsidies mean that making our building from petroleum products is cheaper. Plus shipping bricks is expensive, but fortunately there is clay everywhere

Pretty sure my statement is still true.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Reusable bags get reused. Even if someone throws away 10 in a year it is nowhere near as big a problem.

Why don't we improve reusable bags? I don't see this as a reason to go back to plastic. That poo poo doesn't biodegrade, it just breaks down into tiny plastic particles, it is in all our food, the oceans, it goes on and on...

I still using reusable bags I first got in like 2010. They do wear out but as long as you take even the slightest bit of care when using them regularly, they can be used way more times than is needed to make them less wasteful than the equivalent resources put into single use bags.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

vyelkin posted:

I still using reusable bags I first got in like 2010. They do wear out but as long as you take even the slightest bit of care when using them regularly, they can be used way more times than is needed to make them less wasteful than the equivalent resources put into single use bags.

I have about worn through my last OG LCBO bag, the ones that could fit two twelves each. Those lasted a very very long time

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah the nice cloth ones I have seem to just last forever. I can't remember when I got them.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

Pretty sure my statement is still true.

Totally, but we have alternatives. I also guess my statement hinges on my perception of cermaics as being manufactured, not a natural product, if that is what you are getting at?

Everyone always focuses on inventing our way out of this enviromental trap we are in, but conveniently everyone that could affect change has conveniently forgotten that humanity has had tons of options since the dawn of history. We act like we only ever have made things from petroleum/plastics, and that we must invent a new better even more manufactured material. Its like silicon valley reinventing the train but worse to solve traffic. We could just make buildings from bricks and run electric trains, if we localized production we could significantly reduce global shipping, which last I checked was responsible for entire pertentages of global emissions.

But no, profit must be had.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
reading the toronto star about variable rate fixed-payment mortgages and gotta give the banks credit for coming up with something worse than a simple variable rate mortgage

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the $0.25 paper bags they have at Safeway with no handles are the loving worst

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sometimes if i forget my bags, the no frills or food basics have the cardboard boxes/trays for produce they toss out and i use those to haul groceries to my car

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Virtual Russian posted:

Yeah the nice cloth ones I have seem to just last forever. I can't remember when I got them.

I got mine while living in Corso Italia so, jesus, over 30 years ago? that can't be right I'm not that old

poo poo

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011

Dreylad posted:

reading the toronto star about variable rate fixed-payment mortgages and gotta give the banks credit for coming up with something worse than a simple variable rate mortgage

haha it’s like the worst of both options rolled into one. A fixed payment with none of the protection of a fixed term.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Totally, but we have alternatives. I also guess my statement hinges on my perception of cermaics as being manufactured, not a natural product, if that is what you are getting at?

Everyone always focuses on inventing our way out of this enviromental trap we are in, but conveniently everyone that could affect change has conveniently forgotten that humanity has had tons of options since the dawn of history. We act like we only ever have made things from petroleum/plastics, and that we must invent a new better even more manufactured material. Its like silicon valley reinventing the train but worse to solve traffic. We could just make buildings from bricks and run electric trains, if we localized production we could significantly reduce global shipping, which last I checked was responsible for entire pertentages of global emissions.

i was mostly just being a jerk the clay idea fits well

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Virtual Russian posted:

free trade working as intended

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

half of everything at the grocery store comes in a single use plastic container. i’d focus on the stuff the food comes in, rather than the thing the consumer can avoid by bringing a bag to the store. there should be a $1 surcharge charged to manufacturers for any item that can be packaged in paper, foil, can or glass jar and is not. just take a look in your recycling bin — mine’s not filled with straws. it’s plastic clamshells, bottles and jars.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I have to unwrap a disturbing amount of single books from publishers

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

yellowcar posted:

sometimes if i forget my bags, the no frills or food basics have the cardboard boxes/trays for produce they toss out and i use those to haul groceries to my car

like 30% of people in costco out west do this and only 1% of people out east idgi

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

pokeyman posted:

like 30% of people in costco out west do this and only 1% of people out east idgi

that's how the superstores are doing it for pick up out here I return the empties and get new ones every week works well for me

Now they are trying to get me to buy sturdy plastic bins to load the groceries into but gently caress that the point is to avoid more plastic crap Weston you idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

that's how the superstores are doing it for pick up out here I return the empties and get new ones every week works well for me

Now they are trying to get me to buy sturdy plastic bins to load the groceries into but gently caress that the point is to avoid more plastic crap Weston you idiot

I fought the superstore bins for a while, but they are better than whatever carboard boxes. They are easier to carry and stack and I can fit exactly three in the bottom of my trunk and exactly two more on top of that. And you only have to buy them once.