Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kirios posted:

It’s almost halfway through August and I demand to know why the Cubs haven’t extended Belinger yet.

Thw upcoming FA market is dire and Bellinger is set to cash in bigly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

goms

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So all it took to fix Lance Lynn was to get him away from the CWS' bad vibes

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Traxis posted:

So all it took to fix Lance Lynn was to get him away from the CWS' bad vibes

I said this last month:

No Safe Word posted:

I found the problem with Lance Lynn, it's Seby Zavala:

:v:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Traxis posted:

Is Wainwright a HoFer? My gut says no but he was better than Jack Morris so it's hard to say no.

Wainwright has worse numbers than Tim Hudson who was one-and-done

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

The Meat Man was out of wings, Mr. William Ash More!:argh:
Yadi is a shoe-in though, right

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

mcmagic posted:

I should go back to like 2015 posts back when the Astros were tanking and see if you had Yankees posters posting every little piece of Astros news.

Lol Jesus Christ dude. We all know it was still just a bunch of cubsposters repeating the name Junior Lake as a mantra or something.

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

In 10 years...

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol Jesus Christ dude. We all know it was still just a bunch of cubsposters repeating the name Matt Mervis as a mantra or something.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Anyway I’m choosing to ignore what happened last night because it is too upsetting to contemplate. Big homie should have gone out with the other olds last year

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Incitatus posted:

Yadi is a shoe-in though, right

numbers-wise, absolutely not

depends how many people buy into the “best defensive catcher of all time” narrative

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

numbers-wise, absolutely not

depends how many people buy into the “best defensive catcher of all time” narrative

He has lower dWAR than Pudge and slightly above half the oWAR

Yadi is going to absolutely make it in because he played for the Cardinals and won multiple WS with them

9 gold gloves and 4 platinum gloves at a premium defensive position. He's like a much less exciting Ozzie Smith but he played for one team and that one team has the most insufferable impact on baseball writing lol

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Lol Jesus Christ dude. We all know it was still just a bunch of cubsposters repeating the name Junior Lake as a mantra or something.

I'll never get rid of my signed Junior Lake baseball. One day you'll all see

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Good morning folks. Everyone see Jon Singelton, Astros can't miss prospect, hit 2 bombs last night?

Incitatus
Dec 16, 2005

If Ichiro isn't unanimous, disband the BBWA.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Good morning folks. Everyone see Jon Singelton, Astros can't miss prospect, hit 2 bombs last night?

Dude was out of organized baseball for three years too, wasn't like he's been journeymanning. Great story.

Did MLB relax it's weed testing rules in the most recent CBA

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

zoux posted:

Dude was out of organized baseball for three years too, wasn't like he's been journeymanning. Great story.

Did MLB relax it's weed testing rules in the most recent CBA

It was removed from the banned substances list before the 2020 season I believe. Its dumb as hell that it took the leagues that long because its really good for pain management, which is a constant in sports obviously. The NFL dropping it saved Randy Gregory's career directly.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Forrest on Fire posted:

He has lower dWAR than Pudge and slightly above half the oWAR

Yadi is going to absolutely make it in because he played for the Cardinals and won multiple WS with them

9 gold gloves and 4 platinum gloves at a premium defensive position. He's like a much less exciting Ozzie Smith but he played for one team and that one team has the most insufferable impact on baseball writing lol

I just looked up the WAR leaders among catchers and was shocked to find him below Jorge Posada on the list.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bandire posted:

It was removed from the banned substances list before the 2020 season I believe. Its dumb as hell that it took the leagues that long because its really good for pain management, which is a constant in sports obviously. The NFL dropping it saved Randy Gregory's career directly.

Ricky ;_;

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The lovely thing is they never tested for weed in the bigs IIRC, only in the minors. So if he'd been on the big league team it wouldn't have been a problem. In fact, didn't they call him up to avoid a weed suspension at one point?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Incitatus posted:

If Ichiro isn't unanimous, disband the BBWA.
I think we’re about to see several unanimous inductions in the near future. Ichiro, Beltre, and Pujols.

Rivera paved the way and the only reason Jeter wasn’t unanimous is that one voter thought it would be funny, which it was.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Beltre won't be unanimous, only in our hearts

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I still laugh about Mariano being unanimous. Not only a stick in the eye of the "HURRR NO ONE CAN BE UNANIMOUS" old timers but also a closer which makes them even angrier I'm sure

I thought it would be Rickey, Jeter or Griffey but I'm just glad they broke the seal finally

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I just looked up the WAR leaders among catchers and was shocked to find him below Jorge Posada on the list.
Molina is significantly higher on fWAR because it includes an attempt at framing value.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Poque posted:

Beltre won't be unanimous, only in our hearts
3000 hits for the traditionalists, over 80 WAR for the new wave, and a beloved figure around the game. I think “everybody loves this guy” is an important part of the unanimous checklist and Beltre has that (along with Ichiro and Pujols)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
This may be a terrible poop season for the cardinals but at least now I can focus on talking about what really matters: Yadier molinas intangibles

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Beltre kinda sucked as a Mariner?, IIRC. Could see a spite vote go against him there

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

He looked bad compared to his last year in LA but Beltre still put up 21 WAR in five years with the Mariners

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beltre as a Mariner

2005: 3.2 bWAR
2006: 5.4 bWAR
2007: 3.8 bWAR
2008: 5.6 bWAR
2009: 3.3 bWAR

I recently watched a video about which big signings in the last 25ish years produced the most WAR/$ and both Beltre's Rangers and Mariners contracts were on that list

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Speaking of Cubs legends:

https://twitter.com/CubsZone/status/1690376201691410432?t=XvPiz7ebjfGg0Tia_5Zo4w&s=19

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Intruder posted:

Beltre as a Mariner

2005: 3.2 bWAR
2006: 5.4 bWAR
2007: 3.8 bWAR
2008: 5.6 bWAR
2009: 3.3 bWAR

I recently watched a video about which big signings in the last 25ish years produced the most WAR/$ and both Beltre's Rangers and Mariners contracts were on that list

Is this a case where since WAR wasn't super popular at the time, his defensive impact wasn't fully known? I vaguely remember criticism towards his time in Seattle, which is funny in retrospect.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I feel like the case for Molina’s impact is aided by the Cardinals’ pitching staff/game planning going up in flames the year after he retires.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Twin Cinema posted:

Is this a case where since WAR wasn't super popular at the time, his defensive impact wasn't fully known? I vaguely remember criticism towards his time in Seattle, which is funny in retrospect.

He went from an MVP level player in his final year in LA to an all star level player in Seattle, that's the main thing

His OPS+ other than his walk year was pretty consistent across his Dodgers and Mariners years

Then as a Ranger his bat was way better

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/MandyBell02/status/1690397363360485377

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Haven't heard much from Bote since he was sent back to Iowa :smith:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Haven't heard much from Bote since he was sent back to Iowa :smith:

His stats aren't terrible it looks like. Probably would get a replacement type call if the Cubs didn't have a whole lot of talent around the AAA/call up level.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Beltre never won a ring so he's not a winner. He won't be unanimous.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Beltre should be unanimous for this alone

https://youtu.be/SWBCQBO-DO0

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Beltre and Andrus should go in together

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

Yes. Before his Boston renaissance Beltre was a sort of classic sabr under the radar Hall of Fame case. You can find pieces from BP and the like back then making the case that he should be considered on track, due to his elite defense. Then he just kept hitting deep into his 30’s and all of a sudden he had 3000 hits and was a slam dunk first ballot guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
With all due respect to Adrian and his continued excellence, if Griffey Jr wasn't unanimous, Beltre won't be