Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

say what you will about known creep and vietnamese child killer Lyndon Johnson but he never spent a year's pay to have anyone haul him and his enormous sack up a mountain

Q: How did it feel to reach the summit of the world's highest peak, Mr. President?
A: It was lack sittin' on a waar fince. Split me right hwere ya nuts hang. (shits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

say what you will about known creep and vietnamese child killer Lyndon Johnson but he never spent a year's pay to have anyone haul him and his enormous sack up a mountain

Once you get to the part of doing big adventure challenges like that I think you have to assume they're being sponsored and making bank off insta ads and poo poo. They really did the thing and shilling wristwatches isn't hurting anyone so I say better than most Everest climbers

Yeah I'm a regular critic of the dentists being hauled up everest by severely underpaid poor indigenous people while dumping their trash everywhere and complaining about the service, but this lady and this sherpa are obviously skilled professional climbers setting legit records, and while I hope they both have giant life insurance policies and no young dependents, it's cool and they're cool and I doubt many goons here thinks otherwise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm also pleased that it's listed as her and her sherpa, not "Freda Smith climbed K2 with an assist from 12 sherpas".

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm also pleased that it's listed as her and her sherpa climbing partner, not "Freda Smith climbed K2 with an assist from 12 sherpas".

Fixed for less, uh, ownership

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
As an armchair mountain climber, I appreciate she climbed K2 last. Nothing like announcing, "we're going to climb all these mountains starting with the one that kills 1/6 climbers" to bring out the the humor of the gods.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

As an armchair mountain climber, I appreciate she climbed K2 last. Nothing like announcing, "we're going to climb all these mountains starting with the one that kills 1/6 climbers" to bring out the the humor of the gods.

It's like the gate from the never ending story. If you show up and you're not worthy, k2 fuckin laser eyes you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Tips for climbing K2: sacrifice your horse in the swamp, be confident.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

skasion posted:

Robert Caro’s LBJ biography talks about his first real job being a high school debate coach and when they didn’t win their big debate he got so upset that he ran out of the room and threw up and burst into tears

Since I read this I’ve longed for an inspirational hallmark movie about this just so the obligatory ending montage that tells you what all the kids went on to do can finish with him crying and vomiting and a nice subtitle “Coach Johnson went on to win political office by fraud and in due time became President of the United States”

lmao

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Record-breaking mountaineer denies climbing over dying sherpa on K2

Weird headline, the quote they have from Harila isn't her denying that she climbed over the dying dude. Still pretty grisly, and it's hard to disagree with the other mountaineers saying that if it had been a white person they would have stopped everything to save them.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jamsque posted:

Record-breaking mountaineer denies climbing over dying sherpa on K2

Weird headline, the quote they have from Harila isn't her denying that she climbed over the dying dude. Still pretty grisly, and it's hard to disagree with the other mountaineers saying that if it had been a white person they would have stopped everything to save them.

Not exactly true, the headline is clickbait, if you are incapacitated above the Death Zone (8000+m) and cannot save yourself, you don't have great odds of being saved by anyone else, regardless of the color of your skin, and apparently the dying sherpa was not prepared for climbing, lacking oxygen and proper cold weather gear such as gloves and a down jacket. The guy saying "oh we don't let this poo poo happen in the Alps, they would have saved him" ignores that Mont Blanc is 12,474‬ feet shorter than K2, and far, far less remote. There is basically nothing around K2 except mountains, there's no villages or easy paths to medical treatment there, if you can't save yourself, you die. Hell, Everest is closer to civilization and it still takes a day minimum to rescue someone assuming you can get a helicopter high enough up the mountain to rescue them. K2 and Everest are both littered with people who through bad luck or bad prep got killed by the mountain, and the Malaysian climber who got carried down from the death zone on Everest this year is the exception and very much not the rule. The article also doesn't specify what the sherpa's physical condition was after falling off the mountain, if he had broken bones on top of frostbite and could not be moved, there's gently caress all you can do for him besides perhaps comfort him a bit, and if you linger too long above 8000m, you risk joining the dying man in death.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 11, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This has some more information: https://explorersweb.com/k2-last-three-hours-muhammad-hassans-life/

quote:

Eventually, the pieces of the puzzle start to fall into place.

“A Pakistani climber fell and was hanging upside down for over an hour,” climber Allie Pepper said. “They managed to pull him back up. At first, he was alive, but he couldn’t be saved. Then everyone had to step over him to head toward the summit.”

Luis Soriano was in the second Seven Summit Club team, which reached the summit one day later.

“I talked to the sherpa who saw him fall and who helped Hassan back to the traverse,” he told ExplorersWeb. “Apparently, Hassan slipped and fell, and eventually stopped, face down, crying, until someone managed to drag him back to the traverse.”

The sherpa who helped Hassan was Halung Dorchi Sherpa of 8K Expeditions. He later reported back to his expedition leader, Lakpa Sherpa, who confirmed the facts to ExplorersWeb. “Hassan’s O2 mask broke in the fall,” he said. “Halung Dorchi Sherpa and one of Kristin Harila’s camera operators helped Hassan back to the trail.”

The camera operator declined to comment. We have asked Kristin Harila for comment but are yet to hear back.

Lakpa Sherpa also said that, after Hassan was eventually helped back to the trail [but unable to move under his own power], “he suddenly passed away.”

It sounds like Harila's group did all they possibly could do up there to save him.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

It's not really that different from seeing a bad accident on the side of the road and driving on, it's what most people do it just doesn't make the news.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

nomad2020 posted:

It's not really that different from seeing a bad accident on the side of the road and driving on, it's what most people do it just doesn't make the news.

It's a bit different, they rendered as much aid as they could, but the sherpa was unable to move under his own power, and the people who were assisting him could not spare the supplies or personnel to get him back down. To carry a man down from there takes multiple people, and lots of time since if he is immobile they have to rig up slings and carry bags to basically drag him down the ropes. If he's already heavily frostbitten and been without O2 for a long period, his odds of surviving even if they could get him down to a camp are very low. I've seen what a lot of the route up K2 looks like, and it's not really feasible to carry someone down that, as a lot of it is quite vertical, unlike Everest where you theoretically can get someone back down to Camp 4 and potentially a helicopter may be able to reach the camp, weather permitting.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Exactly, the flashing lights are either there or will come, nothing for me to do but continue on to my destination.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t understand how he didn’t have even a down jacket.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Vegetable posted:

I don’t understand how he didn’t have even a down jacket.
I saw that and wondered. A typical thing for people freezing to death to do is to strip off their clothes.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
On the one hand I get it, death zone and all that, affix your own oxygen mask before attempting to help others, yada yada, on the other hand it's not like this dude was up there for his own personal edification. If he was part of a support team should there not have been some sort of team lead with responsibility for ensuring he was properly equipped to be up there? Anyway let's clap for the record breaker so brave of her to be willing to sacrifice someone else's life to climb a hill.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I saw that and wondered. A typical thing for people freezing to death to do is to strip off their clothes.

He didn't take it off; he didn't have one to begin with

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jamsque posted:

On the one hand I get it, death zone and all that, affix your own oxygen mask before attempting to help others, yada yada, on the other hand it's not like this dude was up there for his own personal edification. If he was part of a support team should there not have been some sort of team lead with responsibility for ensuring he was properly equipped to be up there? Anyway let's clap for the record breaker so brave of her to be willing to sacrifice someone else's life to climb a hill.

It doesn't appear that he was employed by Harila's climbing group from what I can find. What more is it that you think she should have done for him?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jamsque posted:

I don't exactly get what you're getting at, by the time Harila and her team got up there, dude had been hanging upside down from a rope for an hour, with no O2, and no proper cold weather gear, going to assume his jacket and gloves were torn off during his fall from the mountain face. They tried to aid him as best they could, spending about an hour and a half trying to get him moving, but he was unable to move under his own power, and the team had already spent too long trying to aid him. Up there it's literally a triage mindset, you only have so much O2, and so much capability to help someone. If they are unable to help themselves, can you afford to lose the people required to move them down to a lower elevation? Based on your evaluation of their current condition when you find them, will they survive, even if you manage to move them?

E: Apparently the guy who is levelling the accusation was not that high on the mountain, and was piloting a drone instead, but again, if someone can't move under their own power, especially in the conditions that were described on K2 that day (multiple avalanches, and one in the Bottleneck less than 10 mins after Hassan fell), and you can't spend time trying to get him down, there's not much you can do. Guy had apparently extremely poor gear even before falling off the mountain, and was advised by other climbers on the rope fixing team that he needed to descend to lower altitude rather than continuing to climb, but he chose to climb anyways. Apparently there's also an ongoing problem of the Pakistani porters not listening to the team leads due to inexperience when it comes to working the high mountain areas. It is tragic the guy died, however, he made a lot of mistakes to wind up in the situation he was in.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Aug 11, 2023

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I guess I misread the ExplorersWeb piece that got linked, I thought it placed Hassan as a member of Harila's team but he was with a different crew. Still think it was loving irresponsible of whoever was in charge of that crew to bring someone with no experience and inadequate gear up the most dangerous mountain in the world. I'm pretty comfortable blaming the rich white people who want to climb a hill so badly they don't care if people die helping them rather than the dude trying to buy medicine for his sick mother and food for his three kids.

orange juche posted:

Do note that the person accusing Harila of being heartless and leaving a dying sherpa on the mountain, also did the same thing as well, as they were also on K2 that day and summited. Glass houses, stones, etc.

Having re-read the article and an earlier one about that day's summit attempts I think you are wrong about this, the two guys talking poo poo about Harila didn't summit, they were filming with a drone from below the spot where Hassan's body was on the trail.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 11, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Captain Toasted posted:

He didn't take it off; he didn't have one to begin with

it's not clear that this is correct

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Jamsque posted:

I guess I misread the ExplorersWeb piece that got linked, I thought it placed Hassan as a member of Harila's team but he was with a different crew. Still think it was loving irresponsible of whoever was in charge of that crew to bring someone with no experience and inadequate gear up the most dangerous mountain in the world.

Having re-read the article and an earlier one about that day's summit attempts I think you are wrong about this, the two guys talking poo poo about Harila didn't summit, they were filming with a drone from below the spot where Hassan's body was on the trail.

Yeah I caught it later down the article that the article writer was from a team that was piloting drones at high altitude to get pictures to sell to climbers, and they weren't near the incident themselves. From camera shots on the route though, Hassan was off the side of the path directly below a serac in the bottleneck, which is a very very bad spot to be in and have an accident. Even loitering as long as they did to attempt to save him could have been fatal, as the glacial ice in the bottleneck collapses regularly.

quote:

Hassan was an employee of Lela Peak Expedition. Alex Abramov’s Seven Summit Club assigned him to assist the rope fixers during the summit push.

“Before the summit push, all companies provide [workers] to join the rope-fixing team,” Abramov told ExplorersWeb. “We contributed with three Pakistani HAPs. Hassan was one of them.

“We don’t know what really happened because he was ahead of our members and sherpa group,” Abramov added. “Members only saw that something happened at the ropes in the traverse.”

So it looks like Lela Peak Expedition was a subcontractor to Seven Summit Club, and Hassan drew the short straw and got put on the rope-fixing team. He didn't have appropriate gear or training to be working the conditions he was working in, and due to his inexperience, disregarded advice from other people on the rope-fixing team telling him to go down before the accident.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 11, 2023

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
From a a different ExplorersWeb article.

More Summits and a Bitter Aftertaste on K2 posted:

Jon Lawrie of Australia reported on Instagram that he summited K2 without oxygen. “It was a hell of a night/morning with multiple avalanches and sad ends to some people’s lives,” he said, perhaps suggesting there were more casualties.

Lawrie returned with a serious cough and 25% of his sight lost in his left eye (temporarily, he hopes). “However, I believe I had the day of my life, which was what was needed to pull off a no-O2 ascent of this beast.”

These people are out of their loving minds.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jamsque posted:

Still think it was loving irresponsible

:mods:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

it's not clear that this is correct
One of the articles say his team had repeatedly told him to get proper clothing. Doesn’t rule out the possibility that he had a down jacket at some point, sure.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh fair enough my bad, i didnt see that one i guess!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Jamsque posted:

to climb a hill.

Jamsque posted:

to climb a hill

lol watch out you'll cut someone being so edgy

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

HelleSpud posted:

He had an amphibious car and, when he had guests, would pretend the brakes failed and drive into a lake

ted kennedy also played this prank once

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

orange juche posted:

Yeah I caught it later down the article that the article writer was from a team that was piloting drones at high altitude to get pictures to sell to climbers
Okay, the 6Ks have turned into Disneyland.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mods closed the Titan Sub thread so I'll post this here

https://twitter.com/Unexplained/status/1690515770290171904?t=pn6dTfnZV6371sWheytuIw&s=19

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Just LMAO

Ass Technology
Aug 13, 2023

The only fault in this video is lacking the real time comparative that lasts less than a fraction of a second.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rear end Technology posted:

The only fault in this video is lacking the real time comparative that lasts less than a fraction of a second.

If it ran at real time we wouldn't be able to perceive it. Guy there, guy gone.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

It's a tantalising thought to wonder how small you would shrink down to before you went pop. For a microsecond, you could know what it was like to be Peter Dinklage size, or a Luke Skywalker figurine, or even like Matt Damon in that crappy movie. Worth it I reckon

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
(method man voice) i got... janky CF, i got... 3km depth
and i'm about to go get misted
yes i'm about to go get misted

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Worth it to feel my vertebrae crack right for one millionth of a second.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

(method man voice) i got... janky CF, i got... 3km depth
and i'm about to go get misted
yes i'm about to go get misted

cavitation ruins everything around me

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I like the little fireball that blows everything back apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

They encountered a problem and quickly became a solution.