Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
Yeah anything available to purchase right now is the global version which doesn't have the full range of US bands. The Asus USA social accounts have said the US version is coming this month, but no specific date has been announced so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Though, the part about no CDMA support is true no matter the version which means it would never work on Verizon. However, Verizon is the last carrier left that requires that (and they technically don't even need that support there either, but Verizon is going to Verizon.)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
UK network supremacy 4 ever. Must be a pain in the tits to have to check what bands a phone supports.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yep. America is a hellscape both in bands and prices :capitalism:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Verizon doesn't use CDMA anymore in any capacity and hasn't relied on it in years. There are different regional SKUs released for phones all over the place, that's not a US-centric thing at all.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 10, 2023

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

UK network supremacy 4 ever. Must be a pain in the tits to have to check what bands a phone supports.

It's been at least 5-10 years since I have considered this in the US, maybe more.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Ah I didn't realize the US version of Zenphone 10 isn't out yet, that explains it.

Time to put my case back on my Pixel 5, can't live dangerously just yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For the most part you really only have to consider bands in the US if you are on Verizon (or any of their MVNOs like Visible). LTE Band 13 is usually the most problematic as they are the only carrier that uses that band so a lot of smaller phones brands do not bother including it. Asus doesn't include it. Neither does Nothing. OnePlus didn't for the longest time.

Verizon also has to whitelist your device to use on their network too or it just won't activate. Same goes for stuff like Wifi Calling.

Then there's the fact that Verizon's main 5g network is mmWave so if you what THAT support, it's usually only the big phone manufacturers that include it for cost reasons. That's also why the Verizon versions of stuff like the Pixel 7a cost more. The unlocked version doesn't include MMWave while the Verizon one does. Verizon REQUIRES mmWave for any device that they officially sell.

But now there's even more fun stuff to worry about like whether your device supports 5G standalone on your carrier or if your variant supports the optimal band aggregation. None of those are 100% dealbreakers as far as coverage goes though, but they do enhance the experience.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

https://9to5google.com/2023/08/10/android-14-beta-5-pixel/

Android 14 Beta 5 pushing out now. I'm assuming that's Google talk for Release Candidate essentially, so I'd say we'll get 14 in 2 weeks barring any major show stoppers.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hard to say actually. Android 13 had 4 beta versions and Beta 4 was released July 13th and the stable was released August 15th. So, over a month passed before stable came out.

Meanwhile, Android 12 also had 5 betas and beta 5 was September 8th with a release on Oct 19th, so that was over a month.

My gut is telling me that September 11th will be the date. Sept 4th will be too soon most likely, so they'll skip the normal patch release for the full 14 upgrade the following week.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

My memory is as reliable as my Nexus 5x.

Android 14 seems to be a much more conservative release, I've read bits and bobs about it and there seem to be few major things of note, unless I'm missing something?

I never had a Nexus 5x in my life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It is and it isn't.

Biggest change is 64bit only images for supported CPUs so the dropping of 32 bit app support once and for all. Pixels were already soft doing it starting with the 7.

There's just a lot of little UI polish things going on and of course under the hood API changes.

I look at it this way.

12 - Major change, kinda buggy
13 - Clearing up a lot of the functional jank introduced by 12
14 - Polishing 13 and clearing up the UI jank they didn't have time to get to in 13

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What sort of jank sir?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What sort of jank sir?

How much time you got

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The only real issue I've had with my Pixel 7/Android 13 is sometimes it won't wake up the display/fingerprint reader if my phone's been sitting for a minute. The icon for the scanner will still be on the AOD and I can mash my thumb against it or tap the screen forever and it does nothing until I wake it with the power button. I always assumed it was a quirk of my particular Pixel though or maybe some installed app because my OnePlus 11 shows no similar behavior. Otherwise nothing's really bugged me about Android 13.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

How much time you got

Surprise me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just in the past 24 hours:

I can't crop the right side of a screenshot because it does the back gesture no matter how carefully I tap

Autocorrect just doesn't work in some apps with the default keyboard

Smart Lock stops working after a few unlocks and requires fingerprint (which works 25% of the time for me) or passcode again

UI freezing up and requiring a restart

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's little things like bringing back the battery percentage on the first swipe down of the notification shade and giving the "Until" time down on the 2nd swipe.

Tapping on the time on the 2nd shade pulldown takes you to Alarms while it does nothing on 13.

Lock screen shortcut customization.

Just a bunch of density and padding tweaks here and there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pixel astrophotography mode continues to rule

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Caves and ordered a fold5 and spen case. Hope I like this poo poo.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Aware posted:

Caves and ordered a fold5 and spen case. Hope I like this poo poo.

Android Thread: Hope I like this poo poo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pixel astrophotography mode continues to rule

I really need to learn how to do that

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Point at sky take picture done

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
Go into night sight mode and hold the phone still enough until the shutter button changes from a moon to some stars.

You need to be in the actual night sight mode, in regular camera mode with auto night sight it won't change to astrophotography.

You'll probably need to prop the phone up on something or use a tripod to keep it still enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think I have one of those bendy leg phone tripods laying around somewhere, just gotta wait for a clear night then I guess

E: oh there was a tooltip all along

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah a tripod or leaning it against something stable will help a lot. You also need to be in an area with little light pollution to get good results. Also do it on a new moon.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Blurb3947 posted:

Android Thread: Hope I like this poo poo

It arrived. I like this poo poo. Yeah the front screen is a bit crap width wise but functional and my small fingers are fine with the tiny keyboard.

The inner scree is loving fantastic though. Been playing baldurs gate 3 via steam link.

Samsung's multitasking works great especially once you get rid of the navigation bar and notifications bar to use all the space. It probably helps im coming from and s21+ so everything is familiar.

I read a lot of ebooks via google play books on my phone and I feel like the weight and balance isn't an issue for one handed reading at night and the aspect is perfect.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah a tripod or leaning it against something stable will help a lot. You also need to be in an area with little light pollution to get good results. Also do it on a new moon.

I've found it helps to set a 10 sec timer when sitting in a tripod as well. I'm a bit Shakey, and hitting the shutter can knock it out of mode.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Are there different kinds of USBC-aux adapters? Borrowing my dad's truck for long runs to the city to pick up poo poo are brutal with no music. I have one adapter but both my old p6 and my s23 say it's not compatible when I connect it. But a quick search seems to indicate it should be possible.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

usb-c audio can be analog or digital, but in practice most phones only support digital output so the dongle/adapter needs to have an embedded DAC. the cable you have is probably a passive analog one.

if you get a DAC dongle like the $9 apple one you can plug an aux cable into that and it will work

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have never seen a DACless audio adapter sold separately. You normally only get them as included when you buy a phone with hidden analogue output.

And if you plug them into a normal phone you get exactly that message you are describing.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Hey goons, do yall have any recommendations for phone cases with builtin kickstands that also work for portrait mode? I've seen a bunch of cases with kickstands but most only work for landscape.
Specifically looking for one for my Pixel 6, since the old cheapo case I bought for it is coming apart.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Picked up a Philips adapter from Princess Auto. It was in a little bag so I was able to tear it a lil bit and plug it in to see if the message appeared, it didn't. Forgot that I had let my phone nearly die so I had to then charge it for a bit before I could plug it in for music. At least I have one now if I ever need it again.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I just updated to the August 5 security update on my pixel 5, and now my screen feels like it's running at about 40-50 hz instead of 90? it still claims to be running at 90 but it feels like dogshit, has this happened to anyone else? it's persisting after a couple of reboots :(

edit: never mind, it must have just been taking longer than usual to set up the update, it's good now

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 16, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
When you tap on a username or password input field, what tells Android to offer the password manager button on the keyboard? I figure that the app or website has to first indicate that the field is for credentials, but assuming that's happening what receives that information, please the browser, the keyboard, or the OS?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/140786115
:toot: Bug from 2019 finally closed. Anybody know, when does that sort of thing arrive at an actual release?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VictualSquid posted:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/140786115
:toot: Bug from 2019 finally closed. Anybody know, when does that sort of thing arrive at an actual release?
Unless I misunderstand what this is about, resolving .local addresses to lan ip addresses is a thing that was added November 2021 (to android 12?). I had to look that up a couple of months ago, don't have a link for you. In any case, I'm using it daily. Every so often have to reboot the phone for it to work, but conceptually, yeah.

E: reason I'm mostly back to using ip addresses directly is the hostnames don't work through tailscale, which is an open issue with tailscale

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 17, 2023

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

Unless I misunderstand what this is about, resolving .local addresses to lan ip addresses is a thing that was added November 2021 (to android 12?). I had to look that up a couple of months ago, don't have a link for you. In any case, I'm using it daily. Every so often have to reboot the phone for it to work, but conceptually, yeah.

E: reason I'm mostly back to using ip addresses directly is the hostnames don't work through tailscale, which is an open issue with tailscale

Whoa. I hadn't tried since I set that watch several years ago. And trying it now it didn't work, then I rebooted the phone and it works. Crazy.
Still going to leave most things as IP, so I don't have to reboot regularly.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VictualSquid posted:

Whoa. I hadn't tried since I set that watch several years ago. And trying it now it didn't work, then I rebooted the phone and it works. Crazy.
Still going to leave most things as IP, so I don't have to reboot regularly.
Sometimes it works for weeks without issue, but when it doesn't it's a pain. I had major issues with my isp provided router assigning new ip addresses randomly, which is why I looked into this. DHCP reservations not being an option on their device. Upgraded to a new router, which I'm glad to have done anyway, but the problem was actually a nas with two ethernet ports for different modes of redundancy confusing things, despite it being configured correctly on paper. Just unplugging that second port solved it all. By which I mean, now that I can count on the ip addresses staying the same, it really doesn't matter much whether the hostnames work. It's neat that they added it and I hope they fix the problems with it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Not sure if this goes here or the headphones thread, but I'm using a pair of Galaxy Buds+ with my Pixel 7 Pro and is it normal for BT to have a massive amount of audio lag? I feel it's like a full second behind what I'm seeing on the screen.