Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

I like when he offhandedly refers to the real reason that 401k's exist, which is to make people think The Stock Market is what matters to them financially.

:qq:they're saying the people that own these stocks, they're bad people!:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

poo poo. Does this mean the union is going to cave and get a bad contract?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

dxt posted:

poo poo. Does this mean the union is going to cave and get a bad contract?

capital deploying the heavy weaponry

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

of course a Trotskyist is against the UAW striking

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

kingcobweb posted:

I like when he offhandedly refers to the real reason that 401k's exist, which is to make people think The Stock Market is what matters to them financially.

my dad was (is) obsessed with the stock market for this very reason. he's also a huge idiot.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ok i just have to share this here from our...14th? 15th? CEO in the last 2 years, who finally sat down to talk with union leadership. (bolding mine)

quote:

There were a handful of good questions from the last all-hands meeting that I haven’t had the opportunity to address yet in these posts. Let’s do a quick lightning round on some of the most interesting.

When are you going to meet with the Union?

I’ve been spending a bunch of time meeting individually and in groups with employees, and two weeks ago I had my first opportunity to meet with Bonterra’s Union leaders alongside the non-Bonterra regional Union leadership.

I shared what I truly believe. And that is the fact that, in software, employees have most of the power. We win or lose on talent in this business, moreso than in many other businesses. That is why the offices of tech companies, loaded with free food and games and wellness, look like playgrounds to people from many other industries. We are in a constant war for talent and will do what we need to to attract and retain it.

Most unions exist to correct and equalize a dysfunctional and unhealthy employer/employee power imbalance. That is not really the dynamic in software. Instead, our Unions serve to aggregate and amplify the voices of many employees. This has the potential to be a valuable asset in that it can simplify the communication and clarify important employee concerns.

But it can also be destructive if things go south, and the Union leadership and I had candid conversations about the state of the relationship. I won’t go into detail here as its not appropriate, but I found many of their more fundamental requests reasonable and their frustrations understandable. Both sides need to focus on building bridges and taking actions that reestablish trust, and I certainly am committed to doing so. If we are successful at doing so, the Union can be a distinctive strength for Bonterra.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/redstreamnet/status/1689298287784853505

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Anyone know much about plant operator unions in the US? Looks like my cousin is getting the opportunity to join one and I’d like to learn more about them.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
our local bookstore is going on strike on labor day and i think that's great

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Sleng Teng posted:

Anyone know much about plant operator unions in the US? Looks like my cousin is getting the opportunity to join one and I’d like to learn more about them.
International Union of Operating Engineers. i'm a member. it's a politically and economically powerful union, however it's a union that also tends to see itself as a political/lobbying operation. not necessarily left/right, but lobbying and influencing elected officials. it is halfway understandable, given how many jobsites are regulated or run by government

they also have their own healthcare plan, at least in my region, which is absolutely aces (zero cost to employee, no deductible, etc.) very good training/apprenticeship opportunities too.

don't go looking to them for much on social issues or strikes, though. at least that's my experience.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

International Union of Operating Engineers. i'm a member. it's a politically and economically powerful union, however it's a union that also tends to see itself as a political/lobbying operation. not necessarily left/right, but lobbying and influencing elected officials. it is halfway understandable, given how many jobsites are regulated or run by government

they also have their own healthcare plan, at least in my region, which is absolutely aces (zero cost to employee, no deductible, etc.) very good training/apprenticeship opportunities too.

don't go looking to them for much on social issues or strikes, though. at least that's my experience.

Awesome! I was an intern at a chem plant in college and both operators and techs/mechanics seemed to be treated well by their unions so I'm glad that it seems like that has continued. Not surprised about the rest of your post, I did get that general impression. thank you

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I think they still call their stewards business partners lol

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

not my local, we have stewards. but union reps are "business representatives" lol

the local has a president, etc., but the actual person in charge is the "business manager," which has always sounded ridiculous

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

man taft-hartley really hosed everything

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Christ, lol.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

god drat I want one of him for my union
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA2Nvs_m3OM

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Lol gently caress my life admin has thrown me and my coworkers a big ol employment outlook affecting curveball after we all signed individual contracts guess I’m the class salt now!!!!!! :bravo: :sotw: :blastu: :suicide:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Poppers posted:

Lol gently caress my life admin has thrown me and my coworkers a big ol employment outlook affecting curveball after we all signed individual contracts guess I’m the class salt now!!!!!! :bravo: :sotw: :blastu: :suicide:

sounds very bad but I'm not quite sure what this means

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Admin making big unilateral changes = time to organize

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

love to see unions that refuse to recognize the front of house/kitchen staff divisions of labor by the bosses. wishing these comrades full power on this fight, Alamo declared bankruptcy got bought out by private equity firms during the pandemic so I'm sure they're going to go nuclear on these workers

https://twitter.com/screenslate/status/1693667854241988632?s=46&t=xz7oBl2QhVECtGa6D96DKA

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
oh poo poo they went UAW!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would they be able to unionize with UAW? isnt that just car manufacturing stuff?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

why would they be able to unionize with UAW? isnt that just car manufacturing stuff?

very much isn’t. I work for UAW and the whole region is almost entirely academic workers including the UC system.

there’s no rule that says you have to organize with a union based on what the name of the union is, it’s about who has the resources to help and whose goals align with the worker-leaders starting it up.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
uaw ftw

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Stacking up those w's
https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1693742085932027928

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingcobweb posted:

very much isn’t. I work for UAW and the whole region is almost entirely academic workers including the UC system.

there’s no rule that says you have to organize with a union based on what the name of the union is, it’s about who has the resources to help and whose goals align with the worker-leaders starting it up.

oh thats real cool. well here i guess its the same cause you can just sign up with the iww if you want. just generally people join their specific type of work union

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019
So, dumb guy question here: it looks like the california faculty association may strike this fall. Beyond picketing, what else can be done?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Joey Steel posted:

So, dumb guy question here: it looks like the california faculty association may strike this fall. Beyond picketing, what else can be done?

Do you mean what escalations exist beyond a strike for the workers, or what can you do as an outsider who wants to support the fight?

NoU
Dec 31, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

ups teamsters announce the outcome of their ratification vote this evening at 8pm et. whatever way it goes my one hope is that it’s a landslide. a very narrow yes or no is not good for the union - whichever side loses will be angry about it and will blame whatever bad outcomes occur on the [ratification/failure to ratify].

I’m on record as thinking this is a good contract, but it’s up to the Teamsters themselves. if it does go down, I hope it goes down big; if it does pass, I hope it passes big.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

In Training posted:

Do you mean what escalations exist beyond a strike for the workers, or what can you do as an outsider who wants to support the fight?
The first, I'm cfa and this is my first union that I am in. Should I be getting old mothballs and stockpiling Styrofoam or preparing to help hold a sign at a picket line.

Don't know how militant to get here.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ups teamsters announce the outcome of their ratification vote this evening at 8pm et. whatever way it goes my one hope is that it’s a landslide. a very narrow yes or no is not good for the union - whichever side loses will be angry about it and will blame whatever bad outcomes occur on the [ratification/failure to ratify].

I’m on record as thinking this is a good contract, but it’s up to the Teamsters themselves. if it does go down, I hope it goes down big; if it does pass, I hope it passes big.

it passed big!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Congrats to UPS workers on a big win! :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

it passed big!

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1694082131654234112

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Congrats

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

kingcobweb posted:

it passed big!

:discourse:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Joey Steel posted:

The first, I'm cfa and this is my first union that I am in. Should I be getting old mothballs and stockpiling Styrofoam or preparing to help hold a sign at a picket line.

Don't know how militant to get here.

I'll try to put some effort into this, so that people in similar situations in the future can reference it

I'm in a union and we might strike, what do I do?

Strikes don't just happen. It's not as simple as some union president says, "we should strike" and then everyone strikes because they're part of a hivemind. Before a strike happens, union leadership (whether formal or informal) should study the situation, with an eye toward a few things:
  • What issues do workers have that could get changed in the next contract? ie, what would we be striking for?
  • How strongly do workers feel about them? Is this a "more money would be cool" vibe or are people pissed about a specific issue?
  • Whatever that issue is, why is management unwilling to change it without a strike? Often, this is a simple "because it would cost money," but it can also be a more complex issue of management wanting control over some non-monetary part of the workplace. Other times, they're being stuck in their ways for absolutely no good reason whatsoever and won't even change something that would help them.
  • If there's a strike, what would management's response be? Can they hire replacement workers or get other employees to fill in? If a strike would have other impacts like Teamsters not crossing a picket, how would management respond to those? (For example, could they figure out a feasible way for managers to pick things up at a UPS warehouse and transport things themselves?)
  • How would a strike impact workers? Does the union have strong strike assistance? Are workers in such a precarious place economically that they couldn't strike for a week without getting evicted?
I think I've talked about escalating actions before, but people newer to the labor movement (and even some veterans) see "strike" as the one and only labor action. A strike is the nuclear option, the threat that's always in your back pocket. As we saw with UPS, it can often be more effective when it's not used, because the employer lives in fear of it happening.

As a rank-and-file worker, you have the power to build up strike power by taking escalating actions. Chat with your union leadership (or become union leadership!), and unless they're completely negligent, they'll jump at the chance to get newer people involved. (Especially since, reading this, you're probably somewhere in your 30s, which puts you at like the younger end of active union folks in every workplace except like Starbucks. The main thing you should be doing is, of course, talking to your coworkers. For what purpose? Another list:
  • In right-to-work states or public sector jobs, get non-members to sign cards. It is insane how many people are like "oh yeah I support the union it's gotten me a great wage, I dunno about signing the card." What the hell!! Sign a loving card!!
  • Engage non-active people (almost everybody). Get people to go to meetings or even just informal hangouts where you talk work stuff. (Organizing in an inactive union can often be like organizing a non-union workplace, in terms of just getting people to talk about issues.)
  • Get pro-union folks to do stuff themselves. Developing worker-leaders is the most important thing in organizing.
  • Talk to "apathetic" people about why the union affects them.
  • And, finally, the fun one: get people to commit to doing actions with you!
So, what are some examples of an escalating action? Get everyone to sign a letter, or wear a sticker, or come to work wearing a union t-shirt. This serves as a "structure test" in the leadup to the strike; people who hesitate or push back on weaker actions like signing a letter are sure as hell going to balk at going on strike, even if they say they'd support a strike. Actions speak louder than words, as the cliche goes, but it's super true here.

In summary: what should you do in the leadup to the strike? Be the person who can organize your coworkers to strike, because you've talked to them and motivate them. You don't need to know 1,000 people on a first-name basis- but you should know 10 people who each know 10 other people who each know 10 other people.

edit: oh and find out how you can become a steward or whatever the equivalent is in your union. This will vary workplace to workplace but I've seen a lot that are just dying to find more people willing to be stewards.

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Aug 23, 2023

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would also add, I understand why you're posting here since it's a good resource. But if your local is in strike preparation mode, definitely use that to talk with coworkers as much as possible about it. The answer to "how militant is this going to be?" depends on the membership & internal organizing strength of the local, not like some switch that a union leader throws.

A (good) steward/rep would be ecstatic for someone to reach out to them with a question like "What can I do to help us get strike ready?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Strikes can also escalate in ways that are efforts to reenergize workers. Especially in longer ones, there will sometimes be specific days where a wider rally around a specific demand is organized, or the picket will move from the workplace to the home of your boss. Or you do publicity stunts like when they kayaked during the UC strike. Or advancing the strike beyond the picket with a call to boycott, or bringing the picket line to secondary workplaces (grocery delivery drivers bringing the picket to a grocery store, for example) which also double as informational pickets for a wider part of the community. Stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/geo3550/status/1694925261949587669