Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

polyester concept posted:

i was hoping for something a lot cooler like the grape monkey refusing future grapes out of solidarity
Simians are too selfish for that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

mystes posted:

:hmmyes:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

still, the cucumber monkey was a lot quicker to turn to direct action than humans

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

We could probably solve income inequality a lot faster if we took a lesson from the monkeys and started ripping off penises and eating faces.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Way ahead of you

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
tfw ur sperry rail is broken and you have to change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImVYyHqaKc

mystes
May 31, 2006

A rail?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

On the one hand, this youtuber's fashion sense is the visual equivalent of nails on chalkboard for me. (The number of rings on his fingers and bullshit on his wrists/belt/etc is absolutely comical.) On the other hand, getting a look at Karahan Tepe is pretty cool and it's actual educational content and not conspiracy theory/ancient aliens bullshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaKFKYPXVk

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 12, 2023

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

have you never met a goth irl

his entire channel is cool, and i am really enjoying his pivot to real archeology content rather than making fun of tiktokers

the joy in his voice when a working phd archeologist responded to his baghdat battery video is great

then him and that dude going through stuff at the penn museum is great

mystes
May 31, 2006

that's goth fashion? I thought they dressed in black

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mystes posted:

that's goth fashion? I thought they dressed in black

The urge to intensely over-accessorize is most common in the teenage goth, but it can be a feature in other style genres as well. Wiccans way too into Stevie Nicks, for example, are very most likely to end up covered in similar levels of detritus.

This guy's style is the kind if thing you'd expect from a 20 year old who spent a summer backpacking and feels compelled to collect bits and bobbles to let the world know how well-traveled they are. I'm sure every one of those items, from that ridiculous belt buckle, to every ring, to every bracelet, to the bandanna around tied around his belt; all have some story behind them that the dude considers intensely meaningful.

I'm sure he'll grow out of it eventually. And yeah, his actual content is actually worthwhile despite his tragic fashion sense.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
gobekli tepe owns

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

On the one hand, this youtuber's fashion sense is the visual equivalent of nails on chalkboard for me. (The number of rings on his fingers and bullshit on his wrists/belt/etc is absolutely comical.) On the other hand, getting a look at Karahan Tepe is pretty cool and it's actual educational content and not conspiracy theory/ancient aliens bullshit.

Let people be in charge of their own presentation, and stop trying to make the world dull and boring.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
His clothes are fine, but I have a policy against watching videos where the thumbnail has someone with their mouth open.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

FMguru posted:

gobekli tepe owns

yeah that was pretty cool.

beats what happened in the us when they unearthed the mississippian culture around st. louis. there was a highway scheduled to be built through some of the sites so they had to scramble as many archaeologists as they could find and do some emergency archaeology.

that video really is impressive with the scale they’re showing and how much is left to be excavated. good poo poo.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXMgeW7SzA0

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Salt Fish posted:

His clothes are fine, but I have a policy against watching videos where the thumbnail has someone with their mouth open.

so you don’t watch youtube then huh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will never understand goons digging their heels in over YouTube thumbnails.

youtubers are doing thumbnails the way they’re doing them to get the algorithm to not push them to the bottom of the barrel. it’s a necessity, not a desire for anyone, except maybe Mr Beast

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beve Stuscemi posted:

youtubers are doing thumbnails the way they’re doing them to get the algorithm to not push them to the bottom of the barrel. it’s a necessity, not a desire for anyone, except maybe Mr Beast

it's got big "WHY DO THESE RECIPES ALL HAVE STORIES AT THE TOP? THIS IS MADNESS" energy. just deal with it and be glad we still have somewhat functional electric and water/sewer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

im not convinced that it's actually necessary for "the algorithm" but people definitely think it is so same difference

it's amazing how much weird granny magic type poo poo pops up around any sort of black box that people care about. zero to ritual in ninety days.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Ehhh people have done some pretty objective ab testing with same video different titles and the promotion diff is pretty dramatic

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah fair enough then

point re: black boxes stands but im not invested in this being one of em

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

imo it may not even be a black box thing, the average person may just legitimately click on those thumbnails more often.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Content is infinite, you don't lose anything by applying whatever filter. If everyone just didn't click them for a week they'd go extinct and you'd have normal thumbnails again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

imo it may not even be a black box thing, the average person may just legitimately click on those thumbnails more often.
it definitely seems like people on youtube tend to attribute things to "the algorithm" when it might just be user behavior, although I guess it's never clear

For example, I've seen a lot of people complaining that they are getting less views relative to how many subscribers they have and must be getting buried by the algorithm for creating content it doesn't like, and maybe that does happen I don't know, but since it seems like if you don't actually watch videos from a given channel that you're subscribed to for a while, youtube will stop showing that channels' videos as often, so in some cases it might also be possible that they have accumulated a lot of subscribers who lost interest in their videos but didn't actually unsubscribe, but I guess nobody wants to believe that

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

An acquaintance of mine had been trying to become an influencer for a while and went through a period of loudly complaining about how “they’ve got me shadow-banned!” because they weren’t getting any views or subscribers. Finally a mutual friend finally sat them down and explained to them that their content was just really mediocre.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that karahan tepe video was cool, and that milo guy is cool too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A video in my feed the other day had title something like "Porch Thieves Didn't Get This One!" and a thumbnail of a masked person caught on camera stealing a package.

then the video had absolutely nothing about that, it was just a regular unboxing video.

i felt owned, lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

otoh it is kind of bad practice to always implicitly accept the circumstances as a given in stuff like this. i myself do not really want to participate in this "algorithm" system, and while i understand some people are pushed to do so i don't think they'll lose much sleep over me complaining without perfect nuance.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

smh even the antiques roadshow is pandering to the algo

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I will never understand goons digging their heels in over YouTube thumbnails

it’s because no Uber driver will actually suck us off :(

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMGNI--ofU
this whole series is great, as are most of his videos, at least if you're like me and interested in how electronics in synths etc work but didn't pay attention during high school physics

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Beve Stuscemi posted:

veritasium has some video where he talks to mr beast about this exact topic and yeah how if you don’t, how if you close your mouth and don’t look like a moron, you get less clicks

LanceHunter posted:

An acquaintance of mine had been trying to become an influencer for a while and went through a period of loudly complaining about how “they’ve got me shadow-banned!” because they weren’t getting any views or subscribers. Finally a mutual friend finally sat them down and explained to them that their content was just really mediocre.

eeeee

polyester concept posted:

smh even the antiques roadshow is pandering to the algo

lol

toiletbrush posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tMGNI--ofU
this whole series is great, as are most of his videos, at least if you're like me and interested in how electronics in synths etc work but didn't pay attention during high school physics

thankyou for this

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
5 minutes speedrun of a guy building the gingery metal lathe from aluminum castings and some steel plate from the hardware store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBuUOO3qn30

he did a shaper too, if you're into that kind of thing

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

5 minutes speedrun of a guy building the gingery metal lathe from aluminum castings and some steel plate from the hardware store

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBuUOO3qn30

he did a shaper too, if you're into that kind of thing

neat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your monitor

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP7oukgK_1w

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

LanceHunter posted:

i clicked expecting fashion horrors and was met with the most regular guy imaginable

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you like particle physics u should watch this it's sick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUhOL38346Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

hell yeah the guy who is obsessively repairing all of the rust on his landrover discovery posted a bunch of videos that i never noticed over the past few months and now i can binge them all