Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Doh!

Dude, you got shot in the kidney. Not great, but not necessarily fatal. Stop being such a whiny little bitch and go get it sewn up.

Essentially, 50/50 if he gets it looked at.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1755122/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Quality dad-ism.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Kavak posted:

I genuinely do not understand hate-reading comics you dislike and getting worked up about them, the world's stressful enough as it is. That being said:

I truly agree with this and yet the hold 'Luann' has on me in this thread is somehow unbreakable

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

gently caress Cops

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 29-31, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (August 1-3, 1921)

Dok's Dippy Squint Through A Central European Screen Door (November 12, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 15-16, 1938; our first :nws: spoiler for this strip due to seeing a little bit more of Blinky Bloat than anticipated. Also, no Lefty in the 17th paper.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 12, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Technowolf posted:

What did the sea do to you?

I heard it's got all these shapeshifting merfolk smirking around in there

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Dec 9-10, 1963)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Same, tbh

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Tauhid Bondia posted:

I don’t know who raised you animals, but the overwhelming response to this comic was “pee on a tree”.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Or just dispense with the shenanigans for thirty seconds to go "hey look my teeth are about to start floating, can I please use your bathroom"

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Also it is irrational that a man would walk into a bar rather than simply ducking under it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Let he who hath not peed in a secluded patch of woods cast the first stone.

I’ve finished scraping Scary Go Round from the Internet Archive, so once I upload it in chunks to imgur I’ll put together posts for it in advance to make some of the earlier pacing work and start posting if nobody objects.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

It rules that Bizzaro made a joke about prison wine

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Looking forward to the new season of My Name Is Mud

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

The Mozz Always Wins

Everyone weeping at Phantom's funeral, Mozz moonwalking in with a boombox

ALL I DO IS WIN WIN WIN

Kavak posted:

I genuinely do not understand hate-reading comics you dislike and getting worked up about them, the world's stressful enough as it is. That being said:

I can't explain why I enjoy hatereading some comics. I skip over Intelligent Life and Legend of Bill, modern Mark Trail and many others, but for something like Luann, it's just nice to occasionally go gently caress these guys

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Aug 12, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Say what you will about how loathesome everyone in 80s MW is, but at least stuff's happening. I can't wait to spend a week watching Mary and Jeff eating nondescript food on the Rump Raft and saying vaguely pleasant-sounding things about dogs and being old and whatever the gently caress.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Women be embezzling.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Say what you will about how loathesome everyone in 80s MW is, but at least stuff's happening. I can't wait to spend a week watching Mary and Jeff eating nondescript food on the Rump Raft and saying vaguely pleasant-sounding things about dogs and being old and whatever the gently caress.

We just went through a suicidal veterinarian dating story and a daring dog escape. We need a little breather. The last one was way back after Wilbur got dumped.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kazinsal posted:

I’ve finished scraping Scary Go Round from the Internet Archive, so once I upload it in chunks to imgur I’ll put together posts for it in advance to make some of the earlier pacing work and start posting if nobody objects.

Looking forward to it. Pretty sure I read the entire run when it was current, though I wonder how it’s going to hold up after 20-odd years. I used to think that mannered Illustrator artwork was pretty neat, but now?

davidspackage posted:

I can't explain why I enjoy hatereading some comics. I skip over Intelligent Life and Legend of Bill, modern Mark Trail and many others, but for something like Luann, it's just nice to occasionally go gently caress these guys

I too am baffled by the hold Luann has over me… it’s loving awful, I hate it, and I never, ever skip it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

OK so this doesn't play at all in English. In Finnish the word for "school grade", luokka, is the same as the word for "class" as in "First class". And it can be shortened to "1. lk"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 08, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parrots where laws permit; alligators anywhere.

I don't normally care for this comic, but that panel's great.

Two options, in case anyone wants an avatar (although I'm not entirely happy with either).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

In elementary and middle school you're just kind of stuck with the people you're stuck with, but I cannot comprehend why anyone in high school or especially college would voluntarily spend time with this rear end in a top hat.

The first thing they tell you in a psych course is that you should be constantly diagnosing people around you. Wait, wait. No, the opposite of that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 21, 1958)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 21, 1958)

Val, you just killed retreating enemies in a blind rage like a week ago.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kazinsal posted:

Let he who hath not peed in a secluded patch of woods cast the first stone.

That would be cool, I never really read through it.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

If this means I never have to see these stupid idiots on trapeze again then for once Holbrook has done something good. (He will find a way to do underwater trapeze)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 8/11/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 6/28-30/51

Smokey Stover 3/11/56

Everyday Movies 9/2/36

"You know she made the bathing suit she has on. She can run a typewriter, too. Gee, she's talented!"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/25-27/41

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, featuring the joys of having friends who just get you.

Peanuts (August 14, 1976)

Crankshaft

"So until next Wednesday, then?"

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire: Ka-RERUN!

Thimble Theater (March 16, 1940)

Out Our Way (July 16-18, 1942)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Is NuMark ever going to fight anyone that isn't a rich techbro or influencer?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He just fought the cops!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 9/2/36

"You know she made the bathing suit she has on. She can run a typewriter, too. Gee, she's talented!"

I love the attention to detail on the outfits without it ever going completely overboard with the female figure.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

And a new issue of Popcom

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Those Retail strips hit pretty close to home. I'm not an aerospace engineer and I didn't get laid off from NASA, but gently caress Stuart's apprentice. When you have a degree like that and you're applying to a shithole like Grumbel's, it means you're experiencing tough times and need a break.

(Sorry to get into these topics in the Comics Thread but let's just say I have a degree of personal experience with this, and people like that piss me off.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 12, 2023

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

amigolupus posted:

Is NuMark ever going to fight anyone that isn't a rich techbro or influencer?

Maybe when Jules skims an article about another type of guy that annoys her.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Those Retail strips hit pretty close to home. I'm not an aerospace engineer and I didn't get laid off from NASA, but gently caress Stuart's apprentice. When you have a degree like that and you're applying to a shithole like Grumbel's, it means you're experiencing tough times and need a break.

(Sorry to get into these topics in the Comics Thread but let's just say I have a degree of personal experience with this, and people like that piss me off.)

Yeah, you'd think any decent manager's thought process would be more like "Hmm, a highly-accomplished go-getter... and he isn't going to be gunning for MY job the whole time he's working here? Hired!"

Bizarro

The Family Circus

That's a pretty advanced pun for a five-year-old. I think someone's repeating a Dad Joke.

Slylock Fox

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Years ago I was working at a call centre after completing my B.Ed; I already had two other degrees and ABD on a doctorate, but there were no. loving. jobs. anywhere and while it was a poo poo job, the call centre paid well enough and offered benefits. I applied for a position as trainer after I'd been there a while and the guy interviewing me was so hostile that the other people were taken aback. It amounted to "Why is someone like you working here AT ALL? There must be something wrong with you, which would make you a bad candidate for a trainer." The trainer sitting in on the interview was a sweetheart and tried to calm him down but that was that.

(gently caress him though; a few years later I was RUNNING several training departments elsewhere)

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 12, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Oh man, I forgot about this comic. It's painfully true in my experience.

Back in 2006, I applied to JC Penny's because I had an 8-month gap between when I finished undergrad and when grad school was starting. I was going back for biological/biomedical engineering graduate study, and applying for the men's section as a long summer job basically.

The interviewer was very blunt about it during the interview: Paraphrased: "Why should she hire even consider someone with actual career options beyond retail?" She didn't want anyone with any leverage whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball