Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Facebook Aunt posted:

To be clear, by tricksters I meant guys like Loki. Loki is also making all the UFOs. For LOLs.

Bill Cipher is itself a manifestation of Loki so this tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndVFX3L4_sU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

neat

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Wee fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 12, 2023

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

flubber nuts posted:

What if the government was UFOs?

They could just be random buildings, like the alien itself is a building. A whole planet of alien buildings somewhere, the only unassimilated lifeform from the other side of a black hole, is some buildings.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

30 non human crafts are a lot of crafts!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

30 non human crafts are a lot of crafts!

That's a bakers dozen! But like an alien baker who uses base 26'ish(?). Oh god they've captured an alien baker as well!

(would it be rude if we asked them to make just a really nice sourdough loaf? It would right?)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
What in the ever loving gently caress is happening with the ufo community right now? I watched those stupid videos two days ago and dismissed them out of hand, and suddenly this story is all over ufo twitter and taking up the entire front page of r/ufos? :suicide:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

XYZAB posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress is happening with the ufo community right now? I watched those stupid videos two days ago and dismissed them out of hand, and suddenly this story is all over ufo twitter and taking up the entire front page of r/ufos? :suicide:

A community based around being extremely gullible is a wild ride

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Bug Squash posted:

A community based around being extremely gullible is a wild ride

I liked ufology better when it was a much smaller group of extremely gullible bozos. :(

ALSO WHAT THE HELL IS THIS

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
RICHARD!!!! :argh:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Did the pilot whose wife and affair partner had just found out about each other, and who had an elaborate radar dodging suicide route pre-planned in his simulator do a collosally dickish murder-suicide?

No! Aliens! With the Mangosteen!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Mick West interviews a F-18 pilot that knows Fravor (tictac guy). Its two hours long, so I'll summarized the highpoints.

"Gimble" looked like a friendly fighter
"Tictac" looked like a commercial plane
He heard about tictac when it happened, thought it was a joke
Fravor is the opposite of Grusch, never was a UFO guy
Asked Fravor about it later, he was embarrassed :sweatdrop:
Disappointed by the hearing, wanted evidence
He roasted Grusch. Mick loved it :smugdog: Queued snippet
Thought Grusch's credentials weren't impressive, too much of a true believer, embarrassed Fravor
Tictac was worrisome because pilots and seamen saw it
Thought Mick's tictac video was well done

Bonus stuff:
Biggest danger to pilots is crashing into stuff
Pilots deal with a lot of confusion, described some examples
Since :china: spying, pilots use overtuned radar and pick up junk (birds, balloons, drones)
West coast UAPs won't be balloons, east coast UAPs could be due to the jetstream blowing debris
Navy is underfunded and understaffed, don't have time to investigate UAPs
Fravor flew with junior pilots who didn't have experience with complications
Navy pilots always make left-hand turns (???)
A lot of people have clearances, its not special in DC
A lot of guys exploit deployments to call themselves combat vets, talking about Grusch

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

XYZAB posted:

Seems like a normal day over there. The immense loathing they get almost everywhere has been well earned over the decades.

I wish discussions of aliens would be more about talking about physics of exoplanets or abiogenesis and less of whatever the gently caress that garbage is. But anytime you bring up aliens, that stupid poo poo hangs around the air like a nasty fart.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like a normal day over there. The immense loathing they get almost everywhere has been well earned over the decades.

I wish discussions of aliens would be more about talking about physics of exoplanets or abiogenesis and less of whatever the gently caress that garbage is. But anytime you bring up aliens, that stupid poo poo hangs around the air like a nasty fart.

I firmly believe there is life in the many ocean worlds of our solar system - Europa, Enceladus, Titan, Callisto, Pluto, etc.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I had no idea about this. Chimps can memorize and repeat a series of roman numerals in an eyeblink that humans fail with even after decades of attempts. It reminded me a bit of the "vampires" and aliens in Blindsight that had one neurological shortcoming in exchange for massively increased ability in others. loving crazy.
https://twitter.com/BrianRoemmele/status/1213860120058220546?s=20

I can do this on osu with hidden mod though?

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

dr_rat posted:

And by that I obviously mean Edgar Cayce! If he can't ESP if aliens exist no one can!!!!

https://www.edgarcayce.org/about-us/blog/blog-posts/aliens-and-ufos-are-they-real/

When it came to Cayce’s many teachings about sojourning in dimensions of the planets in our solar system, he indicated that these were in one’s soul body, which was like one’s energy field and mind, without a physical form. Here’s a sample of his teachings on this topic:

“As an entity passes on from this present time or this solar system, this sun, these forces, it passes through the various spheres – on and on through the EONS of time or space – leading first into that central force known as Arcturus – nearer the Pleiades. Eventually, an entity passes into the inner forces, inner sense, then they may again – after a period of nearly ten thousand years – enter into the earth to make manifest those forces gained in its passage. In entering, the entity takes on those forms that may be known in the dimensions of that plane which it occupies; there being not only three dimensions as of the earth but there may be seven as in Mercury, or four in Venus, or five in Jupiter. There may be only one as in Mars. There may be many more as in those of Neptune, or they may become even as nil – until purified in Saturn’s fires.”

MIND BLOWN.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

redshirt posted:

I firmly believe there is life in the many ocean worlds of our solar system - Europa, Enceladus, Titan, Callisto, Pluto, etc.

I can't express how cool it would be to find any kind of life there. It would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries in history and inspire hundreds of thousands of kids to go into science all around the world. Also, I guess SETI projects would get massive funding boosts. And more space funding for space infrastructure that would allow us to go out there and study that stuff in more detail.q

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

I can't express how cool it would be to find any kind of life there. It would be one of the biggest scientific discoveries in history and inspire hundreds of thousands of kids to go into science all around the world. Also, I guess SETI projects would get massive funding boosts. And more space funding for space infrastructure that would allow us to go out there and study that stuff in more detail.q

I agree! But it will be very hard. There's the matter of drilling below miles (dozens of miles) of ice out there on moons where the surface temp is -200F or more. Then there's the whole issue of proving the life was native and not brought with the spacecraft.

naem
May 29, 2011

what energy source would life live on miles below ice with no sun

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

naem posted:

Geothermal/hydrothermal, presumably. Kinda like those weird bacteria and archaea that use chemosynthesis to survive on volcanic vents at the bottom of the ocean (and the other bigger lifeforms that survive by eating those bacteria and archaea).

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

naem posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemosynthesis

drat beaten. teach me to refresh.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

GABA ghoul posted:

You could've said that on reddit a month ago. Not now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

temple posted:

blowing debris
Navy is underfunded and understaffed, don't have time to investigate UAPs

Lmao and lol when the most over funded organizations on Earth complains of being strapped for cash

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Chemical energy from the inner core (very hot) mixing with the big giant ocean.

For reference, life existed on Earth for a billion years with no photosynthesis.

naem
May 29, 2011

how much energy are geothermal vents putting out vs the sun, seems like a lot less. I’d worry about sustainability or biodiversity etc

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

how much energy are geothermal vents putting out vs the sun, seems like a lot less. I’d worry about sustainability or biodiversity etc

They don't compare. But they don't need to. As I mentioned, life was created and thrived on Earth for a billion years or more before photosynthesis evolved. There's no reason single cell life would need the Sun at all if under the ice.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

On Earth it's a whole lot less energy, and Earth is fairly geologically active. The ecosystems tend to be fairly samey as well, and what complexity there is tends to come from animals that originated under oxygen rich conditions coming back to muscle out the loser Archean communities. Arguably there's a whole lot more biomass that is making a living doing chemosynthesis in deep rock cracks that are basically impossible to study, but there's nothing multicellular going on there. This is obviously only a single sample so who knows.

Basically I wouldn't be surprised if we find something single celled on Europa, but I'd be pretty surprised if there was complex life.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The sun is nuclear fusion really far away, the core is nuclear fission nearby

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

On Earth it's a whole lot less energy, and Earth is fairly geologically active. The ecosystems tend to be fairly samey as well, and what complexity there is tends to come from animals that originated under oxygen rich conditions coming back to muscle out the loser Archean communities. Arguably there's a whole lot more biomass that is making a living doing chemosynthesis in deep rock cracks that are basically impossible to study, but there's nothing multicellular going on there. This is obviously only a single sample so who knows.

Basically I wouldn't be surprised if we find something single celled on Europa, but I'd be pretty surprised if there was complex life.

Same, I'd be surprised if it was multicellular life, but unsurprised if it was single cell life.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
iirc some of the energy in these icy worlds also comes from the pull of the gas giant's gravity grinding stuff up deep inside the moon

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Mederlock posted:

iirc some of the energy in these icy worlds also comes from the pull of the gas giant's gravity grinding stuff up deep inside the moon

That's why they're hot inside, but organisms (probably) can't use that directly

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mederlock posted:

All the energy comes from that, other than whatever residual energy is present.

Like Enceladus, for example, is only a water world because of its proximity to Saturn and its gravitational effects.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I bet there's some shrimp and crab aliens cuddled around a little hydrothermal vent up there, and u can bet your sweet as they taste incredible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Olewithmilk posted:

I bet there's some shrimp and crab aliens cuddled around a little hydrothermal vent up there, and u can bet your sweet as they taste incredible.

I bet there's some Space Jellyfish who might not taste great or be considered "cute", but they're there.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Olewithmilk posted:

smdh eating our visitors is bad form

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's not what all my vhs rentals told me

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

NoiseAnnoys posted:

A major sect of hunam political thought believes in ritually devouring its ideological progenitor. Can you we do less for our exoshrimp brethren?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

maybealabia posted:

That's why they're hot inside, but organisms (probably) can't use that directly

space is cool as gently caress

https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/resources/17646/enceladus-hydrothermal-activity/

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

redshirt posted:

They don't compare. But they don't need to. As I mentioned, life was created and thrived on Earth for a billion years or more before photosynthesis evolved. There's no reason single cell life would need the Sun at all if under the ice.

All the dragons went underground and breathe up through the ocean floor to make a bacterial legacy. But it's not aliens. It's not the ancient "divers" or whatever, and Atlantis is definitely not a vent system to make exotic fish feeding systems from alien farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Drake no: eating our visitors
Drake yes: eating our visitors out