Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Zodium posted:

that's a benefit imo. it lets me segue into talking about scale, how society is very big and large scale things collapsing looks slow from our smaller scale.

Well my social class is doing fine :smug:

Should have studied harder and got a better job. This is your own fault that medical care isn’t available for you and actively harmful if you can’t afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Folgers faces a lawsuit because they shrinkflated their coffee cans from 51 to 43 ounces, but forget to update the "Makes up to 400 cups of coffee" claim on the packaging. This led to them making the following claim:

mouseprint.org/2022/05/30/folgers-gets-more-coffee-out-of-fewer-beans/

lol

https://twitter.com/Folgers/status/1534181966530203648?t=e9rTuUZXJL8RV0qkKvKqFQ&s=19

New bean technology? May I see it?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

biceps crimes posted:

I'm leaner and more ripped than ever, thanks to shrinkflation

thank you corporations

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Folgers is the coffee that is so far at the bottom of the metaphorical barrel they found a new barrel. Just the smell alone is rancid. Black Starbucks burnt as poo poo coffee is somehow better than the absolute dreck that is Folgers.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Folgers faces a lawsuit because they shrinkflated their coffee cans from 51 to 43 ounces, but forget to update the "Makes up to 400 cups of coffee" claim on the packaging. This led to them making the following claim:

mouseprint.org/2022/05/30/folgers-gets-more-coffee-out-of-fewer-beans/

did they change the instructions from 1tbsp to 0.843 tbsp per cup? no? well then

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
If y'all haven't faced the dehumanizing future and started acclimating your palate to Aldi-brand instant coffee, you will not be tough enough to survive the coming apocalypse.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Haha everything is getting shittier at an accelerating pace

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

If y'all haven't faced the dehumanizing future and started acclimating your palate to Aldi-brand instant coffee, you will not be tough enough to survive the coming apocalypse.

The best pre-roasted coffee is the bulk coffee at WinCo. Buy a bag and grind it yourself.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Koirhor posted:

literally doing more than Michelle Obama ever could to combat obesity, praise be to brands

Soy protein and Whey protein powders have also surged in price with the rest of inflation, which is really loving my budget up. The truth is somewhere in the middle

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Folgers is better than Dutch Bros coffee imo

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

biceps crimes posted:

Soy protein and Whey protein powders have also surged in price with the rest of inflation, which is really loving my budget up. The truth is somewhere in the middle

lmao it's so bad. some brands have doubled in price or more. the silver lining is that since I don't save as much money per gram of dietary protein, my diet has become more varied as a result. but gently caress all these price gouging ghouls

wemgo
Feb 15, 2007
id rather go caffeine free than drink folger’s, ngl. also, tea is right there and is affordable.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I'm dreading when the grocery cabal manages to eliminate Winco, because that bulk bin aisle has been my refuge in this era of outrageous inflation

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

I used to give these to my rats as a treat. Then one day I figured, you know, this flavor blasted stuff is very rich, maybe it's bad for them, I'll buy the regular old Goldfish instead.

I handed one to a rat, she took it in her paws, kind of quizzically examined it for a moment, and then looked straight in my eye as if to say, "What the gently caress is this bullshit?'

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I'm dreading when the grocery cabal manages to eliminate Winco, because that bulk bin aisle has been my refuge in this era of outrageous inflation

There's a reason Kroger and Albertsons want to join forces

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

ScrubLeague posted:

401ks have not existed long enough for an entire generation to live off them in retirement, and you only end up getting about 2% of the wealth created during its entire lifetime

Where do you get that 2% stat? It’s loving insane if true.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i'd like to see the data behind that. maybe on average across every single account, many of which get used for like two years and then an employee leaves and never gets another or whatever

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNwaeUI4IRw

Doug reviews a Chinese luxury car and is shocked that it looks as nice as anything Germany or Japan can make

I'm excited to see more and more of this over the next decade

I feel like one of those things your average american doesn't really get is that they associate China with cheap goods because most american companies that outsource work to chinese factories are intentionally paying the bare minimum for a barely functioning product. Modern knicknacks or tools don't suck because they're made in china they suck because they're made cheaply by the lowest bidder, and they're made cheaply because that's what the outsourcers want. It's not like china doesn't have the capacity to make good luxury goods or high precision/quality components that's simply not what's bought and sold here.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FlapYoJacks posted:

The best pre-roasted coffee is the bulk coffee at WinCo. Buy a bag and grind it yourself.

Their bulk section is pretty good. The granola with dried berries goes great on yogurt.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Twerk from Home posted:

In that case i am going straight to yaupon because I'll be there shortly after.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

PoundSand posted:

I feel like one of those things your average american doesn't really get is that they associate China with cheap goods because most american companies that outsource work to chinese factories are intentionally paying the bare minimum for a barely functioning product. Modern knicknacks or tools don't suck because they're made in china they suck because they're made cheaply by the lowest bidder, and they're made cheaply because that's what the outsourcers want. It's not like china doesn't have the capacity to make good luxury goods or high precision/quality components that's simply not what's bought and sold here.

Yeah just cause "made in China" was a bad thing in the 80's/90's they've never shook the association despite literally almost everything being made there now. Like you said they'll make everything exactly as good as you pay for. Hell, a lot of the cases in a lot of products the fasteners are probably the most critical component and guess what, they're all made in China

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ive bought plenty of good poo poo that was made in china. like basically all air filters are lol

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1690328049454374912?s=20

retirement chat comes up a lot these days given my age and the target people are aiming has gone up with age too.
a couple million with FIRE was trendy for a while but it's not uncommon to hear 5-10 mill in techbro circles now

Just to really :laffo: at this the median income for a person in the US is $54,132 so that means a person would need to dedicate 33 and a quarter years of all their pay before any tax or other deductions to reach this level of savings

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just to really :laffo: at this the median income for a person in the US is $54,132 so that means a person would need to dedicate 33 and a quarter years of all their pay before any tax or other deductions to reach this level of savings

401ks typically compound interest

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

virtually every single apple product is made in china

chinese factories will make whatever you want to whatever spec you want

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That's not really true when you factor in interest. If you're contributing 750/mo since you were 25, or about 16% of the median income, assuming a 6% return/yr you'll have over 2 million when you retire. Additionally if that's to a standard 401k, that's lowering your effective income by 9k a year which would provide a p substantial tax break. That's also ignoring that many employers offering a 401k will have a token match, so depending on how you want to look at it you could either cut that 750 down or you'd be retiring with a couple extra 100k in there.

The big thing though is starting early, that 750 switches to 1500 if you're starting at 35 instead for example. The stark reality is most people can't really afford to live off the median income in the first place, so even 10-15% of the paycheck, even if it's tax advantaged, is too much.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

wemgo posted:

id rather go caffeine free than drink folger’s, ngl. also, tea is right there and is affordable.

Drinking a hot cup of folgers right now. I mean I can tell it's not good coffee, but I dunno it doesn't really taste attrocious to me. I just get those big ol tubs of yuban/folgers/maxwell, whatever is cheaper really cause I don't mind it. I got a cold brewer in the fridge I use during the summer and even cheap stuff tastes real nice made that way.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/openai-may-go-bankrupt-by-2024-chatgpt-costs-company-700000-dollars-every-day-12986012.html/amp

Top is soon.

:sickos:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it's neat how computer brained people never stop and ask why computers didn't just evolve naturally if they're so much more efficient than brains

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

AI research is one of those things where it's like, all the technological advancement in the world ain't gonna stop rents from going up, and the single greatest quality of life improvement we could see in our lifetimes would be a dramatic reduction in rents (or single payer)

"AI will change the world!" Bitch it don't matter if rents still gobble up 50% of people's takehome and medical costs eat the rest

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Zodium posted:

it's neat how computer brained people never stop and ask why computers didn't just evolve naturally if they're so much more efficient than brains
A human brain is OOM more efficient, calorie wise then even the best poo poo out of TSMC, so we can kind of cheat and brute force it by throwing horsepower at it.

also, it says that even if they survived, the things would explode as soon as you had to amortize.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Justin Tyme posted:

AI research is one of those things where it's like, all the technological advancement in the world ain't gonna stop rents from going up, and the single greatest quality of life improvement we could see in our lifetimes would be a dramatic reduction in rents (or single payer)

"AI will change the world!" Bitch it don't matter if rents still gobble up 50% of people's takehome and medical costs eat the rest

AI will revolutionize how claims get denied and optimize rent seeking to levels not thought possible

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
China makes drones that can punch through a thick glass pane ezpz

America makes cars that set themselves on fire

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

A human brain is OOM more efficient, calorie wise then even the best poo poo out of TSMC, so we can kind of cheat and brute force it by throwing horsepower at it.

also, it says that even if they survived, the things would explode as soon as you had to amortize.

yeah chatgpt is basically the equivalent of a car that gets a hundred yards per gallon lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

why not just sell 1 goldfish for $7,000

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Twerk from Home posted:

If y'all haven't faced the dehumanizing future and started acclimating your palate to Aldi-brand instant coffee soykaf, you will not be tough enough to survive the coming apocalypse.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Good. This scam seems to have blown up a lot faster than the others.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah just cause "made in China" was a bad thing in the 80's/90's they've never shook the association despite literally almost everything being made there now. Like you said they'll make everything exactly as good as you pay for. Hell, a lot of the cases in a lot of products the fasteners are probably the most critical component and guess what, they're all made in China

i always think about that joke in back to the future where 1955 doc says oh no wonder this thing failed, it was made in japan

and marty tells him all the best stuff is made in japan

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Car Hater posted:

China makes drones that can punch through a thick glass pane ezpz

America makes cars that set themselves on fire
I think you'll find that a car that sets itself on fire is a greater technical challenge than any drone
- far far too many tech bros, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

economists suggest that no more than 30% of your take home pay should be spent on Goldfish