Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Crab spider on my rhubarb.

Some kind of insect on my arm. I love the big green eyes!

Nothing to see here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
https://i.imgur.com/ryiJTVO.mp4

absolute weird guy here

he monch

sorry about the terrible video but it's v hard to shoot through a window and a screen lol

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Some kind of insect on my arm. I love the big green eyes!

Some kinda mayfly

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Gunshow Poophole posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ryiJTVO.mp4

absolute weird guy here

he monch

sorry about the terrible video but it's v hard to shoot through a window and a screen lol

this is the right thread for terrible video quality to be honest

most of us aren't prepped with amazing cameras when we're running into things and must instead rely on our phones which can vary in results

i love this guy's little monchers!!!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pretty sure that's a girl katydid due to the massive ovipositor.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I got this nice shot of a handsome red dragonfly. They were everywhere around this pond that is part of an art museum’s sculpture garden in the middle of the city. Lots of blue ones too, and butterflies. I guess all you have to do to attract pretty insects is maintain a good pond.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
First time seeing a bee's tongue

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Crab spider on my rhubarb.
a classic country song

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

a classic country song

Only if your wife cheated on you with the crab spider.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

McGavin posted:

Only if your wife cheated on you with the crab spider.

Well that'd just be unrelatable. Now, a spider crab, on the other hand... :heysexy:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sorbus posted:

She's mocking you

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Big buzzy boi on my mailbox

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

KariOhki posted:

Big buzzy boi on my mailbox

Tiger bee fly! Going after them carpenter bee larvae

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sorbus posted:

Bumble gettin' wild lately

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
The funnel web grass spider that got in last week has found itself a very nice abode, but is apparently hungry enough to go for my finger, since it stomped the edge of its hole while I was trying to drop a random tiny flying thing in there.

(Overflow sink hole)

I went out and grabbed some sort of tiny wormy thing for it and dropped that by its hole, but I had to knock twice with the tweezers to get it to come back up. It sat there for a few seconds, over the work thing, before yoinking it back into its hole.

I couldn’t find a fly, tiny cricket, or moth to give it, and I don’t even know if the tiny worm hanging from its own slime is edible. I’ll probably go out later and see if I can catch a moth for it.

Edit: I’m in the US. These guys seldom bite and there are no reports of serious reactions to their bites. Is they weren’t so loving fast, I would have put him back outside.

Also, when I opened the door to go outside to see if I spotted any tiny crickets for spider, a daddy long legs came running in as if it had been waiting outside for hours to come in and use the bathroom. I found it later, eating my cats food and enjoying the air conditioning. Or maybe it was just slurping the oil in the cat food out, I dunno. They just all seem to be very thirsty when they come inside.

Edit2: it hasn’t pushed the worm back out of its burrow, so I guess that was a successful selection for dinner.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 12, 2023

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bored posted:

daddy long legs

Which kind of daddy long legs are we talking?

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece
A fly

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kinda :gerty: on him back

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Imperial Moth spotted at a Taco Bell

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

MagpieConcept posted:

Imperial Moth spotted at a Taco Bell

What did he order?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

McGavin posted:

What did he order?

His order is Lepidoptera, obviously. :v:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Spider with lunch:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Prey looks a bit like a lantern fly, here’s hoping spiders develop a taste for the fuckers

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
No pic but when I was filling up my tires yesterday I saw the teeny tiniest little jumping spider, one of the black/white striped ones like a little zebra. Quick little guy, couldn't have been more than 4-5mm long at most. I used to see a few on my screen door in the spring/summer but haven't seen as many this year, love watching them hunt & how they move :3:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Love those little guys.
Also these

Didn't get a good shot but spotted while mowing my dad's lawn.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Some kind of wallaby on Cradle Mountain.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Scarodactyl posted:

Love those little guys.
Also these

Is that a hummingbird moth? They're really neat, I used to see them back home and they really do look like hummingbirds when they're zipping around.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Captain Hygiene posted:

Is that a hummingbird moth?

Yep

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

katydid!

katydidn't! (it's a leaf-hopper)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Scarodactyl posted:

Love those little guys.
Also these

Amphion floridensis. The Nessus Sphinx.

https://bugguide.net/node/view/3131

Shiney McShine
Oct 12, 2010

paperwork
Personal Earpiece

Scarodactyl posted:

Love those little guys.
Also these

My garden gets regular visits from hummingbird hawkmoths just about every day, right at dusk. You hear the hum of fast beating wings and get excited to catch a glimpse of one as it zooms from flower to flower. Considering their speed and low light conditions though, I've never been able to get a good photo :(

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

the yeti posted:

Which kind of daddy long legs are we talking?

Harvestman. Not cellar spiders. Cellar spiders can hang out inside with no issue. The harvestmen come in for cool air and die. These are big harvestmen, so they are pretty cool to watch, since you can see their little mouth parts working so easily.

I watched a video yesterday where a guy tried to get one to bite him to dispel the myth of them being venomous, and it rubbed stink all over him with its little pinchy mouthparts. But they don’t have fangs. I don’t think he could smell it, but from what I’ve read, their predators can.

From what I’ve read, they are also not venomous.

The funnel weaver, living in the sink, was at his entry today at one point, but didn’t make a grab for me, so I think the worm satiated him pretty well yesterday. He’s farther in the hole. Sleeping now, I guess.

Edit: apparently harvestmen like coffee, cheap hot chocolate, or the combination of the two. Don’t worry, I tapped on the mug after I finished filming to make sure it hadn’t just drowned. The harvestman was on the wall several feet away when I last saw it. There is also a plastic cup of fairly clean water a couple of feet away on the same desk since I’m painting. I think it prefers the coffee.

:nms: if afraid of creepy crawlies. It is really working those little mouth pinchers.

https://imgur.com/a/4rQCTDb

Bored fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Aug 13, 2023

mystery bug
Oct 9, 2021
putting a spoonful of instant hot chocolate in coffee for a lazy mocha is a pro tier move
that guy is goin nuts for Beverage. me too, little buddy, me too

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Cool wasp (ichenumon?) on my weedy lawn.

Not nearly as cool as a harvestman drinking coffee though, that vid could go viral if you plsyed your cards right.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bored posted:

Edit: apparently harvestmen like coffee, cheap hot chocolate, or the combination of the two. Don’t worry, I tapped on the mug after I finished filming to make sure it hadn’t just drowned. The harvestman was on the wall several feet away when I last saw it. There is also a plastic cup of fairly clean water a couple of feet away on the same desk since I’m painting. I think it prefers the coffee.

:nms: if afraid of creepy crawlies. It is really working those little mouth pinchers.

https://imgur.com/a/4rQCTDb

Lol, I missed the edit so I'm glad folks mentioned it. Hopefully they didn't get the jitters :sludgepal:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

this is a thread where jitters are somewhat expected to occur, but it is always kind of folks to spoiler or link the more heebie-jeebies stuff

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
If I were an insect I'd want to be a harvestman. You get to feel like a giant towering monster relative to your food and if you get eaten by something else it'll probably be pretty quick.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

little friend with a lovely web this morning

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of arachnids drinking coffee, isn't caffeine one of those drugs that gently caress up spiders into making crazy webs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BonHair posted:

Speaking of arachnids drinking coffee, isn't caffeine one of those drugs that gently caress up spiders into making crazy webs?

That was the first thing I thought of.

More dangerous than marijuana :v: