Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

History Comes Inside! posted:

One of my colleagues tried to throw me under the bus today, except they chose to do it about something that couldn’t possibly have been me because I’m not there, so ???

Time for someone to take a one-way trip to Singapore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

<puts hand on PIP employees shoulder> We're all going to Singapore someday, you're just going earlier.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

<puts hand on PIP employees shoulder> We're all going to Singapore someday, you're just going earlier.

Scene: aftermath of another Tokyo shootout. Black-suited men lie strewn across the street in a tangled web of debris and blood, unmoving aside from the occasional twitch.
Barudak leans over one of the fallen figures, attempting some futile first aid.

"Will there... will there be a breakroom in Singapore, boss?"
Wiping a tear, Barudak holds a bloodied hand in his own.
"Sure there will, buddy. Ten blends of coffee, and no security cameras. Just waiting for you..."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

teemolover42069 posted:

I called the agent's team leader and showed them what I saw and handed the problem off to them. jesus christ

That sounds more like a hand off to your internal fraud investigative team than their team lead.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cyrano4747 posted:

That sounds more like a hand off to your internal fraud investigative team than their team lead.

Seriously, it sounds like you're handing this off to the person who was able to actually expunge those call records.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Seriously, it sounds like you're handing this off to the person who was able to actually expunge those call records.

I'd be CC'ing this poo poo to my boss as well, you really don't want to be the one left holding the bag when an audit comes up.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

maybe so, but I don't want to step on any toes and the most logical thing to do from that perspective is to hand the problem off to the employee's immediate manager. I also did notify a couple other people in leadership besides them though to be sure. last thing I want to do is cause a shitstorm for leadership above me that comes at them out of nowhere when they could have heard it a lot sooner. i actually think this was just a dumb frontline employee being dumb and not actual fraud though. but on paper it's super sketch

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'd be CC'ing this poo poo to my boss as well, you really don't want to be the one left holding the bag when an audit comes up.

I talked to the team leader about it, told my boss about it, and showed it to a DM and also someone in HR I happen to know. cause yeah, this is not something I want there to be any doubt about whether I took necessary steps to get it addressed

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Splicer posted:

I had my yearly performance review today.

Last year the entire department quit and a new department was hired in. I was hired in a month later as a senior tech. All the junior techs quit a month after that because they were offered better pay and better hours in other companies. I keep the company from burning down solo for 5 months with no handover and documentation that's over a year out of date and spread between four different storage systems, interview new techs, get overruled on my recommendations because they want to hire the least experienced people possible for the lowest pay, spend a month training in the new techs and also continue to keep the company from burning down, get a new boss (foreshadowing), take my first time off longer than 48 hours since I joined, come back, fix the impressive number of things the that broke or were broken and also continue to train in the new techs and also continue to keep the company from burning down, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every 30 minutes, begin offloading tasks to them, deal with multiple major incidents as the pigeons come home to roost on a bunch of hackwork from the previous previous team, get the new techs up to a level where they can do a meaningful amount of work without coming to me every two hours, begin offloading more tasks to them, finally have time to start into pro-active support, begin prioritizing the hackwork that needs to be resolved, begin offloading pro-active support tasks onto the new techs, fully root cause the previous major incidents and identify a major process gap in the largest, most critical flow in the company with "call the lawyers" level unreported breaches occurring back to over literal years, report it, resolve the root cause, remediate the breaches, complete a whole bunch of major business requested projects in tandem with all of the above, have yearly review.

"I put you down as "developing" because you're still "developing" into the role of team lead."

Reminds me of when I was moved to a new hospital to run all the different facets of security to discover:

The had no operations manual
No idea what doors, cameras, and access points worked/were monitored/who had access to what
Had floor plans so out of date they were missing entire buildings
Didn’t have an accurate account of who had what keys to where
Didn’t have any form of standardised ID system to check who was coming or going
Weren’t even expecting me

I worked my little white rear end off to get that place up to spec and designed an operations manual from the ground up, including mapping out the campus, permanently securing unused access points and bringing 50 billion independent sections under one efficient umbrella.

Never even got a well done from my boss and when I resigned his GF got my job with a fancy title and pay rise.

The lesson here is: Never try.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is this thread an appropriate place to talk about specific people at work that are not boss/manager related? Just like "general coworker bitching" or should I take it to some thread in PYF?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Go ahead, the threads all encompassing now

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The project: the managers don't think anyone talks to each other when remote working so now we have to have Planned Talking

The project charter: "create a wiki page where people who want to talk can post their contact info. This will take 6 months."

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My department got signoff to recruit another 4 people, and myself and my colleagues went through hundreds of terrible, terrible resumes and whittled it down to around 8 people. This was three weeks ago and our HR department have gone completely silent (we aren't allowed to start interviews until HR sign off). Not a loving peep. This is in a really, really competitive market and the average person with a good resume and time to interview will have multiple offers within a week, so I guess we're never actually getting anyone new.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

cynic posted:

My department got signoff to recruit another 4 people, and myself and my colleagues went through hundreds of terrible, terrible resumes and whittled it down to around 8 people. This was three weeks ago and our HR department have gone completely silent (we aren't allowed to start interviews until HR sign off). Not a loving peep. This is in a really, really competitive market and the average person with a good resume and time to interview will have multiple offers within a week, so I guess we're never actually getting anyone new.

I was all set to take a job with IT for this lawfirm until they dicked me around for a week having me do perfunctory interviews with people and another recruiter crashed in with a 5k higher offer that I would have said no to otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

The project: the managers don't think anyone talks to each other when remote working so now we have to have Planned Talking

The project charter: "create a wiki page where people who want to talk can post their contact info. This will take 6 months."

Dont understand how building a non-functional blank webpage takes 6 months cause nobody is gonna use that

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

LionYeti posted:

I was all set to take a job with IT for this lawfirm until they dicked me around for a week having me do perfunctory interviews with people and another recruiter crashed in with a 5k higher offer that I would have said no to otherwise.

The company I work for are pretty great, but our HR department are borderline psychotic. Not even inept as such, as in they are capable of competence, but they just randomly ignore people for weeks on end, jump into interviews in a really aggressive manner, close all tickets assigned to them without doing anything. Face to face, training, or doing onboarding they are actually excellent from what I've seen.

I did ask if I could email the candidates myself as a holding measure so we don't look like we're dicking them about (which I've done in the past when we had people off on leave and couldn't interview straight away), but nope, apparently not. "New processes".

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Extra row of tits posted:

Go ahead, the threads all encompassing now

Noted.

I liked your security story above. Reminds me of some things around here, on a much less serious scale.

A few things happened today at work.

B., the person who threw away work, among many other transgressions, was no-call no-show for the second day running and the third time in a week. We'll see how that works out.

We came in at 0600, three hours before we open the store, to unload a semi-truck into our already overflowing back room. Extensive use of the hand-truck to run freight directly onto the floor was required. This makes life hard for the next few days.

What made it harder was a failed overnight update to our point-of-sale computers that left us scrambling to get in touch with the help-desk from thirty minutes until were supposed to open until thirty minutes after we should have opened. People were pounding on the big lexan windows at 0901, pointing at the store hours sign, as I pointed right next to it at our own little sign explaining that, unfortunately, we can not open yet.

Then, more computer problems cropped up! For whatever reason, I was the only one who could log into the cash register. I suspect it's because I was the last one to change my password.

Anyways, everyone was putting on multiple hats today and we couldn't always be up front to attend to customers. I put out my little bell and sign (ring bell for service), grabbed one of the cordless phones, and disappeared into the stockroom for a little while. Whereupon I immediately knocked over 200 piece case of these little fuckers:

Can't just leave 200 stout steel thumbtacks on the floor, so a-sweeping we did go. That took maybe five minutes. That's when I hear my little bell getting it's... bell rung furiously. As soon as I round the corner, there's yelling and a $3 box of cereal sails past me, to bounce off a shelving unit and onto the floor.

"GODDAMMIT! I am tired of having to wait around at this store! You are wasting people's time!"

Old dude was piiiissed! Yelling at my tiny little co-worker, who has this smile on her face that says, "One more word, motherfucker, and I jump over this counter to slap the poo poo out of you!" Scaring an old lady badly enough that she dropped her basket and hustled out the door. Amusing the man in line behind him enough for him to start openly laughing in old dude's face. Dude settled down some when he looked around and saw this was not going in his favor.

"I'm gonna call my buddy and we'll be right back here!"

"What?! Over a $3 box of cereal? You are disturbing our guests and our employees. You are being asked to leave. We are going to call the police. Leave now or it's trespass. Come back and it'll be criminal trespass. Leave now, please."

Boilerplate, exactly what it says in our employee manual.

But he weren't done yet. At that point my store manager gets back from the bank and he calls her a dumb fat-rear end in the parking lot before she can even get out of the car. 0930, in the middle of a sedate neighborhood, and all you can hear is the store manager laughing like a righteous crone.

The police were not nearly so amused.

"Did the cereal box hit anyone? That could be battery! Anyone? No? Alright, we'll go talk to him."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Killingyouguy! posted:

If your manager okayed this for you, they are a good one and I'm happy for you.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Volmarias posted:

If your manager okayed this for you, they are a good one and I'm happy for you.

No no the project charter is for the managers themselves to follow, they're implementing this

I don't get any sort of management from my managers 🥴

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have local admin on my laptop because otherwise I can't do my job. A while back a security manager got a bug up their butt and decided to revoke everyone's local admin and made you have to request it again. Everyone on my team, who also all need local admin, submitted tickets to get back. All of them were rejected. Our manager talked to that person's boss and we resubmitted and got it. I got a new laptop this week and to install literally anything I need, I need local admin put on it. Submit a ticket saying I already have been approved, ref old ticket, but new device, at the start of the week, get manager approval, and it sits in security's queue for the entire week. Then today just before EOD security rejects it and so my manager talked to their boss again and on Monday I'm supposed to submit another request that will get approved this time.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Barudak posted:

I worked in Singapore for 8 years and let me tell you - thank gently caress it was for an American company and I didn't have a local as my manager - the sheer disparity between required time in office was mad

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Extra row of tits posted:

Reminds me of when I was moved to a new hospital to run all the different facets of security to discover:

The had no operations manual
No idea what doors, cameras, and access points worked/were monitored/who had access to what
Had floor plans so out of date they were missing entire buildings
Didn’t have an accurate account of who had what keys to where
Didn’t have any form of standardised ID system to check who was coming or going
Weren’t even expecting me

I worked my little white rear end off to get that place up to spec and designed an operations manual from the ground up, including mapping out the campus, permanently securing unused access points and bringing 50 billion independent sections under one efficient umbrella.

Never even got a well done from my boss and when I resigned his GF got my job with a fancy title and pay rise.

The lesson here is: Never try.

People (your boss) can honestly be the most amoral motherfuckers when it comes to work :whitewater:

At least in interviews you can point to all the good things you did, and positive outcomes from that, even if that employer will never acknowledge it

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Dameius posted:

I have local admin on my laptop because otherwise I can't do my job. A while back a security manager got a bug up their butt and decided to revoke everyone's local admin and made you have to request it again. Everyone on my team, who also all need local admin, submitted tickets to get back. All of them were rejected. Our manager talked to that person's boss and we resubmitted and got it. I got a new laptop this week and to install literally anything I need, I need local admin put on it. Submit a ticket saying I already have been approved, ref old ticket, but new device, at the start of the week, get manager approval, and it sits in security's queue for the entire week. Then today just before EOD security rejects it and so my manager talked to their boss again and on Monday I'm supposed to submit another request that will get approved this time.

Our idiot area manager did the same, went through the staff lists and removed a bunch of access from people that he thought didn't need it. Dumbass, there was a reason the store manager gave our STOREMAN a stock password. Hard to be a storeman when you cant accept, transfer out, order, or put stock into the system so we could sell it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

People are obviously idiots when taking that too far but a bigger problem is often lax security and over-issuing of credentials. I just had to fix a giant cluster gently caress caused by someone not properly using user groups on share point for years and giving any one who needed basic access (e.g. read privileges) admin because it made their job easier.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Between stupid apple being apple and some questionable authentication / useage metrics methods used by our custom apps, our fleet of iPad based kiosks gets broken every few months because some new security person will say “iTunes? YouTube? Google play store? FACEBOOK?!” not on my network! Then I have to spend a week arguing why they need to unblock all that poo poo yet again.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

People are obviously idiots when taking that too far but a bigger problem is often lax security and over-issuing of credentials. I just had to fix a giant cluster gently caress caused by someone not properly using user groups on share point for years and giving any one who needed basic access (e.g. read privileges) admin because it made their job easier.

I would respect the security person if they had ever at any point in the time I've known them demonstrated even the slightest amount of knowledge or competence related to their job.

Part of my responsibilities is actually hardening and securing our environment, they run a scan tool without properly configuring it, while not understanding the output, and then report to our c-suite that we have major security issues because a racked server can be hacked via wifi since there is a CVE for a wifi exploit on the reported kernel version. Also it's already been back ported by the vendor but the scanning tool doesn't know how to read package change logs.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Is it normal for a couple of engineering geologists to be advisors in a printing company? :psyduck:

Because that is happening in my workplace.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Desperado Bones posted:

Is it normal for a couple of engineering geologists to be advisors in a printing company? :psyduck:

We have a veterinarian writing analysis code, so as long as they do a reasonable job, :shrug:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Someone can have multiple skills.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

(Alright this started off with like one thing but became a therapy session for myself)

My boss is like an over-the-top parody of boomers and prints everything. I mean everything. He prints out his own sent emails. If he gets an automated out of office message he prints it. Advertisements/spam? Print it. I have seen him: receive an email, immediately print it, then read it, print it again, respond, and goes to his sent folder to print out that as well. You know when someone sends out a invitation to a ton of people and a few accidentally reply all? Yeah, he prints those random responses. Do we know who the gently caress Carlos is? No. Do we need to print it? Absolutely, maybe even two copies. Where does that go? In one of the infinite piles of paper in his office.

He doesn't know how to save files. He prints things out and scans them back to himself. Because he learned how to do that about fifteen years ago and refuses to learn anything more. This has never ceased to stun me and it's hard to describe to people, but it is the only way he knows how to forward something.

He sends handwritten emails. What the gently caress is that? He prints out an email, writes a response on that printed copy, scans it back to himself, and right clicks the file and uses the email option. So every poor soul that emails him something will randomly get an email with a completely different subject line, and the following message:

quote:

Subject: email
hI, THANKS, [nAME] Your message is ready to be sent with 214981097563032.pdf

He cannot remember a password. I have walked him through resetting a password over one hundred times. Partially to my own detriment, because he then changes passwords, doesn't tell anyone he did so, and then forgets it himself. Also, his passwords are about as simple as you can imagine. Security be damned, I made a spreadsheet of all of our logins and passwords. When I showed him it he said "I'm not doing that copy and paste bullshit, it's too much work."

He refuses to use URLs. So to get to, the something awful forums for example, he does the following: types yahoo into the search bar, which automatically searches google. He then clicks on yahoo (geezers loving love yahoo), then searches something awful on yahoo, clicks on the link, and then yells to the office that he doesn't know the username or password.

One time he told me his computer was full. I knew the size of his hard-drive and how little was actually on there so I went to check. I checked the properties of the drive and it said there was plenty of space left. He refused to believe me, minimized all the windows, and showed me the desktop. "See? The computer is full." He had filled up his desktop with random poo poo and believed the computer was out of space.

He's scared to minimize windows. According to him "one time he minimized something and it disappeared forever." So if he is filling out an application or something he's constantly yelling "WHAT'S THEIR ADDRESS" "WHAT'S THEIR PHONE NUMBER" and when I get tired of it and tell him we have a database, with such sincerity he explains "yeah but I already have a window open so I can't right now."

He has five browsers on his computer and refers to them all as whatever website the homepage is. Chrome = Yahoo, etc. He will look at you blankly if you say Chrome. When he got a new computer, I told him to use just one browser. Like he was checkmating me he said "but what if I need to go to more than one website?"

I am partially numbed to all of this but every once in a while have an absolute meltdown.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Computer viking posted:

We have a veterinarian writing analysis code, so as long as they do a reasonable job, :shrug:

Yeah, I get that...I'm literally doing a bit of lovely interior design for stores at times. Which is not really my forte. :lol:

But that's the thing that has tickled a lot of people at the workplace...they only do some halfassed Google Form every blue moon and call it a day. Call themselves professional coders or something like that. The IT guy has been a bit grumpy about it.

Same goes with the guy in charge of social media. Got me and an unpaid intern to literally do all the job while he collects his check. Well, last Monday the intern left, because internship was over...so...he hasn't uploaded any of the graphics I made for Facebook/Instagram, there has been zero content for a week. :shrug:

But hey...at least I'm getting paid! Not like my last job. With the guy that went to Morocco while claiming his company wasn't earning enough money.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Orchestrated Mess posted:

(Alright this started off with like one thing but became a therapy session for myself)

My boss is like an over-the-top parody of boomers and prints everything. I mean everything. He prints out his own sent emails. If he gets an automated out of office message he prints it. Advertisements/spam? Print it. I have seen him: receive an email, immediately print it, then read it, print it again, respond, and goes to his sent folder to print out that as well. You know when someone sends out a invitation to a ton of people and a few accidentally reply all? Yeah, he prints those random responses. Do we know who the gently caress Carlos is? No. Do we need to print it? Absolutely, maybe even two copies. Where does that go? In one of the infinite piles of paper in his office.

He doesn't know how to save files. He prints things out and scans them back to himself. Because he learned how to do that about fifteen years ago and refuses to learn anything more. This has never ceased to stun me and it's hard to describe to people, but it is the only way he knows how to forward something.

He sends handwritten emails. What the gently caress is that? He prints out an email, writes a response on that printed copy, scans it back to himself, and right clicks the file and uses the email option. So every poor soul that emails him something will randomly get an email with a completely different subject line, and the following message:

He cannot remember a password. I have walked him through resetting a password over one hundred times. Partially to my own detriment, because he then changes passwords, doesn't tell anyone he did so, and then forgets it himself. Also, his passwords are about as simple as you can imagine. Security be damned, I made a spreadsheet of all of our logins and passwords. When I showed him it he said "I'm not doing that copy and paste bullshit, it's too much work."

He refuses to use URLs. So to get to, the something awful forums for example, he does the following: types yahoo into the search bar, which automatically searches google. He then clicks on yahoo (geezers loving love yahoo), then searches something awful on yahoo, clicks on the link, and then yells to the office that he doesn't know the username or password.

One time he told me his computer was full. I knew the size of his hard-drive and how little was actually on there so I went to check. I checked the properties of the drive and it said there was plenty of space left. He refused to believe me, minimized all the windows, and showed me the desktop. "See? The computer is full." He had filled up his desktop with random poo poo and believed the computer was out of space.

He's scared to minimize windows. According to him "one time he minimized something and it disappeared forever." So if he is filling out an application or something he's constantly yelling "WHAT'S THEIR ADDRESS" "WHAT'S THEIR PHONE NUMBER" and when I get tired of it and tell him we have a database, with such sincerity he explains "yeah but I already have a window open so I can't right now."

He has five browsers on his computer and refers to them all as whatever website the homepage is. Chrome = Yahoo, etc. He will look at you blankly if you say Chrome. When he got a new computer, I told him to use just one browser. Like he was checkmating me he said "but what if I need to go to more than one website?"

I am partially numbed to all of this but every once in a while have an absolute meltdown.

:stare:

I bet he makes a lot of money, as your boss

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

How does this person even manage to put pants on in the morning?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Just the :stare: would do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm sure it's fine? It's not rocket science

:dadjoke:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Adding :catstare: to the boomer pile. What the gently caress how do they remember where they live?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I gotta complain about RFID antennas.

A couple months before I joined, my work put up a comprehensive web of RFID antennas in the cleanroom, with the notion that they would monitor everything (the machines, the employees through their ID tags, test equipment everything) Managers can access this monitoring to see who and what is where at any time. Tampering with an antenna is grounds for summary termination, no appeals, you are GONE.

There are several problems here. First, no RFID tag could survive in a process chamber, so the test equipment just has loose RFID tags that are supposed to be linked to a given piece. Of course these tags are lost, damaged, separated from their equipment, whatever.

Second and most important, these antennas interfere with many bits of delicate monitoring equipment. The biggest example of this is capacitance manometers, being exposed to an antenna causes lots of exciting problems, it can more than double the variance on a reading, so a .05 mTorr reading can shoot to .15, which is a problem, but it can go the other way causing a .05 reading to read as -.05mTorr. There is no such thing as negative Torr. I cannot emphasize this enough, Torr is like Kelvin, a reading below zero is outside the laws of physics as we know it. A negative Torr reading causes a cascading failure as every single part of the machine goes into a failsafe, as if that reading is wrong, what else is wrong?

I bring this up because there was a turnover in management, and a new manager saw me putting a RFID shield on the antenna. Normally the shields are an exception to the "no tampering" rule, with express permission to use them to prevent the negative Torr problem. The problem is this permission only existed between techs and engineering, I guess nobody told management. So I had to explain and demonstrate the interference problem, and show that the shields were not just a thing I had, but were an existing approves solution in the cleanroom.

The new manager decided that I was the go between he was going to use, and I had to demonstrate the interference problem to engineering and get their approval to use the shields (the RFID antennas were installed by engineering, and the shields were made by engineering) Fully 3 hours of my life was me playing a game of telephone between engineering and management to get engineering to understand the problem they understood, and to approve the solution they manufactured. This was all on pain of immediate termination if I was found to be doing unauthorized tampering with the antennas. :suicide:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I bet you wished you had a printed out email approving the use of those shields, huh?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

NFX posted:

I bet you wished you had a printed out email approving the use of those shields, huh?

I took up a senior engineers entire shift digging for the documentation. It wasn't just me suffering, this guy had to pore through over a years correspondence to see if there was ever an actual approval from management, and what engineering saved in writing vs just doing on an ad hoc basis. It ended up being punted over to dayshift, I still don't know whats going on, but at least I am not being fired over it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Orchestrated Mess posted:

:words:

My dad used to work in a local government office, and the manager was this sweet octogenarian who swerve! was excellent at computing and virtually never had to ask for help at anything. Completely self-taught from as soon as the office had switched over from paper to electronic.

People like the ultraboomer you described simply stop learning anything at some point -- probably the day they left high school -- and become utterly perplexed as the world moves on without them. In a different era they would've been hornswoggled by telephones and horseless carriages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TaurusTorus posted:

So I gotta complain about RFID antennas.

A couple months before I joined, my work put up a comprehensive web of RFID antennas in the cleanroom, with the notion that they would monitor everything (the machines, the employees through their ID tags, test equipment everything) Managers can access this monitoring to see who and what is where at any time. Tampering with an antenna is grounds for summary termination, no appeals, you are GONE.

There are several problems here. First, no RFID tag could survive in a process chamber, so the test equipment just has loose RFID tags that are supposed to be linked to a given piece. Of course these tags are lost, damaged, separated from their equipment, whatever.

Second and most important, these antennas interfere with many bits of delicate monitoring equipment. The biggest example of this is capacitance manometers, being exposed to an antenna causes lots of exciting problems, it can more than double the variance on a reading, so a .05 mTorr reading can shoot to .15, which is a problem, but it can go the other way causing a .05 reading to read as -.05mTorr. There is no such thing as negative Torr. I cannot emphasize this enough, Torr is like Kelvin, a reading below zero is outside the laws of physics as we know it. A negative Torr reading causes a cascading failure as every single part of the machine goes into a failsafe, as if that reading is wrong, what else is wrong?

I bring this up because there was a turnover in management, and a new manager saw me putting a RFID shield on the antenna. Normally the shields are an exception to the "no tampering" rule, with express permission to use them to prevent the negative Torr problem. The problem is this permission only existed between techs and engineering, I guess nobody told management. So I had to explain and demonstrate the interference problem, and show that the shields were not just a thing I had, but were an existing approves solution in the cleanroom.

The new manager decided that I was the go between he was going to use, and I had to demonstrate the interference problem to engineering and get their approval to use the shields (the RFID antennas were installed by engineering, and the shields were made by engineering) Fully 3 hours of my life was me playing a game of telephone between engineering and management to get engineering to understand the problem they understood, and to approve the solution they manufactured. This was all on pain of immediate termination if I was found to be doing unauthorized tampering with the antennas. :suicide:

Should have let it all go down in flames imho.