Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
It's stupid because watching what is functionally just a Kickstarter potentially getting dropped for the millionth time is literally the least interesting thing about the game. Put a warning label on the OP and move on with your life, good loving christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
Dark and Darker: There's a warning in the OP, move on with your life.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

explosivo posted:

I mean, is it really? Nothing about this release tells me with 100% certainty that their legal battle is over and they're fully cleared to release this game without the threat of it being yanked and shut down out of nowhere. Maybe I'm an idiot but hearing the company that got their game taken down from steam for potentially stealing assets from another game has stolen the legal text preceding their game from another game is just another reason for me to be wary of buying this.

yes lol that's stupid and insane unless you have literally any evidence whatsoever of anything like this

also the supposed eula plagiarism that got people speculating wildly is from chaf games not dark and darker, so at least get the facts of this stupid speculation right. calling it speculation is being charitable tbh

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
**Early Access Hotfix #2**
@everyone, 
We will be doing the hotfix #2 update starting around 30 min from now at <t:1691768700>. 
When the patch starts, you will not be able to login to the game and players in-game will not be able to enter the matchmaking pool during this time. Players in a match or in-game will have 30 minutes to complete the match and exit safely. 
The servers will return to full service 2 hours after the start of the patch. 

Patch Notes:
- Improved the anti-hack system for a cleaner environment. 
- Increased the drop rate of Uncommon items from all chests.
- Added a small chance of Epic grade items to drop from all chests.
- Increased the drop rate of Epic grade items from Ornate, Lions Head, and Golden chests.
- Increased the amount of items sold by the Goblin Merchant. 
- Blocked some cheese tactics for the Cave Troll.
- Fixed the bug where the Cave Troll sometimes respawned after death. 
- Removed the hoard in the Cave Troll treasure room and simply populated it with items. 
- Fixed locations where you could accidentally go outside the map.
- Fixed locations where multiple doors would spawn in the same spot.
- Added protection against characters being pushed by opening doors and chests into locations where they become stuck.

Weekend Event
High Roller Ante will temporarily be discounted from 100g to 50g for the next couple days!

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Falchion+crystal ball warlock is :chefkiss: especially if you take the "magic damage and -70% healing" skill instead of the noclip skill. Looking forward to seeing them flesh out the class more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sushibandit posted:

Falchion+crystal ball warlock is :chefkiss: especially if you take the "magic damage and -70% healing" skill instead of the noclip skill. Looking forward to seeing them flesh out the class more.

Yeah Blow of Corruption seems super strong and they've done a good job with the Warlock - I assumed it'd just be a different flavor of Wizard but it's its own thing. Makes me excited for what they'd do with paladin because it seems unlikely it'll just be fighter + cleric.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 11, 2023

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

can't believe someone would just copy paste literal boilerplate that no one ever reads

this is the stupidest speculation seriously

lol the worst poster

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

Still just watching streams, but rushing troll boss in goblin caves seems pretty busted. Sequisha was pulling back to back 900+ gold solo runs on a rogue

I have no idea how people get away with this poo poo, whenever I see someone on troll boss I just go kill them, or if they are winning, prepare to kill them after they have been fighting it for a while.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Weekend Event
High Roller Ante will temporarily be discounted from 100g to 50g for the next couple days!

I like that they are already doing weekend events. I hope they continue to do poo poo like that. Also, Tarkov just wiped, so it's a good way to get some players to stick around, but I still expect the DaD numbers to take a slight hit. There is a lot of crossover.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

- Added a small chance of Epic grade items to drop from all chests.
- Increased the drop rate of Epic grade items from Ornate, Lions Head, and Golden chests.

Those right there are reason enough to bring some lockpicks into the ruins now.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I'm gonna do some runs now, and if anyone wants to see how the game plays (and how bad I am) I'm happy to stream them in the discord. Running Cleric. Just drop by or whatever.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I caved and bought it. I suppose it should be mentioned that the sales platform is Xsolla, which despite what I originally thought is not some Russian company, it's based on California. The founder is probably Russian though, so Russian adjacent. You can't pay with Paypal, but you can use Amazon Pay or Google Pay which might give you some chance of recourse if something goes wrong.

That said, I killed a bard with his own drum. So that was fun.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I'm tempted to check this out but it feels like a scam and wth is that store front...

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
It’s definitely not a scam imo and it’s prob one of the greatest games ever made

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

I like that they are already doing weekend events. I hope they continue to do poo poo like that. Also, Tarkov just wiped, so it's a good way to get some players to stick around, but I still expect the DaD numbers to take a slight hit. There is a lot of crossover.

why do you think the tarkov wipe happened early? nikita saw the darkov twitch numbers and was prolly livid, so they just pushed it out asap. even though it's not the same, having more competition in the hardcore pvpve genre is good for us all and i hope it results in better games / improvements across the board for everyone.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Outside of the specifics of the gunplay mechanics, which I think everyone agrees is Tarkov's main secret sauce, Dark and Darker has all the best parts of the Tarkov experience (risk and reward, thrills, near misses, standing dead still sweatily listings for footsteps, just the overall 'feel') minus all the worst parts (taking fifteen minutes to rebuild a kit after every death, ten minute plus queues, having to find a roll of toilet paper and a nuclear launch briefcase in order to unlock the ability to buy gear that isn't dogshit, Nikkita going insane and making it so you have to throw infinite towels into a gaping hole in the wall because he's a sick gently caress, etc)

I am sure Tarkov will always have it's fans, but for casual players of both, I think most people will favour Dark and Darker in the long run, especially with how fast DnD is adding content vs Tarkov clearly stagnating for a while now.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yes lol that's stupid and insane unless you have literally any evidence whatsoever of anything like this

also the supposed eula plagiarism that got people speculating wildly is from chaf games not dark and darker, so at least get the facts of this stupid speculation right. calling it speculation is being charitable tbh

Yes, we were talking about Chaf Games being sketchy, not Ironmace or Dark and Darker, like one person got it wrong by mistake. I'm curious because it just doesn't really make any sense for Chaf Games to be involved. Dark and Darker/Ironmace? Whatever, I haven't seen any issues with their launcher, so use it. But the sketchy-rear end place deserves scrutiny.

Franks Happy Place posted:

Outside of the specifics of the gunplay mechanics, which I think everyone agrees is Tarkov's main secret sauce, Dark and Darker has all the best parts of the Tarkov experience (risk and reward, thrills, near misses, standing dead still sweatily listings for footsteps, just the overall 'feel') minus all the worst parts (taking fifteen minutes to rebuild a kit after every death, ten minute plus queues, having to find a roll of toilet paper and a nuclear launch briefcase in order to unlock the ability to buy gear that isn't dogshit, Nikkita going insane and making it so you have to throw infinite towels into a gaping hole in the wall because he's a sick gently caress, etc)

I am sure Tarkov will always have it's fans, but for casual players of both, I think most people will favour Dark and Darker in the long run, especially with how fast DnD is adding content vs Tarkov clearly stagnating for a while now.

Look, sometimes you REALLY need to dry off.

Anyways, it remains to be seen how the popularity will fall with regards to Tarkov and Dark and Darker. For a lot of people, the gunplay is part of the draw, and Tarkov has some level of polish above Dark and Darker (because DaD is still in development), and at the same time, also has more content. DaD is adding more, but that's largely because it didn't start with much at all, due to being in development. It's a lot easier to add fast when you're currently developing a game than keeping content going long after release.

The final ingredient in the 'secret sauce' is marketing, which... DaD is currently not doing super well in.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

It’s definitely not a scam imo and it’s prob one of the greatest games ever made

This. Also, think of how much money anyone personally wastes a day or week. I buy weed and smoke it all and it's gone. I'm also going to just die one day. Buy a game and play it and have fun and don't regret. It's 35 loving dollars.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
bard is both a). funny and b). at least fairly good

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Does this game still have movement and combat that feels like you are underwater?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Kwolok posted:

Does this game still have movement and combat that feels like you are underwater?

probably not, since multiple people on this page have said its the greatest game ever made

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The game has 0 issues. It's the perfect game. gently caress Nexon, Hail Graysun.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the game is slow-paced and methodical which i think is a big selling point

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Had a fun time getting a ranger to 7 last night in a 3-man, cleric to 7 solo in goblin caves. Micah Vista killshots never get old.

Hot tip: if it's late at night and you keep getting dumpstered by fighter, fighter, * comps, switch servers to someplace earlier or later in the day. The sweatlords are out in full force in the wee hours.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Look, a cleric!

some guy in the official running a cleric build irl... wtf is this community lol

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

comedyblissoption posted:

the game is slow-paced and methodical which i think is a big selling point

It really is

The slower combat is a good idea as you have more time to see your death coming

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kwolok posted:

Yes.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

FWIW it took me maybe 10-15 Goblin Cave solo runs to make it out my first time. Now, having leveled a Cleric to 20, I'm probably making it out 50% of the time, maybe more. I wouldn't even say I'm great, but with a game like this there's a fair bit to be said for muscle memory and learning your chosen class.

Also Cleric is fun and tanky. I can go toe-to-toe with any other class, especially if they let me buff up first. I hate Rangers and anyone else with fast moving projectiles that can kite me though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Become the drunken cleric, never cast a spell

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

How the hell is this game so drat good? I had a ton of fun doing runs with some folks on the Discord, lots of wins, lots of deaths, lots and lots of purposeful... and some accidental collateral murder. I'm sorry.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It kinda reminds me of Ultima Online in a way where gear is important but so easy to get and lose that pvp can be exiting without a huge negative to losing.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
try to sell a green spellbook with +1 healing on it for 50g, no bites
just put in "wts", someone immediately offers trade for 300g

incomprehensible

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Just gotta find the right buyer at the right time. Apparently some sweat lords are already sitting on tens of thousands barely a week into the game. Which is fine, if you love a game and wanna grind it, go for it. But, like every extraction looter ever, the more money you have, the better gear you have and then you have an advantage in combat. It's the whole point of these games. Then you can just make more gold and get better gear. It kind of cascades into more and more power. So investing a little early on is probably worth it, because then you can make more.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Just gotta find the right buyer at the right time. Apparently some sweat lords are already sitting on tens of thousands barely a week into the game. Which is fine, if you love a game and wanna grind it, go for it. But, like every extraction looter ever, the more money you have, the better gear you have and then you have an advantage in combat. It's the whole point of these games. Then you can just make more gold and get better gear. It kind of cascades into more and more power. So investing a little early on is probably worth it, because then you can make more.

hopefully they don't go too heavy handed with the nerfs... one of the best things about (old) tarkov before the streamers killed it was taking in a mosin and just absolutely bodying some sweat lord who brought in 1mm+ roubles worth of gear and then just leaving with a full kit. they did the same with the ks23, star rounds, etc.

just gotta keep up the lethality and not let people be walking tanks stomping around impervious to everything.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, and i'm fine with that kind of stuff personally, because it takes some level of skill for it to work. Like with the Mosin, you gotta hit, and if you don't, you are likely dead. A similar example would be something like the slowest weapon in the hands of a barbarian. If you miss, hit a wall, etc, that other player is probably gonna gently caress you up. But if you land a headshot, you probably send them flying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Seems like I never get to loot a team after winning a great fight. We just dueled another two man of seemingly kitted fighters and we won where me as barb had like 5 hp at the end but another team was coming into the room and we had to fall back to portal out. Even just getting to take their meds and getting out would've felt good.

Seems horseman's axe is still the way to go kind of annoying being at the whim of the weaponsmith's inventory if I get a few bad runs.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 13, 2023

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Holy gently caress... high roller Goblin Caves is CRAZY. There are so many nasty traps everywhere, many activating from pressure plates directly in front of chests or randomly placed on the ground. The two worst that I've seen are one that made a skele champ appear a few feet away from me and the other dropped a ton of spiders onto my head. The giant spider enemies are big jerks too, their ranged web attack prevents you from attacking for a few seconds.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
the main appeal of Dark and Darker to me and my friend group is that we were able to play it and have fun right out the gate despite having zero experience with it, while when we decided to try out Tarkov after the Dark and Darker demo ended it was several frustrating hours of our entire group dying instantly over and over to people we never even saw, including one round where it happened less than two minutes after spawn in a game where the normal wait between matches is 15-20 minutes.

the game in theory has good gunplay but I honestly could not tell you much about it, because in the 20 or so hours of it I attempted to play during my first attempt, the only time I ever got a human player in my sights he instantly rotated 180 degrees to laser-snap onto me and drill me perfectly in the head with a single shot

The closer quarters definitely play a major part in that, because we are not going to get sniped by some guy shooting from the absolute edge of the game's draw distance. Part of it is also readability, with the simpler graphics and less realistic environments making it a whole hell of a lot easier to see people. Even taking that into account, though, the game seems a lot less gear-dependent than Tarkov does so far - good gear makes it a lot easier, but I have killed kitted players using my basic starting equipment several times already, and even pulled off multiple extracts in a row with starting gear.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BaconCopter posted:

Holy gently caress... high roller Goblin Caves is CRAZY. There are so many nasty traps everywhere, many activating from pressure plates directly in front of chests or randomly placed on the ground. The two worst that I've seen are one that made a skele champ appear a few feet away from me and the other dropped a ton of spiders onto my head. The giant spider enemies are big jerks too, their ranged web attack prevents you from attacking for a few seconds.

Yeah. I tried running Goblin Caves HR last night and it was a rough experience. The mobs are super juiced and the circle closes quickly, so there's very little time to do anything other than blitz towards the middle.

ShowTime posted:

Also this - as long as the gear advantage isn't too large. I do wonder if it would be better if junk versions of all types were always purchasable, so that you can at least pick your wep of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Oh my god I am bad at this game

At least the learning curve of 'go in, experiment myself to death' is effectively zero stakes. I do not plan to escape, but I will learn how to poke people in the head.