Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

lost highway and blue velvet have good sex scenes. not sexy in any way, but very good scenes that the story hinges on rife with tension and are about people loving

when the story requires understanding something that happens during the sex act it usually works to portray it. but i guess that's not gratuitous then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

a lot of sex scenes also happen when the tension breaks rather than being an escalation of tension, a rising tension which is way sexier and dramatic instead of time wasting. first kiss scenes usually get this right. like "are we gunna kiss... he's leaning in does he wanna kiss me? ok we're kissing is that ok? is it bad is it going to gently caress up my objective to steal his family's fortune?" or whatever it is a development in the story

but a lot of sex is "ok we will have sex now" and the sex looks very practical and boring and everyone gets what they want

sex should present a dilemma at least, a choice between two bad outcomes, but one character can't resist the other and so goes through with it

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 20:07 on Aug 12, 2023

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Antonymous posted:

lost highway and blue velvet have good sex scenes. not sexy in any way, but very good scenes that the story hinges on rife with tension and are about people loving

when the story requires understanding something that happens during the sex act it usually works to portray it. but i guess that's not gratuitous then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjdzBRXDk0s

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

boo this tweeter

the quality of the food scenes show how much the artists like working on a show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_YJde1yps

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Oglethorpe posted:

boo this tweeter

the quality of the food scenes show how much the artists like working on a show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH_YJde1yps

They are making a joke

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

they should bring back dorohedoro though

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

josh04 posted:

they should bring back dorohedoro though

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

what about dorohomo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why are all the 'tasteful' sex scenes the ones where the people having sex is a bad thing

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i am finally at the season of the xfiles where they replace mulder with doggett and the vibes are so weird.

when I revisited the show recently I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked him, especially how he wasn't always completely on board with Scully but was willing to hear her out and give her the benefit of the doubt

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/largemotorcycle/status/1690388110310309888?t=cv5hyzDu7cDMtFpzKhVtuw&s=19

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

1glitch0 posted:

He makes a compelling argument!
i thought he had died already but yea true, it actually is. rip. if it wasnt in fuckin' texas I'd consider it

ngl its kinda amazing that william shatner is somehow still alive. he's old as hell and has been in very bad shape for like 30 years.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's The Lady Or The Tiger, which is quite a classic bit. Though that kind of ambiguity is definitely also valid, it's different from how the original story goes- the king is fond of playing his game show (complete with live audience) where a condemned captive is offered two doors to open- behind one is the man-eating tiger, behind the other is a beautiful woman who will immediately become his wife. The drama there is the princess is watching and knows that either way, he'll be lost to her forever, and wondering if she'd rather see him live on without her, or die.

I’d just befriend the tiger.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’d just befriend the tiger.
Befriend the tiger, have him eat the king, marry the princess.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Whoolighams posted:

when I revisited the show recently I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked him, especially how he wasn't always completely on board with Scully but was willing to hear her out and give her the benefit of the doubt

hes a great character

his interactions iwth skinner and skully are so weird. i can understand the mistrust and dislike since hes looking into mulder but they go out of their way to berate him during investigations

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i am finally at the season of the xfiles where they replace mulder with doggett and the vibes are so weird.

i stopped watching around then. it was very bad

have no desire to (re)watch that season(s)

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

grats for somehow surviving most of the Babylon 5 cast!!! we just finished our B5 watch and he was incredible as Bester. such a bastard.

like most other the other storylines they left his characters conclusion way open tho. I assume there's a billion books that explain what happened to him and Garibaldi, G'Kar and Lita, etc.

I suppose JMS wanted to tempt fate with more series despite all B5's problems and leave his options open.

Whoolighams posted:

Yes Doggett rules. Mulder was becoming incredibly emo and annoying by then (worsened with the background knowledge that Duchovny basically forced the production to LA), and flipping the script with someone more hands-on and skeptical then Scully was fun. Any moment where he immediately recognizes the problem and blasts it with his gun was awesome.

I fell off when they abandoned monster of the week for the main arch. That stuff reached its peak with Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man. By the time metal alien men were flying into mountains or whatever it was ridiculous.

Durf has issued a correction as of 23:09 on Aug 12, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Watched the super Mario Brothers movie. It was fun and good, but not good.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mr Hootington posted:

yup

it was fine, better than expected honestly but just fine. basically the penultimate digital entertainment equivalent of soylent

and that's perfectly a-ok. sometimes you just need a couple hours of fine slop

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah basically. It was a kids movie v:geno:v

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
it's right next to and identical to the Emily Blunt/The Rock Jungle Cruise movie. perfectly fine and inoffensive in every way

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Antonymous posted:

a lot of sex scenes also happen when the tension breaks rather than being an escalation of tension, a rising tension which is way sexier and dramatic instead of time wasting. first kiss scenes usually get this right. like "are we gunna kiss... he's leaning in does he wanna kiss me? ok we're kissing is that ok? is it bad is it going to gently caress up my objective to steal his family's fortune?" or whatever it is a development in the story

probably the reason I still think Lost in Translation's 'sex' scene still stands out to me. just capturing that moment where it could go further but probably shouldn't, yet still acknowledging the situation with the smallest physical gesture

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Augus posted:

why are all the 'tasteful' sex scenes the ones where the people having sex is a bad thing

This is where I am with it, I think this kind of attitude is weirder than anything a "horny dude director" might do even if it's like Tarantino doing foot stuff

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Augus posted:

Because the gun is good and the penis is evil

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Mr Hootington posted:

The old one or the new one?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Durf posted:

Yes Doggett rules. Mulder was becoming incredibly emo and annoying by then (worsened with the background knowledge that Duchovny basically forced the production to LA), and flipping the script with someone more hands-on and skeptical then Scully was fun. Any moment where he immediately recognizes the problem and blasts it with his gun was awesome.

I fell off when they abandoned monster of the week for the main arch. That stuff reached its peak with Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man. By the time metal alien men were flying into mountains or whatever it was ridiculous.

i was curious why he left, and looked it up. he wanted to be a "real actor" and it ocmpletely backfired on him

the overarching story should have ended with the syndicate dying maybe with a followup episode on mulder and scully going after krycek. the overarching plot is so convoluted

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

gently caress krycek lil worm

still one of my fav tv characters tho love to hate

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

can't wait for the trupm version of ridley scott's napoleon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i was curious why he left, and looked it up. he wanted to be a "real actor" and it ocmpletely backfired on him

the overarching story should have ended with the syndicate dying maybe with a followup episode on mulder and scully going after krycek. the overarching plot is so convoluted
californication was pretty good (early seasons) but lol yeah his career was DOA without x-files

i also kinda like Aquarius but never finished it for some reason

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is laid up on the couch sick watching Velma, I forgot how bad this show was. Aren't you suffering enough honey?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

welcome to the wide world of european cinema

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

there is no such thing as tasteful sex

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

yeah there is :a2m:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antonymous posted:

Ben?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what are the best instagram comics i should remind you that my gimmick is that half of my posts actually mean the opposite of what they sound like they mean so my actual question might be what are the worst instagram comics

to understand my posts you must either develop your reading comprehension skills enough to discern context or respond to my riddle in the form of a question where i am forced to give the same answer regardless of which half of the gimmick i happen to be using at that particular moment

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Augus posted:

America rocks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

what are the best instagram comics i should remind you that my gimmick is that half of my posts actually mean the opposite of what they sound like they mean so my actual question might be what are the worst instagram comics

to understand my posts you must either develop your reading comprehension skills enough to discern context or respond to my riddle in the form of a question where i am forced to give the same answer regardless of which half of the gimmick i happen to be using at that particular moment

some guy tt, my dude, methinks it may be time to hang up the gimmick hat and enjoy a nice retirement as a Normal poster

or go back to college to change posting careers with a major in a new gimmick. we havent got a good spiritual successor to triangular toberlone

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

in less cryptic posting ive been watching peaky blinders and cant get a good handle on this shows politics like commies gay losers gangsters cool chads that part i get but that parts so contemporary it kind of threw me for a loop when everyone starts sniggering at the one guy who wants to marry a lazy whore it not being completely clear whether this word is being used literally or figuratively what a difference ten years makes huh

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Xaris posted:

some guy tt, my dude, methinks it may be time to hang up the gimmick hat and enjoy a nice retirement as a Normal poster

this is what i do in other subforums and its pretty boring tbh i think my sarcasm just comes off as kindof condescending if its not buried behind three layers of incomprehensible irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

in less cryptic posting ive been watching peaky blinders and cant get a good handle on this shows politics like commies gay losers gangsters cool chads that part i get but that parts so contemporary it kind of threw me for a loop when everyone starts sniggering at the one guy who wants to marry a lazy whore it not being completely clear whether this word is being used literally or figuratively what a difference ten years makes huh

peaky blinders, boardwalk empire a fun time period for gangster stories on both sides of the Atlantic

helps every dude is dressed swag as gently caress.