Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah, you'd think any decent manager's thought process would be more like "Hmm, a highly-accomplished go-getter... and he isn't going to be gunning for MY job the whole time he's working here? Hired!"

"But what if his other job falls through!"
"denied"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

[

The Phantom

This would've been tense if we hadn't known from the sunday strip that he survives.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

This would've been tense if we hadn't known from the sunday strip that he survives.

The Sunday and weekday strips have always been separate storylines (though regardless I still doubt they're actually going to kill the current Phantom off, this isn't the first time they've faked us out after all)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Am I stupid for not understanding that Hagar? I understood Cow Tools as a kid.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I AM GRANDO posted:

Nah, took me a moment too. I think Helga can't get past reading 'Chapter One' because of all the hunks on the beach she's ogling.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

Helga burns with insatiable lust

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Larryb posted:

The Sunday and weekday strips have always been separate storylines (though regardless I still doubt they're actually going to kill the current Phantom off, this isn't the first time they've faked us out after all)

The characters in the Sunday strip mentioned the breakout from the prison because they believe that "John X" is the one who led it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/25/51

Archie 11/23/47

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

I AM GRANDO posted:

Their companions in the distant longboat helpless to save them, Hägar and Helga have become unknowing prisoners of Incoherent Time gently caress Island. Helga is trapped in a three-second loop while Hägar sleeps eternally, a jumble of anachronistic hunks wandering in aimlessly around them. The camera zooms out to slowly reveal the sandy island is surrounded by a forcefield, like a dome of glass...

No, not a dome. We zoom out further. Impossibly large carved wooden pillars appear, surrounding the... the sphere? The sand beneath them goes down forever, the glass becomes a funnel. No, it's curving outwards again. Zooming out, zooming out...

It's an hourglass.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Helga fucks.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Is it possible to be buried alive??? Get a shovel!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Of course there's mpreg in these loving things.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
[quote="Julet Esqu" post=""533850222"]

Gil Thorp

[/quote]

BSS: Bisexual Super Spouse - The original Gil Thorpe containment zone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Green Intern posted:

Val, you just killed retreating enemies in a blind rage like a week ago.

Yeah and now that he's had his fun the rest of the killing is just busywork.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Since some folks seemed interested and nobody told me it sucks, say hello to John Allison's second comic set in weird and wonderful Tackleford, Scary Go Round! Set between the original Bobbins run and Bad Machinery (with a bit of overlap in characters, as we'll eventually see), SGR has shorter arcs than Bad Machinery, a wider cast of characters, and an art style that changes dramatically several times over its run. I'm going to be posting multiple pages at a time because we have seven years' worth to get through, and fter the first arc, Allison pretty much locks into a steady schedule of four days a week, so it'll take us a while to go through the whole story. I'll slow down the number of pages per post after the first arc or two probably, since the pacing improves at that point. First appearances of important characters will be noted for those following along for the first time.

Scary Go Round (June 4-13, 2002)

First appearances: Rachel Dukakis-Monteforte and Len Pickering. Rachel is one of the early protagonists of SGR, and Len was originally introduced in Bobbins as the editor of a local magazine (now a university professor) and father of Amy Chilton.

First appearance: Tessa Davies, another early protagonist of SGR and Rachel's best friend.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "196 - Jucika's Discreet Phone"

"197 - Jucika Is Friend Of The Animals"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Weembles posted:

The characters in the Sunday strip mentioned the breakout from the prison because they believe that "John X" is the one who led it.

Oh yeah, forgot about that

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Doomykins posted:

owned

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You and your family shall starve, huntsman. Thus decrees Jucika.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Wonder Why They've Never Really Addressed Rudy's Learning Disabilities As A Family And Just Continue To Let It Rock If It Even Affects Written Material.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Larryb posted:

If they're going to kill The Phantom, I think it will be a bigger story than this, and get a bunch of promotion. But part of me wants them to do it. Just sneak in the death of the Phantom and put one of his kids in there (or both).

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You and your family shall starve, huntsman. Thus decrees Jucika.

He looks more like the "hunts for sport" type, his target was bound for the hunter's mantle, not the dinner table.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Dec 11-14, 1963)

...fear of that insane girl in class who randomly assaults you.

I think I missed a couple a few days ago so have a couple extra.

Big Nate

Do you ever get the feeling that Nate's friends secretly hate him?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

readingatwork posted:

Do you ever get the feeling that Nate's friends secretly hate him?

Secretly?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not gonna lie: I did a double-take at the Scary Go Round art because it looked a lot like Day By Day for a second, and I couldn't imagine what precipitated DBD being allowed in here. No knock on Allison; that art style just reminds me of "Roosevelts".

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Doomykins posted:

Ahem.

Jucika Hunting Prey

Also Re: Scary-Go-Round, here's the introduction Allison wrote for the third edition of the ebook that collects this story.

quote:

I usually start the introduction for a reprint by saying how weird the pages look to me and how strange they are to read again. Well, I've said it now and I'm never going to say it again.

These comics were made when I still had a day job, I would bash them out over the weekend, and in the evenings if I could. That's why they're drawn in a rather stiff, computerised style. It was the fastest way that I could work at the time, withe the limited artistic skills that I had to draw upon. They plainly did a job, as the second of the stories in this book remains one of my most popular.

As I said in the second edition, when I read the Looks, Brains & Everything storyline, I just want to write and draw it all over again. They were exciting times in my life. Rough and ready it may be, but is was good enough that I didn't have to work in an office any more. And thank goodness for that.

John Allison, Manchester UK, March 2011

And the introduction for this story, Gas.

quote:

Reviews of Scary Go Round would often remark that the comic started as the adventures of Tessa and Rachel, before many of the characters from my previous comic, "Bobbins" were introduced. But there was a good reason for this.

This first story, which follows, was designed as a spin off of Bobbins to run a pay-site called Modern Tales. It was to run twice a week, while Bobbins continued. It was originally intended to be a collaboration between myself and a friend, a gifted artist with a great talent for background. I would write and do the characters.

Unfortunately, my friend dropped out shortly before I started work on Scary Go Round, and after a month of Modern Tales, it was pretty evident that only about a tenth of the readership of Bobbins were going to pay for the pleasure of more of my work. I was one of several established webcomic artist who found the going very sluggish in the promised "brave new world".

But having developed my art and writing styles further for Scary Go Round, I decided to make a fresh start for the characters from Bobbins (which comprised three and a half years of experiments, all of which under severe time - and talent - constraints in order to produce five comics a week).

So when this first story, "Gas", was over, I opened up the community of Tackleford, and have kept adding to it ever since.

I've always felt a little bit guilt about the way Scary Go Round was designed, because it set a bad example and was quite influential - there are still a few very popular internet comics that use its stiff staging style - a convenient one because it requires almost no composition skills at all! I had turnarounds of the characters drawn in Adobe Illustrator and would adjust eyes, arms, hand and mouths, and if I was feeling really racy, a leg or two.

Done properly, art done in Illustrator looks flashy and stylish, but it takes real care and craft. In the past, I had taken absolutely no care, but with this story, I took... some care. by the time (some years later) that I had begun to apply an appropriate level of care to art of this kind, I started to think that it would be a lot easier to just draw it with a pencil instead of poking and prodding lines around. At that point I found out just how rusty my drawing skill were, but it was the start of a whole new adventure.

So That's how Scary Go Round began, and why, for a month or two, it seemed to be a comic about two teen sleuths. After this, it became something else altogether. I regret nothing!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

1998 Mary Worth

No, Mary! Never give the cops anything!

He needs a bigger 'fix' to get his 'kicks,' as the kids say.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Since it's painfully obvious I'm not going to make my regular night-time deposit, here's one of those gorgeous Frank King Gasoline Alley Sunday pages that turned 100 years old today (August 12, 1923, via Comics in The Golden Age, an X-Twitter refugee who is currently doing things you'd probably love on Bluesky)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

1998 Mary Worth

No, Mary! Never give the cops anything!

He needs a bigger 'fix' to get his 'kicks,' as the kids say.

Jesus, Mary, here, I'll try. THEY THINK DUDLEY FORD IS A COMPUTER CRIMINAL WHO DOES COMPUTER CRIMES. THEY WANT TO CHECK THE COMPUTER HE GAVE YOU IN CASE HE LEFT ANY CRIMES ON IT.

Look at this smoothie. Love him.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
There should be a serious dramatic soap opera styled exactly like the visuals in classic Mary Worth, because it's hilarious.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

Since it's painfully obvious I'm not going to make my regular night-time deposit, here's one of those gorgeous Frank King Gasoline Alley Sunday pages that turned 100 years old today (August 12, 1923, via Comics in The Golden Age, an X-Twitter refugee who is currently doing things you'd probably love on Bluesky)

Neat.
I see the Digital Comic Museum has scans up to 1930, though most of them seem to just be dailies.
Amazon has two collections of Sundays from 1920 to 25 for $290.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mycatscrimes posted:

There should be a serious dramatic soap opera styled exactly like the visuals in classic Mary Worth, because it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbUm4q5Euyk

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Hippocrass posted:

Neat.
I see the Digital Comic Museum has scans up to 1930, though most of them seem to just be dailies.
Amazon has two collections of Sundays from 1920 to 25 for $290.

Update: Someone just purchased the last copies of both collections.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mycatscrimes posted:

Mary Worth & the others really are styled after the old radio soaps.

In "The Box: An Oral History of Television 1920-1961," the interviewers cover production: The first TV producers were radio producers, so they worked with what they knew. Soap operas were easy (and more importantly, cheap) because almost all scenes are inside, it's mostly a set cast with few new characters, and the straightforward story lines required no more than journeyman writing talent.

They were instantly popular, and one of the old radio rules on writing episodes was that the plot development was incremental, so that if a viewer missed a few episodes, they were able to pick it up again without any real loss of continuity.

I don't think the pacing suits the comic format, but I'm not a big fan of soaps as it is*. But they remain true to the format: if you skip four days in this thread & read Day 5, you really don't miss anything.

*I appreciate the time and effort that goes into collating these strips and posting them, so please don't stop. I do read them!

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 13, 2023

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 09, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

i dont like the Rae the Doe sundays!!

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 13, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I don't like the Rae Sundays either but it's even more confusing that she's doing the same types of gags as the rest of the week (outside of disappearing into month-long Jojo references) but now with vague vegetable shapes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vargo posted:

Maybe when Jules skims an article about another type of guy that annoys her.

Good point, this is what I think has been really off about the writing in NuTrail.

Each new storyline is as if Jules skimmed over a news article about something nature-related, didn't put in the effort to research why this is such a big problem and how this affects nature in the long run, and then proceeds to create a story without bothering to plot things ahead of time, all while phoning it in with the art. There's just so much pointless chaff and meandering in all of the NuTrail stories! It's as if Jules doesn't care about the act of making comics other than a way to own boomers online.

If I had to change things in this arc, it'd be:

- Have Mark and his dad in the train that had the chemical spill. Sets up an immediate sense of danger and also lets Mark help the injured get away from the chemicals. This means Mark and his dad don't look like complete assholes who are only rushing to a scene of an accident to film it for their blog.
- Once people have been sent to the hospital and a day has passed, Mark gets a call from Cherry who jokes about the small delay in his train means he'd be stuck with his dad even more. Mark's confused why she's downplaying this and Cherry mentions the news said the train had some engine problems that couldn't be fixed for hours.
- Mark sneaks back to the accident site in the middle of the night and sees there's no trace of evidence of the spill left. He almost gets caught by goons in hazmat suits until the race car guy helps him get away.
- Race car guy reveals that this whole thing was a cover-up and Mark's outraged because the spill is going to cause some serious problems for the local wildlife. They both agree this needs to be blown wide open so that whoever's responsible will be made to pay.
- Plot where they sneak into the corpo's HQ to find evidence, gets confronted by the CEO for their foolishness, and has their phones confiscated. Mark gets to do something satisfying like punching a corrupt CEO in the face and then takes his phone and makes his escape.
- Mark and race car guy gets chased outside the building where the CEO's goons catch them and beat them up. The CEO personally takes their phones and stomps on it, ranting about how no one will know what he did.
- But surprise! The media's right around the corner and caught everything on camera. The CEO is confused and Mark smugly explains that while he was too focused on getting Mark's phone, he didn't realize Mark already uploaded the evidence online for people to see.
- Bam! CEO guy gets arrested and has to pay billions to help fix the effects of the spill. Mark and race car guy get to fade in the background while feeling good about a job well done, yadda yadda.

Sorry for the :words: it's just kind of amazing how we went from having high hopes about NuTrail to thinking it sucks poo poo.