Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

it’s going to be extremely hard for me to just not buy all of CoS when they drop. gently caress!!! My pile of shame is already too large!!!

I've made a deal that if I sell all my unpainted models and tidy up my painting area I'm allowed to buy infinity CoS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arven posted:

Thank gently caress they're on normal-rear end horses. I've been waiting years for this refresh and was worried they'd put all the cavalry on lizards or something.

This horse:

Winklebottom posted:

This guy wasn't part of the leak, was he?

looks a lot better than the regular cavaliers

also, if the retinue is one box I may have to get it, they're my favorite of the bunch

Is a really loving good horse. They really nailed the body language and movement of a horse picking it's way down some rough terrain.

It's cool to see a warhammer horse that isn't just running on a empty field.

edit: Plus the movement of the horse's tail, mane, cloak, and banner really sells the impression of them having a strong wind to their back. Just a real good model all around.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/07/cities-of-sigmar-who-or-what-exactly-are-gargoylians/

Turns out all these lil guys we've seen are called Gargoylians, and not just the dog one.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
All these little dudes rule

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
gently caress... I don't really care for CoS, but those little guys are suuuper good.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Love our pet medieval marginalia critters.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/07/cities-of-sigmar-who-or-what-exactly-are-gargoylians/

Turns out all these lil guys we've seen are called Gargoylians, and not just the dog one.

this is the first and only good Lore™ of a tabletop game

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
"Weird magic poo poo happened and now these little guys just follow us around....gently caress it, just roll with it." is really never a bad thing to add to your setting.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mors Rattus posted:

Love our pet medieval marginalia critters.

"What if medieval marginalia were real things" is such a great concept

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

grassy gnoll posted:

Gotta buy Cursed City for that.

There's a pair called the ven Densts and an underworlds warband too (edit: Hexbane's Hunters)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/08/cities-of-sigmar-bring-your-stronghold-with-you-with-the-castelite-formation/

CoS rules! And Sprue pictures!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
That feels like a battalion made to have your opponent never want to play you again

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

From all the leaked stuff I've seen it does look like fusiliers by a truckload are the way to go. Or dark elfs if you are fancy mofo

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

From all the leaked stuff I've seen it does look like fusiliers by a truckload are the way to go. Or dark elfs if you are fancy mofo

Gonna outgun KO at this rate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Feeple posted:

and that's why one of the subfactions gives KO ships (and their passengers) retreat-and-shoot

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Oh I'm getting this https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/09/the-blacktalons-strike-out-into-the-age-of-sigmar-with-precision-and-ferocity/

Feeple posted:

If I was KO I would be worried mostly about return fire (meanwhile lumilaughs in sentinels)

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I haven't watched any of the Blacktalon stuff, but that looks like a pretty neat Warcry/Underworlds warband. We need more warbands with different factions mixed together, screw how awkward that'll be porting it over to proper AoS!

Makes me want an Angels of Death Kill Team

Desfore fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 9, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I LOVE THESE SKRUNKLIES

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Desfore posted:

I haven't watched any of the Blacktalon stuff, but that looks like a pretty neat Warcry/Underworlds warband. We need more warbands with different factions mixed together, screw how awkward that'll be porting it over to proper AoS!

Three words: Regiments of Renown baybee.

edit: That's four words. I'll submit to the justice of Ghal-Maraz for this.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Church Unberogen and the Cult of the Wheel have conferred and agreed that “of” is not, ontologically speaking, a word, but rather a connective element representing the divinity of Sigmar, so we’re good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The judgement of Ghal Maraz is about as threatening as a strong breeze unless you want to wait until round three, at which point it's about as nasty as an ant bite. I'd take my chances, personally.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Riding my mutant Shetland through the halls of Space Station Sigmar, throwing rude gestures and causing a generalized fracas. Big Sig locks himself in his office in a panic, then immediately sets about making a new, better, more heroic form of hall monitor, the Sigmar Safety Sigmar Patrol Sigmars.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
For your information, at last check Cities of Sigmar win around 50% of matches and Stormcast win--

Oh.

Oh dear.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Age of Sigmar, indeed.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

sasha_d3ath posted:

For your information, at last check Cities of Sigmar win around 50% of matches and Stormcast win--

Oh.

Oh dear.

Sorry, I don't play competitively, are Stormcast top dog or bottom of the pile? I seem to recall a lot of hype about their all-dragon armies.

Assessor of Maat posted:

this specifically

grabbed it from here; https://www.mdpi.com/2571-9408/6/2/58 but I'm sure i've seen it or a nearly identical drawing in a book previously.

anyway, you can also find similar designs of Veuglaire if you look around. GW have cobbled it together from a few styles but whoever it was does appear to have done some research... though like I said still missed something important, the second breech on the base of the model doesn't have a lip to socket into the barrel, so I wouldn't want to be standing near this thing when fired:

Thank you, and to everyone else who commented! I can't imagine those designs worked very well, it would be so difficult to get full obduration of the breech. Must be why they went back to muzzle loaders. Still, really interesting that GW have done some research instead of just winging it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Genghis Cohen posted:

Sorry, I don't play competitively, are Stormcast top dog or bottom of the pile? I seem to recall a lot of hype about their all-dragon armies.

SCE are not doing all that great tournament wise but I blame it in part on the fact there is a lot of sce players but sce are not a begginer faction so the results are kinda skewed

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Genghis Cohen posted:

Dragons were more of a problem before they removed their Hero phase move, but they're still fairly strong. I don't see them frequently, though.

Given the new season, I imagine dragons will still show up occasionally, but not be nearly as popular as they were in their heyday.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Warhammer has good meta stats, here is their latest: https://woehammer.com/2023/07/30/aos-meta-stats-w-ending-23rd-july-2023-new-ghb/?amp=1 puts SCE at the bottom.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

SCE are not doing all that great tournament wise but I blame it in part on the fact there is a lot of sce players but sce are not a begginer faction so the results are kinda skewed

As someone contributing to that negative statistical bias, that's definitely part of it. But SCE primarily suffer from having maybe half a dozen actually good units and being designed with really early assumptions about how the game works in 3rd edition that didn't pan out.

Vindictors are a pretty good profile in a vacuum. Let's hypothetically cut them down to 100 points a unit. Even then, would you take 200 points of Vindictors over 200 points of zombies, given the option?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Atg some point in I think 40k 9th edition they had to come out with a Space Marines 2.0 codex to try and bring them up some. I dunno if they'll bother with that with 4.0 being so close.

This is definitely one of the big downsides of the codex/battletome system - if a faction really falls behind GW won't do much to rectify the problem because people have printed books out there. They'll adjust points or put things in the battlescroll, but you have to wait whole editions for any reworks or major buffs/nerfs.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That was 8th when they did a double space marine codex. LRL got two in second but I think the second one just added units and didn't change anything. But yeah, GW overestimates how much they can change things with just points.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The second LRL battletome was just part 2, yeah.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

neaden posted:

That was 8th when they did a double space marine codex. LRL got two in second but I think the second one just added units and didn't change anything. But yeah, GW overestimates how much they can change things with just points.

You have to admit it’s pretty funny that LRL had three books in three successive years. In that same time span Beasts of Chaos, Slaves to Darkness, Ogor Mawtribes and Gloomspite Gitz got a grand total of 0 books between them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/15/cities-of-sigmar-raise-your-wheels-in-prayer-for-pontifex-zenestra/

Rules teaser for Pontifex Zenestra. Starting to get obvious that a CoS release is creeping closer.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/15/cities-of-sigmar-raise-your-wheels-in-prayer-for-pontifex-zenestra/

Rules teaser for Pontifex Zenestra. Starting to get obvious that a CoS release is creeping closer.

D3 Mortals on every enemy Priest/Wizard on the board is really strong on a 3+ and then 2+. Especially given this season wants you to take several wizards.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Feeple posted:

D3 Mortals on every enemy Priest/Wizard on the board is really strong on a 3+ and then 2+. Especially given this season wants you to take several wizards.

play a couple luminarks/hurricanums and you can pretty reliably snipe out most unmounted wizards with not that much counterplay possible

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

play a couple luminarks/hurricanums and you can pretty reliably snipe out most unmounted wizards with not that much counterplay possible

People are talking about taking 4 Hurricanums and doing 24? d3 mortal wounds by turn 3?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/08/16/cities-of-sigmar-orders-help-mortals-stand-fast-against-gods-and-daemons/

More CoS rules. Apparently they now get orders, much like the Guard in 40k.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I do not love it - it adds more separation between races and return fire sounds unhealthy to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I do not love it - it adds more separation between races and return fire sounds unhealthy to me

I don't understand what you mean by separation of the races? It seems cool to me.

Return fire seems like it will function as a "don't shoot this unit" ability that armies will need to play around. Sucks for KO I guess but they'll just have to dedicate all the guns to wiping out the target, as usual.