Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Xaris posted:

that said for sentimentality nostalgia, i do like the idea of them having a big Summer Fun Break but it's just not viable for material conditions these days, so yeah, get rid of it

What if we improved material conditions somewhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

ScrubLeague posted:

Instant coffee is fine as long as you use filtered water and none of the flavor stuff

filtered water? I use tap water like the lord intended

flavour stuff is haram

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the gently caress are you doing using a percolater for coffee in 2023

Like, not to be that coffee poster, but an aeropress is not exactly that expensive to operate and elevates every coffee put in a whole tier.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

You all are right, I meant drip machine, I do not know why I said percolator. I don't even know what a percolator is. Maybe I thought they were two words for the same thing? :confused::iiam:

Edit;

Salt Fish posted:

:mods:

SlimGoodbody has issued a correction as of 21:35 on Aug 12, 2023

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

StratGoatCom posted:

I'm sorry, I'm not giving up good coffee a second before I have to. :colbert:

Cavendish Bananas will be gone first, but coffee and chocolate are likely not permanent fixtures in the world. We can still save avocados if we just take a chunk of so-cal and dedicate it to that purpose.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xaris posted:

what pushback? there's really been no pushback and every single american, particularly computer touchers and redditors, was all on-board the AI hype train. even dumb "normies" were all onboard the chatgpt hype train choo choo invest in NVDA.

anytime a sub banned like AI art there was a huge outcry of QQ how can you do this art is subjective. if ai art is good who cares if it's ai???

I was able to convince everyone at my job not to use it. It wasn't even hard -- I said "lol maybe don't feed the all-consuming machine learning algorithm our intellectual property" and that was that :shrug:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

wynott dunn posted:

I drink instant coffee because I hate myself

During the lockdown I bought a bunch of "Nescafé Clasico Instant Coffee, Dark Roast, 10.5 oz, 2-pack" from costco for emergencies, and now I just keep buying it and haven't gone back. Each 2-pack lasts me about 3 weeks. I add a little plant-milk and I'm not sure if I could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

They come in glass jars, so it makes me feel a little better than plastic.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

wynott dunn posted:

at least it doesn’t last long

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

Soy protein and Whey protein powders have also surged in price with the rest of inflation, which is really loving my budget up. The truth is somewhere in the middle

I checked my last order on Amazon from 2017 for natural vanilla: $55 then, $89 now

Insanity

Xaris posted:

It's honestly probably better for the material conditions of the masses to move to a Year-Round-School schedule so... yeah they should just do it. rip it off. no more than 2-week summer break

long rear end 3-month summer breaks was for the 60s-90s when parents had someone SAH and could take roadtrip vacations across the southwest for 4 weeks straight. not the 2020s.

that said for sentimentality nostalgia, i do like the idea of them having a big Summer Fun Break but it's just not viable for material conditions these days, so yeah, get rid of it

COVID reset on school was absolutely the right time to move to year round school (starting summer of '21) and it sucks the opportunity was blown. Too many vested interests - would need the fed to pay for HVAC installation and bus drivers, would need every union contract renegotiated (especially since so many teachers work other jobs over the summer), and Big Summer Camp would be in the ear of every local politician screaming about how their summer revenue kept the church/private school/park district afloat.

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Aug 12, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thinking of switching to a percolator since I heard it tastes better than drip filters

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm a Moka Pot evangelist, it just takes forever to make like two cups.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Salt Fish posted:

well no that's not happening so in lieu of that it's better for parents to have year-round school for their kids

also tbh not even really sure a 3-month break is good. i think studies have shown it is infact not good for learning which is partly why they dont do it anymore

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

wynott dunn posted:

U can maks greek frappe w that poo poo

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

AvesPKS posted:

Couldn't like even the doctors themselves collectively subsidize primary care (like tipping out to a bar back) to ensure the system doesn't collapse?

Not with med school loans.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

super sweet best pal posted:

Thinking of switching to a percolator since I heard it tastes better than drip filters

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iSxNP-1VpjE&pp=ygUWZmlzaCBpbiB0aGUgcGVyY29sYXRvcg%3D%3D

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Summer break should be 4 months long and summer jobs should be illegal. Once you graduate you're never going to get to take another break like that for the rest of your life. You got 1 shot for summer breaks, gently caress being smart.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Azuth0667 posted:

Not with med school loans.

So then you'd have to go higher than that to make it work, which will never happen. Got it.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Most schools are slowly creeping toward year round school and I wish they’d just rip the bandaid off already. Americans tend to have a knee jerk response to the idea of going to school in summer (mostly because of tradition and sentimentality) and they don’t even want to hear about all the extra breaks throughout the year that make up for it, so the schools are going for a frog boil approach to slowly get everyone on board.

School didn’t start until after Labor Day from K-8 for me. For high school it was the 4th week in August and I thought it was total bullshit.

In order to have summer school you need to have air-conditioning and no schools where I went had a/c. We'd start in mid August and spent the entire first month just trying to not have a heat stroke.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

trevorreznik posted:

I checked my last order on Amazon from 2017 for natural vanilla: $55 then, $89 now

Insanity
from my receipts, one type of 5lb tub

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey, Natural Chocolate, 5 Pound
$35.03

$56.97

now
$83.94

I used to live on this stuff + frozen bags of cheap veggies and big bulk bags of rice when I had little money and my only hobby was bodybuilding. It was a great deal for almost 2000 grams of protein. poo poo's hosed

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
how do you expect parents to work year round if their kids have summer off huh

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

So it seems like every country on earth has national debt ranging from "large" to "there isn't actually that much money in existence," right? Okay, like... how? Who are these countries in debt? How can EVERY country be in massive debt? Is it aliens? Or is there like one secret country in the hollow earth with a ninety quadrillion dollar surplus??

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Vox Nihili posted:

only children in wealthy families are allowed to see their parents

this is pretty crazy. america is in full blown collapse.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

super sweet best pal posted:

if you like the taste of burnt coffee then yeah go ahead and make the switch. Drip was a huge improvement over percolators at the time because it’s just dumping hot water over the grounds, more or less an automated pour over. Percolators otoh just heat in a loop, which means you’re boiling the water that has already absorbed coffee again and that makes it taste like bitter rear end. Same can happen with drip makers if you leave em on the “keep warm” plate too long.

The reason a French press or pour over can work better than a drip is because you can get the water to a very specific temp prior to brewing it whereas the Mr. Coffee design (or similar ones) uses the boiling action to move the water from the carafe to the drip dispenser and while they have some features designed to cool it a bit before it spurts out onto the grounds it’s usually still too hot. That said a lot of people I know that swear by presses or pourovers just use an electric kettle and dump boiling water right on the grounds regardless so any benefit they think they’re getting is just a placebo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/GaryWinslett/status/1689770681691455488?t=ENgy9cXQ2oQDhd1qcxYNww&s=19

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SlimGoodbody posted:

So it seems like every country on earth has national debt ranging from "large" to "there isn't actually that much money in existence," right? Okay, like... how? Who are these countries in debt? How can EVERY country be in massive debt? Is it aliens? Or is there like one secret country in the hollow earth with a ninety quadrillion dollar surplus??

money isn't real

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SlimGoodbody posted:

most countries are indebted to the american hegemonic system through various IMF and other types of exploitation to create an imperial periphery to exploit and immiserate

america is itself indebted to the capitalist shareholder system of exploitation but in a different way; its indebted to keep profits flowing to the 0.01%

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

biceps crimes posted:

from my receipts, one type of 5lb tub

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey, Natural Chocolate, 5 Pound
$35.03

$56.97

now
$83.94

I used to live on this stuff + frozen bags of cheap veggies and big bulk bags of rice when I had little money and my only hobby was bodybuilding. It was a great deal for almost 2000 grams of protein. poo poo's hosed
Yeah I remember in 2017 being like what the gently caress, this used to be 40 at most , and stopped buying. My eyes popped out of my head seeing the $80+. It's cheese byproduct! There's nothing new going on here!

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

Xaris posted:

well no that's not happening so in lieu of that it's better for parents to have year-round school for their kids

also tbh not even really sure a 3-month break is good. i think studies have shown it is infact not good for learning which is partly why they dont do it anymore

summer break (in the context of a student growing and learning) is beneficial if you have a home/parent life that allows for your summer to include enriching activities. these don’t have to be related to your material means, but like anything else in this world your relative proximity to wealth will greatly impact the kinds of enrichment you can experience and the number of summers in which it occurs.

so, since the obvious implication of this is “some students are not able to enjoy an enriching summer (possibly at all)” the next move is “well what if school was year long with smaller breaks?” this is of course favored by capital who see this as state-enforced daycare, thus freeing up more hours for parents to work.

it also homogenizes the relationship labor has with time: there is no longer a “mandated” vacation time, or time specifically meant to be relaxing. in the past this might also have been how winter holidays are viewed but I don’t know if I could name anyone who isn’t stressed by Christmas, thanksgiving, or both. if people no longer think of times of the year as being for anything but more and continued work, so much the better!

anecdotally, I’ve really enjoyed my trip through college as an older student much more because I’ve kept up with summer courses, and the continued “being in learning mode” has been beneficial overall, but just because it works for me doesn’t mean that’s going to be the case for anyone else. but I’m on my own and have made sure to build a structure for myself that lets me achieve my goals.

to wrap back around: I don’t know if it’s reasonable to expect that each summer we expect all working class people to just suddenly account for an unattended minor that is otherwise the ward of the state from 7-3 or 9-5 or whatever your state has for public school hours. many people can maybe adjust or account for this, but if you still have to work all day this just becomes time your kid is left to their own devices.

anyway, vastly fund public schools and pay teachers 10x what they make now at a minimum and we can go from there.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

98.7% certain the quoted wage includes the assumed very generous tips.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

nomad2020 posted:

What tips? LC is carry out only, there's no dine in or delivery.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm guessing the vast vast majority of shrinkflation is for ultraprocessed foods, which is garbage anyway. so maybe there's a silver lining

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1690420570158948353?s=20

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

money isn't real

Well, yes, of course, but it's a fiction we have to play along with at gunpoint

Xaris posted:

most countries are indebted to the american hegemonic system through various IMF and other types of exploitation to create an imperial periphery to exploit and immiserate

america is itself indebted to the capitalist shareholder system of exploitation but in a different way; its indebted to keep profits flowing to the 0.01%

This is too stupid and insane to be real. Like if every single country decided to say "nope, done, our debt is clear," then what? Who is coming to collect? The gently caress is anyone gonna do about it?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SlimGoodbody posted:

okay so you start trading something back and forth and make it a currency

but then you need more of the currency than can realistically exist

so you create debt that lets people borrow currency

therefore we have infinite growth forever, amen

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ScrubLeague posted:

Moka pots make way better coffee than drip machines, but not nearly as much

I really like my moka pot because I dont want like a whole carafe of coffee anyway and it comes out real nice and strong.

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

SlimGoodbody posted:

Well, yes, of course, but it's a fiction we have to play along with at gunpoint

This is too stupid and insane to be real. Like if every single country decided to say "nope, done, our debt is clear," then what? Who is coming to collect? The gently caress is anyone gonna do about it?

presumably the US military will come and liberate you

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Salt Fish posted:

Summer break should be 4 months long and summer jobs should be illegal. Once you graduate you're never going to get to take another break like that for the rest of your life. You got 1 shot for summer breaks, gently caress being smart.

Adults manage to hike long-trails like the Appalachian and Pacific Crest. Sounds like you need to make better life choices.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

nomad2020 posted:

It's also "up to" and the tweeter is making a lot of assumptions about that and about the hours you can get at little Caesars

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol people take sabbaticals all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Comatoast posted:

Adults manage to hike long-trails like the Appalachian and Pacific Crest. Sounds like you need to make better life choices.

I know a guy who hiked the Appalachian trial until he got insanely ill and had to quit. he had to use all of his PTO and still had to officially go “on sabbatical” (which at this company meant he could reapply for his job with preferential treatment because he had otherwise been a good employee) and while he was gone the company was bought out anyway.