Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

So you're saying, "when there's smoke, people fire [at it]"?

edit: what a snipe. On last page: Kerch bridge on fire smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am hoping for the best option:
Russia was moving smoke generators across the bridge and the Ukrainians blew them up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

VictualSquid posted:

I am hoping for the best option:
Russia was moving smoke generators across the bridge and the Ukrainians blew them up.

smoke generators: working

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it's not smoke, it's steam

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tunicate posted:

it's not smoke, it's steam

smoked ham

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Russia just trying to deny Ukraine the glory and honor of destroying a bridge.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The white smoke indicates the Russians have chosen a new general, after the last one got smoked by HIMARS.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

in a well actually posted:

No no, the smoke is just a side effect of the heat sources set up to confuse IR seekers.

Ah yes the well known IR source: stationary bridge.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

If you can't see the bridge, you can't tell if it's destroyed, bing bong so simple.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Do you think Ukraine is doing these strikes on the bridge during the daylight on purpose for the extra effect of visual proof for people standing on the beach? Seems like most of these strikes are taking place during the day, or maybe it's just the ones I'm remembering.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

If you can't see the bridge, you can't tell if it's destroyed, bing bong so simple.

Also, the smoke gives them a chance to reposition the bridge. Just wait until they move it away from the mainland, the Ukrainians wouldn't dare attack it then

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It does.make it harder to spot vehicles. Concealment is a necessity on the battlefield.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

The Door Frame posted:

Also, the smoke gives them a chance to reposition the bridge. Just wait until they move it away from the mainland, the Ukrainians wouldn't dare attack it then

Add a sick jump to it for Russian drivers to feel something. If it’s not connected to the mainland, it’s not a bridge, therefore not worth attacking. But with sick jump ramps? Russian as gently caress

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Smoke screens for stationary targets were a thing in WW2. I don't have any idea if it's what's happening in these photos, but it's not an absurd idea out of hand.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Madurai posted:

Smoke screens for stationary targets were a thing in WW2. I don't have any idea if it's what's happening in these photos, but it's not an absurd idea out of hand.

WWII munitions were aimed differently and unguided.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Madurai posted:

well yeah but precision guided munitions were not* a thing in WW2. it's not like most of Ukraine's weapons that can be used against the bridge are necessarily visually guided, marine drones notwithstanding and maybe not even then. Smokescreens aren't guaranteed to be silly but it probably is here.

* yeah I know there were some experimentals right at the end

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flikken posted:

WWII munitions were aimed differently and unguided.

The remote-controlled explosive boats used in the last attack are apparently visually guided. In theory a dense and large enough smokescreen could be effective.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Couldn't you drive the boat into the smokescreen, slow down, and scan for a piling? I guess that gives Russia more time to destroy the nautical drone, but on the other hand, once you find two pilings, you have a pretty good idea where to blow up.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anything TV guided or semiactive laser homing won't like smoke either.* Observers counting vehicle traffic through binocs won't like it either.

* for the correct kinds of smoke.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The smoke screens are probably covering the air defense asets.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

A.o.D. posted:

Ah yes the well known IR source: stationary bridge.

You have gps jammers, radar can be jammed, inertial guidance is expensive and finicky, but good luck cooling down a sun-heated mass of concrete above a cold sea. Popping flares is just anticipating the other side’s treacherous next moves.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
with how much the bridge is worth, both in literal and strategic and geopolitical terms, there's almost no type of defense that isn't worth the cost, even if it has a fairly low chance of working

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The smoke is something they've set up and tested both on the bridge and in sevastopol several times. Presumably it's to throw off Storm Shadow which uses imaging infrared for target recognition and terminal guidance.

If Ukraine are throwing a couple of S200s towards the bridge it may be as much to determine where AD and the smoke generators are located as anything else

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Has anyone considered the bridge is just really stressed and started smoking to cope?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

The Door Frame posted:

The bridge knows where it is, because it knows where it isn't

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

GD_American posted:

The bridge knows where it is, because it knows where it isn't

everyone knows where the bridge is, because it has been fitted with an adapted version of the Kuznetsov's smoke beacon ADF system

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nessus posted:

Couldn't you drive the boat into the smokescreen, slow down, and scan for a piling? I guess that gives Russia more time to destroy the nautical drone, but on the other hand, once you find two pilings, you have a pretty good idea where to blow up.

This gives the adversary time to locate and neutralize the surface munition.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wasabi the J posted:

This gives the adversary time to locate and neutralize the surface munition.
I'm imagining an automatic chaingun of some kind tracking a naval drone as it weaves around and buzzsawing through the bridge while staying on target.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nessus posted:

I'm imagining an automatic chaingun of some kind tracking a naval drone as it weaves around and buzzsawing through the bridge while staying on target.

The bridge turns to the russians on it "I'm afraid they got ush shon"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

The drone just circles the bridge pillars as fast as it can and the Russian ship accidentally takes out the bridge trying to shoot it down

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The assistant bridgekeeper turns to the head bridgekeeper and says "you arrogant rear end. You've killed us"

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Has anyone considered the bridge is just really stressed and started smoking to cope?

The bridge just can't catch a break. Smoking is the leading cause of explosions in Crimea and Russia, and it has first-hand, concrete evidence that explosions cause stress and more smoking.

It's a Kerch-22, really.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mzuri posted:

It's a Kerch-22, really.

New thread title. :)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Mzuri posted:

It's a Kerch-22, really.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mzuri posted:

It's a Kerch-22, really.

:drat: :eyepop:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Stravag posted:

The bridge turns to the russians on it "I'm afraid they got ush shon"

Heh

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Mzuri posted:

It's a Kerch-22, really.

:allears:
:golfclap:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a Perun/Anders Puck crossover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBlVnc_DEw

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Relatively new article detailing the Battle of Hostomel.

https://warontherocks.com/2023/08/the-battle-of-hostomel-airport-a-key-moment-in-russias-defeat-in-kyiv/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1690782569665818624

quote:

Russia: 1,330 miles away from Moscow (2,140 km), chyron on the news company SIA-PRESS Center building in Sugrut: "Putin is huylo and a thief, 100 rubles for a dollar you're loving crazy."