Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Prolly need one of them static brooms? My gym needs that, too. I wouldn't say the mats look like the couches of someone with too many pets but I guess there's plenty of hair on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Successfully baited one of my go-to moves for the first time. Now I’m a remedial rear end white belt, so simply doing a move correctly is a big accomplishment, but not telegraphing my intentions is seemingly impossible.

Anyway, I was in mount and putting a lot of effort into isolating and attacking my partners left hand: swapping back and forth between americana attempts and kimuras. She used her right hand to try and free her left, so I looped my left arm behind her head and grabbed her right wrist and dragged her up into my lap for a rear naked choke.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Successfully baited one of my go-to moves for the first time. Now I’m a remedial rear end white belt, so simply doing a move correctly is a big accomplishment, but not telegraphing my intentions is seemingly impossible.

It’s more fun to telegraph everything but be in such a dominant position / pace during the roll that your partner can do nothing to stop it :hb:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

oss

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I had to teach a class on collar sleeve which I don’t really use so I spent 48 hours obsessing over the submeta and jon thomas videos about it.

It rules. I hit so many triangles today. It’s deeply satisfying to teach a move to a class and then hit that move on the people you just taught it to.

I’ve stayed away from the gi-specific guards for a long time, but they’re completely OP. I’m going to start playing two different games between gi and nogi classes.

collar sleeve is goated

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Would anyone like to share some escapes and/or back takes they feel are a little less common? I know that's subjective but I occasionally like to intentionally avoid my A game and could use suggestions. For me that would mean NOT rolling people over or securing half guard when in bottom positions and NOT trying to get and stay on top. But I'm finding I don't actually have many tools for, say, bottom mount that aren't either getting half guard or rolling them over.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Would anyone like to share some escapes and/or back takes they feel are a little less common? I know that's subjective but I occasionally like to intentionally avoid my A game and could use suggestions. For me that would mean NOT rolling people over or securing half guard when in bottom positions and NOT trying to get and stay on top. But I'm finding I don't actually have many tools for, say, bottom mount that aren't either getting half guard or rolling them over.

Hip push to single leg x.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfvKyyJswE
Double unders escape.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ClG5-nniXU

honestly the old trap and roll I feel is rare considering its one of the first escapes people learn from mount.

The double unders escape is my bread and butter.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Defenestrategy posted:

Double unders escape.

honestly the old trap and roll I feel is rare considering its one of the first escapes people learn from mount.

Oh yeah, for me it's almost all about getting to some guard. The ole trap n' roll can create the movement I need to either get half guard, or shrimp out, or whatever, I'm not actually trapping an arm and a leg and rolling many people over.

Although! There's a variant of it where you wait for them to commit an arm, and then you don't so much trap as just lay on that leg, and that can be surprising enough to work.

The second one I know but don't do much, I should try it more, though it'll put me in a top position. The first one is perfect though, we just spent some time working on leg locks and I need a lot more practice with them, I'll start drilling that escape, thanks.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 2, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Should always be threatening the trap and roll even while looking for other stuff

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I just suck at it (I do), but I haven’t been finding much success escaping bottom mount with the bump + shrimp. Sometimes I’m able to sneak into half guard by scooping their calf with my heel, but if I don’t succeed on the first attempt it’s blatantly obvious what I’m trying.

any advice on getting out of this perennially sticky situation?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Head Bee Guy posted:

Maybe I just suck at it (I do), but I haven’t been finding much success escaping bottom mount with the bump + shrimp. Sometimes I’m able to sneak into half guard by scooping their calf with my heel, but if I don’t succeed on the first attempt it’s blatantly obvious what I’m trying.

To me it's all about this bridge:

https://youtu.be/EMEueexp9zU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Head Bee Guy posted:

The trick is that it's a dilemma, and you're not failing, you're getting a good result. To stop the bump and shrimp they need to shift their weight onto one knee, which makes their other leg light and easier to grab. And if they want to stop that elbow escape they need to get heavy on that leg, which makes the other direction more vulnerable to the bump and shrimp. I've found that against more advanced people that the above-posted third direction, into SLX, becomes useful. But if I go from bottom mount to any kind of half guard, I'm pleased as gently caress, not disappointed.

Remember, if any limb or point is heavy and hard to move, that's a 100% guarantee that a complimentary point is proportionally light and vulnerable to attack. Heavy here; light there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Well said. And that's why I try to tell beginners that you need two complimentary escapes, and you need to create movement. Defending one escape enables the other, and you just have to keep going back and forth between them, while your opponent keeps going back and forth between different holds/adjustments, until you get something.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Sometimes I feel like escapes are easy because I'm bigger than most of my training partners. But this weekend I was doing newaza with someone closer to my size. This person is or was on the national judo team. Well, escaping from underneath of them was in fact not easy.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

Keep their hips framed away from you. Watch out for backtakes.

Bridges, big and small, keep your opponent guessing and makes it harder for him to attack you. In between these bridges try and work your escapes.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, when I'm helping the kids roll and they get mounted, I tell them that now is the time to work, and keep bridging, because it'll keep the other kid from fooling more with that cross collar choke they're setting up.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
there's also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqUTsQ4BBwU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
The kipping escape into SLX is powerful once you get good at it, but the learning curve is pretty steep because of how many moving parts it has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZvC5BVY0ms

Also, the classic trap'n'roll has a lot more depth to it than most people realize, even among black belts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt_j_H4JPnc

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I really like this one because I’d be framing across the hips anyway for the more traditional escapes. So you can just kinda mix it in

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Double unders escape.

The trap and roll is HIGHLY effective when the bridge is very powerful and sudden. It doesnt really matter if they post or not, they usually go over. The framing on the hip though, is a new detail I havent seen before.

Also, that side mount escape is slick. Its a hard position to escape from and I see people more oftenly trying to go to turtle than turning into their opponent. This escape is almost like a modified waiter sweep.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Forgot about that trap and roll, that’s a good one.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The bridge and roll can also work with good timing. It was my only mount escape until purple belt (don't recommend that) so I got pretty good at it.

If your opponent can see it coming it's very hard to execute. I like to trap the arm in a subtle way, usually by gripping over his existing grip. He might forget he doesn't have a post on that side. Be patient, and work other escapes. If your opponent starts to lean forward or at all towards the trap side then you can hit it very cleanly, even against big people. The timing window is tiny though.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I like using the classics because it makes me feel accomplished that I can still hit basically day one jits against people and they couldnt stop it. Like someone winning a gun fight with a flintlock while my enemy is playing with drones and machineguns.

Like everytime I hit the basic scissor sweep on someone, bam dopamine.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

there's a lot of details to make the bridge and roll work more easily that I've picked up here and there from a lot of old school guys. As long as you trap the arm and foot well you can go really efficiently over and be almost unstoppable if you do it in a particular way. It doesn't have to be a powerful burst at all. The "bridge" is more of a one-leg "baby-bridge" if you've ever heard that term.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Head Bee Guy posted:

Forgot about that trap and roll, that’s a good one.

As my old professor used to say once they grab your collar you got their cuff and sleeve: "Thats my hand now!".

If you bridge hard enough, there really is nothing keeping you from coming on top.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Do any of you log your classes/rolls into any kind of calorie calculator or whatever? I have a Garmin watch and I don't wear it during class, and I'm like oh I should log this in Garmin Connect. But like, if I say I did a one hour class, it wasn't really like a full hour of rolling. There's warmups, there's technique practice, there's watching the instructor demonstrate, there's being uke, etc. etc. etc. So I'm not sure how to log a BJJ class and get anything even remotely accurate.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I’ve been watching the bjj globetrotters videos on YouTube lately. Some of the ones I really liked:

Butt judo:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=S-754ii5OZc&feature=shareb

How to defend everything:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=BWitv9AKoNU&feature=shareb

Choke theory:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=a7WhM_zdGMw&feature=shareb

I’ve been hitting a lot of bs escapes from bottom by using the butt judo stuff. It’s good fun.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Hellblazer187 posted:

Do any of you log your classes/rolls into any kind of calorie calculator or whatever? I have a Garmin watch and I don't wear it during class, and I'm like oh I should log this in Garmin Connect. But like, if I say I did a one hour class, it wasn't really like a full hour of rolling. There's warmups, there's technique practice, there's watching the instructor demonstrate, there's being uke, etc. etc. etc. So I'm not sure how to log a BJJ class and get anything even remotely accurate.

The listed values for different excercises can be wildly variable so I've tried to generally log mostly the high active portions of the class with Lose It in the past. I would worry about hitting someone with a heart rate tracker, and fishing hands in and out makes watches particularly undesirable. Anything I miss goes into the grey area of imperfection with measurment and I don't care as long as the scale keeps going down.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Got some compliments on the nogi class I taught last night for a group of mostly white belts so I'll share what we did. One guy who barely ever talks came up and said that he thought it was one of the best classes he's had so far because of how the techniques connected, and how it included tips for the bottom player too.

It was a bottom side/reverse scarf class.

0) This one is item 0 because I added it to the plan while we were warming up. Bottom side - I showed the basic underhook escape and a way of getting that underhook against a strong top player by framing on the head. Easy peasy. 2 or 3 reps was all, but I feel as if this addition really made the class click for the white belts.

1) Top side - transition to reverse scarf, ushiro kesa gatame, when the bottom player starts to succeed at getting that underhook, and block the bridge by grabbing the shin from the outside, thumb down.

2) Reverse scarf - quick explanation of why outside, thumb down is the superior grip, and then do the kimura from there, with technical details on the grip and finish.

3) Show how the bottom player will defend the kimura from there, and then show how to move to a mounted NS kimura, break the grip, and finish from there, with technical details on upper body position and connection to the bottom player's arm.

4) Show how to transition from side through reverse scarf into north-south if the bottom player wins the underhook battle, and how to shotgun armbar the near arm from there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm having a hard time picturing the reverse scarf you're describing, it's inside thumb that's down?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm having a hard time picturing the reverse scarf you're describing, it's inside thumb that's down?

I too am wondering about this outside thumb

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

if I'm doing side control with my left arm smashing uke's face...

uke starts to get an underhook of my right arm.

I roll onto my left side and switch my hips, facing uke's feet, moving my left arm to connect elbow to elbow and pinning that underhooking arm to uke's side. My right arm reaches outside of the legs, thumb down palm in, to grab uke's far shin to kill the bridge. Lots of people find it more intuitive to reach between uke's legs to grab the far leg palm out thumb up, but this is bad and wrong.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gotcha, makes a lot of sense. Is your left arm under his head, or some place else?

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Jack B Nimble posted:

Well said. And that's why I try to tell beginners that you need two complimentary escapes, and you need to create movement. Defending one escape enables the other, and you just have to keep going back and forth between them, while your opponent keeps going back and forth between different holds/adjustments, until you get something.

I like this, I'll try to keep this in mind as I'm learning new things.
Looks like tons of good stuff in this thread that'll take a long time to soak in so I created a onenote folder I'm saving posts in with tips/links for future reference materials.

Finally got set up at a school and several classes in. Right now I think the first thing I'm going to focus on is creating space from the bottom as the biggest problem I've had so far is getting my diaphragm compressed under bigger guys' weight where I can't breathe while in half guard, mounted and side mounted. I'm already struggling as a 40+ year old, out of shape, new guy to relax and not get super winded quickly anyway so it doesn't really take a lot to finish off what little breath I have left in me.

I'm not light either so I'm trying to make an effort not to intentionally crush lighter people myself. Not with my full weight anyway. I'm just going to keep trying to pick bigger partners to roll with until I get this poo poo figured out.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

BounceBanana posted:

Looks like tons of good stuff in this thread that'll take a long time to soak in so I created a onenote folder I'm saving posts in with tips/links for future reference materials.

Finally got set up at a school and several classes in. Right now I think the first thing I'm going to focus on is creating space from the bottom as the biggest problem I've had so far is getting my diaphragm compressed under bigger guys' weight where I can't breathe while in half guard, mounted and side mounted. I'm already struggling as a 40+ year old, out of shape, new guy to relax and not get super winded quickly anyway so it doesn't really take a lot to finish off what little breath I have left in me.

I'm not light either so I'm trying to make an effort not to intentionally crush lighter people myself. Not with my full weight anyway. I'm just going to keep trying to pick bigger partners to roll with until I get this poo poo figured out.

Sounds like you've got some good plans already. When you say you're going to work on creating space from the bottom, try and keep in mind not to let people take the space away in the first place. It's hard to do when you start out, for sure, but instead of just getting in a bad position and then trying to escape, work hard to stop people getting you in those bad positions in the first place by blocking their arms and framing their torso as they're trying to pass etc

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Gotcha, makes a lot of sense. Is your left arm under his head, or some place else?

Left arm is pinning the arm across the body on the far side, and it can easily become a kimura

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

BounceBanana posted:

That's normal for a beginner. Your breathing and general toughness will improve with practice.

And when it comes to using your own weight, feel free when it comes to people more skilled/able than you. Not crushing a tiny newbie is good. But holding back like that against a blue belt is excessive politeness -- this is still a combat sport, after all.

BounceBanana
Feb 3, 2021

Count Roland posted:

...But holding back like that against a blue belt is excessive politeness -- this is still a combat sport, after all.

Yeah fair enough. I'll keep that in mind with the more advanced guys.

I've hit every possible class I could squeeze in my schedule for the last 2 weeks. Now I'm just going to recover until probably Thursday fundamentals class. I say that then watch 5pm tomorrow I'll be like "well I guess I can get ready and go to class" lol

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Got first place at competition. First time competing. Was fun. I was surprised how gassed I would get in the matches. I think I'll do it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Michael Transactions posted:

Got first place at competition. First time competing. Was fun. I was surprised how gassed I would get in the matches. I think I'll do it more.

Congrats!