Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I mean, that's the main reason it's so controversial aside from the baffling $50 price tag. It's possible R* has just communicated really poorly what the port actually entails, but everything I have read makes it sound like one of the laziest re-releases ever.

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redempt...2Dold%20assets.

It’s extremely baffling how little details there are. You’d think they’d want to advertise a higher res if it indeed supports it.

Honestly I’d be happy with just that even if it still has to run at 30 for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love
I've been feeling like playing a racing game, I downloaded the crew 2 but then saw it's about to leave the PS Plus catalog so not much point in starting that. Looking at what I have in my library likely candidates I haven't tried before are:

grid legends
dirt 5
nfs payback
wreckfest
nfs heat
hot wheels unleashed

Anyone want to point me in the direction of one of these?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Davedave24 posted:

I've been feeling like playing a racing game, I downloaded the crew 2 but then saw it's about to leave the PS Plus catalog so not much point in starting that. Looking at what I have in my library likely candidates I haven't tried before are:

grid legends
dirt 5
nfs payback
wreckfest
nfs heat
hot wheels unleashed

Dirt 5 is a lot of fun and looks really nice. Wreckfest is pretty cool but I really wouldn't recommend it without a group of friends. I found it very boring single player. Hot Wheels is bad imo. Haven't played the rest. So Dirt 5.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

Has anyone had issues with ghostwire tokyo overheating their ps5s? I've had my ps5 for about a year and never had this issue, bought ghostwire tokyo the other day and it overheated (i assume)and shut down like an hour into the game. I opened up the console and cleaned the fans, which had a bit of dust in them but nothing too crazy. And then the exact same thing happened again just now. The console is quiet as hell, it doesn't seem like the fans are struggling, and I've never had this issue with another game despite using my ps5 constantly. I'm really baffled.

E:on further research it looks like it may not be overheating; there's no warning or pop-up, the console just shuts down instantly, and to get it to restart both times I've had to unplug the power cord and reinsert it. Could the game be causing some sort of catastrophic crash?? I'm even more confused now..

so looking into this more it appears my problem may be the PSU overheating, because of a shittily designed internal vent that can become clogged with dust easily and restrict airflow from the fan to the power supply. The only solution appears to be performing major surgery to access the vent or sending it away to sony for them to deal with. I'm pretty pissed off, I had my ps4 in the same spot for 8 years and never had any issues occasional dusting couldnt fix until the thermal paste failed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Davedave24 posted:

grid legends
dirt 5
nfs payback
wreckfest
nfs heat
hot wheels unleashed

For what it's worth, my brother is a bit of a racing game aficionado, and liked all of these games. He was obsessed with Wreckfast, but that's more to do with the physics simulation (BeamNG might be his favorite game of all time). Of the rest I think he spent the most time with Heat or Dirt.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I reached credits on Armored Core 1. It's rough at the start but it ended up being a lot more fun than I expected, thanks in large part to remapping the weird rear end controls. At the game's peak, when I felt like I had a capable assembly but plenty of room to improve it, I was having a lot of fun. Though it didn't last long until I could afford all the best parts from the limited selection available. The impression I get from the AC thread is that the rest of the series doesn't really live up to the potential here. So I'm probably gonna play the PSX sequels and call it good until AC6. I'm even more excited for it now, I'm rewatching the gameplay footage from a few weeks ago and salivating at the menu stuff that I had skipped over. The customization can be as fun and engaging as the missions, and by feeding into each other they make for an addictive loop.

Anyway I'm streaming late game AC1 if anyone wants to see what that's like. Playing side missions I missed, might try experimenting with making a tankier assembly since I settled on speed and agility during the campaign.

https://twitch.tv/acksplode

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

acksplode posted:

I reached credits on Armored Core 1. It's rough at the start but it ended up being a lot more fun than I expected, thanks in large part to remapping the weird rear end controls. At the game's peak, when I felt like I had a capable assembly but plenty of room to improve it, I was having a lot of fun. Though it didn't last long until I could afford all the best parts from the limited selection available. The impression I get from the AC thread is that the rest of the series doesn't really live up to the potential here. So I'm probably gonna play the PSX sequels and call it good until AC6. I'm even more excited for it now, I'm rewatching the gameplay footage from a few weeks ago and salivating at the menu stuff that I had skipped over. The customization can be as fun and engaging as the missions, and by feeding into each other they make for an addictive loop.

Anyway I'm streaming late game AC1 if anyone wants to see what that's like. Playing side missions I missed, might try experimenting with making a tankier assembly since I settled on speed and agility during the campaign.

https://twitch.tv/acksplode

I love the sim-like approach to HUD design in these games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is Boulder. it's no use. We can't hold out any longer!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

lol that mission always sucked so much

set the stage for my hatred of 'defend the train' missions

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

veni veni veni posted:

Otogi, another game by FROM on the xbox, had a ton of lines repeated over and over by npcs in the game

It seems to be one of FROM's little things

Otogi was also very very difficult, almost a proto souls game (I am aware king's field exists)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To be fair the game wasn't repeating itself he was just save scumming every 4 seconds in his stream and that was the first line that played lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It was every 15 seconds and completely justified. No jury would convict

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I finally finished the campaign for Jedi Survivor after getting sidetracked with Zelda. This game is way bigger and harder than I expected from a major Star Wars title, I had to drop it down to medium difficulty and even then it was tough defeating the final boss.

If not for the performance issues on performance mode I’d say this was a near perfect sequel that improved everything about the first game. At this point Disney should put all major Star Wars films on ice and focus on the games, cause between this and Squadrons last year they’re really knocking it out of the park.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Want squadrons way more than a year ago?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't think dropping Lucasfilm's projects would mean more games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Otogi, another game by FROM on the xbox, had a ton of lines repeated over and over by npcs in the game

It seems to be one of FROM's little things

Otogi was also very very difficult, almost a proto souls game (I am aware king's field exists)

I wish they'd port Otogi to modern systems, it ruled

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So in shopping around for SSDs, I found out you can add an M.2 drive to a PS5, and there's even Western Digital drives with Playstation branding.

How do you install the M.2 drive? Do you have to open up the console, or is there like a slot in the back for it? I ask because while I could probably just uninstall some of the games I'm not playing, gameplay captures start eating up a lot of space, so I thought about investing in one.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Max Wilco posted:

So in shopping around for SSDs, I found out you can add an M.2 drive to a PS5, and there's even Western Digital drives with Playstation branding.

How do you install the M.2 drive? Do you have to open up the console, or is there like a slot in the back for it? I ask because while I could probably just uninstall some of the games I'm not playing, gameplay captures start eating up a lot of space, so I thought about investing in one.

there's info in the OP

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Slot in the back. Very quick and simple procedure. Only one or two screws are involved iirc. And it's a great time to buy storage.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Slot in the back. Very quick and simple procedure. Only one or two screws are involved iirc. And it's a great time to buy storage.

Well in that case, I think I'll grab one of the WD_Black SSDs for it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm very stupid and I installed mine in about 2 minutes. You'll be fine. It just plugs in. Just make sure you get one with a heat sink or you will be installing that yourself. Which doesn't look hard either but why deal with it if you dont have to

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm very stupid and I installed mine in about 2 minutes. You'll be fine. It just plugs in. Just make sure you get one with a heat sink or you will be installing that yourself. Which doesn't look hard either but why deal with it if you dont have to

The one I just ordered (the SN850P) says it has a heatsink, so I think it should be good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Keep in mind that the next system update will raise the maximum SSD size to 8TB (currently 4) so if you want to really splurge and never run out of space, just wait a bit

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I plan to one day get 8tb for my ps5 (but only if the PS6 does not support ps4 and ps5 games).

There are so many good games in this ps4-ps5 generation

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s more of a hole in the top than a hole in the back tbf

There’s also a little plastic spacer that needs to sit under the screw when you put the drive in but might go missing while you’re opening things up so look out for that

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah there a couple of gotchas but it’s nowhere near the level of, say, installing PC parts

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wish they'd port Otogi to modern systems, it ruled

Otogi was such an awesome game and God drat it looked amazing on Xbox. Let me see those spell effects in HD plz from

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

The one I just ordered (the SN850P) says it has a heatsink, so I think it should be good.

just fyi you're paying a fairly big markup for the branding. The regular version with heatsink is $30 cheaper atm, and it and similar drives have hit $100 before.

haveblue posted:

Keep in mind that the next system update will raise the maximum SSD size to 8TB (currently 4) so if you want to really splurge and never run out of space, just wait a bit

4TB is now economical, but I think 8TB drives still come at a big premium.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bugblatter posted:

Want squadrons way more than a year ago?

Yeah that was longer ago than I thought lol. I also recently discovered the psvr Star Wars game that was upgraded for psvr2 and that is really fun too.

stev posted:

I don't think dropping Lucasfilm's projects would mean more games.

Yeah but it would save them the embarrassment!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

just fyi you're paying a fairly big markup for the branding. The regular version with heatsink is $30 cheaper atm, and it and similar drives have hit $100 before.

4TB is now economical, but I think 8TB drives still come at a big premium.

Crap, wish I had seen that sooner. I'd cancel and order the other one instead, but the one I ordered had same-day delivery, and it just shipped. Still, I'll keep that in mind for the future if I upgrade it or if this one doesn't work out for whatever reason.

I'd say that 8TB seems kind of excessive for the PS5, but if you don't have the version with the disc drive, then having that much storage would be preferable to having to wait for games to download and deleting ones if you're running out of space (especially considering how much space some larger games take).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Finished the platinum for Fallout 4 this week, so I went looking for a palate cleanse. I downloaded deathloop to try the free DLC and get those trophies, then I picked up Dredge and about an hour… and I’m completely hooked (:imunfunny:). Never knew I liked lovecraftian fishing RPGs. The gameplay loop is super basic but I like the sense of progression as the story unfolds. This game is exactly what the doctor ordered between Fallout 4 and BG3/Starfield.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

I finally finished the campaign for Jedi Survivor after getting sidetracked with Zelda. This game is way bigger and harder than I expected from a major Star Wars title, I had to drop it down to medium difficulty and even then it was tough defeating the final boss.

If not for the performance issues on performance mode I’d say this was a near perfect sequel that improved everything about the first game. At this point Disney should put all major Star Wars films on ice and focus on the games, cause between this and Squadrons last year they’re really knocking it out of the park.
I also enjoyed it but the performance issues are really unacceptable for a game where you have to have good timing on your controls.

Story wise, (Jedi Survivor spoilers) i think the first game’s story flowed better. I’m glad that they worked in some of the whole ‘the Jedi Order was not exactly the greatest’ parts with things like the Cal/Merrin romance and (I assume) the idea that Cal can use Dark Side powers at times. I wish we had gotten some explanation as to how Bode managed to hide his Force abilities from multiple Jedi including a Jedi Master. For me the story kind of peaks at the big twist reveal and then the last part where you go to Tanalorr kind of fell flat. That and the fact that Bode’s daughter really got over Cal killing her father real fast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Someone should post a video of how to to PS5 part replacement and get 300 million views

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Someone should post a video of how to to PS5 part replacement and get 300 million views

I will make it and it shall be titled "How to to PS5 Part Replacement"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hbo max was maybe the worst streaming app on pS5 but Max has somehow made it 5 times worse. I can’t even watch anything without it freezing to buffer every 5 minutes. What a pile of poo poo

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

FlamingLiberal posted:

I also enjoyed it but the performance issues are really unacceptable for a game where you have to have good timing on your controls.

Story wise, (Jedi Survivor spoilers) i think the first game’s story flowed better. I’m glad that they worked in some of the whole ‘the Jedi Order was not exactly the greatest’ parts with things like the Cal/Merrin romance and (I assume) the idea that Cal can use Dark Side powers at times. I wish we had gotten some explanation as to how Bode managed to hide his Force abilities from multiple Jedi including a Jedi Master. For me the story kind of peaks at the big twist reveal and then the last part where you go to Tanalorr kind of fell flat. That and the fact that Bode’s daughter really got over Cal killing her father real fast.

I also liked the bode bad reveal and yeah, how quickly it’s resolved is pretty funny on second thought. I was surprised to see his kid in the ship all chipper and cool right after lol. Ultimately Bode’s refusal to just play along at the last minute was contrived, but it was better than the complete happy ending it was potentially dangling in front of you prior…I guess?

I was also happy Cal narrowly avoided being some incel weirdo and got some alien tang. . Although incel weirdo is sort of the defining characteristic of Jedi :magemage:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 13, 2023

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

moon demon posted:

Finished the platinum for Fallout 4 this week, so I went looking for a palate cleanse. I downloaded deathloop to try the free DLC and get those trophies, then I picked up Dredge and about an hour… and I’m completely hooked (:imunfunny:). Never knew I liked lovecraftian fishing RPGs. The gameplay loop is super basic but I like the sense of progression as the story unfolds. This game is exactly what the doctor ordered between Fallout 4 and BG3/Starfield.

Is that fallout 4 next gen update out yet?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Divinity Original Sin is such a weird game. I somehow sequence broke by...just being marginally decent at combat and fought my way to an area I guess I wasn't supposed to get to before I solved the murder, so the game started bringing up exposition you're not supposed to know yet, at which point I had to check a guide to see where solving the murder actually happens, go there and get all the plot twists my characters already knew, and then move on. Its crazy to me that they just released the biggest RPG of the year because this is like...a rough draft of a game in a lot of ways

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Divinity Original Sin is such a weird game. I somehow sequence broke by...just being marginally decent at combat and fought my way to an area I guess I wasn't supposed to get to before I solved the murder, so the game started bringing up exposition you're not supposed to know yet, at which point I had to check a guide to see where solving the murder actually happens, go there and get all the plot twists my characters already knew, and then move on. Its crazy to me that they just released the biggest RPG of the year because this is like...a rough draft of a game in a lot of ways

Divinity original Sin 1 is Demon's Souls, Divinity Original Sin 2 is Bloodborne, Baldur's gate 3 is Elden Ring hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Thinking of buying divinity original sin 2 as a substitute for not being able to play bg3 until September. I don't know much about it but it looks similar.