Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He's still a kid. Smart people can do dumb things, smart kids doubly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

depending on how long he was interning for him CE could've also spent a significant/majority of their life learning under him -- coupled with the fact that learning under Bofoi is probably one of the few places where he felt accepted/challenged/among equals it's not THAT hard to see why a 10 year old would be very conflicted

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

He's still a kid. Smart people can do dumb things, smart kids doubly so.

Also, just because you're smart doesn't mean you can't also be the most oblivious and idiotic moron on the face of the earth.

See: the goon who didn't think hieroglyphs were a real writing system for conveying language. (Or rather, did not think they were a real language, because he, as a professional STEMlord, did not realize "writing system" and "language" were actually two distinct concepts.)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Name me a child genius that hasn't hosed up at some point, I'm genuinely asking. The ones that come to mind of not having made any serious mistakes due to immaturity or being bad at dealing with people compared to machines are Artemis Fowl and Wade from Kim Possible.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RareAcumen posted:

Name me a child genius that hasn't hosed up at some point, I'm genuinely asking. The ones that come to mind of not having made any serious mistakes due to immaturity or being bad at dealing with people compared to machines are Artemis Fowl and Wade from Kim Possible.

Fowl constantly fucks up because he’s a kid getting into situations that he shouldn’t, though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

Fowl constantly fucks up because he’s a kid getting into situations that he shouldn’t, though

Classic YA novel situations am I right? At least for the early books, most of his problems were someone coming and picking a fight with him though. It's not like Dexter's Lab or Jimmy Neutron where they make a new ray gun and it blows up his house/terrorizes the entire town for a week.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Bofoi deez nuts.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

RareAcumen posted:

Classic YA novel situations am I right? At least for the early books, most of his problems were someone coming and picking a fight with him though. It's not like Dexter's Lab or Jimmy Neutron where they make a new ray gun and it blows up his house/terrorizes the entire town for a week.

Are we remembering the same Artemis Fowl? He literally kidnaps a fairy, its not like the fairies themselves wanted to mess with him

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Bofoi deez nuts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

RareAcumen posted:

Artemis Fowl is literally a criminal genius, and from that perspective he constantly makes mistakes due to emotional attachment to his parents. But also it could be argued that being a criminal genius is a moral failing (a statement he later would agree with as he grows older).

Gologle posted:

Are we remembering the same Artemis Fowl? He literally kidnaps a fairy, its not like the fairies themselves wanted to mess with him

Also this, the first three books are all Artemis Fowl loving with other people and finding out (and in turn them finding out when attempting to gently caress with him).

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Runa posted:

Also, just because you're smart doesn't mean you can't also be the most oblivious and idiotic moron on the face of the earth.

See: the goon who didn't think hieroglyphs were a real writing system for conveying language. (Or rather, did not think they were a real language, because he, as a professional STEMlord, did not realize "writing system" and "language" were actually two distinct concepts.)

Oh god I remember that guy. That entire argument was so idiotic

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gologle posted:

Yeah that one was entirely his fault, he instigated the events of the first book. But I'm not really sure how to count that one, because that's what the series is about.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Artemis Fowl is literally a criminal genius, and from that perspective he constantly makes mistakes due to emotional attachment to his parents. But also it could be argued that being a criminal genius is a moral failing (a statement he later would agree with as he grows older).

Also this, the first three books are all Artemis Fowl loving with other people and finding out (and in turn them finding out when attempting to gently caress with him).

I'll admit that I don't remember the plot of the entire series off the back of my hand, but I thought the next books were him being reactive instead of proactive as people show up trying to steal something from him. That and I'm grading this on the curve of 'none of his plans backfire quite as bad as any cartoon child genius' do' so it's a high curve anyway.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lord_Magmar posted:

Wait I know the first was cause he kidnapped Holly and the second was cause he hosed around with an old businessman, but was the second his fault too?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Let me remember, it's been a long time, the third is when he goes to the demon world and because of the time difference its been several years in the human world when he returns, which for him was like maybe a day, right? Or was the third the crazy science genius fairy who got really butthurt about being outsmarted by him so she blew up the commander fairy?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

Let me remember, it's been a long time, the third is when he goes to the demon world and because of the time difference its been several years in the human world when he returns, which for him was like maybe a day, right? Or was the third the crazy science genius fairy who got really butthurt about being outsmarted by him so she blew up the commander fairy?

No.

First is Artemis capturing Holly and waging war with the Fairy Police.

Second is (had to check Wiki) Aretmis finding out his dad is alive, while Holly and her team find out there's a secret coup going on by Opal Koboi (who keeps loving appearing) and some other dude. Artemis only gets roped in cause they think he might be responsible (he isn't). He agrees to help them in exchange for them helping him getting his dad back.

Third is Aretmis trying to barter with an old businessman by threatening to release fairy tech, and trying to blackmail him by saying he'll delay using this new fancy tech in exchange for money. Businessman shoots tries to kill Artemis and steals the Cube, so Artemis has to reach out to the Fairies and admit that he was trying to profit off their tech. Also Butler nearly dies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After that it's sort of a blur cause Opal keeps popping up as the villain and there are even multiple timeline versions of Opal and she's just a really boring villain and she keeps coming back.

There's a coup by Opal, there's the time a rich girl (Artemis's love interest who exists for a single volume before getting a boyfriend) captures a goblin and it leads to this whole visit to the goblin realm, there's a time travel one where the villain is Opal (and now we have 2 Opals running around), and then there's Root's brother trying to destroy the fairies, and then there's the final volume I never read but I'm sure Opal's the final boss again.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I remember when Butler fought a troll and that was hype as hell.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Devils Affricate posted:

Given Child Emperor's strong moral convictions, I've always been a bit confused by how he threw in with Bofoi for so long. Obviously he's an important source of information, and an extremely capable fellow scientist/engineer, but he's clearly a bad actor and untrustworthy. Even if CE just now found out about his involvement in the Hero Association's corruption, Bofoi was still borderline villainous with how negligently and selfishly he handled past threats that required the involvement of multiple S class heroes.

i mean bofoi didn't really do anything "wrong" persay

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Gologle posted:

I remember when Butler fought a troll and that was hype as hell.

10 year old me hollered when he grabbed the mace from the armor display

Artemis Fowl dwarves were weird and got weirder every book

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Honestly I completely forgot about Butler fighting a troll, even as I read the words on the Wiki summary, until you mentioned the armor and mace.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

What has bofoi done that is wrong. Let's see. He sent a very powerful robot to try and destroy that meteor. He rebuilt a city to be a bastion and safe zone, he built a bunch of robots to safeguard the city

Oh yeah, some shady robot guy badmouthed him. That's about it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Terror Sweat posted:

What has bofoi done that is wrong. Let's see. He sent a very powerful robot to try and destroy that meteor. He rebuilt a city to be a bastion and safe zone, he built a bunch of robots to safeguard the city

Had the word “Virgin” as a lab assistant

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Bofoi is basically a cop in that he shows up to poo poo too late to do anything, and when he does show up on time, he either does nothing or makes things worse. And then to mediate the stuff that he didn't bother trying to prevent, he made a big walled city that he has personal control over a lot of and is using to pump investors for money for his walled city project. And he does this all away from anyone who could confirm what he's doing.

He's not necessarily a bad guy, but he ain't a hero.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

rebuilt a city with a bunch of monsters underneath presumably being used for a gambling ring

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Terror Sweat posted:

okay but the shady robot guy looked very cool

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

After that it's sort of a blur cause Opal keeps popping up as the villain and there are even multiple timeline versions of Opal and she's just a really boring villain and she keeps coming back.

There's a coup by Opal, there's the time a rich girl (Artemis's love interest who exists for a single volume before getting a boyfriend) captures a goblin and it leads to this whole visit to the goblin realm, there's a time travel one where the villain is Opal (and now we have 2 Opals running around), and then there's Root's brother trying to destroy the fairies, and then there's the final volume I never read but I'm sure Opal's the final boss again.

Opal is the villain of all the even numbered books.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MonsterEnvy posted:

Opal is the villain of all the even numbered books.

That's fuckin' blowing my mind.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

SpacePig posted:

Bofoi is basically a cop in that he shows up to poo poo too late to do anything, and when he does show up on time, he either does nothing or makes things worse. And then to mediate the stuff that he didn't bother trying to prevent, he made a big walled city that he has personal control over a lot of and is using to pump investors for money for his walled city project. And he does this all away from anyone who could confirm what he's doing.

He's not necessarily a bad guy, but he ain't a hero.

Dr Bofoi is the policeman that comes when a man has broken into your house at two in the morning and won't leave. The man tells Bofoi he is a tenant, as he stands on broken glass next to the shattered window he used to get in.

"This is a civil issue, you'll need to start the eviction process" Bofoi says, turning around and leaving. Before he goes, he grabs the bowl full of spare change as "payment".

Later on a bald man beats up the trespasser and throws him into the street, because the trespasser kept yelling and threatening the neighborhood kids walking by your house.

Bofoi comes by again and imprisons the trespasser, except he never tells the courts about this and uses the criminal in an organized hobo fighting ring.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
So is Viz trying to play up how silly this is by picking too extreme of a word, or did they gently caress up a joke that fan scans managed to do better?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sometimes I think translators read the fan scans beforehand and go out of their way to change up the word choices to seem distinct, usually with worse results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that's a villain name, how weird. Wild Emperor is WAY better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's a villain name, how weird. Wild Emperor is WAY better.

It even rhymes with Child! It's good!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I don't usually bat for scanlations, but it's almost 100% of the time that the fan groups come up with a better localized name than the official release here. Like how Common Rider is just a better name by all metrics than Mumen Rider.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
What kinda sucks is that the Mumen Rider and Amai Mask thing is usually a scanlation thing where dipshits won't translate something to "preserve the integrity of the original Japanese" or some poo poo. Proper localization should be the thing coming up with stuff Wild Emperor for their target audience.

I also think sometimes they forget this is supposed to be a gag manga.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MorningMoon posted:

I don't usually bat for scanlations, but it's almost 100% of the time that the fan groups come up with a better localized name than the official release here. Like how Common Rider is just a better name by all metrics than Mumen Rider.

Im pretty sure Common Rider (goated, btw) is just something threadgoers came up with and it’s just Licenseless Rider in the scanlations. But yeah, OPM is the one series where I read my official translated volumes and pretty much always thought “man, this is kinda mid compared to the scanlation”.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Shugojin posted:

It even rhymes with Child! It's good!

And how is it going to work later when he realizes it was foolish to care so much about his image and grows up in the process, becoming Mild Emperor?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Has anything happened yet or has it been two more years of nothing but redraws

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Flesnolk posted:

Has anything happened yet or has it been two more years of nothing but redraws

Garou/Monster association arc is over, stuff has happened since then but nothing major.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I’m happy the arc is over at least, probably time to catch up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Larry Cum Free posted:

And how is it going to work later when he realizes it was foolish to care so much about his image and grows up in the process, becoming Mild Emperor?

Or decides the new organization is as corrupt as the old and strikes out on his own as Wild Vagrant.