Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

JT Jag posted:

friend I saw how the soul got ripped out of you guys' bodies in the regular season finale last year, this no longer works

Buddy we were playing josh dobbs as qb and you just brought that game up unprovoked while looking at our training camp ooo free rent is nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i have no idea how the other teams are doing in training camp

but i did see cj stroud go 2/4 for 13 yards and an INT tonight

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Remember that few year period where the titans were #1 in red zone offense, good times..

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Bust

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i would not be opposed to the Tits signing another OLman or two

spears looked real good. willis is twice the player he was last year. levis looked competent a lot of the time but sheesh that last pass. was that tipped or did he just really float that right to the DB

whyle needs some development too.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I’m not desperate enough to watch preseason footballl but I’m glad Malik looked better

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

i would not be opposed to the Tits signing another OLman or two

spears looked real good. willis is twice the player he was last year. levis looked competent a lot of the time but sheesh that last pass. was that tipped or did he just really float that right to the DB

whyle needs some development too.

Did the 8 sacks look as bad as it reads

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Metapod posted:

Did the 8 sacks look as bad as it reads

yeah that second string OL is useless

NPF played second string today so that doesnt bode well for week 7 and beyond

first line did well tho!

they really ought to try to get some more depth there. i know they need to save some cap for injuries but sheesh.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
mate, it's the preseason

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

mate, it's the preseason
yeah I know it says it right on there

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the texans margin of victory was greater so they should be in first place

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
big jeff

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Why are the Colts naming Richardson the starter after his first preseason game was 67 yards and a turnover?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Probably Magic posted:

Why are the Colts naming Richardson the starter after his first preseason game was 67 yards and a turnover?
Because they know the ol' Minshew Magic will make their drafting look bad if they give him an opening

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Because they're getting him what he needs to develop and that's playing time

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Probably Magic posted:

because if you start Minshew you're still just gonna finish middle of the pack, so why not let the young draft pick just go out there and learn?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It's a nice change of pace for them to admit they're punting on the year

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chris James 2 posted:

It's a nice change of pace for them to admit they're punting on the year

I mean, they'll probably still finish second in the division.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm totally fine with tanking the year so we can draft Marvin Harrison Jr. next year.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I appreciate the Colts rolling the dice on the bad college qb transforming into NFL player gamble

You might get your shot in the dark and snag that Brady or Josh Allen but you're more than likely going to get a Jake Locker or at best a Ryan Tannehill

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
yeah but youre better off taking those shots than throwing out a known mediocrity for sure, so yes, the Colts are absolutely doing the right thing here

e: although the fact that Richardson himself says he was "shocked" instead of the boilerplate "I always knew I would win the job" does say something funny

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 16, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
worked for the chiefs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

worked for the chiefs

Mahomes was an incredible college qb so much so his play got kliff a nfl hc job

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

fast cars loose anus posted:

yeah but youre better off taking those shots than throwing out a known mediocrity for sure, so yes, the Colts are absolutely doing the right thing here

e: although the fact that Richardson himself says he was "shocked" instead of the boilerplate "I always knew I would win the job" does say something funny

Nah, by all accounts he's actually very humble and hard working and didn't assume he'd be the starter. So I think that's a normal reaction since he seems well aware that he's still got to improve his game.

I think he'll end up being a great pick, but nobody is fooling themselves into thinking this first year is when it will happen. He's gonna have ups and downs and probably more bad than good but he's got to play and get the experience.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Nah, by all accounts he's actually very humble and hard working and didn't assume he'd be the starter. So I think that's a normal reaction since he seems well aware that he's still got to improve his game.

I think he'll end up being a great pick, but nobody is fooling themselves into thinking this first year is when it will happen. He's gonna have ups and downs and probably more bad than good but he's got to play and get the experience.

Fair enough. I dont wish any ill on him except as far as Id rather he not make a division rival good

Intruder posted:

worked for the chiefs

Bills would be the better comparison here

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't watch a ton of NCAA football but I don't get the glowing optimism for Richardson beyond his athleticism. I watched a few Florida games of his and he was loving awful. First person I thought of us for a comparable upside was Kordell Stewart. I get not bothering with Minshew but not why AR was taken so high.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Josh Allen happened.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't watch a ton of NCAA football but I don't get the glowing optimism for Richardson beyond his athleticism. I watched a few Florida games of his and he was loving awful. First person I thought of us for a comparable upside was Kordell Stewart. I get not bothering with Minshew but not why AR was taken so high.

It's because of his athleticism mostly. Nobody has what he has when it comes to that. Size, arm strength, speed... if he can get coached up and put everything together then he's pretty much thing to be unstoppable.

So it comes down to believing if he can get the right coaching and experience and if that will file off the rough edges.

He's a hard worker so at least you know if he fails it's not because he's lazy or anything. It's a gamble and it'll probably be a year or two before you find out if it was worth it or not, but the Colts have been on the QB carousel ever since Luck retired so they need to take the shot.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

He also had great feel in the pocket, and didn't just immediately bolt from the pocket when some pressure came. He has accuracy issues, and his Florida weapons/scheme didn't do him a ton of favors. I think the biggest concerns coming out was processing and accuracy, but I think he's done fine in processing. He breaks down when the play does and loses his technique and sprays the ball a bit. If they can shore that up a bit (I'm not sure you'll ever eliminate it entirely, even Josh Allen sprays one on the move from time to time), he's a mid tier QB with insane upside. Also: no other QB available to the Colts in this draft offers what he does. Levis and Richardson were often considered pretty equal (good athletes with accuracy issues, some meh production in college). Richardson is just more athletic that Levis. So if you're gonna gamble, gamble on the supercharged version.

Another item: he was the youngest QB in this draft. He turned 21 in May. Stroud and Young were slightly older, and Levis is older than Trevor Lawrence (24). So you have to realize that in 3 years of development, you'll be at the same age that Levis is now.

EvilBeard fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 16, 2023

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I don’t know what the colts schedule is like but they might as well start him, their line isn’t bad enough to David carr him. I don’t see it working out but who knows?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If only his wrs helped him out https://youtu.be/tUumLCyjdpQ

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Richardson’s biggest concerns coming out of college were: had exactly one speed for every pass; inaccurate and inconsistent; frequently dealt with nagging injuries; not as much of a rushing threat as you’d expect given his athleticism; couldn’t get on the field even when Dan Mullen was his coach despite being the sort of QB that Mullen should love; had the best coaching available through high school and into college and still looked incredibly raw; not good at football

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

Probably Magic posted:

If the Richardson we saw for 1 quarter against the Bills is his "worst" then he should start because he is better than any other QB on the roster. If that is the Richardson the Colts get, he's better than any QB the Colts have had since Luck with the exception of old man Rivers, even with the flaws. It's pretty obvious why he was drafted high if you watch every snap from that game. The statline is literally the worst possible scenario with zero context. His two best plays did not even count.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah he threw a dime on a long pass that should have been a TD but it was dropped.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Treylon burks got carted off at practice today. Rip

Of course florio was wrong. He walked off. Hope it’s not too serious

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
He probably pulled his hamstring again

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Here's the play https://twitter.com/LGlodek/status/1691875299586134266?s=20

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

the division's back on the menu, boys
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1691942902362931638?t=robPJZC73AV6PhoT4quM1w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Well, all that may be true of AR but what I saw of him looked like poo poo. Maybe they can carve him into something ala Fosh Allen or he becomes Cam Newton+ but I'm on record right now predicting he's gonna suck.

Regardless, as a Jags fan, I'm elated to see him starting in week 1

:getin: