Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

A little too much stuff just happening for no reason in Cobweb, but it was... average, I guess? I've seen worse. Caplan and Starr are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

After watching In the Mouth of Madness—what are some of the best executions of the Hobb's End style small sleepy spooky quaint King style town? I've already got Salem's Lot on the list.

Start here I guess?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, yeah, but I was hoping y'all could cut it down for me a bit. And most King stuff I've watched doesn't have the town and spooky vibe of it as all that prominent.

Does Castle Rock channel that vibe well?

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Has anyone else seen the David Arquette 2006 slasher the Tripper?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Please tell me it's about a goofy serial killer that goes around tripping people.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, yeah, but I was hoping y'all could cut it down for me a bit. And most King stuff I've watched doesn't have the town and spooky vibe of it as all that prominent.

Does Castle Rock channel that vibe well?

Oh for sure, season 2 is pretty divisive but I enjoyed it all the way through.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please tell me it's about a goofy serial killer that goes around tripping people.

it's actually about an Evil Ronald Reagan (well, more evil), aka The Gipper

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

feedmyleg posted:

After watching In the Mouth of Madness—what are some of the best executions of the Hobb's End style small sleepy spooky quaint King style town? I've already got Salem's Lot on the list.

Dead & Buried is great for this as is Messiah of Evil.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2023

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is goofy but the title is a play on the Gipper like Shrecknet says and the other kind of tripping, because evil Reagan goes around chopping up hippies with an axe. David Arquette has political opinions. Its a very sincere film and its not all bad, some people on Letterboxd complained that it was badly lit but I disagree, some shots are actually really pretty interesting. I cant really recommend it but I did watch it all the way through and I cant say the same about like, half the Hellraiser or Friday the 13th movies. Thomas Jane is kinda fun in it I guess.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the tipper but I remember nothing about it.

I miss blockbuster, renting new horror like that. It’s how I saw that godawful asylum war of the worlds with c Thomas Howell

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just watched Quentin Dupieux’s new film Smoking Causes Coughing, and while it’s not a horror movie I’d say it’s sort of horror-adjacent and I think it would be relevant to the interests of a lot of folks in this thread. Like Rubber (his killer tire movie) it’s an absurdist comedy with a dark sense of humor, and most importantly it has a lot of goopy practical effects including literal buckets of blood and gore. Plus Power Rangers-style superheroes and monsters that are dudes in big rubber suits. It’s not a masterpiece or anything but it’s a weird and fun watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dupieux rules, I need to check this out. I loved Rubber obviously, and Deerskin is also pretty great; if you haven't seen that definitely fix it, Jean Dujardin gets a jacket he likes

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Chris James 2 posted:

Dupieux rules, I need to check this out. I loved Rubber obviously, and Deerskin is also pretty great; if you haven't seen that definitely fix it, Jean Dujardin gets a jacket he likes

Jean Dujardin is the absolute king of a very specific kind of comedy acting and I love him.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Jean Dujardin is the absolute king of a very specific kind of comedy acting and I love him.

Dujardin is loving great. His movie OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies is free on Tubi, and it rules.

PKMN Trainer Red fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 12, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Dujardin is loving great. His movie OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies is free on Tube, and it rules.

One of my favorite movies. Every single scene is a masterpiece.

Like when they try to do the pan-away fade-to-black sex scene, but the camera points at the mirror so you can see them awkwardly grope-humping and the camera pans away suddenly. Or every single time he says some terrible colonial poo poo and everyone just gets really awkward and hates him.

The sequel in Rio is also great, just it can’t quite get back to that high water mark.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Smoking Causes Coughing, much like Rubber, is a movie that took a few days to sink in but really affected me. Mostly the wood chipper story, I keep thinking about it. It's basically a Tales From The Crypt style thing with some genuinely great tokusatsu interludes and a fantastic ending. I like it about as much as Rubber but for different reasons.

I tried to watch The Tripper pretty recently but couldn't find it. I should try again.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

feedmyleg posted:

Dead and Buried
Messiah of Evil
Dagon
The Wolf of Snow Hollow
Sleepy Hollow
The Dead Don't Die
Phantoms
Village of the Damned (Both)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wicker Man

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Ooh Dead and Buried looks perfect for tonight. Thanks! Maybe Dagon too if I wanna double feature it. I think I'm gonna try to knock all those I haven't seen off my list this year. Except maybe Dead Don't Die, that trailer was an anathema to me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well gently caress I had ADD for movies today. Watched They Cloned Tyrone and then can't decide what to watch now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Watch nothing

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dead & Buried is a blast, it's like if an angry mob was a slasher villain.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have a $10 Temu Lament Configuration and for the price it’s perfectly fine. I’d bet a whole bunch on Etsy will just be the exact same thing at a huge markup. Obviously proper handmade ones are way cooler, but if you want a cheap trinket then a crappy Chinese one shouldn’t disappoint. It has two display patterns and a little stand to put it on, and is heavier than I was expecting it to be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Brain Damage makes a lot of sense when you learn that Henenlotter quit cocaine before filming it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

it's weird to plug him because i don't normally love his stuff, but Flanagan's MIDNIGHT MASS does a great job of this. easily my favorite ending of his miniseries as well

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Honestly learning that Henenlotter used a bunch of cocaine when he was making Basket Case makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Which big name horror director would do the best job remaking The Taint for a theatrical release?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

it's weird to plug him because i don't normally love his stuff, but Flanagan's MIDNIGHT MASS does a great job of this. easily my favorite ending of his miniseries as well

Yes! All the more so because the story takes place on an island.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Cobweb was cool but had a non-ending.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did anyone see Meg 2? Seems to have had no response at all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah because it’s crap

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

alf_pogs posted:

Midnight Mass really does feel like the culmination of Flan’s King cover band format in the best way possible

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Opopanax posted:

Did anyone see Meg 2? Seems to have had no response at all

I did. It sure is Meg 2. You know exactly what to expect from it, and it will give you exactly that and not a penny more.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I have a $10 Temu Lament Configuration and for the price it’s perfectly fine. I’d bet a whole bunch on Etsy will just be the exact same thing at a huge markup. Obviously proper handmade ones are way cooler, but if you want a cheap trinket then a crappy Chinese one shouldn’t disappoint. It has two display patterns and a little stand to put it on, and is heavier than I was expecting it to be.

There was this guy on the B train years ago when I lived in Brooklyn, and I think he was trying to pick up women with his Sick Rubix Skillz. He was this little goonie nebish of a guy, and he was clearly commuting to/from some absolutely soul-crushing entry level job : tie like it was stapled on for first communion, acne, kicked-puppy expression on his face and on the lanyard around his neck. But he had a Rubix cube, and he’d scramble up and solve it over and over. After each time he’d shift so he would be in the sight line of a different woman, round and round. He never would actually say anything, but he’d always check their faces after he solved it just in case they’d be impressed.

Over the course of my summer living off the B, he started trying different things to see if they worked, but nothing so spicy as to not be a god drat rotating geometric puzzle. He would just get bigger and weirder ones. Cubes that were 4x4, 5x5, 6x6! Other weird shapes, ranging through the other platonic solids (pyramids, octahedron, dodecahedron, etc.) and out to weird spirals and things that looked like chemistry demonstrations. He was universally ignored outside of the occasional pleading smile, begging him to stop.

What I’m getting at is I really wish I’d had a replica of the Lament Configuration to give to that cat about 9 years ago. Or a real one, now that I think of it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah because it’s crap

Well yeah, but good crap or bad crap?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I did. It sure is Meg 2. You know exactly what to expect from it, and it will give you exactly that and not a penny more.

With this review I say it’s bad crap. The first one was boring.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Enys Men got added to Hulu recently. very obtuse, maybe to the point of being slightly frustrating, but the vibes of it all make me give it my recommendation for those who live very arty horror.

Last Voyage of the Demeter was... eh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Went and saw Talk to Me and loved it, what great direction and sound, even if the plot has been done before.

Though I kept imagining an alternate version where They have absolute proof of the afterlife that is instantly provable. I'm picturing a version where after the kid gets to the hospital they take the hand to the police, show them that it works and then put together a crack team of experts to theorize possible solutions to save the kid.

"I didn't do anything!"
"Sure you didn't"
"No, seriously, hold this for a second"
"Oh holy poo poo you weren't lying, let's get on this!"

Edit - It was great, people actually left the theater I was in, and got an annoyed sigh from someone next to me because I was laughing so hard at "the big scene"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The movie theater down the street is really invested in Barbieheimer right now and not showing any of the horror movies that have come out. Which yeah okay I get it but drat I wanna see Last Voyage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think I’ve loved a single thing the voyage director did. Autopsy of Jane doe was half good, scary stories was a quarter good. So idk. Not remotely excited about it at all. I’ll catch it on streaming