Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mycot posted:

I unironically think some games are more addictive than they are fun. The "I can stop any time I want" of video games.
I think this is absolutely true, and also personally I sometimes find that after playing for a certain amount of time, games can switch from being fun to just being addictive. This is the main reason I don't worry about whether I finish games these days, because if I feel like they have stopped being actually fun I'll just stop playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

happyhippy posted:

I would say Blizzard has gained a dedicated hater group that no other gaming company has to date.
Sure they deserve a lot for past crap they have done, and sure other companies have their hate groups like EA or Konami or 343/Bungie.
But I don't see constant videos complaining about every game or patch release from EA or such,
Hating on Blizzard gets clicks, so you get streamers making videos every time they fart.
Their decline has been rather precipitous ever since Warcraft 3 Remastered or thereabouts, and with all of the sexual harassment coverups and hostile workplace allegations and overall mismanagement (like Kotick personally sabotaging Overwatch 2 development) make it impossible for anyone to really defend them. In fact I'd say most of their fanbase has turned on them.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

mycot posted:

I unironically think some games are more addictive than they are fun. The "I can stop any time I want" of video games.

This is why I uninstalled Melvor Idle after playing it for 4 hours and still having fun. I could see where it was going and I don't need to be obsessing over numbers going up long after the novelty has worn off.

Assepoester posted:

Their decline has been rather precipitous ever since Warcraft 3 Remastered or thereabouts, and with all of the sexual harassment coverups and hostile workplace allegations and overall mismanagement (like Kotick personally sabotaging Overwatch 2 development) make it impossible for anyone to really defend them. In fact I'd say most of their fanbase has turned on them.

I felt Blizzard was changed after playing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Those games just felt off to me, not quite the Blizzard I knew. Like fan fiction.

Phigs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 13, 2023

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

happyhippy posted:

I would say Blizzard has gained a dedicated hater group that no other gaming company has to date.
Sure they deserve a lot for past crap they have done, and sure other companies have their hate groups like EA or Konami or 343/Bungie.
But I don't see constant videos complaining about every game or patch release from EA or such,
Hating on Blizzard gets clicks, so you get streamers making videos every time they fart.

Neither EA, Konami, nor Bungie had the level of fan devotion Blizzard did. And, well:

Heav'n has no rage, like love to hatred turn'd.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

mycot posted:

At risk of being redundant, just take a look at the Diablo 4 thread, where everyone hates the game, everyone else in the thread, and themselves for playing it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Remember when game reviews would regularly use "addictive" as a positive descriptor

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Unlucky7 posted:

At risk of being redundant, just take a look at the Diablo 4 thread, where everyone hates the game, everyone else in the thread, and themselves for playing it.

Mid + addictive is a powerful concoction that really seems to lure in the worst posters

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

John Murdoch posted:

Remember when game reviews would regularly use "addictive" as a positive descriptor

gamers used to be the humble porters who chewed coca leaves to keep the edge off during long workdays
then the bean counters came in and did all the studies and math to figure out how to optimally extract those leaves' active compounds

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

gamers used to be the humble porters who chewed coca leaves to keep the edge off during long workdays
then the bean counters came in and did all the studies and math to figure out how to optimally extract those leaves' active compounds

Holy poo poo, that’s a great analogy.

The weed my folks smoked in the 60s (illegally) is nothing like the weed my kid smokes in the 20s (legally).

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Leal posted:

*looks nervously over at the Diablo 4 thread*

the game is mid but the thread is top tier.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mycot posted:

Blizzard is extremely deep in this, at a level only rivaled by big mobile game studios. It's the root of their "We know what you want better than you do" type commentary - ever since sometime fairly early in World of Warcraft they've been designing their games to be addictive rather than to be fun (fun sometimes comes as a side-effect). They really do know what their playerbase "wants" better than the players do and that's because they've sold their playerbase a bunch of addiction triggers that are consistent from Blizzard game to Blizzard game throughout the course of ~20 years and several games. They know that the playerbase wants that sweet dopamine drip above all else and they've put a lot of research into exactly how to dole it out.

There are some things Blizzard is famous for when it comes to game design. When WoW was massively successful a lot of the industry looked at Blizzard and what Blizzard was saying was "good game design" and copied it. That's where the standardized loot colors of green/blue/yellow/purple/orange come from, and a lot of players now subconsciously associate getting rewards of those colors with a specific feeling that accompanies them. Blizzard famously discussed their approach to drop rarity (I think around the time D3 came out) and how you needed to make most of the drops players get boring and unexciting garbage so that the good drops feel "meaningful" which is a blatant addiction tactic, and they've discussed how they pace those good drops out so that they tend to show up right around the time a player will quit playing, which spurns them on to play more.

Their games are absolutely designed as addiction mechanisms first and foremost (not to say that the 'game' part doesn't exist) and there's a reason that people who play those types of games (both Blizzard games and other GaaS games that have followed the same addiction cycle that Blizzard laid out, like Destiny 2) tend to not only have a lot of crossover with people who play other games of that type while often avoiding other types of games, but also tend to actively hate the thing they're playing a lot of the time. Because this has been going on long enough that there's no real way to please a lot of those addicts anymore, they've built up enough tolerance to the addiction cycle that it's difficult or impossible for them to get the same "high" they used to, but they largely don't recognize it as an effect of the game so they keep playing more and more trying to feel fulfilled, and they keep getting angry at it because it's not satisfying them the way that it used to.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Aug 13, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Rinkles posted:

What's the easiest way to find a screenshot folder Steam seems to have lost track of? Game is Grim Dawn if that helps. I'm guessing maybe this is related to me uninstalling it before the Steam UI change?

Aren't those steam-cloud synced nowadays? Anyway:

The brute force method would be to use desktop mode and the file search integrated into the file manager, or even Kfind. Search for folders named "screenshots" in your home and/or your library folders (or just search /), and it'll list all of them.

The absolute brutest force method is to just search for all files that are named in the format of Steam's screenshots anywhere in the file system, but you won't find many GUI programs that can do a proper regex search, so: find / -type f -regextype posix-extended -regex '.*/[0-9]{14}_[0-9]+\.jpg$' 2>/dev/null

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Antigravitas posted:

Aren't those steam-cloud synced nowadays?

Nope. Local only unless you upload it to your account for people to see. Still applies as of now after a quick check between laptop and desktop.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Antigravitas posted:

Aren't those steam-cloud synced nowadays?

No, you need to manually enable that and I think it’s per picture not per game.

Antigravitas posted:

Anyway:

The brute force method would be to use desktop mode and the file search integrated into the file manager, or even Kfind. Search for folders named "screenshots" in your home and/or your library folders (or just search /), and it'll list all of them.

The absolute brutest force method is to just search for all files that are named in the format of Steam's screenshots anywhere in the file system, but you won't find many GUI programs that can do a proper regex search, so: find / -type f -regextype posix-extended -regex '.*/[0-9]{14}_[0-9]+\.jpg$' 2>/dev/null

Thanks but this is on pc, not the Steam deck. I’m pretty sure the folder is still in the Steam screenshots directory, it’s just that I don’t want to go through them all one by one.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Oh, I see. I haven't used the Steam screenshots in ages because I was taking screenshots I didn't want.

Also, woops, I thought I was in the Deck thread. That said, you can use Windows file search for screenshot folders if you are desperate (Or Everything Search, which can use regex!)

e: Grim Dawn's appid is 219990, so you can search for that as well. Steam screenshots are in a subfolder of a folder named 219990

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Rinkles posted:

No, you need to manually enable that and I think it’s per picture not per game.

Thanks but this is on pc, not the Steam deck. I’m pretty sure the folder is still in the Steam screenshots directory, it’s just that I don’t want to go through them all one by one.

If you open up the main Steam screenshots directory each folder represents a game, and it goes by the game's ID number. Grim Dawn is 219990, is there a folder with that ID in there?

edit: ^^ beaten, but yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I tried that number yesterday, but couldn't find a screenshot folder. Today I reinstalled the game, took a screenshot, and Steam generated the folder. I have no idea what happened to the old one.

Even if the game was previously installed on another drive, that old folder should still be there. I searched all the drives, so it's not a question of looking in the wrong place. I'm stumped.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Sorry, I think this is my fault. An oversight when migrating drives.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can use that find command on the drive you migrated off of!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

...it's been wiped

:negative:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Turbo Overkill has a sniper rifle with a telefrag function

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Phigs posted:

I felt Blizzard was changed after playing Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. Those games just felt off to me, not quite the Blizzard I knew. Like fan fiction.

Diablo 4 is my biggest gaming purchase regret of the year.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I've never played any Diablo game, but I've tried a few Diablo-likes (not sure what the term is for these; stuff like Torchlight) and kinda just bounced off 'em.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
ARPGs - Action RPGs. Or if you go farther back, hack and slash. But like most genre terms someone will be along shortly to say that's stupid and doesn't count as the real term.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Brotato is the best ARPG released in recent memory. maybe memory period.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

I've never played any Diablo game, but I've tried a few Diablo-likes (not sure what the term is for these; stuff like Torchlight) and kinda just bounced off 'em.

Diappelgangers

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i didnt like a lot of the prerelease poo poo i saw about d4 so i was waiting to see how it panned out before buying. now im just laughing at what seems to have turned into a goddamn tire fire.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first diablo was one of the only pc games my family's ancient dell could run and i loved it for that alone

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I honestly enjoyed the story in D4 pretty well and liked playing it til the end but also I felt no desire to keep playing after that or come back when the season started. With POE 2 not coming til at least next year I'll probably just replay Titan Quest and Diablo 2 remastered some and maybe try Grim Dawn.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I loved Diablo 1 & 2 back in the day, but I honestly bounced off every single one since then, with the sole of exception of the Van Helsing games. Probably because I am dumb about the aesthetic and they were just "go through the campaign and done" for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oxxidation posted:

the first diablo was one of the only pc games my family's ancient dell could run and i loved it for that alone

If you didn't try to get all manners of games running on an ancient family dell, did you really grow up in the 90's?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Awesome! posted:

i didnt like a lot of the prerelease poo poo i saw about d4 so i was waiting to see how it panned out before buying. now im just laughing at what seems to have turned into a goddamn tire fire.

It's a surprisingly good campaign, at least for an ARPG, but everything else is mediocre at best.

I was intrigued by the slower pace and Dash button and powerful debuffs in the open beta, but then you realize it's not actually like a "technical" game to play, you just keep Vulnerable up 100% of the time or you're an idiot.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah basically everyone I know, myself included, who played Diablo 4 played the campaign, saw the rest of the game and was like "ehhhh" and haven't touched it since.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

That's one of the secret strengths of Blizzard, or used to be.
Most new games needed the latest $300 card or $2000 rig to enjoy it at full intended graphics.
Then they complained about piss poor sales not realizing only a tenth of those that wanted to play it could.
Blizzard made most its games for potato set ups, holding off upgrading WoW until it was really really necessary.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah basically everyone I know, myself included, who played Diablo 4 played the campaign, saw the rest of the game and was like "ehhhh" and haven't touched it since.

As with most games.
I think they do a Diablo 3 on it and after a few seasons and milking as much out of it, will make leveling to max take an hour or two, and a resurgence will happen like with D3.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I didn’t even think the campaign was that great to be honest. The whole open world with other people around thing just seems pointless to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I think the open world is basically 4's original sin that's baked in deeply enough that fixing the game is going to be really difficult. Obviously they can improve it, and it's not like the game is unsalvageable garbage or anything, but I think it was a mistake that they're going to be stuck with for the life of the game now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

But unlike D3, your level in D4 really doesn't come from leveling up a whole lot. You get all your skills and then you get gear. The problem is Blizzard is never going to implement a loot filter so you're going to be stuck wading through rares with poo poo affixes like Damage vs Close/Near enemies or Damage vs enemies High/Low on HP.

And the loving balls to implement +All Resistance as a possible affix on gear slots while not un-loving the math for Resistances is just the icing on the cake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I really thought that with the template of D3:RoS in their hands, D4 would be smooth sailing. Horse riding was an immediate red flag, but I assumed they knew what they were doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Despite somehow being a solid game in its own right after the Reaper of Souls expansion, D3 did not satisfy activision blizzard because they could not figure out how to fully monetize it as a GaaS.

Diablo 4 is their attempt to correct their perceived mistake.