Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

HD DAD posted:

Move Along Home is a delight and I will hear nothing less.

If that was a TOS episode with Harcourt Fenton Mudd or Cyrano Jones in Quark's place it would be a fan-favorite episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
third shap

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Goddamn, Geordi is creepy as gently caress with women sometimes. Jesus Christ, dude!

:yikes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Also,

DaveWoo posted:

DS9, and there are only a very small number of episodes I would recommend skipping. Even in Season 1 I can't think of any obvious clunkers.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I love a lot of season 1 and also think its underrated, but The Storyteller is pretty goddamn boring and I would argue the worst of the season. The b-plot is actually better than the a-plot, but not by much.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

No Dignity posted:

Gates McFadden really sells answering the door after having just got off too

I just watched "The Game" and she does practically the same thing when Wesley walks in on her playing the titular game. It's a unique skill but hey, actor's gotta act.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
....Bread?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Penitent posted:

It's really interesting how unprepared they appear to have been to write a show about a space station in fixed space given the number of "aliens of the week" that randomly came through the wormhole in the beginning of the show's run. You can see some ideas beginning to form though, the Hunters from Dramatis Personae were like some sort of proto Jem'Hadar.

IIRC, the original plan was that the Jem'hadar would be infantry only, and the Tosk Hunters would be brought back as the ones actually crewing Dominion ships.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

I just watched "The Game" and she does practically the same thing when Wesley walks in on her playing the titular game. It's a unique skill but hey, actor's gotta act.

*reads resumé* She tap dances, rides unicycle, and... um...

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Both the Kilngons and Romulans get called empires but do we ever see an emperor or empress? I can only remember chancellors and praetors.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Both the Kilngons and Romulans get called empires but do we ever see an emperor or empress? I can only remember chancellors and praetors.

The Roman empire was an empire without an emperor for long times, it's about how much territory they control, not a system of government.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

The Klingons didn't have an emperor for centuries until the clone of Kahless came along, and that role is strictly ceremonial and spiritual.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yeah. I’m pretty sure that for the Klingons, at least, the title was a hold over from before the great houses wrested control from the monarchy. Plus, names don’t matter even in real life. Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

DS9 goes into more detail about it. Especially the episode where Jadzia has to pass a bunch of tests in order to marry Worf. Like how the Klingons briefly experimented with democracy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Klingon government seems kinda like a medieval democracy. They didn't have big ideas of trying to build a consensus or mathematically determine what most people support. Instead the government is dominated by a bunch of powerful aristocrat families that the institutions of the government keeps in a kind of balance so that none of the families can take full hereditary control of the Empire like they could with the title of Emperor.

Installing Kahless's clone into some kind of spiritual emperor position with no real political power is like how Japan was for a while when they had a shogun who ruled politically and the Japanese emperor maintained spiritual importance. But it's not like the Klingons planned for that as part of their government. I doubt they'll value him enough to clone up another Kahless once he kicks the bucket.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

It would be reasonable that he might have been from the same original stock as the Jem'hadar, or had been a modified one.

IIRC the writers say that Tosk was created by the Dominion as a reward for the Hunters. It was a very deliberate connection (albiet not planned at the time of Tosk's introduction), the script for The Jem'Hadar calls out that it's the same shrouding effect as Tosk the first time we see the Jem'Hadar shroud.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

...! posted:

Goddamn, Geordi is creepy as gently caress with women sometimes. Jesus Christ, dude!

:yikes:

It sucks because LeVar Burton is such a great guy, but Geordi had some creepy incel moments over the course of the series.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

It sucks because LeVar Burton is such a great guy, but Geordi had some creepy incel moments over the course of the series.

I feel like they tried to appeal to introvert nerds, which is probably good, but we* as a society has done a lot of work since the 90s to realize how creepy behaviour works and what is definitely uncomfortable on the receiving end. Kinda like how TOS tried to do gender stuff, but it's not holding up.

*We meaning mostly men, and only the subset of men who are not shitheads.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, I was watching Galaxy's Child when I posted that. And watching how creepy he was with Leah all episode long reminded me of him being even creepier with the fake Leah he made in an earlier season. And he was pretty cringey with several of his unrequited crushes over the course of the show, who were quite creeped out by him themselves. Every time he would go to Guinan for advice it seemed like she was hinting really hard that his big problem was creeping women out.

If I had been LeVar, I would have demanded to know why they kept writing the character like that.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BonHair posted:

I feel like they tried to appeal to introvert nerds, which is probably good, but we* as a society has done a lot of work since the 90s to realize how creepy behaviour works and what is definitely uncomfortable on the receiving end. Kinda like how TOS tried to do gender stuff, but it's not holding up.

*We meaning mostly men, and only the subset of men who are not shitheads.

Their big appeal to introvert nerds was Wesley, who always got way too much screen time. Geordi was mostly a good character but Wesley was too much of a dweeb to ever be likable.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And it doesn't help that Wil Wheaton himself somehow seems even more insufferable than his character. Still. At 51 years old.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

...! posted:

And it doesn't help that Wil Wheaton himself somehow seems even more insufferable than his character. Still. At 51 years old.

He went full nerdlord. You never go full nerdlord.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

McSpanky posted:

He went full nerdlord. You never go full nerdlord.

His character in the Big Bang Theory didn't really help him, even though it was kind of funny to see him being the one to win Sheldon in their stupid games and grievances most of the time.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I'm over judging people for being cringe. He seems like a very nice guy and he's found a nice niche he's enthusiastic about.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Wil Wheaton voted for Fark in the ancient Fark vs SA photoshop content. gently caress him forever.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wil Wheaton voted for Fark in the ancient Fark vs SA photoshop content. gently caress him forever.

He's a dead man. A dead man!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

I love that when the Greatest Gen guys asked him about this, he said "BULLSHIT" loudly enough to clip his mic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CPColin posted:

I love that when the Greatest Gen guys asked him about this, he said "BULLSHIT" loudly enough to clip his mic

LeVar's a cool dude (not being sarcastic).

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

LeVar's a cool dude (not being sarcastic).

Yes, definitely. And he was the by far the best celebrity cameo in Community.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. I’m pretty sure that for the Klingons, at least, the title was a hold over from before the great houses wrested control from the monarchy. Plus, names don’t matter even in real life. Does anyone think North Korea is actually democratic, a republic, or even “of the people”?

Oh my god this is so not true. Names do matter, extremely a lot, and that's why people misapply them. Why do corporations spend billions on branding if names don't matter? As Terry Pratchett put it, "Magic is the invocation of names." The invocation and manipulation of the meanings and semiotic associations of names is the basis of the emerging field of cognitive warfare! The goal is to undermine the meaning of those words, to change what people think those words mean.

https://www.act.nato.int/article/cognitive-warfare-strengthening-and-defending-the-mind/

Marketing, religion, magic, cognitive warfare - they're all the same thing, but people react to them very differently depending on which name you try to use and what context you use it in. They all spread by unmooring symbols from their meaning in the mind of the audience and relinking or redefining them to a concept that is better aligned with the goals of the practitioner.

For an example of how this kills, you need look only as far as the original Nazi "blood libel" of the Jews or the way transgender folk are being painted as "groomers" by the modern version. Remember when Critical Race Theory became a hot-button issue overnight? That was the result of a thinktank rear end in a top hat using controlled media platforms to redefine CRT as something other than what it is.

https://twitter.com/realchrisrufo/status/1371540368714428416?s=20
https://www.newyorker.com/news/annals-of-inquiry/how-a-conservative-activist-invented-the-conflict-over-critical-race-theory

Names are powerful. Names are at the heart of everything. Names are one of the most powerful tools humanity has invented!

But every tool is also a weapon, and what you're looking at is the weaponization of names.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 13, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rumple fuckin stiltskin. Who is acting like names ain't important. Is their name Dummy?

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Der Kyhe posted:

Ooh, I dunno. As much as I love Levar I'd have to go with Luis Guzman. Donald Glover's yell-crying in that episode is an all-timer moment for sure though.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Khanstant posted:

Rumple fuckin stiltskin. Who is acting like names ain't important. Is their name Dummy?

extradimensional entities who should get a brane

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Kesper North posted:

extradimensional entities who should get a brane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pWSwfVDiq8

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
Speaking of NERDS, I just had time for one tonight and that one was Hollow Pursuits. Oh, BARCLAY. And yet again, oh, GEORDIE. I did enjoy Riker getting all pissy over his holodeck mini-counterpart. Less so when he starts shitlording Troi over hers. I notice there's a lot of episodes where the themes come in twos, this and Tin Man are basically "Hey, let's have it all be about a really awkward dude who doesn't get along with people."

Which, y'know, as a mildly socially anxious person, I can relate.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Der Kyhe posted:

100% agreed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhOG3XwX9Yw

Also, his podcast, LeVar Burton Reads, is awesome and does exactly what it says on the tin. He has great taste in lit and does such a good job with the readings. I wish he could narrate every single audiobook. :allears:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

^ That's probably how I'd react if LeVar Burton sat down next to me (maybe not the 'running away screaming' part).

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
"More fish for Kunta!"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That line destroyed me the first time :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Finishing up Season 1 of DS9 and goddamn is Duet still amazing. One of the best episodes of the series and they did it in the first season. Also Dukat makes only his second appearance of the series and he already feels fully formed. I like the description I read somewhere that Alaimo plays Dukat as if he thinks he's the lead character of the show.

And on the finale, man, Louise Fletcher was just so perfect as Winn. So incredibly detestable in a way that feels very true to life. The part where she's arguing with Keiko while patting herself on the back for being the better person feels so real.