Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aledesma
Jul 22, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll get one of those eventually lol. Supposedly Jotunn will also eventually handle unstoppables but I wouldn't bet on it

Oh neat, I'll have to try it later. I haven't actually swapped off Striker Titan all season lmao

Welcome brother. What exotics do you tend to use with Jotunn? I kind of just dick around with whatever and use it to spice the game up on top lol

For this season I am using Synthoceps, last season was Loreley Splendor.

I usually go with something that maps to the identity of the season, next season I’ll see what makes more sense according to the seasonal artifacts ( I expect Bungie to give us a lot mote Stasis stuff so might go with Path of Burning Steps)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol fun

I was using Citan's Ramparts for a bit on that IB game mode with the turrets with it. It's not actually all that good but it really pisses people off when you do it :v:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

aledesma posted:

Also why are titans the most heavily nerfed class?

Thanks for attending my TED talk.

because destiny's pvp design makes melee extremely powerful and because the class/ability designers lack imagination melee stuff is the majority of what titans have

there's a rock-paper-scissors sort of deal going on where certain classes/subclasses excel at certain situations but titans are going to excel at close combat 90% of the time so they tend to get hit with nerfs the most despite tending towards being weaker overall because it's fairly easy to get into close quarters to overcome their weaknesses

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 11, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think it's funny that the Titans, The Wall, The Line, etc., spend most of their time not planting their feet and holding ground and instead hauling rear end to punch someone or flying through the sky. The disconnect between what the story says they are and what they actually do is immense. Obviously that's because "don't move much" isn't very fun, but still

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2023

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think holding ground doesn't literally involve being stationary? Idk though I'm not a big shot army guy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Titans were not able to literally build a wall until D2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kecske posted:

I think holding ground doesn't literally involve being stationary? Idk though I'm not a big shot army guy

I mean a lot of the writing bits especially early is "I'm not going anywhere and you're going to break against me" and now I shoulder charge and superman away into the sky or someone's travellers

It doesn't matter at all I just think it's funny

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
We are talking about the class with Ward of Dawn, Sunspots, Bastion, Icefall Mantle, Hoarfrost and the only Aspect that inherently creates Woven Mail, to be fair.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Titans were not able to literally build a wall until D2

They did have Icarus Dash in d1 tho.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does this nightfall really have to spawn all the aspects AND unstoppable ogres AND super knights at the same time

God drat

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Does this nightfall really have to spawn all the aspects AND unstoppable ogres AND super knights at the same time

God drat

My main complaint is being the only one who ever brings appropriate champion counters.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

kecske posted:

Idk man I can drop a rally bastion wall and just go to town with The Business and the War Rig and hold the line for awhile and it rules and is fun

Weirdly specific case tho I know

business go brrr

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One day I'll get that catalyst. I can't be too mad though, I got all the others I've wanted this whole time

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

if it makes you feel any better the sweet business catalyst is basically worthless

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just want those sweet sweet orbs

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Bungie included all the subtitles for the remaining Veil Containments in this latest update and it confirms something stupid and that we've been guessing since Lightfall dropped - the Veil is the Dark Traveler

https://twitter.com/Bungie_Leaks/status/1690174313234604033?s=20

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

Bungie included all the subtitles for the remaining Veil Containments in this latest update and it confirms something stupid and that we've been guessing since Lightfall dropped - the Veil is the Dark Traveler

https://twitter.com/Bungie_Leaks/status/1690174313234604033?s=20

Why wouldn't it be that

I haven't even played Lightfall and I assumed it was that lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm pretty sure that's exactly the conclusion to draw from the one witness cutscene as well.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

RBA Starblade posted:

I just want those sweet sweet orbs

Masterworked weapons and exotics with catalysts don’t make orbs anymore.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
who the gently caress at bungie thinks its acceptable for nightfalls to be so ridiculously variant in difficulty week to week

Not like grandmasters idgaf but just normal-rear end nightfalls. This week's is a loving torture chamber, why? Who the gently caress asked for this

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

fast cars loose anus posted:

who the gently caress at bungie thinks its acceptable for nightfalls to be so ridiculously variant in difficulty week to week

Not like grandmasters idgaf but just normal-rear end nightfalls. This week's is a loving torture chamber, why? Who the gently caress asked for this
Every person that's stated that the game was too easy dutifully completes one (1) of these GMs to get their gilded conqueror (if they can be bothered) and then never touch it again.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I just spent an half hour in one because someone left at that ritual partand got 200! rep for vanguard with a 5 streak active gently caress this Im just gonna grind normals

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

it's very cool and good that strikes, nightfalls and their GM versions have a spectrum of difficulty to force players to deal with encounters and situations in different ways. I really enjoy thinking about my loadout and trying to make my build and guns work for me and help me overcome the specific scenarios of a certain strike. It's especially enjoyable when I get presented a new problem or challenge to overcome in a strike that I previously blew by in the Vanguard Op's version. I also find it really fun to optimize in that setting and discovering loadout or build choices that can make difficult sections much easier. A good example is taking suppressor grenades in Lightblade for the room after the opening so you can dumpster all the hive guardians.

Increased difficulty forces the player to play in different and new ways instead of just face rolling the encounters like its Vanguard Ops.

Providing a spectrum of difficulty also allows players who may not have the depth of vault or gameplay experience to be introduced to Legend, Master or GM's without dropping them straight into the deep end of the pool like Psi-Ops Moon/Mars, Lightblade or Corrupted. god bless joining allies for Corrupted.

You're running into trouble because Moon is new and probably designed to be on the harder end of things.

GM's like Fallen Saber, old Lake of Shadows and the Disgraced are great onboarding ramps to get players comfortable operating at a higher difficulty in less challenging environments that are still a bump up from their normal experience before dumping them into the newest offerings. You're running into trouble because Moon is new so there aren't a bunch of strat videos out, nor have all the norms been pushed down into the player base and its probably designed to be on the harder end of things.

Anyway, check out this triple arc 12min clear with Tractor and shotguns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ep7Vx1Ykkc

Sestze posted:

Every person that's stated that the game was too easy dutifully completes one (1) of these GMs to get their gilded conqueror (if they can be bothered) and then never touch it again.

Well you're wrong. People enjoy this poo poo and I am one of them. I'm actually like 3 for 12 (it took 6 to get my first RIP) and really enjoyed the experience of figuring out how to beat it. I also know plenty of people with way more clears than me. People run multiple times for fun and to help their friends gild. Especially the first few days after a new GM hits the rotation the discovery experience is really enjoyable for me. Oh what'd you clear on, where'd you stand? how did you handle this part? How did you open this room? Oh well did you know when he phases he does this, or that you can actually get away with X instead of Y?

We also had a great time trying 2 arc hunters with tractor and punching everything, did 2 arc hunters with orpheus chaining raiden flux's (could never clear the boss) or different fun strats. The bridge is also just a good time as far as combat is concerned. We tried to imitate this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D1SDU3eV3Y

If goons are having trouble with stuff I would highly encourage pinging in overchill LFG, even if its just a rep run or to knock out a few bounties, someone will come mess around and assist.

E: Bonus Orb Physics I tried to gif this off imgur but idk how :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8GWIBYn-Vk

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 13, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

it's very cool and good that strikes, nightfalls and their GM versions have a spectrum of difficulty to force players to deal with encounters and situations in different ways. I really enjoy thinking about my loadout and trying to make my build and guns work for me and help me overcome the specific scenarios of a certain strike. It's especially enjoyable when I get presented a new problem or challenge to overcome in a strike that I previously blew by in the Vanguard Op's version. I also find it really fun to optimize in that setting and discovering loadout or build choices that can make difficult sections much easier. A good example is taking suppressor grenades in Lightblade for the room after the opening so you can dumpster all the hive guardians.

Increased difficulty forces the player to play in different and new ways instead of just face rolling the encounters like its Vanguard Ops.

Yes all this is very well and fine but hero level (or whatever the first level beyond base was) nightfalls used to not be ballbreakers and that was a good place for it to be. Cranking those up and not providing an interim difficulty between the snoozefest that is a regular vanguard run and hero level nightfalls was a mistake.

My problem is not the existence of difficulty levels its that they removed the difficulty level that I liked and replaced it with nothing

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm ok with it being a ballbreaker but God knows how I'd gm this

sunday at work posted:

Masterworked weapons and exotics with catalysts don’t make orbs anymore.

Well, gently caress

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Like I said, basically worthless

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
moon battlegrounds really is way out of line imo as a nightfall, it's the hardest GM in the game by a fair margin unless someone has found a cheese spot for the double savathun phase.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reiterpallasch posted:

moon battlegrounds really is way out of line imo as a nightfall, it's the hardest GM in the game by a fair margin unless someone has found a cheese spot for the double savathun phase.

the way I got dragged through it for the final boss was to chill on the platform you land (from entering the mindscape) and plink at trash from there. It’s pretty safe. When savathun shows up you hang on the right side of the main fight area where there’s a column you can use as cover. Repeat for next phase until double savathun at which point all bets are off since you can only kinda use the same column for cover. I was the invis hunter so I just went in visit to grab a spear, throw it a few, then repeat while everyone else stayed alive.

We did not even try to go for platinum. Invis Hunter lets you handle a lot of bullshit in a lot of GMs this season.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Devour Warlock with invis on finisher is also really survivable in high-level stuff; plus that way you don’t have to play a H*nter

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Waroduce posted:

Well you're wrong. People enjoy this poo poo and I am one of them. I'm actually like 3 for 12 (it took 6 to get my first RIP) and really enjoyed the experience of figuring out how to beat it. I also know plenty of people with way more clears than me. People run multiple times for fun and to help their friends gild. Especially the first few days after a new GM hits the rotation the discovery experience is really enjoyable for me. Oh what'd you clear on, where'd you stand? how did you handle this part? How did you open this room? Oh well did you know when he phases he does this, or that you can actually get away with X instead of Y?
There are people that enjoy the harder content. The strategy to run the GM involves the handful of sources of infinite invisibility, or standing on a platform plinking the boss with Wish Ender. The Mars GM from last season involved running back and forth between two pylons at the front of the room to kite the boss back and forth, then using invis to dunk orbs on the center. The Lightblade GM needs infinite invis for the boat section (Shoutouts to Omnioculus), as well as kiting for the final boss to glitch him out of his ranged attack. The corrupted requires good positioning and sequencing, but there is a fallback spot that avoids the adds and can offer some cover from the boss.

If you're sensing a theme with any of these GMs, it's abusing blind spots in the boss's AI and slowly whittling them down over time.

That's not limited to the difficult ones, look at Disgraced (sit on the catwalk to avoid thrall while plinking the boss), or SABER (sit to the right side of the room behind a pylon for the first half of the fight, and on the left side in a nook for the second half of the fight) or Devil's Lair (Train wreckage for first room, Long range plinking for second room, left side tiny room for third). This is mostly because you don't have the ability to res people quickly, and being clipped by a Wizard Barrage while trapped in a fart cloud, or a SABER railgun shot ends your life without any real questions. You can't scrap it out, your best strategy is mitigation, and the most powerful way to do that is by abusing these blind spots.

However, the difference between the "easy" GMs and the difficult ones, in my opinion, come from enemy type and variance. The Psyops Moon GM is absurdly high variance because the ritual room has pseudorandomized infinite add spawns, multiple acolyte lightbearers (Blade barrage can target wildly different targets from who the acolyte is focusing on), and Savathun Stormtrance shuts off entire chunks of the map, seemingly at random. Compare that to the fixed spawns of SABER or Disgraced, or the funneling of Devil's Lair, that chaos can be more easily controlled.

I'm there for the rewards. If I run grandmasters, its for materials, exotics, or the weapon of the week. If the fireteam scrubs out, we get nothing. I don't like being forced to take a week off from efficient material farm because the NF is far, far less efficient or has a significant amount of variance. I will say that if you play your life on Hero and bring appropriate antichamp stuff, it's not too bad, but it's the difference betwen a 8-12 minute NF and a 22 minute NF for, at the beginning of the season, a high likelihood of getting two tokens and a blue (because plat rewards was bugged)

oh, and doing it on legend still gives ascendant shards - you're really only losing out on the adept osprey. It's just a difference between a 15 min GM for 2-4 shards vs a 40 min GM for the same reward.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 13, 2023

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

GMs are the most fun when you can communicate with your fireteam, for several reasons:

1) strategy and coordination, obviously

2) a stronger guarantee your fireteam doesn’t bail on you when it gets too hard

3) the experience of the general emotional state of GMs (e.g. “can you believe this poo poo a single moth just murdered me what the gently caress”) is unfun alone but can be funny with the right people around you

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Most of GM moon battlegrounds is actually pretty fun--the initial bridge section is i think the best combat coridor in any strike--but getting winged by storm call should probably not kill you in a single hit through cover at 100 resilience with double arc resist mods.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kinda lol how the hive does better with sentinel shield than basically everyone in the Vanguard

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

It's kinda lol how the hive does better with sentinel shield than basically everyone in the Vanguard

The one enemy i truly respect and do not gently caress around with.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah I've seen more full wipes in a GM from an unlucky shield bounce than anything else

Lightblade :mad:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

I do like the lightbearer hive as a new enemy type that breaks up the monotony its just that

Sestze posted:

The Psyops Moon GM is absurdly high variance because the ritual room has pseudorandomized infinite add spawns, multiple acolyte lightbearers (Blade barrage can target wildly different targets from who the acolyte is focusing on),

RBA Starblade posted:

God drat

made me furiously annoyed this week. Like for a GM that would be fine as thats the top tier difficulty sure bust people's balls but like maybe tone that down one notch on the lever for "anyone can queue for this and we wont even check if they have anti-champ stuff"

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The one enemy i truly respect and do not gently caress around with.
Absolutely. I find myself saying "use your utility" every time I run into Hive Acolyte or Knight Lightbearers. Suspend, freeze, super, heavy - whatever, they gotta go. Every time I ignore my own urging I get snagged by a suppressor grenade or blade barrage and die.

made me furiously annoyed this week. Like for a GM that would be fine as thats the top tier difficulty sure bust people's balls but like maybe tone that down one notch on the lever for "anyone can queue for this and we wont even check if they have anti-champ stuff"
From a friend that's been attempting it all week: "Dunk 1, hoard 3 then complete, melt the shrieker, rotate and melt both acolytes, then gather up another 8 (depositing one on the left ritual) and complete both rituals at once"

This despawns all champions, so this is more for completion, not for platinum rewards.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 14, 2023

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So is aztecross some sort of right wing dude? I like his D2 videos but this political poo poo stinks

https://twitter.com/aztecross/status/1690507072545099776

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

neutral milf hotel posted:

So is aztecross some sort of right wing dude? I like his D2 videos but this political poo poo stinks

https://twitter.com/aztecross/status/1690507072545099776

All streamers are bad and susceptible to obvious astro turf poo poo to generate engagement. It’s their whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Starts out talking about working all day at a poo poo job for no pay, which, hell yeah, sing it weird mustache guy, but then it starts bitching about taxes and takes a hard right turn into 300 pound welfare queens, so uh. Mildly bad, yeah. Also, "North of Richmond" feels like a dog whistle.

Be kinda funny if the guy who made the giant video complaining about how Destiny costs money is also a "gently caress poors" guy.