Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
No

Edit: I'd say that's definitely the most prominent symptom though.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Finished Act 2 of CS2. Now onto the Finale, which if precedent set by previous games means anything, is gonna be at least another 20-30 hours. That last Laura bonding event was exactly what I wanted it to be. Now to find out what the villains have been working on that definitely won't be horrible and ruin the good vibes I got.

At a guess, I'd say they're gonna put Cedric ina robot and I'm gonna have to fight him, and also probably something's going to happen with Osborne, whom Lechter assured me in Azure was definitely still alive and still an rear end in a top hat.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

In Trails tradition, the Finale is going to pop off

And imo Laura has consistently good bonding events in Cold Steel

And would you believe that the finale isn’t even close to the end of the game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished the Reverie corridor fuuuuck that final boss, got it to like 1% and it pulled out an instant no escaping 'you died' kill not sure it's even possible to avoid without having enough S-crafts ready to interrupt and finish it off before the last attack?

Did 'weaken & retry' and it still took me 15 minutes to kill, zero regrets.

If you're gonna pull super boss poo poo don't put the real ending behind it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, people weren't joking about Arts being strong in CS4. Musse with Arts does way more damage than anything else I can do, and that one Master Quartz usually fully regenerates any EP she spends; she can cast a Lost Art on a group of 3+ mobs and regenerate all her EP back in the process, it's very silly. When her Arts crit, they do like 70k damage, which is about double what my stronger S-Crafts do.

I've also discovered that Ash's (or even Rean's) Orders that increase crit rate are great for trash mobs, since the crits regain BP.

Question - Do Orders that increase Crit rate also increase Arts crit rate? I want to say yes, since Musse seems to have an almost-guaranteed crit rate with Arts when a crit rate Order is active, so I think it might be adding the 40+% from the Order to the Arts crit rate from her Master Quartz.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I just finished Chapter 3 in Azure and falcom absolutely did it do the “and everyone was okay in the end” hand wave. Start of chapter 4 is just ruthless.

I think this is my favorite one of these.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Arts are ridiculously strong in CS 4, and Crafts and physicals fall behind - tremendously so in the late-game. If you want, you can even make Rean into a passable caster, because the damage is so high even with a poor ATS stat.

Personally, though, my go-to caster in CS 4/Reverie is always going to be Alisa because her speed means she usually gets a turn before most enemies move, allowing her to drop an incredibly useful Heavenly Gift onto the field.

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just finished Chapter 3 in Azure and falcom absolutely did it do the “and everyone was okay in the end” hand wave. Start of chapter 4 is just ruthless.

I think this is my favorite one of these.

Actually, I don't think they did that handwave this time. That's something which makes this sequence really good. In the cutscene where the CGF gets ambushed, Shirley says to kill anyone who fights back, and several unmoving CGF soldiers bodies are shown in the aftermath. I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned that there were in fact deaths in the attacks along the Mainz road and in the city itself.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
CS4 romance question- i romanced Alisa in CS3 but i wasn't really feeling it tbh. can i switch gears and romance a different character in 4?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yes. Alisa even has a special bond event where she breaks up with Rean (for understandable plot reasons) if you romanced her in CS3.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

psychoJ posted:

CS4 romance question- i romanced Alisa in CS3 but i wasn't really feeling it tbh. can i switch gears and romance a different character in 4?

Yes. And you'd better believe I did, she pissed me off in 4 lol :mad:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

drat ok. good to know lol

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Artix posted:

Yes. Alisa even has a special bond event where she breaks up with Rean (for understandable plot reasons) if you romanced her in CS3.

"""understandable"""

I don't care what anyone says, it was bullshit :mad::mad::mad:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Artix posted:

She breaks up with you even if you didn't romance her

The romance in CS is kinda tacked on in ways. It doesn't really follow on from game to game, so you don't need to worry about locking yourself into or out of a romance or anything

E: The only exception is Reverie looks at who Rean got with in CS4 but even that's mostly for a couple of minor scenes since Reverie doesn't actually have a romance system or anything

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 13, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She breaks up with you even if you didn't romance her

The romance in CS is kinda tacked on in ways. It doesn't really follow on from game to game, so you don't need to worry about locking yourself into or out of a romance or anything

And it does absolutely nothing in Reverie lol

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Actually, I don't think they did that handwave this time. That's something which makes this sequence really good. In the cutscene where the CGF gets ambushed, Shirley says to kill anyone who fights back, and several unmoving CGF soldiers bodies are shown in the aftermath. I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned that there were in fact deaths in the attacks along the Mainz road and in the city itself.

There are npc corpses scattered across the series, there was literally a tally done and everything. That's not what made Azure feel special there, it was the fact that the damage was overtly being done to those that couldn't fight back shattering their peaceful lives.

It was done really well, I was in awe.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 13, 2023

...!
Oct 5, 2003

MythosDragon posted:

There are npc corpses scattered across the series, there was literally a tally done and everything. That's not what made Azure feel special there, it was the fact that the damage was overtly being done to those that couldn't fight back shattering their peaceful lives.

Dude, they're all unconscious, not dead

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I think maybe two people have died across this entire series

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

MythosDragon posted:

They actually pull off the same thing on a smaller scale with Zero when the Hospital is attacked. They don’t go nearly as dark though. The Crossbell games have some pacing issues, but I like them a lot.

TheMightyBoops fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 13, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

...! posted:

I think maybe two people have died across this entire series

I know you're being facetious, but they have explicitly said in Reverie that quite a few people died during (CS4) the very short war .

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Cyouni posted:

I know you're being facetious, but they have explicitly said in Reverie that quite a few people died during (CS4) the very short war .

Probably a mistranslation

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

just ran into Anton. can't wait to see what antics this guy and his friend get up to

...!
Oct 5, 2003

psychoJ posted:

just ran into Anton. can't wait to see what antics this guy and his friend get up to

More like Anton-ics :xd:

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

holy poo poo you can fast travel to trial chests in CS4. that rocks

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

...! posted:

"""understandable"""

I don't care what anyone says, it was bullshit :mad::mad::mad:

I'll pipe in with my disagreement about that being "bullshit."

(CS 3 end spoilers)

In the final hours of CS 3, in quick succession, Alisa learns...
  • ...that one of Rean's students, someone Alisa has met (even if just barely), has attempted to murder the Emperor.
  • ...that her father is not actually dead as she thought.
  • ...her mother knew that the entire time.
  • ...Sharon, who Alisa has seen as a surrogate sister of sorts for years was the one who tried to kill him. (Which her mother knew, and still put Sharon in charge of raising Alisa.)
  • ...Sharon - who has repeatedly decreed her loyalty to the Reinford family and Alisa, even to the point of fighting members of her own organization - betrays her and fights against her.
  • ...her father is evil and is trying to bring about, essentially, the apocalypse.
  • ...Millium is dead.
  • ...the man she is in love with has gone literally insane with guilt, grief, and rage. And he's been taken prisoner.

That kind of poo poo would screw up anyone's head. Pretty much her entire support network was gone or unavailable, and what was left (Class VII) was also hurting and grieving too. I'm far more impressed that she was still standing and as functional as she was after all that.

And then at the start of CS 4 Act 2, Alisa's mother has been seen front and center on stage supporting the war effort for a war based on a lie. Rean comes back, but his appearance is changed at least semi-permanently. He also has to fight some extremely powerful people in a series of duels to the death, and if he tries to avoid those, he'll be driven berserk and insane permanently. The odds of him surviving seem almost hopeless. She was holding together, focused on trying to help get him back, only to learn that she might lose him for good anyway.

That's a hell of a lot to deal with, and you're angry at HER for understanding that she is under way too much stress and can't handle all of it? I think that's actually a sign of great personal growth for her to be able to recognize that she's not in a state of mind where she can think about romance. She feels like she needs to compartmentalize to be able to help Rean (that is not surprising considering the example of her mother).

I'm honestly baffled by people who were on the Alisa path, but got upset over that. It's like they have trouble empathizing with what she's going through.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 13, 2023

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

holy poo poo once again. GILBERT! :argh: i love that he sounds like Invader Zim lol

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yeah, that's a good summary of all the bullshit that happened to Alisa in the later games. Poor girl is nowhere in the right place or moment for romance.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think Alisa breaking up with Rean makes the romance better.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It absolutely does! The second event (if you saw the first) has Rean pursuing the relationship. It's a classic reversal in stories, but here it stands out because it's so unlike Rean in everyone else's event.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, uh, I forget if they stated anything about this, so refresh my memory: Siegmund's alive, right? I definitely remember that Randy didn't kill him in Azure. Do they ever state if he's still alive? Did the Red Constellation have a schism with Shirley now an enforcer? Is he technically now subordinate to her? Is he just Away in CS3+4+Reverie?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Just "away" on unspecified business.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Reverie final (not counting post-game stuff) boss mechanics spoilers:
An attack that debuffs STR and sometimes seals became a lot less annoying once I just switched to four mages.

Edit: also, did no one QA the mechanics stuff text on the round before that?

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 13, 2023

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Reverie Coda super end: Man, those vignettes were really heavy on the "tell, not show" huh? More like short novellas than the typical Daydreams.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

psychoJ posted:

Unfortunately, you cannot. If you try to, your game will brick itself.

The developers decided that enough was enough - if the players didn't want to choose the correct girl, they would suffer the consequences.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Some Numbers posted:

Reverie Coda super end: Man, those vignettes were really heavy on the "tell, not show" huh? More like short novellas than the typical Daydreams.

They had a very "look at how cool and powerful my OC is" fanfiction vibe, but I enjoyed the one about Renne beating up a snotty rich kid and ruining his dad's political career. Little poo poo had no idea who he was messing with.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 13, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junpei posted:

So, uh, I forget if they stated anything about this, so refresh my memory: Siegmund's alive, right? I definitely remember that Randy didn't kill him in Azure. Do they ever state if he's still alive? Did the Red Constellation have a schism with Shirley now an enforcer? Is he technically now subordinate to her? Is he just Away in CS3+4+Reverie?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Just "away" on unspecified business.

Looking it up on the Kiseki wiki and it says that in CS3/4 he is mentioned as to being around, he's the reason that Shirley has Gareth and a squad of jaegers, and in CS4 he is the one that explicitly orders Gareth to not let Shirley drink or smoke at Rutger's memorial after he dies in the rivalries. Additionally, he is hired and takes part in operation Jormungandr - he's apparently the person who has all previously playable Crossbell folks (Arios, Rixia, Noelle, Dudley) too busy to help the main party during the CS4 finale.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I finally beat Reverie's main story and though that while the pacing was really, really poor, the big moments landed well and there were some really sweet story beats that I wish they had focused on more. Overall, about middle of the pack for me as far as Trails games go. It's honestly way too big most of the time and while that seems cool at first, it's exhausting supporting a party of that size. The TRC is a neat idea but the way it's implemented isn't my favorite. I do like that it makes a lot of stuff basically unmissable, though.

Overall I think it's just suffers by being "too much" all around. I have the Coda to complete but I'm kind of gassed out right now. All the extra stuff that opened up with the new Stratum just seems like a bridge too far so I may take a little break before continuing. I was playing more cheaty PPP players and thinking to myself "I don't need to do any of this!" but it also feels like there's story stuff I need to resolve before dropping the game entirely.

I think I've read that Kuro has a much more scaled down cast and I'm hopeful that marks a return to that style of game. Trails by way of the Avengers is a neat idea but exhausting in practice.

Weird question: can you ever select what battle music you want to use or are you just locked into the TRC theme for the rest of Coda? Reans theme was leagues above everything else and I prefer it to all the others.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As someone who never romanced Alisa, that bonding event works for me as her 'stepping down' in terms of romance tropes, saying she loves Rean and wanted to tell him that before its too late but also recognizing it'll never work between them because Rean and Laura have been dating since the end of the Civil War of her family drama. It recognizes the scenes that were heavily shipping them in the past games but it puts an end to any potential romance and they really do become 'just good friends'.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, it doesn't really put an end to any potential romance because Rean can still date her.

I just like how it changes the structure of the bonding events a bit. All the romances are super similar by nature so any that have something of a unique beat to them work for me.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean, it doesn't really put an end to any potential romance because Rean can still date her.

I just like how it changes the structure of the bonding events a bit. All the romances are super similar by nature so any that have something of a unique beat to them work for me.

Not if you don't do her second bonding event

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
CS2: Oh hey that finale really did pop off that was cool. Credits now? Yeah that makes sen- Divertissement? Epilogue? Another dungeon? You guys weren't kidding this game does not end.