Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lot of guys mad that V drinks aren't going GST-free .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Lot of guys mad that V drinks aren't going GST-free .

And not-guys!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

klen dool posted:

Why not take gst off all food without this moralistic paternalistic bullshit about the "right" way to eat and the "good" food you should be eating.
Thanks David

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Wafflecopper posted:

Um, yes? Petrol dropped from like $3 to $2.30ish when the subsidy came in and went up again when it ended. Maybe the petroleum companies kept some of it too idk but I definitely saved an appreciable amount of money because of it

The price drop was about two months after the tax cut and mostly due to falling oil prices and the gov threatening the petrol companies with an investigation.

They pocketed massive amounts of $$$ in the interim then gradually ramped prices back up (as oil prices collapsed!) anyway. It was I think one of the single worst and most ineffective policies the gov has implemented and a complete disaster.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Remember that petrol companies have to report their profit margins regularly too. Supermarkets don't unless the government actively investigates.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
it's fine having individual regressive taxes (gst, fuel, tobacco excise, etc.) as long as the tax system as a whole is progressive.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

NatAct are going to walk it anyway. The question is just whether Eggman has big plans or is actually as empty headed as presented.

don't worry, act has the ideas

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

exmarx posted:

don't worry, act has the ideas

:saddowns:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
https://twitter.com/dan_brunskill/status/1689484435195047936

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
If we have to have Nact, please somehow make it so they also need Winnie. Mix a little comedy into the tragedy.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
it'd be funny if winston ended up kingmaker again and died peacefully of old age during negotiations

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I wonder how well Act and National will actually work together. David Seymour is a loving nut job and even someone like Luxton will be inwardly sighing and telling him to gently caress off with his ideas at some point.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

I wonder how well Act and National will actually work together. David Seymour is a loving nut job and even someone like Luxton will be inwardly sighing and telling him to gently caress off with his ideas at some point.

I can see alot of the national party telling him to gently caress off at some point but luxon seems like such an incredible push over and that's what worries me more than anything.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

I can see alot of the national party telling him to gently caress off at some point but luxon seems like such an incredible push over and that's what worries me more than anything.

This is something the media is not picking up on. Like this week he couldn’t even push back with a child misspelling a word. Similar with the non action with Uffindel and Kuriger. He just doesn’t seem to be capable of saying no to people directly. I guess in the past he would have had underlings to handle that sort of thing for him.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Ghostlight posted:

It would be more expensive and have less of an effect than just lowering GST across the board.

That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Frankly I believe the same thing about Greens' wealth tax vs other forms of taxation.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Varkk posted:

This is something the media is not picking up on. Like this week he couldn’t even push back with a child misspelling a word. Similar with the non action with Uffindel and Kuriger. He just doesn’t seem to be capable of saying no to people directly. I guess in the past he would have had underlings to handle that sort of thing for him.

Yeah you both are right, he does seem to have been a bit weak lately. I noticed Willis doing a bit more with the media recently too, could Luxton just be a figurehead to keep the old white male vote while Willis is actually in charge?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Seymour is going to dictate policy to luxon and Willis because they're both airhead loving morons

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Seymour is going to dictate policy to luxon and Willis because they're both airhead loving morons

That's definitely my biggest fear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lmao

https://twitter.com/ChrisPenknz/sta...oing-off-air%2F

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's definitely my biggest fear.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i think all tax rates should be reduced to zero, to spur innovation and efficiency

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Boy I sure am excited for when my grocery bill drops from 320$ to 315$ before being re-absorbed by countdown. That will really help! Cheers, Chippy!

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Labour is in a bind. They are behind in the polls and if they promise anything meaningful they will be asked how they would pay for it by hostile media. Any talk of increasing government revenue in order to increase spending would be a death sentence.

I'm sure Hipkins wants to win and is offering any policy that internal polls show is popular. I do wonder if the Labour Party (rather than government) is willing to lose one term to National now, rather than spending three terms in opposition.

National currently have an uncharismatic leader who will turn Jacinda into a saint if given three years to mismanage the country in coalition with ACT. All it will do is harm people Labour don't care about anyway. It might be a strategic win.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
It'll be at least two terms of Nact if they get in now, probably with more National seats in the second term. We'd have to see rioting in just about every region for a main party to get one-termed.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
Luxon is a void of charisma who is basically campaigning on the idea that the current Global economic situation and it's impact on New Zealand is Labour's fault and things will be better under National. What little policy has been pitched amounts to spend less and achieve more.

It is easy to forget that Key's success hinged on the perception that he mitigated the impact of the 2008 global financial crisis here. Luxon is unlikely to get handed the same first term win, my guess is that he will end up the face of increasing disaster and get rolled. All the while, middle New Zealand will be in process of Jacinda's canonization.

Act will have enough leverage to get policy that delivers to their own base. Which is policy that hurts the centre. If they mess up enough in the next few months, Winston will also be back. Actually conservative, politically savvy and potentially dividing the right further.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

It is easy to forget that Key's success hinged on the perception that he mitigated the impact of the 2008 global financial crisis here.

That really annoys me because NZ got through that because Cullen had our economy in a state to weather such a storm. National just came in and claimed the glory while they then hosed up our super scheme etc that he set up. Although I guess that is what you would expect from National after Muldoon killed one in the 70s.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Luxon et al are going to get credit for interest rates falling/the cost of living stabilising/economic growth taking off again as spending increases.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BIZNIS CUNFIDINSE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Luxon et al are going to get credit for interest rates falling/the cost of living stabilising/economic growth taking off again as spending increases.

Why would that happen though

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

bike tory posted:

Sure, but the inverse also applies. People blame whomever is currently in power for their current situation. Ongoing costs of climate disasters, political and financial fallout from any decision regarding AUKUS. That's ignoring any negative consequences of their own policies.

With 12 percent or so, ACT are around a quarter of the seats. Labour didn't really concede anything to the Greens, I don't see National having the same luxury. So passing unpopular libertarian bullshit while sharing the centrist base with Labour is going to hurt.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Key basically pinned all the poo poo rightwing stuff on Act when they basically only had John Banks.I am sure they will keep doing the same thing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why would that happen though

Reserve bank forecasts are for inflation to be back within the 1-3% range by late 2024, so they'll start dialling down the OCR probably towards the second half of next year and, barring another pandemic or some poo poo, interest rates will probably be back under 4% by next election, asset prices (and property speculation if National roll back all of Robbo's chsnges) will be on the rise again, current migration settings will continue and by then will have eased a bunch of employment shortfalls, etc etc.

All because of National's solid and sensible economic management of course!

Meanwhile the state housing build will stall, infrastructure/health/education spending (outside of transport (roads)) will fall back below basic upkeep rates, minimum wage won't move, increasing numbers of workers will be moved onto individual contracts with no underlying legal rights, funding for our already-precarious community organisations will dry up completely, benefits will be cut off and super contributions will be frozen, etc etc. None of which will impact on the media narrative that reflects the views of middle class pākehā who overall aren't impacted by any of that poo poo and reap the benefits of asset price inflation and cheap petrol.

the copium is strong today folks

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 13, 2023

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009
I think copium would be implying that good things will happen. I don't think Luxon has the political skill set that Key is famous for. Mostly I doubt the next few years will be as rosy.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

not sure what in that post you consider to be "rosy" but I'm certainly not trying to paint a positive picture of the next three years

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Tfw you mix up your hopium and copium stashes :shobon:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
9 more weeks till the election.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
Billboards are all up, the neighbourhood just got a whole lot uglier.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bike tory posted:

Reserve bank forecasts are for inflation to be back within the 1-3% range by late 2024, so they'll start dialling down the OCR probably towards the second half of next year and, barring another pandemic or some poo poo, interest rates will probably be back under 4% by next election, asset prices (and property speculation if National roll back all of Robbo's chsnges) will be on the rise again, current migration settings will continue and by then will have eased a bunch of employment shortfalls, etc etc.

All because of National's solid and sensible economic management of course!

Meanwhile the state housing build will stall, infrastructure/health/education spending (outside of transport (roads)) will fall back below basic upkeep rates, minimum wage won't move, increasing numbers of workers will be moved onto individual contracts with no underlying legal rights, funding for our already-precarious community organisations will dry up completely, benefits will be cut off and super contributions will be frozen, etc etc. None of which will impact on the media narrative that reflects the views of middle class pākehā who overall aren't impacted by any of that poo poo and reap the benefits of asset price inflation and cheap petrol.

the copium is strong today folks

Eh it could still just as easily go sour. Their forecasts have pretty consistently been overoptimistic about rates dropping. And it's sort of a moot point since RBNZ rates are largely dictated by overseas rates. Too low and the NZD plummets, hurting imports like fuel. Too high and NZD skyrockets, hurting exports and tourism. So even if inflation finally subsides domestically, a lot depends on how the rest of the world is doing at the same time. You could probably replace the RBNZ board with a program that matches US Fed rates and largely end up with the same results.

Meanwhile underwater mortgages and mortgage delinquency rates are slowly rising, despite unemployment staying low. NZ isn't a no-recourse jurisdiction so people can't just walk away and leave the keys with the bank, but at some point a bankruptcy becomes worth getting out of a loan that's unaffordable and underwater (e: assuming mortgages are dischargeable in bankruptcy? idk). This then leads to more financial pressure on the banks themselves given their dependence on residential property. Meanwhile if the rates rises are finally "successful" then unemployment will go up, putting further pressure on high housing prices.

Not saying this will all necessarily come to pass but just pointing out that things are still pretty shaky yet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All I know is the global rate of profit is declining and no amount of numbermancy can change that, all the rest is just smoke and mirrors. I'm open to the concept of a momentary pause in the worsening of everything everywhere coinciding with a national term but I don't think it'll happen. I expect that wealth being siphoned away by internationally mobile rich boomers will accelerate while everyone else on these islands gets more immiserated. Maybe national get one term, maybe they get two, either way labour won't change anything regardless of when they get into power.

If the greens become an effective political force in the meantime they'll be immediately subverted or outright destroyed.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 14, 2023

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i watched The News the other day and a decent chunk of it was dedicated to how scary China is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Latest poll time.

https://twitter.com/harrypeterson_/status/1690929414157295616?s=20