Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodFishBalls
Jul 1, 2023

Bip Roberts posted:

Do small teams buy insurance plans on their cars?

It's hard to deal with insurance as it's a niche field. Insurance usually won't cover a new car, but only a fraction of the car, while being through the nose high on premiums.

I saw this floating around somewhere on, I want to say Sportscar365.com, in one of their "so you want to go GT3 racing" articles. Can check later today for the exact article.

edit: my bad, dailysportscar, http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/06/22/so-you-want-to-go-gt3-racing-part-1.html

CodFishBalls fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Make a small fortune, start with big fortune, etc

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Presumably you don't race GR3 to make money but if with some degree of insurance you could make the cost of running a team much more of a certain and steady expenditure as opposed to having to shutter with the wrong bad luck.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ultimately you just swipe your dentist's credit card to pay for the damages

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Make a small fortune, start with big fortune, etc

Precisely this. That’s why young drivers that can refine raw speed (a fast quali lap) into speed over the course of the race are good, but doing that while staying clean is what truly elevates people.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

harperdc posted:

Precisely this. That’s why young drivers that can refine raw speed (a fast quali lap) into speed over the course of the race are good, but doing that while staying clean is what truly elevates people.

It's interesting to think of the management mindset that fast young drivers aren't necessarily just risky for abstract unproven talent or mindset reasons, but also that they may be extremely expensive to let drive your car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s also because, ironically enough, fast is plentiful. You can find somebody quick over a lap pretty easily. The harder part, I gather, is finding somebody quick who is also

• light on the tires and/or fuel mileage
  • good at being quick consistently between pit stops
  • able to understand both current car behavior and, potentially, what they want done to correct the setup and in detail
  • makes few mistakes, both in traffic, in battles and by themselves on the circuit

That doesn’t mean every driver who’s a top pro is great at all of those factors - guys like Juan Pablo Montoya and Kimi Raikkoken weren’t as focused on setups as others, but they were so naturally gifted they could drive around issues. But being better than 6 or 7/10 on all of those facets (and probably more) is what separates a fast 20-year-old in F3 from a pro at the top level.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tom Kristensen famously could be fast and save fuel at the same time, which was what made him an all time great.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tom Kristensen had one more ace up his sleeve, which is that he was exceptional at night and in the rain (and both at the same time).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I was at Silverstone today for a drift clown event and on the way out past the Porsche centre I spotted two 919s in their post-WEC gently caress your lap records and farewell liveries and had to pull up.

It actually hurt my heart a little bit to see those two priceless pieces of history parked up, nose to tail, hidden away with moss and algae on them. I've tried Googling but I'm not finding anything on why they'd be there in such a borderline abandoned state. I'm guessing they are just shells with no drive train in them.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Might have been something used for goodwood or something.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's a good couple of hours to Goodwood from Silverstone, my best guess was that they were the chasssis used on the farewell tour when they derestricted them and went on a European tour of breaking lap records and just transported the drivetrain?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Might also be display cars, not actually the driving chassis

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's been years and it's still hard to fathom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

net work error posted:

nbd, nbd, just driving through the foxhole at 330kph

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

the fov contributes but it still looks too fast to be real

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Charles Leclerc posted:

I was at Silverstone today for a drift clown event and on the way out past the Porsche centre I spotted two 919s in their post-WEC gently caress your lap records and farewell liveries and had to pull up.

It actually hurt my heart a little bit to see those two priceless pieces of history parked up, nose to tail, hidden away with moss and algae on them. I've tried Googling but I'm not finding anything on why they'd be there in such a borderline abandoned state. I'm guessing they are just shells with no drive train in them.

Yeah I was there two years ago, I got a picture with the 919"whatever they called the gently caress you version". They were clean then so they've clearly not been touched since.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Porsche had 963 show cars before the real ones turned laps in anger, I’m guessing the 919 “this is just a” Tributes that actually ran are in the Porsche museum or proper storage. Too valuable to waste at the PEC at Silverstone.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

net work error posted:

love the bounce down the straight

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Porsche had 963 show cars before the real ones turned laps in anger, I’m guessing the 919 “this is just a” Tributes that actually ran are in the Porsche museum or proper storage. Too valuable to waste at the PEC at Silverstone.

I'd assumed 2 years ago they might be visiting but if they're still there then yeah, shells.

Could at least clean the fuckers though.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dudley posted:

Yeah I was there two years ago, I got a picture with the 919"whatever they called the gently caress you version". They were clean then so they've clearly not been touched since.

For what it's worth, that's the Le Mans spec aero of the final year they ran in WEC, not the 919 Evo, which had no headlights (among other things)

And yeah that's definitely a show car, the opaque 'glass' is a dead giveaway

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, still cool to see before they apparently decided to return it to nature.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Corvette allegedly racing in IMSA and WEC, with Pratt & Miller is doing IMSA and TF Sport doing WEC, including 2 additional customer cars in IMSA.

Pretty cool!

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
The SRX season finale may be the single best motorsports broadcast I’ve ever seen. Find 2 hours for it, it’s so much fun and the racing was drat good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Corvette allegedly racing in IMSA and WEC, with Pratt & Miller is doing IMSA and TF Sport doing WEC, including 2 additional customer cars in IMSA.

Pretty cool!

I don’t think that’s allegedly, that’s been the rumored plan for a bit and I think the IMSA side has been firmed up.

I think it was one of the LMP3 dentist teams that has the GTD-Am cars in IMSA?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I don’t think that’s allegedly, that’s been the rumored plan for a bit and I think the IMSA side has been firmed up.

I think it was one of the LMP3 dentist teams that has the GTD-Am cars in IMSA?

Yeah, I don't know them but they're running LMP3s this year.

Also some nutter appears to think entering a 6 year old LMP2 Ligier is a good plan for 2024.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Also some nutter appears to think entering a 6 year old LMP2 Ligier is a good plan for 2024.

That’s a nutty dentist that is currently running a Ligier LMP3 and can’t next year in WeatherTech, so decided to stick with the support structure and dust off an old chassis. Doesn’t mind doing it the hard way apparently. (The money mark behind that was interviewed on RLM’s weekly show a month or so back)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I guess if you're a poo poo dentist 3 seconds off the pace, the extra 0.5 from a Ligier isn't going to make the difference.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Probably got it very cheap too. The Ligier is almost as good as the oreca (although tire development definitely went oreca's way) but it's hamstrung by it's Hewland gearbox, which has reliability issues compared to the oreca's xtrac

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Wild SF race.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
F1 will probably be poo poo this weekend but I'm sure there will be some good racing at the Silverstone festival - lots of old school cars getting the dentist treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvxMTFl5kOM

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Jett Lawrence won the 450 motocross championship today. Won all 22 motos this season as a rookie. He's spectacular

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hey come to Indianapolis mlorps. We’re gonna blow up engines all week at IRP

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Like all niche motorsports this is probably dominated by one person every race but I want to watch it anyway

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like how you gotta lean into the drift to keep it from toppling.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

ilmucche posted:

Like all niche motorsports this is probably dominated by one person every race but I want to watch it anyway

i love f-zero

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
In case you were tired of having the only decent behind the scenes series for GT/WEC being bound to a hopeless binman, BMW decided to do the same but with a promising one instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zii7eb7c9w

Edit: I've just discovered that ACO has done a second print of all of their centenary shirts, caps and most importantly books. The centenary book, whose English edition was missing since the end of the preorder, is now back in stock.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 2, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dirtfishrally/status/1699425222942687396

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

And the said Sardinia was rough this year because of the rain!

Honestly though, the whole Mediterranean is getting hosed this year. We just had a treeless Monza too, because the forrest around the track was felled by storms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The first every Supermotocross Championship starts this Saturday. There will be three races, one in Charlotte, one in Chicago, and the finals in LA on September 23rd.

It's going to be a coronation of Jett Lawrence in the 450 class, but the 250 class is wide open and I am looking forward to it