Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think I've ever heard of Ghost-Maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of Ghost-Maker.

He's the newest person on that list. His whole schtick is he's Batman minus the "no-kill" rule. He basically trained with Bruce with all the same masters that taught Bruce on his many journeys pre-Batmanning but then got super-pissed when Bruce told him about his origin and that he was doing it all for vengeance instead of the love of the game stopping crime. They agreed to stay out of each other's lanes for years. Blah blah some other stuff happens but the important part is eventually Batman convinced him to work with him and he's currently running Batman Inc.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 7, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TwoPair posted:

He's the newest person on that list. His whole schtick is he's Batman minus the "no-kill" rule.

This was Azrael's shtick.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Baller Ina posted:

Cassandra is Batgirl in Young Justice. Has a close relationship with Barbara, since in the show she accidentally caused her injury that leads to her becoming Oracle.

I completely forgot about Young Justice, honestly.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

This was Azrael's shtick.

thought it was red hood's

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Red Hood doesn’t kill now that he’s integrated back into the Bat family.

The Cassandra Cain being an illiterate, mute, karate master got walked back pretty quickly in her initial run because it was pointed out it’s a bit of a racist trope.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Open Marriage Night posted:

being an illiterate, mute, karate master got walked back pretty quickly in her initial run because it was pointed out it’s a bit of a racist trope.

Really? Like an old pulp thing?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Lobok posted:

I'm not sure where it comes from but "killer mute cute asian lady" was a cliche for a while, off the top of my head Kimiko from The Boys is exactly like this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is Katana, she's got my back. She can cut all of you in half with one sword stroke, just like mowing the lawn.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
kimiko didn't even have a loving name in the boys comic

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Sort of. Cass' thing is she was only raised with body language and no verbal language so she can read people in combat like no other, even letting her beat her mother Lady Shiva on at least on occasion. Very early in the run she met a psychic who was able to mess with Cass' brain and let her process words and speak, but at the cost of her fighting ability and things progress from there as she tried to get it back, etc. It wasn't so much 'walked back' as just kind 'Cassandra's Arc.'

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I can't find the source, but I think the psychic thing came from Kelly Puckett being called out by an Asian friend, so they fast tracked her learning how to understand language normally.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

Cassandra is Batgirl in Young Justice. Has a close relationship with Barbara, since in the show she accidentally caused her injury that leads to her becoming Oracle.

After googling a bit I just found out that Bluebird was in season 3 as well. I guess I just hadn't realized she was associated with the Bat Family when I watched it then. Looks like it's only Signal that hasn't been in anything.

Regardless, in a post FF7R world, I am left wanting a superhero game with different characters that feel distinct from each other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

RareAcumen posted:

Regardless, in a post FF7R world, I am left wanting a superhero game with different characters that feel distinct from each other.

I mean, in Gotham Knights the basic attacks are pretty similar, but the special abilities are pretty different.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

I can't find the source, but I think the psychic thing came from Kelly Puckett being called out by an Asian friend, so they fast tracked her learning how to understand language normally.

Couldn't find anything about that, but...

https://twitter.com/dailycasscain/status/1395559871974723591

It's true, Cass would be considered 'playing to the woke crowd' if she was created today.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2ixJFWXcg
A kind of nothing teaser trailer for The Last Ronin videogame. Between the original announcement and now I ended up reading the comic and it'll be interesting to see how they actually turn it into a game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He uses all four weapons, that's a whole D-pad of combat styles to level up

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

TwoPair posted:

He's the newest person on that list. His whole schtick is he's Batman minus the "no-kill" rule. He basically trained with Bruce with all the same masters that taught Bruce on his many journeys pre-Batmanning but then got super-pissed when Bruce told him about his origin and that he was doing it all for vengeance instead of the love of the game stopping crime. They agreed to stay out of each other's lanes for years. Blah blah some other stuff happens but the important part is eventually Batman convinced him to work with him and he's currently running Batman Inc.

I'd argue his schtick is competition-based sexual tension with Bruce, as opposed to Catwoman and his pursuit-based sexual tension

Batman has many foes, but Ghostmaker is the closest he has to a rival in the manga sense of the word

It might just be old person brain but a lot of the more recent additions are a bit underwhelming. Duke has a decent origin but his weird "Daytime Batman" gimmick is unwieldy, and his costume screams "Sacrificial lamb for the next big bad's debut." . Bluebird is a bat-person with a giant loving (taser) gun, which... I know that having Bruce be triggered by guns is kind of tired, but still.

As for the Batwings+The Batman of New York... wanting there to be a black member of the bat family is good, but would it kill them to have a black creator create them? Not that it would be a silver bullet for how mid these guys feel, but it'd at least feel a bit more sincere. Then again, the best way to launch a new character (IMHO) is introduce them organically in an existing ongoing book, and maybe that's too tall a hurdle for DC to be able to jump

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 13, 2023

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

John Ridley is the creator of the Jase Fox Batman, or is at least the one writing all his books.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm pretty excited for Last Ronin due to the fact how long it's been since

Mikey has been the star protag of a videogame. I think the last one was radical rescue for TMNT3 Gameboy and that was Metroidish game where you had to save the other 3 turtles.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It'd be neat if one of the DLC for Spider-Man 2 was Week 1 Spider-Man. And everything's just worse. Your swinging's inconsistent in how it launches you. Fighting combos might send people flying 40' because Peter's not sure how far to pull back yet, you've gotta make sure anyone who falls off the roof is safely put down instead of it being done automatically, etc.

Unrelated, I know I've seen people talking about Batman's lust for blood in how he can't stop killing everyone he fights and runs over in his death tank, can anyone confirm knocking people off roofs? I only remember every Batman Arkham game having invisible walls enemies would slide against.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
As far as I know, knocking folks off roofs was a "only in specific places the invisible wall hosed up and they patched them if found".

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

claw game handjob posted:

As far as I know, knocking folks off roofs was a "only in specific places the invisible wall hosed up and they patched them if found".

I seem to remember you could throw people over a pipe barrier in one of the challenge rooms? It was sewer themed I think.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arkham Asylum allowed you to throw goons into bottomless pits, IIRC. The gave even had a Throw combo move that was cut from the later games, which together made a good insta-knockout/kill move.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah the plant rooms with goons you could knock them over railings to their death. Just one good kick and oop they ragdoll over and the game still registered it as knockout lol.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 13, 2023

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Veotax posted:

Arkham Asylum allowed you to throw goons into bottomless pits, IIRC.

It did, but they included an audio 'splash' sound effect when you did, implying they landed safely (ish) into water.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
At least Spider-Man doesn't kill anyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98UpAhyD3wc

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love how Peter Parker's luck is so bad that even people playing Spider-Man games immediately turn into J Jonah Jameson

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So just randomly today I remembered the suicide squad game. Had there been any word or is it dead?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think the last news was it being delayed like, six months to a year? It's slated for early February currently.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

bunnyofdoom posted:

So just randomly today I remembered the suicide squad game. Had there been any word or is it dead?

They realized that the audience for games-as-a-service is not as big or interested in new stuff as they thought and now they're waiting a few months to see if reality will warp to create a more beneficial environment

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There'll probably be some small band aid type solution they'll have stapled on awkwardly that they can point to in a re-reveal video to try and sell it again. I don't really know what that could be but they'll give it a go to make it look like they've drastically rethought the game over 10 or so months when that's pretty much impossible.

I felt bad for the people involved making it who weren't the decision makers behind it, must be a bummer to slave away on stuff like that and then have the reaction to the announcement be, at best, a collective yawn and shrug and at worst, active hatred of everything in it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No Batman-infused enemies, no buys imo

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It looked like a bad crackdown clone with a splash of DC paint in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There recently was a Mega Man gatcha game, Mega Man X Dive, which released an 'offline' version which removed all the F2P elements and massively increased the rewards so you can just play it without grinding or anything. I fully expect when Suicide Squad comes out it will resemble Dive Offline.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The major difference is that the MegaMan X thing ran for many years and got a ton of content before doing that. I think suicide squad will get 3 updates, then they'll announce end of online service 2 years later. At least it won't get delisted like the Square Enix published avengers

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean the real problem (and why everyone mocked the delay) is that ripping out the microtransaction/live service hell doesn't fix the main issue, which is the premise being insanely uninspiring.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also everyone's guns has about half as much kick as an Overwatch weapon. Doesn't help when our 18 minute gameplay reveal video shows them reloading 3 times to kill one enemy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Gotham Knights is coming to Game Pass next week. I'm not likely to get around to it for a while and I doubt it'd run well on my current PC anyway, but is it worth playing at all as a single-player game for someone not interested in the multiplayer GAAS-esque aspects?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Oh that’s fun, I wonder if they’ve fixed the performance at all. Either way, I’ll give it a try probably