Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

More krampus upgrades, advent-x 10 speed and saint hydraulic brakes. 203mm in the front and 160 in the back (???) I'm coming for those big hills where I just moved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

More krampus upgrades, advent-x 10 speed and saint hydraulic brakes. 203mm in the front and 160 in the back (???) I'm coming for those big hills where I just moved.

My wife swapped to those Race Face pedals and boy will they gently caress the back of your leg up really bad if you aren't careful taking the bike down into the basement

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Chesters are my favorite platform pedals. People give them middling reviews because the seals aren't as good as $200 pedal or the pins are perfectly placed, but they're so drat good for $35.

Getting hit in the shin with one is probably a 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ out of 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ for me.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife was using old school toe cage pedals and did a bike fit and the guy who fit her told her to switch to the spiked platform pedals

anyway the back of my legs are all hosed up now

Apr 7, 2003

She won't do clipless and refuses to even entertain the idea

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
They need to bring back Shinburgers

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Chesters are my favorite platform pedals. People give them middling reviews because the seals aren't as good as $200 pedal or the pins are perfectly placed, but they're so drat good for $35.

Getting hit in the shin with one is probably a 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ out of 🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️🌶️ for me.

Thaaaaaaaaaannk yooooouuuu. These pedals look dope and at the right price for my bike too

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife was using old school toe cage pedals and did a bike fit and the guy who fit her told her to switch to the spiked platform pedals

anyway the back of my legs are all hosed up now

I had to switch to Race Face Ride pedals after slicing up my legs too many times on spiked platforms.

Edit: an actual question.

I'm trying to get my 18 month old comfortable in a Burley bike trailer, but his helmet keeps slipping forward over his eyes. It's a Kali Chakra in size Small, and I've got the adjuster clamped down as far as it will go, but the helmet sticks out too far behind the back of his head and presses against his seat, forcing it and his head forward. Any recommendations for a child's helmet that's closer in shape to a BMX helmet or a skate helmet?

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 10, 2023

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I'm going for a week of riding in the alps (650km and god know how much climbing) next week and unfortunately the weather seems to be pretty grim.
Not that I needed the added challenge, I'm already not very confident about my ability to finish the trip.

What sort of jacket or specific kit do I need ? at the moment I have a super lightweight packable one that isn't very breathable and I use more for emergency.

I have this
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-long-sleeved-showerproof-road-cycling-jacket-racer-ultralight/_/R-p-305439

I'm bringing some neoprene shoes cover and half shoes, leg warmers, winter tight, cap, tons of chamy cream, long gloves in case it get even worse. Not sure what else I need really.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Aug 10, 2023

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Krogort posted:

I'm going for a week of riding in the alps (650km and god know how much climbing) next week and unfortunately the weather seems to be pretty grim.
Not that I needed the added challenge, I'm already not very confident about my ability to finish the trip.

What sort of jacket or specific kit do I need ? at the moment I have a super lightweight packable one that isn't very breathable and I use more for emergency.

I have this
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-long-sleeved-showerproof-road-cycling-jacket-racer-ultralight/_/R-p-305439

I'm bringing some neoprene shoes cover and half shoes, leg warmers, winter tight, cap, tons of chamy cream, long gloves in case it get even worse. Not sure what else I need really.

It sort of depends on how high you’re going and for how long. In the mountains that thunderstorm warning could be a heavy downpour for half an hour and fine for the rest of the day, or it could be pouring all day.

The altitude will impact temps also. You don’t want to be wearing full winter gear if it’s warm and humid, even if it’s wet.

Are you touring? Or based from the same place daily.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

It sort of depends on how high you’re going and for how long. In the mountains that thunderstorm warning could be a heavy downpour for half an hour and fine for the rest of the day, or it could be pouring all day.

The altitude will impact temps also. You don’t want to be wearing full winter gear if it’s warm and humid, even if it’s wet.

Are you touring? Or based from the same place daily.

Touring for 6 days but not carrying my stuff, we have a van that move our gear from stop to stop.
So I am quite flexible in what I can bring and chose what to wear on the day based on the weather forecast (which is why i'm bringing some winter kit just in case).

Apr 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

They need to bring back Shinburgers

Those must be some good-rear end pedals

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

Used bike shop nearby has a Ribble R872 for $1k. Anyone have any experience with them? Seems to be a pretty decent deal and I'll probably check it out over the weekend, but not a brand I'm familiar with. Looking to get an actual road bike but not completely break the bank.

Ribble is a UK brand and I have their steel road and alu CGR bikes. Can recommend

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I cracked the frame of my favorite bike on Ragbrai this year. A Giant OCR A1 endurance road bike. It wasn't my best bike, but I've had it for 17 years since new and I really loved it. I'm pretty bummed about breaking it.

However, there are 2 silver linings:
1) Since I was the original owner, even 17 years later, Giant honored the lifetime frame warranty to the tune of a $737 credit, or 20% off a new bike. Pretty good considering I bought it for $1500 and the whole thing was pretty worn out at this point.
2) It gives me a chance to make my bike stable make more sense. Like I said, it was an endurance road bike, and last year with the help of this thread, I purchased another, more expensive Cannondale Synapse.... endurance road bike.

So I'm looking for a bike for a specific niche that the old bike filled. It was my around town bike. I live in a small, very bike friendly city, which is laid out in such a way that I don't really have to drive and can bike to wherever I need. My Cannondale has Look Keo pedals, so that's the bike I take when I'm getting all kitted out and riding the countryside for fun. But it doesn't exactly make for a good errands bike. I'd also like to do some longer bike touring, both on roads, and on the many packed limestone rails-to-trails around here, with bikepacking bags, so I'm looking for something with enough heft, and enough braze-ons to handle a load, while still being fairly quick unloaded. Lastly, I also much prefer drop bars to flat bars (flat bars without much sweep tend to hurt my wrists after a while).

All that to say I'm thinking a gravel bike. I know that's not hugely different from an endurance road bike, and I said I wanted to diversify, but I think it fits what I'm looking for.

Before hearing back from the bike shop on the warranty, I assumed the credit would be only for other Giant bikes (which I would have been fine with, I enjoyed my Giant a lot), but it's just generic store credit that I can use for just about anything. It's a big bike shop and they can get pretty much any brand.

So all of that long story is to say: If you had, I dunno, $3-5000 for a gravel/touring bike, what would you look at? I wasn't expecting to be in the market so soon, so I haven't done a ton of research yet. I rented a Trek Checkpoint for a week that I really liked riding. I've never ridden one, but if I wanted something a bit more touring focused, I've heard good things about Salsa Cutthroats, and that's what all the GDMBR racers use. I don't anticipate entering into a bikepacking race or anything, but I could see riding the GDMBR for sure.

As long as I'm being clueless: What's the consensus opinion on 1x vs 2x on gravel bikes? I lean towards 2x, but it's really just familiarity I think. Also, I really only know anything abouts road focused groupsets, especially Shimano, and know very little about SRAM or GRX. Any pointers on what to look for there?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
If you want to go touring, or if your area is hilly, I'd think that a 2× crank is very desirable. Honestly, commuting in my town makes me happy that I have my cheap Escape 3, because short, steep hills I often have to attack with no starting momentum are what most of this town is made of. With a 3× crank, it's totally doable, even on my relatively heavy bike.

As for your ask... I hear Surly makes some good options if you don't mind steel.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Ribble is a UK brand and I have their steel road and alu CGR bikes. Can recommend

Thanks! I went and checked it out and the frame was just a bit too small :negative:

Seems like a really nice bike especially for the price.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

IMO Giant doesn't make any bikes that fit the "good town bike" bill.

The Revolt is a good gravel/bikepacking bike, but it's got limited fender capacity, and I just can't bring myself to consider a carbon fiber bike as a town bike.

Apr 7, 2003

Revolt? More like Revolting

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Breezer Doppler?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
All City Space Horse or Gorilla Monsoon. Or some sort of Surly. QBP carries them so your shop should be able to order something

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
RIP to All City, QBP announced they're shutting it down after the 2024 models.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

tildes posted:

Does anyone have recs for a bar tape which looks like this but is not $50? https://supacaz.com/product/bling-tape-oil-slick-w-oil-slick-plugs/

I realize this tape is maybe not objectively attractive but for whatever reason making my bike look like a counter strike skin rly appeals to me

E: some cheaper versions like this https://a.co/d/eGsf4nU and some Ali express ones out there actually. Curious if there are specific manufacturers people like for bar tape though

It also seems like they ditched the proprietary stem/handlebar setup? That seems like it just makes an already good bike better even than it was

LIV Chameleon bar tape is $32 and looked great on my RAGBRAI friend’s bike.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

So all of that long story is to say: If you had, I dunno, $3-5000 for a gravel/touring bike, what would you look at? I wasn't expecting to be in the market so soon, so I haven't done a ton of research yet. I rented a Trek Checkpoint for a week that I really liked riding. I've never ridden one, but if I wanted something a bit more touring focused, I've heard good things about Salsa Cutthroats, and that's what all the GDMBR racers use. I don't anticipate entering into a bikepacking race or anything, but I could see riding the GDMBR for sure.

Have a look at the Croix De Fer if you can source one where you live. I've got one with GRX 1x for commuting and running errands but I think if I was doing more touring I'd have got a 2x. There are 3 frame options (steel, nicer steel and titanium), you can spec a carbon fork on all of them if you want and there are loads of mount points everywhere.

https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-50-vargn21070

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Safety Dance posted:

I had to switch to Race Face Ride pedals after slicing up my legs too many times on spiked platforms.

Edit: an actual question.

I'm trying to get my 18 month old comfortable in a Burley bike trailer, but his helmet keeps slipping forward over his eyes. It's a Kali Chakra in size Small, and I've got the adjuster clamped down as far as it will go, but the helmet sticks out too far behind the back of his head and presses against his seat, forcing it and his head forward. Any recommendations for a child's helmet that's closer in shape to a BMX helmet or a skate helmet?

The one that looks like a teddy bear, I think it's Schwinn brand. Multiple goon approved.

I took 2 bath towels and folded them up, one on the seat and one behind my kid's back. That lifted her head up into the less supported part of the back where a toddler's head rests, and away from the seat back a little. Probably not an approved method but her 5 point still was snug and she was stable.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

5W ftp reveal

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

The one that looks like a teddy bear, I think it's Schwinn brand. Multiple goon approved.

I took 2 bath towels and folded them up, one on the seat and one behind my kid's back. That lifted her head up into the less supported part of the back where a toddler's head rests, and away from the seat back a little. Probably not an approved method but her 5 point still was snug and she was stable.

I'll have to try that, thanks! My guy is pretty big for 18 months old so the towel under the seat might not be necessary.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Got an extremely nice tow by an e-cargo bike along a long flat cycleway this morning. The thing was nuts, dude was sitting bolt upright wearing jeans and a leather jacket holding around 40 kph with no tailwind, had a nice little co-operative bike train going.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Because of the weather this weekend, I planned a long ride today after my half-day at work. Last time, it was a 69 mile ride (the Nice Metric Century); today, just 55 miles. I didn't get to start until 1 PM, when the temperature was 90° F. At the trailhead, there were no other cars, but a woman about my age who was riding a tri bike was filling her water bottles, and she called out to me.

"I thought I was crazy for riding today in this heat, and you're just starting?" (Turned out she was a little bit away from her 4 hour goal.)

"Yeah, I worked today. Got a 50-ish miler planned."

She asked where I was going, and I described my route. "Back from Staunton? With this wind?"

Now, I wasn't worried, because most of that trip is slightly downhill. So, who cares about a headwind? Besides, I had snacks, and had planned when to eat them. Well, the last 20 miles were an absurdly difficult slog. No shade for long stretches; a strong, hot headwind; and by then, it was into the mid-90°s. I went through two bottles full of sports drink and three of water.

I'm... an idiot.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

brand engager posted:

5W ftp reveal

:yeah: do you plan on eventually upgrading to the two pedal version?

tarlibone posted:

I'm... an idiot.

at least you didn't get heatstroke :shrug:

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 12, 2023

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

corona familiar posted:

:yeah: do you plan on eventually upgrading to the two pedal version?

at least you didn't get heatstroke :shrug:

I probably won't need to if the readings are consistent.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

lol I really hosed up by not doing a FTP test before riding at the watch's suggested power output. It defaults to 200W if you don't have an FTP determined and it suggested I do 130W for a long endurance ride. I'm exhausted
Other mistakes here:
  • rode 24 miles when my record longest is 20 miles
  • average 100F outside in direct sun and 73F dew point
  • ran out of water a few miles before the end

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

brand engager posted:

lol I really hosed up by not doing a FTP test before riding at the watch's suggested power output. It defaults to 200W if you don't have an FTP determined and it suggested I do 130W for a long endurance ride. I'm exhausted
Other mistakes here:

I would murder so many people to have a 73° F dew point on 100° days. But, 24 miles at way more effort than you're used to is murder no matter how you slice it. Keep at it, and learn from all of the rides that end up like this. That's what I'm doing, and it's... working?

My ride yesterday has proved to me that I'm maybe not ready for a century... maybe. I'm noticing a pattern, though. If I try to do a long weekend ride starting after my half-day on Friday, I usually can't get on the bike until about 1 PM, and in my area in the summer, that's the beginning of the hot part of the day (usually at least 90° F with humidity north of 65% at least). Over the next few hours, the temperature goes up to as high as it'll get, and it's humid as gently caress because Midwest. The headwind for the last 20 miles or so was just the fart-scented icing on the shitberg. The only reason I didn't run out of water in 55 miles was because I brought two bottles of sports drink and one of water, and I refilled two of those bottles about 2/3rds of the way through the ride at a planned rest stop.

Five bottles of liquid, and I still had a tiny bit of pee the whole night... and that was right before bed, after consuming a bunch of water, tea, and beer.

I think that this nutty idea of starting long rides in the hottest part of the afternoon is, well, just stupid, and I should maybe start long rides in the early morning like a normal cyclist.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tarlibone posted:

My ride yesterday has proved to me that I'm maybe not ready for a century... maybe.

Bit of a hike for you but the apple cider century in MI is a good time. It's Sep 24 and what I'm currently training for. Doing a metric tomorrow, hopefully.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pirelli are recalling the tubeless 28c P Zero tyres as they have been blowing off wheels. Recall had started in Europe and the US one is imminent. Change them if you have them.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

brand engager posted:

Other mistakes here:

Do you have a power meter?
And you’re using a watch to connect it to?

serious gaylord posted:

Pirelli are recalling the tubeless 28c P Zero tyres as they have been blowing off wheels. Recall had started in Europe and the US one is imminent. Change them if you have them.

Seemingly only certain batches / sizes though.

Oddly that model is specifically mentioned as not compatible / do not use on the Giant website compatibility chart for their hookless wheels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dog Case posted:

It's neat that tubeless has been around for over 20 years and it still has that diy packing tape garage conversion that doesn't always work right feeling to it

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Sure but it's my impression that hookless rims, particularly for road bikes, are more a cost savings exercise for the wheel manufacturer than any kind of performance benefit. In saying that, I got hookless carbon rims for my gravel bike because they were cheap :P but with those large tires the pressures would never be a concern regardless of the tire.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Does anyone besides Shimano make one sided spd pedals? I don't mean spd-sl but the mtb cleat. To be more clear I also don't mean ones that have a flat platform on the other side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ENVE posted:

So herein lies the number one problem in road/gravel tubeless innovation today. Rim manufacturers have outpaced the rate at which some tire manufacturers have innovated, creating a complicated environment for consumers when it comes to pairing tires with their new state-of-the-art hookless road or gravel rims.

quote:

According to Continental product manager, Jan-Niklas Jünger: “[hookless] does not work in our favour and we would certainly prefer to stay on hooked rims as it allows more safety to the end user, however we understand the wheelbuilding industry will push towards hookless-only as it decreases weight, carbon-scrap rate, production costs etc.

“As for now, we would like to recommend all our customers not to use our road tires with any hookless rims, if you are choosing gravel tires we’ve got you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Hah yeah, from reading the Giant hookless compatibility table it seems like Continental has already made a GP 5000 tire variant that they're willing to let Giant say is compatible with their hookless rims, so I think once the big brands start swinging their dicks around the tire manufacturers will give in, but you can see they're reluctant because it's basically wheel manufacturers cost-cutting their process by shifting that cost onto tire manufacturers.