Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Mailer posted:

From a personal perspective, I tried pushing in that production-focused direction and wound up eventually really disliking the game's limitations. Coming back and playing it more or less at what I think is the intended curve has made it a lot more enjoyable

I agree with this take. The game design is opinionated about the scale that production should take and it doesn’t line up with the self-driven goals I would set for myself in a factory game with minimal designer-set goals. The devs clearly built the game so you could meet the elevator production targets, and going further than that is swimming upstream. You can do it, but they aren’t going to help you get there.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
related to the planning tool discussion on the previous page, is there something to help figure up conveyor belt splitting/combining to get your desired items/minute total on one belt? it took an embarrassingly long time to figure up how to get 100 screws per minute on a belt using standard recipes in my initial rotor factory

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zwingley posted:

related to the planning tool discussion on the previous page, is there something to help figure up conveyor belt splitting/combining to get your desired items/minute total on one belt? it took an embarrassingly long time to figure up how to get 100 screws per minute on a belt using standard recipes in my initial rotor factory

I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the question, but wouldn't that just be 100 divided by the output of the machines? Like for screws using the base recipe you could have three constructors, with one underclocked to 50%, and that'd be 100/m.

Unless you're talking about taking a full(er) belt and splitting exactly 100/m off of that which is harder and will require an array of splitters/mergers. I've had cases where I needed to use slower belts on overflow duty to compensate for conveyor length but that's usually a rare problem to solve and you're better off just overproducing by a little and letting it back up.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You have three options really.

1 - Take the combined output and do a bunch of splitting and merging to get 100 out on one belt. (Split out a mk2 belt, split that into two, split one of those into three and route one of these back into the main line, with the other two and the other from the first split adding up to your 100 belt. 120/2=60/3=20, this goes back into main belt, rest adds up to 100)
2 - Split and use a mk2 belt on the output to get 120 out on the belt, and accept the inaccuracy.
3 - Split a belt off and let it back up until it only consumes the 100 needed. This will take longer if you have buffer containers inline, but will work as long as the input is sufficient for the output you want.

Dunno-Lars fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 13, 2023

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Option 4: make more and split the overage into a container or awesome sink and not worry about it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dunno-Lars posted:

3 - Split a belt off and let it back up until it only consumes the 100 needed. This will take longer if you have buffer containers inline, but will work as long as the input is sufficient for the output you want.

Yes, this is the magic of splitters. You can just place a splitter and declare "this is splitting 100/20" and it just becomes true because machines only pull according to their demand.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How do you guys usually handle distributing resources? Balancers in this game seem like kind of a nightmare so if you have mine a feeding production 1 and mine b feeding production 2, making sure that mine a's output goes to production 2 when production 1 is backed up isn't a problem I've really sat down and solved in this game.

Obviously in this example you can just split and merge both into each other but when you're looking at 15 mine-production pairs something more planned out is necessary. I've just been running around splitting belts that aren't moving into belts with gaps every time I see them, which is funny but I'd like to know what the better answer is

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think people either tie each mine to a production line, or use trains to make a global central ore warehouse. But that second one sounds like a bunch of work.

IMO, If your ore is backed up, make more products. If your products are backed up, sink the highest level products until you build a better way to consume them.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

How do you guys usually handle distributing resources? Balancers in this game seem like kind of a nightmare so if you have mine a feeding production 1 and mine b feeding production 2, making sure that mine a's output goes to production 2 when production 1 is backed up isn't a problem I've really sat down and solved in this game.

Obviously in this example you can just split and merge both into each other but when you're looking at 15 mine-production pairs something more planned out is necessary. I've just been running around splitting belts that aren't moving into belts with gaps every time I see them, which is funny but I'd like to know what the better answer is

The general answer is you don't; you instead change your philosophy. Resources are infinite, so there is no such thing as waste. The awesome sink is there to dispose of the excess and give you tickets for cool stuff.

Mine A feeds production line 1. When production line 1's output backs up, you start throwing the stuff that line 1 makes into the trash. Yay, tickets! Mine b feeds production line 2, and if mine b isn't making enough ore to keep line 2 going then you get another mine. When the output of line 2 is saturated, you start throwing that stuff in the trash as well!

Load balancing is for a game where your resources run out. Satisfactory is static -- build a factory and let it keep running forever. When you have new stuff to build, expand and build new factories making new stuff.

For more complicated situations further into the game, smart splitters are in the MAM. They have an overflow setting that can correctly deal with any situation where need prioritized splitting.

for new players, the MAM is where all the early-game Quality of Life stuff lives
smart splitters are in the Caterium tree

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Smart splitters will let you set priority/overflow, but in almost all cases they're not needed.

ninjewtsu posted:

I've just been running around splitting belts that aren't moving into belts with gaps every time I see them, which is funny but I'd like to know what the better answer is

Sometimes that is the answer. Belt length and production that isn't even (like 5 items every three minutes) will, at some point, result in a belt that can be both not full enough and way too full depending on the tick. Evening those is an art and it's specific to each setup so I don't think there's a unified rule to dealing with those. The sane way is to remove one production machine, accept that you're going to have some fraction of a percentage of inefficiency, and move on.

It's much easier to do the math for why your production line is empty/backed up than it is to try to rig up some weird splitter array that balances certain amounts of output.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

Load balancing is for a game where your resources run out and for the brain damaged. Satisfactory is static -- build a factory and let it keep running forever. When you have new stuff to build, expand and build new factories making new stuff.

Fixed.

I have a brain worm that really likes setting up nice evenly load balanced machine setups. Manifolds are the devil.

That said I would never, ever do a factorio belt balancer. I have looked at it and it's not worth it at all. If you run into a situation and are like 'I feel like a faction 4-4 load balancer is needed' you're wrong. Come up with another way to approach whatever you're doing. My load balancing is splitting one belt up between multiple machines. It's never to make sure that x belts all have the same x throughput. That's not a satisfactory problem.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Dunno-Lars posted:

1 - Take the combined output and do a bunch of splitting and merging to get 100 out on one belt. (Split out a mk2 belt, split that into two, split one of those into three and route one of these back into the main line, with the other two and the other from the first split adding up to your 100 belt. 120/2=60/3=20, this goes back into main belt, rest adds up to 100)

Mailer posted:

Unless you're talking about taking a full(er) belt and splitting exactly 100/m off of that which is harder and will require an array of splitters/mergers. I've had cases where I needed to use slower belts on overflow duty to compensate for conveyor length but that's usually a rare problem to solve and you're better off just overproducing by a little and letting it back up.

it's these i was thinking of, and it's entirely for vanity's sake--seeing all the belts work perfectly for the first couple minutes after i turn everything on in a new factory feels good, what can i say

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Satisfactory: accept that you're going to have some fraction of a percentage of inefficiency, and move on

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
The storage teleporter mod is really good if a little cheaty, it acts like a distributed load balancer with any number of inputs and outputs you want per channel/resource. Costs energy and takes AI limiters and some other less expensive parts.

Got tired of stringing KMs of conveyors places or having to completely redo conveyors when I needed to increase production in parts of the line.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

Mine b feeds production line 2, and if mine b isn't making enough ore to keep line 2 going then you get another mine.

i would like to avoid needing to do this when i have other, perfectly good mines that aren't outputting resources due to backups, this is the purpose of my question

you see i dislike long treks into the wilderness spent building belts back to base and would like to minimize this as much as possible. what i have on hand for accomplishing this is the various incoming lines of the exact same resource i need to make new stuff that are already here at the base.

the thing you describe is more or less how i'd been doing things previously and i got sick of it. it really seems like there must be a better way, i suppose smart splitter overflow gates are the best i've got

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 13, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, as long as the answer is “I’m producing more ore than my smelters need” you don’t need smart splitters, you just use regular splitters and accept that one belt is going to have too little and one too much until the too much belt backs up to the splitter and overflows into the too little belt because a splitter will always push out materials when it can.

If what you want is perfect usage where the incoming ore is balanced exactly to output, you’re in for a world of pain. But as long as you’re okay with being exactly one mine over in production, there’s no need for elegant solutions, because normal splitters and merges will be fine for you.

Edit: for actual helpful solutions: build storage containers, route your ore in there and out of there, and you’re limited by speed of your belts. So if your best belt is 240 and you’re taking in 3000 ore you’ll need 13 boxes. Then use signage to remind yourself which are operating at capacity and which still have 30-90 extra you can use for new stuff. Again, belts will back up when taking too much stuff, so eventually they’ll balance out through a normal splitter and you don’t have to muck with smart splitters as long as you’re okay with it taking some time to start up.

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 14, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

i would like to avoid needing to do this when i have other, perfectly good mines that aren't outputting resources due to backups, this is the purpose of my question

you see i dislike long treks into the wilderness spent building belts back to base and would like to minimize this as much as possible. what i have on hand for accomplishing this is the various incoming lines of the exact same resource i need to make new stuff that are already here at the base.

the thing you describe is more or less how i'd been doing things previously and i got sick of it. it really seems like there must be a better way, i suppose smart splitter overflow gates are the best i've got

Due to backups is the bit I think is operative: why do you have backups? If you have one section of factory that's overproducing, why does it go idle and why do you need the extra capacity?

If the answer is "for building materials", then cut back the excess capacity and put a splitter after the production line that directs flow to your storage boxes. Your production will drop and unbalance for a minute after you grab some stacks until the box refills, but over the long run it will mathematically work out the same as balancing the input.

Like, the original question was how do we handle distributing resources, and the answer is I have a plan for where the resources get used and distributed before I even put down a miner. Which I guess is a completely useless answer?

If you don't like plans and do stuff willy-nilly, just use regular splitters and let everything back up until it self-balances. Don't use the sink at all except for byproducts. It'll work itself out.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Zwingley posted:

it's these i was thinking of, and it's entirely for vanity's sake--seeing all the belts work perfectly for the first couple minutes after i turn everything on in a new factory feels good, what can i say

Oh that... yeah you've got a hard road ahead. Especially as the complexity increases it can take hours to reach the point where manifold setups have properly filled and are running 100%. It's the trade-off to using them instead of balancers. You don't get to flick a switch and watch everything get perfectly distributed but you can just plonk down a bunch of machines fast and walk away.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
yeah all fair points

really the rotor factory was peak because i could manage that with relatively little trouble and also use 100% of no overclocked buildings if i committed to 24 rotors a minute. gave up on the building efficiency real fast planning the stator factory

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

Due to backups is the bit I think is operative: why do you have backups? If you have one section of factory that's overproducing, why does it go idle and why do you need the extra capacity?

If the answer is "for building materials", then cut back the excess capacity and put a splitter after the production line that directs flow to your storage boxes. Your production will drop and unbalance for a minute after you grab some stacks until the box refills, but over the long run it will mathematically work out the same as balancing the input.

Like, the original question was how do we handle distributing resources, and the answer is I have a plan for where the resources get used and distributed before I even put down a miner. Which I guess is a completely useless answer?

If you don't like plans and do stuff willy-nilly, just use regular splitters and let everything back up until it self-balances. Don't use the sink at all except for byproducts. It'll work itself out.

i'll be honest man i see no reason to throw everything into the awesome sink, those tickets aren't getting me poo poo after the first 50(100?), i'd much rather not have to make more mines than have a bunch of useless tickets (and needlessly driving up the energy bill, which itself is a "more mines" driver)

i'm a little shocked that my opinion on resource distribution is in such a minority but if there's not a good answer for my problem besides "figure out how to make a satisfactory load balancer" or "dive head first into the larger problem this was meant to alleviate" then i suppose those are my options

i guess on a bare basics level any factorio balancer design can be replicated in satisfactory via industrial storage taking the place of splitters (excellent idea)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 14, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I just got the zipline and the large power towers really breathe some new life into that tool. The big towers with the ladder on the side are perfect for this. I've basically got pre-built gondola rides connecting every major factory with this now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mailer posted:

Oh that... yeah you've got a hard road ahead. Especially as the complexity increases it can take hours to reach the point where manifold setups have properly filled and are running 100%. It's the trade-off to using them instead of balancers. You don't get to flick a switch and watch everything get perfectly distributed but you can just plonk down a bunch of machines fast and walk away.

There's a decent answer to this: build in stages from simple->complex and turn on each stage as you finish it. Then the previous stage is running and filling buffers while you put down the next stage. It also means you have restock of basic materials locally, very useful if you happen to make plate or steel beams on site.

I think load balancers and such take a lot of extra time to build compared to manifolds, since you actually have to think about them. Manifolds are dumb and simple. So IMO the time mostly ends up as a wash -- you either spend extra time before you turn it on, or extra time after.

(Also while a very long manifold might take hours to reach 100% output, it'll get to 80-90% in a fraction of that time. It's a logarithmic growth curve. So you easily get that "ahh satisfying belts moving" even if some machines are still yellow.)

ninjewtsu posted:

i'll be honest man i see no reason to throw everything into the awesome sink, those tickets aren't getting me poo poo after the first 50(100?), i'd much rather not have to make more mines than have a bunch of useless tickets (and needlessly driving up the energy bill, which itself is a "more mines" driver)

Perfectly valid!

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm a little shocked that my opinion on resource distribution is in such a minority but if there's not a good answer for my problem besides "figure out how to make a satisfactory load balancer" or "dive head first into the larger problem this was meant to alleviate" then i suppose those are my options

i guess on a bare basics level any factorio balancer design can be replicated in satisfactory via industrial storage taking the place of splitters (excellent idea)

It's a minority opinion because in the long run you probably do have to bang your head against the larger problem. In upper tech levels the game very much requires going out to get stuff that you don't have where you are.

Satisfactory is in some ways simpler than Factorio (infinite resources, enemies don't hurt buildings) and in many other ways way more complex (number of item types, crazy spiderweb resource flows, distances and logistics challenges). So most people come around to the idea that the factorio way of thinking isn't the right way to think. You kinda have to break things into modules just to keep poo poo straight, and modular design needs firm divisions between the parts.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 14, 2023

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

The initial question was a little odd: You have Prod 1 fed from Mine A and Prod 2 fed from Mine B. You wanted the input feed from ProdLine 1 to overflow to ProdLine 2 when ProdLine 2 didn't have sufficient capacity. The answer to that is a smart splitter, plain and simple.

The splitter isn't your problem, though. The problem is (in the example you stated) you don't have enough capacity to feed Prod 2. The smart splitter only solves the problem if your total capacity from Mine A and B is equal to or greater than your consumption on Prod 1 and 2. If it's not... you need more mines and/or overclocks. The example itself is pretty simplistic and easy to fix.

Now if your broader question (which I think Klyith inferred) is "How do I bring in an arbitrary number of resource lanes into my base then balance them all out against an unknown load of machines?" then the answer is very much "Don't do that". That's a Factorio thing, where your needs are largely unknown so you massively oversubscribe on abundant (if eventually expiring) raw resources. Satisfactory has far less available resources, but they go on forever, so your goals change to planning out the factory first and THEN figuring out the logistics of getting resources there.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think the main difference between factorio and satisfactory in that regard is that in satisfactory you can't just paste a bus in half a second. I'm sure if you ported the satisfactory production graph to factorio and turned on infinite resources, it would look more like a typical factorio base than a satisfactory base. Imo, it's more about how the different games' interfaces promote building.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Satisfactorio

Something like this?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I just unlocked Trains and think I'm going to try to do something with them this time more than just have a loop to get me from point a to b and back quickly. Are people using trains to carry stuff in from across the map being produced at a different factory? Is it just better to build longass belt highways out of foundations to do that same thing? I guess I'm thinking about making bespoke factories closer to some pure nodes on the other side of the map far from the desert then maybe doing sort of a mall setup at my main "home" factory in the desert.

Really loving this update though. With the grappling hook/jetpack combo and large power towers stretched across the map it starts to feel like setting up your zipline network in Death Stranding. Like I have some hyper tubes set up around the map but now it's just easier to hop on the nearest powerline and ride that to where I need to go. Blueprints aren't new for this update but it's the first I've played after they added them and holy poo poo it makes it so much easier to set up long rows of smelters/constructors when you have blueprints to stamp down. I never really cared about aesthetics before in my last playthroughs but this time I've been trying to make an effort to make it look more like factories and not floating platforms with rows of machines placed down.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The point earlier about Satisfactory being frustrating if you go too far outside the bounds of the "intended" playstyle is true, but the sweetspot for it is actually quite wide, and trains are a good example of that. If you don't care about trains at all and just want to focus on your factory layout, you can absolutely skip them altogether and just belt everything. Some of those belts will end up pretty long but it will work just fine.

Once you have a basic rail line up though, adding the next nearby area to it becomes really easy - and stations share power too. I think there are three main ways to approach them, which depend on how you like to build your factories. You can just dump raw ore into stations and ship everything back to a centralised area where you do all your processing. The trains and stations will end up big but the rail network itself won't be complicated. Next would be to do at least the first tier of smelting near the nodes, and ship ingots by train. It's a bit more complicated for oil, aluminium, or for steel without the solid ingot recipe, but for things like basic iron and copper this compresses your trains down to half the size and saves you space in all your factories for that initial tier of smelters and foundries. Lastly, you can break all of your factories down into smaller modular components spread across the map, where you put a factory next to one raw input resource, ship a couple more in by train, and then output the product with trains or drones to the next modular factory that needs them. I would only do the last way if you're interested in setting up trains and signals for their own sake though, because a traffic jam on the railway in the middle of nowhere will break factory modules that are miles away from the jam itself.

That's the clever part of all the various alternate recipes and transport options - there's no single correct way of doing things, and you can trade off simplicity in areas you don't care about so much, in exchange for more complexity in the areas that you do.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

explosivo posted:

Are people using trains to carry stuff in from across the map being produced at a different factory?

That's the general idea, though using them effectively is a little weird. Fluid trains are so bad I'm surprised they never fixed the capacity. Ideally you want to ship goods that are needed in large quantities but aren't feasible to produce locally. Plastic/rubber/aluminum are probably the best cases. If you're megabasing then you can also just pull in all the raw mats.

quote:

Is it just better to build longass belt highways out of foundations to do that same thing? I guess I'm thinking about making bespoke factories closer to some pure nodes on the other side of the map far from the desert then maybe doing sort of a mall setup at my main "home" factory in the desert.

Technically it's better to have the gigantic spiderweb of conveyors spanning the entire map as you get more control over output and they consume no power. As funny as that map would be, trains (and drones!) are more practical at some point. Building rail is annoying and stations always suck, but a worldwide conveyor network would be even more chaotic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks for the help, I think I'll try utilizing both trains and conveyors and see how it goes. I do mainly just want to gently caress around with trains because I like that poo poo but the platforms being massive makes that a bit annoying. I'm in the process of making a pretty nice hub far away from home base to ideally belt stuff to where a train will take it back to the main factory. I know I'm overthinking it I just wasn't sure if they made trains "better" but I guess there'll always be that thing where belts will just work far more consistently for less trouble, cheaper, and almost no potential for something to go wrong.

Another amazing feature that I didn't realize is new to update 8 is the lock hologram/nudge thing. So, so many times in the past I'm building something and either it being so huge or at a weird angle makes it off center or hard to place. Being able to lock the hologram, hop up on a tall building and nudge it into place is seriously a game changer.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Mailer posted:

That's the general idea, though using them effectively is a little weird. Fluid trains are so bad I'm surprised they never fixed the capacity. Ideally you want to ship goods that are needed in large quantities but aren't feasible to produce locally. Plastic/rubber/aluminum are probably the best cases. If you're megabasing then you can also just pull in all the raw mats.

Technically it's better to have the gigantic spiderweb of conveyors spanning the entire map as you get more control over output and they consume no power. As funny as that map would be, trains (and drones!) are more practical at some point. Building rail is annoying and stations always suck, but a worldwide conveyor network would be even more chaotic.

I do hope they'll revisit the fluid cars later after the higher priority changes are in. Something roughly on par with a car full of packaged fluids would make sense.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

explosivo posted:

I do mainly just want to gently caress around with trains because I like that poo poo but the platforms being massive makes that a bit annoying. I'm in the process of making a pretty nice hub far away from home base to ideally belt stuff to where a train will take it back to the main factory. I know I'm overthinking it I just wasn't sure if they made trains "better" but I guess there'll always be that thing where belts will just work far more consistently for less trouble, cheaper, and almost no potential for something to go wrong.

The reason trains are great is network effect.

Moving something from A to B via long distance belts is easy enough. But every time you want to add a new item, send stuff back from B to B, or have a new location C, you run another belt. The 100th time you do it is just as much work as the first. With trains that first A to B is much more effort than the belt, but then every next step is a bit less than the last one.

The huge platforms are annoying at first but you get used to them after a little while. (It also helps to start building everything else bigger to match.)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

explosivo posted:

I know I'm overthinking it I just wasn't sure if they made trains "better" but I guess there'll always be that thing where belts will just work far more consistently for less trouble, cheaper, and almost no potential for something to go wrong.

It's something that comes up whenever I think about this game, to the point where my current run is specifically no trains and drones only. Trains are best for a mass of low-tier stuff (ingots, plastic, etc) but you normally position factories to belt that stuff in locally... which pretty much just leaves plastic/rubber/aluminum as things you need mass amounts of but tend to be inconveniently placed.

The time/effort cost of laying track (not to mention solving bottlenecks, working around all the bugs, etc) is what really murders it. The global transit network that'd allow you to do things like move half the iron on the map over to your pave-the-desert megabase will easily take hundreds of hours to build. Add a large multiplier onto that time depending on how nice you want it to look. A future game I'll do is going to import someone else's rail network to see how fun it is messing with train logistics without the insane buy-in.

quote:

Another amazing feature that I didn't realize is new to update 8 is the lock hologram/nudge thing. So, so many times in the past I'm building something and either it being so huge or at a weird angle makes it off center or hard to place. Being able to lock the hologram, hop up on a tall building and nudge it into place is seriously a game changer.

That's a super sweet feature. On that note, screw jumping on a tall building - use flight mode. It makes placing large blueprints actually practical and allows for way better angles on building without relying on the short power range of the hover pack.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
After the first or second save file just say screw it and import that poo poo in.
I did this on my last startup.
It has its own power to run it and to be fair I didnt connect to it until after I had a coal setup going.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SatisfactoryGame/comments/rrdofp/worldwide_rail_network_160km/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4JfdYai3jM

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZS_qyiLH4

New dev video dropped going over some upcoming changes to the experimental version. Mostly explaining why crashes and hitching occurs with some fixes they're working on, one of the major reveals is that they're adding DLSS support along with other upscaling options which I know some people here have been wanting for a long time.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZS_qyiLH4

New dev video dropped going over some upcoming changes to the experimental version. Mostly explaining why crashes and hitching occurs with some fixes they're working on, one of the major reveals is that they're adding DLSS support along with other upscaling options which I know some people here have been wanting for a long time.

Oh thank god. DLSS will be very nice. The hitching is kind of nuts on certain parts of the map so it's good to hear they're also working on that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yay new UE5.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Full Size 1.19 Terawatt Nuclear Sky Plant

After the condensed 1.19TW plant built with flying cyberwagons and ore drones I was mostly out of ideas for dumb gimmicks. I'd condensed that one because I didn't know if the game engine could handle it at full scale in addition to the gimmicks, and because it meant significantly less work with all the production buildings and reactors overclocked to 250%. Not having any better ideas though I decided to just go for it in update 8 using trains instead of the deliberate handicaps I've done in the past, the gimmick instead being that it would be located in the Red Forest close to the center of the map, high up in the air away from its much-needed water sources. I would also do all production from ores to the final Uranium/Plutonium Rods in one massive factory instead of splitting the project into smaller sub-factories scattered around the map. The resulting production chart looks like this:

Usually these can be made readable enough, for this it was more a matter of working through everything by dragging nodes from the right to the left as they were completed and not even trying to conceptualize it as a whole.

First step was setting up the item mall right next to the build site. Usually I have this wherever my starting base is located, this time it was worth setting up nearby. A single push-pull train line brings me everything up to basic aluminum products all fed onto one belt and sorted out with smart splitters, higher end things like turbo motors were produced in temporary box factories as needed.

I'd made a smaller foundation earlier thinking it would be big enough but had to expand it to include all these train stations. This brings in all the materials for the whole project as well as one of the trains bringing in ores for a full Supercomputer line since I would need to stockpile them for all the reactors.

Floor 1 is mostly that Supercomputer line. This all outputs ~10 Supercomputers/min which is probably excessive but you can make that much with only one standard Oil/Copper/Caterium node and some water. There was a good amount of space still left on the floor which was filled with Caterium Ingot production for the nuclear rods.

Floor 2 is mostly ingot production and whatever simple things are made in refineries:

Floor 3 has the Diluted Fuel Plastic/Rubber loop, the rest is mostly the ungodly amounts of Quickwire needed for the project:

This guy was attacking me occasionally when I was getting supplies from my temporary factories so instead of killing him I decided to build an exhibit and make him the factory mascot:

Floor 4 is mostly Silica and whatever else was made in assemblers:

Floor 5 is the start of the actual radioactive stuff, about half of these are for the Encased Uranium Cells:

Floor 6 is the Uranium Rods themselves along with Nitrogen unpackaging and its related products. Some wet concrete in the back for water flowing down from the Non-Fissile Uranium that will be made above:

Floor 7 is the final production floor. Non-Fissile Uranium, Encased Plutonium Cells, Plutonium Fuel Rods:

At this point I start having to worry about water. The rods being produced will be feeding into 476 reactors each needing 240 water/min. That's 114,240 water/min which I need to transport into the sky. Water is nowhere nearby so piping it that far didn't seem viable and any attempt at a vehicle/drone solution would require an additional packing/unpacking step which would be its own nightmare. This is the train save so I'll use trains for the water as well even if they're trash when it comes to moving fluids. Since the reactors will be arranged into 4 rows (I initially though of doing this as two rows but at that point the plant would be wider than the entire map), that requires 48 cargo stations each with slots for 12 locomotives pulling them. Each row of reactors will have its own track loop going from the water supply to the demand since trying to do anything with signaling here seemed insane.

Those tracks head out to the huge train spirals I posted earlier in the thread. Those lead to what was by far the most tedious part of this whole project, 960 water extractors all piping into mirror train stations of the ones located in the production factory/plant.

Building this was a case of something where you don't really want to continue with it but you've already spent so much time on the greater project that you don't want to abandon it. Took so long that I had plenty of time to think about how this is actually a stupid design and there's a much better way of arranging it with the pipes and extractors feeding directly into the stations in a tiled pattern. Wouldn't have got these pictures if I'd done it the smart way though so it has its bonuses.

All that is sent back to the stations feeding the reactors and organized into groups of 39x4:

As for the actual reactors themselves, the load balancer is set up as such:

252 reactors for the Uranium Rods, 224 for the Plutonium. Works out nicely since each is divisible by 7, so the Uranium is 7x3x3x2x2 and the Plutonium is 7x2x2x2x2x2. Could have horizontally mirrored both sides of a feed line instead of rotating them but liked the way this looks better and they both work identically.

With the whole project complete it's hard to get a sense of scale for how big this thing really is. It extends all the way from the Red Forest to beyond the Swamp. With bladerunners equipped it takes five and a half minutes to run end to end.

This is a shot of the Plutonium Waste storage underneath the reactors on the far end, you can see the underfed water pipes extending far off into the distance:

The first Uranium Rods making their way to the reactors after turning on the belt. You can make out the structure of the load balancer a bit better:

Trains bringing in water underneath:

Trains running up and down the spirals:

Power readout once everything is running:

Skeleton building prior to exterior work:

Radiation footprint after full activation:

There's still work I'd like to do on it but the performance is abysmal at this point, compounded even more by the severe hitches innate to the experimental branch. It was bad when the production stage was completed, got a bit worse when the water extractors were done, and got significantly worse when I then saturated the four track loops with 8 water trains of 12 locomotives/48 cargo containers each. All the exterior work took much longer than it really should have since the game is running at like 3 FPS for me at this stage, task manager has shown the game eating up over 12.5GB of RAM while playing at times. I'd planned to put down some gigantic cosmetic support pylons to hold the whole thing up and make it look a bit more sensible as a real building but I simply can't be bothered to slog through the performance anymore. Just imagine it's some kind of giant futuristic cantilever or something. SCIM is showing me at over 2000 trains, my computer can't handle it anymore.

Also didn't have a chance to really troubleshoot everything as a complete project. Power can hit the full 1.19TW under the right conditions but inefficiencies in the water trains make the readout line inconsistent. Probably need to either split up the train blocks more or it's just an inherent problem with having trains that long, I dunno. The trains stick out of the end of the station when they dock and the unloading animation breaks slightly but it still functions. The rod production undoubtedly has a bunch of inefficiencies in it that I missed, not sure I could be bothered getting all that to 100% even if I was using some future computer that could run all this at normal framerates without issue.

Loading up a save takes about 10 minutes and crashes half the time. Saving the game doesn't take that long but also crashes half the time, either a hard crash to desktop with accompanying error message or a more annoying infinite hang crash where the whole computer locks up and I have to force power down and restart. Here's the save for whoever wants to give it a try anyway, should be available to anyone unless I missed a privacy setting:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/be6oikfopj2pgzunch6g8/Pronto_210823-000026.sav?rlkey=s8z7jrd7n13p6ymvz6zqrxj09&dl=0

This is the end of my Update 8 save, I can't imagine trying to keep playing to actually put all this power towards something. All done in vanilla Satisfactory, no mods, save editing or special game modes used. Gone from mostly out of novel ideas to now completely out of them, all I have left is "I dunno, something with explorers?" Maybe something will come in Update 9 to add some more inspiration.

NoEyedSquareGuy fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 22, 2023

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

free jeremy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love your insane projects. Are you doing this in sandbox mode, or do you actually produce the bazillion items needed to build everything?