Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blackhawk posted:

Hah yeah, from reading the Giant hookless compatibility table it seems like Continental has already made a GP 5000 tire variant that they're willing to let Giant say is compatible with their hookless rims, so I think once the big brands start swinging their dicks around the tire manufacturers will give in, but you can see they're reluctant because it's basically wheel manufacturers cost-cutting their process by shifting that cost onto tire manufacturers.

That ENVE quote is so far up its own rear end with their “we’re moving fast and breaking things and they’re not :qq:” attitude, but yeah I figured that if bikes are coming with hookless rims in any real quantity, tire makers are going to want a slice of that pie.

Conversely, if tires remain cheaper to make for hooked rims, they’ll have a niche for a long time.

It’s a shame that carbon fibre can’t be extruded into arbitrary profiles like metal.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

wooger posted:

Do you have a power meter?
And you’re using a watch to connect it to?

Seemingly only certain batches / sizes though.

Oddly that model is specifically mentioned as not compatible / do not use on the Giant website compatibility chart for their hookless wheels.

Yeah I just got it friday and paired it to my instinct2.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Havana Affair posted:

Does anyone besides Shimano make one sided spd pedals? I don't mean spd-sl but the mtb cleat. To be more clear I also don't mean ones that have a flat platform on the other side.

Not that I can find. I had some on an old road bike but never found out the brand. They seemed lighter than anything Shimano sells now; shoulda kept them. These are technically a platform but the lightest looking

https://www.modernbike.com/msw-flip-ii-pedals---single-side-clipless-with-platform-aluminum-9-16-black

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 13, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Platystemon posted:

That ENVE quote is so far up its own rear end with they’re “we’re moving fast and breaking things and they’re not :qq:” attitude, but yeah I figured that if bikes are coming with hookless rims in any real quantity, tire makers are going to want a slice of that pie.

Conversely, if tires remain cheaper to make for hooked rims, they’ll have a niche for a long time.

It’s a shame that carbon fibre can’t be extruded into arbitrary profiles like metal.

Well thankfully the wheel makers have passed on their hookless manufacturing savings to us, the consumers.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah kind of funny that the first "real" mtb I bought like 10 years ago had some easton ust wheels. no spoke holes, no tubeless tape or rim strips or anything needed.

Tape does work and have some advantages though- aside from making it a lot easier to build wheels and replace spokes etc, you can add a layer if the tire doesn't fit tightly enough. then it will seat easier and be less likely to come off the rim.

I put a lot of different tires on a lot of different rims and for the most part everything works and feels pretty consistent. However there are some brands that I seem to always have trouble with and they are zipp, specialized, panaracer, and wtb. You need like 3-4 layers of tape to get a panaracer to seat on a zipp. WTB tires tend to have tighter beads than everything else and are more prone to persistent leaks. I pretty much refuse to deal with tubeless tires on roval road and gravel wheels.

And yeah I don't have a problem with hookless as long as it's low pressure. I don't even think about it on my mtb but when I'm descending some road on my gravel bike the thought that my tire could blow off the rim occasionally crosses my mind.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Havana Affair posted:

Does anyone besides Shimano make one sided spd pedals? I don't mean spd-sl but the mtb cleat. To be more clear I also don't mean ones that have a flat platform on the other side.

Ritchey had their Pro Micros which were single sided.

Otherwise:
XLC PD-S05
Exustar PR50
VP R61
Wellgo has some as well.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Platystemon posted:

That ENVE quote is so far up its own rear end with they’re “we’re moving fast and breaking things and they’re not :qq:” attitude, but yeah I figured that if bikes are coming with hookless rims in any real quantity, tire makers are going to want a slice of that pie.

Enve, Giant and Mavic used to make both wheels and sell tyres under their own brand name.
It's a pity ETRTO can't or won't fix the situation. But bearing in mind the number of BB standards in the bike industry I am not holding my breath.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bicycles are a strange fringe dimension where standards are malleable and indistinct, shifting imperceptibly this way and that, a place where engineers go to roam free and wild

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Carbon fiber composite can't be extruded at all.

Platystemon posted:

That ENVE quote is so far up its own rear end with they’re “we’re moving fast and breaking things and they’re not :qq:
If you can read between the lines at all it's 100% them not wanting to bother if they don't have to. It's a technically inferior solution.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

move fast and break things (specifically, your collarbone)

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

evil_bunnY posted:

If you can read between the lines at all it's 100% them not wanting to bother if they don't have to. It's a technically inferior solution.

Wait what you can 3dD print carbon fiber which is an extrusion! https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=can+i+extrude+carbon+fibre

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

mikemelbrooks posted:

Wait what you can 3dD print carbon fiber which is an extrusion! https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=can+i+extrude+carbon+fibre

You can extrude a thermoplastic with chopped strands of carbon fibre in it sure, which is what 3D printer carbon fibre filament is, but you could never make a reasonable performance lightweight bicycle rim out of that kind of technology as the carbon fibre strands are necessarily chopped very short and they don't cross the extrustion layer boundaries so strength is always limited by the inter-layer adhesion of the plastic.

You can also do carbon fibre pulltrusions, where you pull a whole bunch of continuous fibers impregnated with resin through a die, the problem with this technique is that A) all of the fibers are oriented in-line with the extrusion direction and B) the extrusion can only be straight. A) is a problem because the fibres are what give the structure strength, and if they're all going along one axis the part with be very weak in other dimensions. B) is a problem because to make a wheel you need a curved shape and unlike an aluminium extrusion you can't plastically deform a composite structure after it's cured.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Did the FTP test this morning, 213W so the default 200W wasn't super far off. I guess it was just the heat killing me yesterday. If/when I do that test again I'm using a trainer because it's hard to stay in the correct power range with wind gusts.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

brand engager posted:

lol I really hosed up by not doing a FTP test before riding at the watch's suggested power output. It defaults to 200W if you don't have an FTP determined and it suggested I do 130W for a long endurance ride. I'm exhausted

brand engager posted:

Did the FTP test this morning, 213W so the default 200W wasn't super far off. I guess it was just the heat killing me yesterday. If/when I do that test again I'm using a trainer because it's hard to stay in the correct power range with wind gusts.

Are you me because I oopsed into a 3x 10 min at 215 watts and thought I was going to die. I do think ftp only counts for 20 minutes per shot? I'm new to this.

I did the ramp test yesterday and it came up with 210.

:iiam:

This was on a trainer so ymmv.

I did calibrate the trainer before the ramp test so I won't know wtf until I try again.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

It's supposed to be the max output you can do for an hour, but it would be rough if you actually went for the full hour.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

LOL yeah it is an hour. Either the calibration was borked or the ramp test was smoking rocks. Guess I'll find out.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The part after the warmup only lasted about 12 minutes for me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

evil_bunnY posted:

Not with an attitude like that it can't.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My bike is making a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the chainstays. Thought it was happening under pedal load but it's actually happening with lateral movement and the pedal load was just a coincidence - it'll still happen if I swerve back and forth without any pedaling. Any quick thoughts for stuff to look at before I drag it to the LBS?

Doesn't seem to be affecting performance at all, I just don't want something dumb to break and kill me. Checked the rear wheel bearing and it seems fine.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
remove rear wheel, check spokes, check everything you can think of to tighten near the rear, derailleur and hanger, brake pads, rotor centerlock, reinstall wheel

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tarlibone posted:

I would murder so many people to have a 73° F dew point on 100° days.

Frankly it’s too muggy any time the dew point climbs into the fifties.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Ritchey had their Pro Micros which were single sided.

Otherwise:
XLC PD-S05
Exustar PR50
VP R61
Wellgo has some as well.

Thanks, the Ritcheys would be what I'm looking for but no one has them left in stock.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

brand engager posted:

What the hell kind of ramp test has 4 minute steps?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

brand engager posted:

Ramps over estimate FTP and to be more accurate you're supposed to do a short effort as part of the warmup.

Pros or very well trained people can hold that for an hour, for most people it's 80% of it at most.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mikemelbrooks posted:

You can "extrude" carbon-reinforced plastic, but the fibers are super short and they don't really mix across layers. There's specialized systems a la markforged that can extrude continuous fiber into a 3d-printed part, but that's not the same as extruding a CFC part (the way you would with say, an aluminum profile) in a way that's relevant to wheel manufacturing.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

TobinHatesYou posted:

What the hell kind of ramp test has 4 minute steps?

What's the normal time for each step?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

A minute. 4 minutes is surprising

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I am at a crossroads.I am debating a full rebuild of an older bike that I feel is 100% a dead end platform but I've spent enough money recently getting a tune up, new tires, and new saddle that sunk cost fallacy is making me feel like dumping money into upgrading wheels and groupset. I have a mid to late 90s Trek 2500 composite/aluminum bike with full period correct Shimano Dura-Ace (I think its maybe a 2x9 or 2x8, I need to double check). Issue is that the teeth for any part with teeth are starting to get rounded, the chain needs replacement and slips constantly in a few gears, the shifters feel like poo poo... Essentially it would need a full groupset replacement. I'd also want newer wheels and tires.

Option two is buy a new bike :v: I am intrigued by a Trek Domane AL 2 Disc or Giant Revolt 2. I like the idea of a gravel bike that is road bike enough that I can putz around town.

Realistically, if I have no maintenance expertise but was willing to learn or have a project, do I bother with a rebuild or just go to new bike territory?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Keep replacing stuff until it becomes the Bike of Theseus. My krampus just needs a replacement frame, wheelset, stem, and bars to make it there.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I am at a crossroads.I am debating a full rebuild of an older bike that I feel is 100% a dead end platform but I've spent enough money recently getting a tune up, new tires, and new saddle that sunk cost fallacy is making me feel like dumping money into upgrading wheels and groupset. I have a mid to late 90s Trek 2500 composite/aluminum bike with full period correct Shimano Dura-Ace (I think its maybe a 2x9 or 2x8, I need to double check). Issue is that the teeth for any part with teeth are starting to get rounded, the chain needs replacement and slips constantly in a few gears, the shifters feel like poo poo... Essentially it would need a full groupset replacement. I'd also want newer wheels and tires.

Option two is buy a new bike :v: I am intrigued by a Trek Domane AL 2 Disc or Giant Revolt 2. I like the idea of a gravel bike that is road bike enough that I can putz around town.

Realistically, if I have no maintenance expertise but was willing to learn or have a project, do I bother with a rebuild or just go to new bike territory?

Can't you just get a cassette and chain wheels for what you've got? If the shifters feel like poo poo it's probably not a mechanical thing but just the old lube getting dry and gunky

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you bought new tires, but also want “newer wheels and tires”, what’s your sunk cost here? The saddle? That’s something that you can probably carry over if you want to.

I’m a believer that old stuff works fine, if it’s working just keep maintaining it, but if you have to replace everything but the frame, that pretty quickly adds up to a down payment on a new bike.

At least price them all out before you start buying and replacing parts one‐by‐one.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Can't you just get a cassette and chain wheels for what you've got? If the shifters feel like poo poo it's probably not a mechanical thing but just the old lube getting dry and gunky

According to my local bike shop, this particular version of the shifters cant really be serviced in terms of reapplying lube. The internet also seems to confirm that after some basic googling. It wouldn't be just the cassette, but the crankset as well.

Platystemon posted:

If you bought new tires, but also want “newer wheels and tires”, what’s your sunk cost here? The saddle? That’s something that you can probably carry over if you want to.

I’m a believer that old stuff works fine, if it’s working just keep maintaining it, but if you have to replace everything but the frame, that pretty quickly adds up to a down payment on a new bike.

At least price them all out before you start buying and replacing parts one‐by‐one.

The whole disassembly, deep clean, re-running all the lines, new saddle, tires, new bar tape, new brake pads, and some other parts and labor was about $400.

E: I should also say that I got the bike for free, so there's that.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2023

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You need a new bike right now. And a nice one too, maybe a mini velo with some weird bullhorns or something.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
If they're older Shimano brifters you can get some extra life out of them by blasting them out with a spray solvent and then blasting them back full of some spray lube.

Also I looked up your bike and I'd be a little concerned about the integrity of those older carbon tubes glued to metal bits type frames now that they're 30+ years old

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Dog Case posted:

If they're older Shimano brifters you can get some extra life out of them by blasting them out with a spray solvent and then blasting them back full of some spray lube.

Also I looked up your bike and I'd be a little concerned about the integrity of those older carbon tubes glued to metal bits type frames now that they're 30+ years old

Fair point about the glue. Its a cool bike but like I said, I feel like I am moving myself into a dead end. I suppose I'm really looking for a decent entry road bike or gravel bike (bigger tires seem nice), like I said, the Domane AL 2 or the Revolt 2 seem kinda the direction I am thinking.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Krogort posted:

Touring for 6 days but not carrying my stuff, we have a van that move our gear from stop to stop.
So I am quite flexible in what I can bring and chose what to wear on the day based on the weather forecast (which is why i'm bringing some winter kit just in case).

Bit late maybe but I have been in the Alps for over a week now with bad weather predictions for the last three days. Every day starts amazing and clear and then the clouds roll in around 16:00. Start early and you'll probably be fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have done both the bike of theseus and rid myself of an aluminum/carbon road bike in the last year. The rebuild saw the 5th version on an aluminum 00s hardtail frame, the hocked road bike was an 05ish Orbea Mitis that was all around good but needed freshening up and wasn't really what I wanted anymore.

Bike of theseus was just as fun this time around as all the other builds and I now have my favorite bike I've ever owned, a 1x8 gravel bike on 650b x 48mm tubeless. Getting rid of the road bike felt good too.

So if you have only one bike, or don't want to have n+1, get rid of the old one for whatever you can get for it and get a new bike. If you want the project and are also open to n+1, fuckin get after it and start wrenching and also get a new to you bike to be excited about. Both are fun. Bikes are fun.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

No amount of money you throw at this old bike will make it a gravel bike.

It might still be rad, but if it's not what you want, don't waste your money.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I've done a bit of bike of theseus thing with a 2011 CX bike, original parts are the frame, bars and stem, shifters, cranks and front derailleur. I think it could easily do another 10 years before I had to do another big overhaul, but if it gets to the point where I have to change the shifters that would probably also require changing so many other parts I'd give up.

My road bike is also 10 years old but much more original, but it's 2x10 speed campagnolo which is already becoming quite difficult in terms of finding replacement parts for as there are far less compatible parts out there vs. Shimano or SRAM. The frame was a chinese direct-from-factory deal and it's pretty rough looking these days so I'd consider swapping all the parts from that bike onto a new frame but given the limited parts availability for campy I'd probably be better off going for a new bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Ramps over estimate FTP and to be more accurate you're supposed to do a short effort as part of the warmup.

Pros or very well trained people can hold that for an hour, for most people it's 80% of it at most.

I’m fairly confident a ramp test with 4min steps will severely underestimate FTP because it will exhaust anyone before they even hit their VO2max.