Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Fart Amplifier posted:

a) it's dictum
I hardly know 'em!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Murgos posted:

I think this is brilliant if she actually does it.

“We need a month to respond to the government’s motion”

*Trump rants about Smith on Fox*

“you have three days so that we can maintain schedule and preserve your clients right to a fair trial”

Yeah this is such an ideal threat my heart can barely stand it. The case run by Cannon is basically forgotten to me at this point. Trump can't run or hide here- the usual tricks just tighten the noose. Ugh, or so I hope.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Look, our whole economy is based on the theory of One Weird Trick, this is just the one that lets you do crimes. Hard to blame the founders for letting this one slip through. In their era anyone carrying on like Trump does would've ended up like Aaron Burr did..

The more serious answer is that this is the sort of thing that you'd expect a functioning supreme court to rule unconstitutional, but the more realistic answer is that state court prosecutions are also available and the federal president can't pardon state convictions. There's a separate constitutional question of whether or not a state court conviction on the president is unconstitutional interference by the state with the federal government, though.

True, but it's a little bizarre to believe that a president can pardon himself of any and all crimes they commit because, hell, why not just go full on full fascism, completely ignore elections and do whatever the gently caress with classified docum...

Oh, wait.

Where have I heard this before?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Main Paineframe posted:

By focusing on the one point that they all wholeheartedly agree on: that Barack Obama Hillary Clinton Joe Biden is the anti-Christ and must be stopped at all costs before he destroys America.

That probably wins you 90-95% of republicans less whatever number are dissuaded by the 1/6 stuff, (which is about how that performed in 2020, it did better in 2016). Doesn't do much for independents though, which republicans really need to figure out a way to win if they want a realistic shot of winning the whitehouse back.

Main Paineframe posted:

The GOP has been wrestling with these internal divides for basically the entirety of the 21st century so far. While it's certainly brought a lot of stress and instability to the party, so far there isn't really any evidence that these splits are consistently ruining its chances. Sure, 2020 and 2022 haven't been so great for the GOP, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare that this is finally the breaking point.

yeah I'm specifically not suggesting it is a done deal or anything like that and I specifically never would. A lot can happen in politics in 6 months, to say nothing of 14 months. this is definitely the most fractured I've ever seen the republican party and while I don't doubt that a lot of them will return to the fold, they need significantly more to come back than they managed previously. Now the divisions are bigger and the gop's war on women, immigrants, lgbtq people are a lot farther along and more overt than they used to be even just 5 years ago and they just galvanized abortion as a defining political issue in the coming elections. If they proceed to nominate trump, then he becomes yet another defining political issue for 2024. it's a lot to juggle and I do not envy having to try to figure that political strategy out. I'm genuinely intrigued by how tf they dig themselves out of that hole.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Syphilicious! posted:

Answer what questions and how? We are quibbling over margins, over whether R voters turned off by the authoritarian implications of Trump's 2024 run outnumber new or returning voters who see a Trump win as an even more explicit gently caress you to The System than 2016, and whether that margin outnumbers the the margin between D voters turned off by Biden's senility and abortive legislative efforts and new or returning voters who see a Trump win as the end of democracy. We will only get a serious answer when some massive event (an actual Trump criminal conviction, some kind of serious public exacerbation of Biden's health/mental problems a la Hillary passing out on 9/11, etc.) causes an unprecedented polling break in one direction or the other, and failing that we'll only get a serious answer on election night. As it stands now, that faultline in the Republican party doesn't mean much at all, and I have no reason to believe that the 40% of Republicans who are sitting on their thumbs and sticking to Desantis or Ramaswamy or whoever the gently caress won't trundle in to vote for Big Don on election night because he still isn't Joe Biden.

That event was Dobbs and the elections have broken 10% to the left of expectations since than. If even half of that remains in the 2024 election, it will be a landslide.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

True, but it's a little bizarre to believe that a president can pardon himself of any and all crimes they commit because, hell, why not just go full on full fascism, completely ignore elections and do whatever the gently caress with classified docum...

Oh, wait.

In a sane world I could squint really hard and see an argument that a president should be able to do something that is technically illegal but in the best interest of the nation or national security. That is obviously a very slippery slope and would be abused (or will be abused if Trump is reelected) now that the other traditional checks and balances on the executive have pretty much dissolved.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That probably wins you 90-95% of republicans less whatever number are dissuaded by the 1/6 stuff, (which is about how that performed in 2020, it did better in 2016). Doesn't do much for independents though, which republicans really need to figure out a way to win if they want a realistic shot of winning the whitehouse back.

The Republican thought processes on that has been,"6-week abortion bans enrage the public. What if we make it 12 weeks?" I'm not worried.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Main Paineframe posted:

By focusing on the one point that they all wholeheartedly agree on: that Barack Obama Hillary Clinton Joe Biden is the anti-Christ and must be stopped at all costs before he destroys America.

The GOP has been wrestling with these internal divides for basically the entirety of the 21st century so far. While it's certainly brought a lot of stress and instability to the party, so far there isn't really any evidence that these splits are consistently ruining its chances. Sure, 2020 and 2022 haven't been so great for the GOP, but I wouldn't be so quick to declare that this is finally the breaking point.

If we ever get ranked choice voting, the resulting GOP split would be something to watch with popcorn as the Big Tent explodes.

Of course the Democrat Big Tent would also fall apart, but I feel it would be more of a deflation...or mild explosion.

Edit to be more on point of the thread: I can't wait to see Trump getting railroaded. Love the threat that the more he's on TV the more the judge aggressively pursues his case. I look forward to blessed silence for a few days or even a week or two followed by Trump just grabbing a podium to scream at the clouds because he NEEDS his attention.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 12, 2023

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
It's better than a mere "do it and the case will be scheduled earlier". Chutkan indicated his speech is not absolute. https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/11/politics/trump-protective-order-chutkan-hearing/index.html

quote:

noting that while Trump’s rights as a criminal defendant would be protected, his First Amendment right to free speech was “not absolute.”

"In a criminal case such as this one, the defendant’s free speech is subject to the rules,” she said.

Chutkan said that “even ambiguous statement from either party or counsel … can threaten the process.”

"The fact that he is running a political campaign currently has to yield to the administration of justice,” the judge said. “And if that means he can’t say exactly what he wants to say in a political speech, that is just how it’s going to have to be.”

"He is a criminal defendant. He is going to have constraints the same as any defendant. This case is going to proceed in a normal order,” Chutkan said.

“You are conflating what your client needs to do to defend himself and what he wants to do politically,” she told him. “And what your client does to defend himself has to happen in this courtroom, not on the internet.”

Starting with this smaller gag order, the stage is set for expansion next week after T :rant: posts.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Starting with this smaller gag order, the stage is set for expansion next week after T :rant: posts.
You continue to confuse the protective order (which solely covers the disclosure of some information received during discovery) and the gag order you've been longing for.

One of Chutkan's quotes that you share has been misleadingly edited as well:

quote:

“Even arguably ambiguous statements by the parties or their counsel- if they can be reasonably interpreted to intimidate witnesses or to prejudice potential jurors - can threaten the process"
There has been significant litigation on the meaning of "reasonably", and it's a hell of a choice to replace the entire qualifier with "..."

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Paracaidas posted:

You continue to confuse the protective order (which solely covers the disclosure of some information received during discovery) and the gag order you've been longing for.

One of Chutkan's quotes that you share has been misleadingly edited as well:

There has been significant litigation on the meaning of "reasonably", and it's a hell of a choice to replace the entire qualifier with "..."

You can bet that when the juries are selected the prosecution is going to ask that they be sequestered. This has two effects.

1) Its going to protect the jury from any risk of tampering or threats against their person.
2) Its going to force the trial to go faster and reduce the likelihood that the defense is going to be able to engage in delay shenanigans.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I would not enjoy being on Trump insurrection trial jury summer camp.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I absolutely would and that's why I would get disqualified.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Robviously posted:

I absolutely would and that's why I would get disqualified.

Actually, yeah, there is a certain draw to being able to personally have a say, but I would just never talk to any other jurors, lol.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

mutata posted:

Actually, yeah, there is a certain draw to being able to personally have a say, but I would just never talk to any other jurors, lol.

I would absolutely suspend my moral compass to lie through my teeth about neutrality and get my way on that jury.

In this fantasy after my name gets out as the lead juror that pushed for conviction, I'd have Home Alone style traps in my house for the waves of angry chuds coming for my head in revenge.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I would accept being sequestered inside a rotting whale colon if it meant I could break the back of American conservatism for the near future.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Scags McDouglas posted:

I would absolutely suspend my moral compass to lie through my teeth about neutrality and get my way on that jury.

In this fantasy after my name gets out as the lead juror that pushed for conviction, I'd have Home Alone style traps in my house for the waves of angry chuds coming for my head in revenge.

Well you just disqualified yourself buddy because the jury selection will definitely inspect your something is awful account.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pauly Shore has already shown us the way.

We have but to take it.

Buddy.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

SpeakSlow posted:

Pauly Shore has already shown us the way.

We have but to take it.

Buddy.

Isn't that more from Encino Man? I would've gone with "say hi to Judge Ito." God why do I remember that.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mutata posted:

I would not enjoy being on Trump insurrection trial jury summer camp.

I love the phrase 'Trump insurrection trial jury summer camp'

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I wonder if the fact I consider Trump the most unprincipled head of state in history disqualify me from Trump insurrection jury trial summer camp? Even Caligula was faithful to his wife.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Lammasu posted:

Even Caligula was faithful to his wife.

And was normal enough to own animals!

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sheesh....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_Duty_(film)

Dead, Pauly Shore deficient, Dead, Gay, Forums

Ed. In my defense it was on topic with the good guy jury tampering.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

cr0y posted:

In a sane world I could squint really hard and see an argument that a president should be able to do something that is technically illegal but in the best interest of the nation or national security. That is obviously a very slippery slope and would be abused (or will be abused if Trump is reelected) now that the other traditional checks and balances on the executive have pretty much dissolved.

Big Reagan excusing the Iran Contra affair vibes

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Guest2553 posted:

And was normal enough to own animals!
Caligula wouldn't try to trade his horse for legal representation. Anyway, my ADHD internet browsing had me looking up all the prophets that said Trump would be reelected and I got to say it's kind of funny. The guy that made the Trump prophecy movie even had buyers regret and remade the movie where the guy just gets treated for PTSD. Pretty insane.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah I'm specifically not suggesting it is a done deal or anything like that and I specifically never would. A lot can happen in politics in 6 months, to say nothing of 14 months. this is definitely the most fractured I've ever seen the republican party and while I don't doubt that a lot of them will return to the fold, they need significantly more to come back than they managed previously. Now the divisions are bigger and the gop's war on women, immigrants, lgbtq people are a lot farther along and more overt than they used to be even just 5 years ago and they just galvanized abortion as a defining political issue in the coming elections. If they proceed to nominate trump, then he becomes yet another defining political issue for 2024. it's a lot to juggle and I do not envy having to try to figure that political strategy out. I'm genuinely intrigued by how tf they dig themselves out of that hole.

Agreed with all this, but the strategy is going to be the same as ever - screaming about the moral panics of the hour and trying to whip up the base into an ever greater frenzy. At the same time, keep doing everything possible with the power they already hold to rig things in their favor, through gerrymandering, voter suppression, whatever it takes.

Of course their fundamental problem is that these are stopgaps, not solutions. They have gone so extreme that whipping up the base now seriously alienates a lot of people who might otherwise vote for them, and all of their methods for loving with elections are either time-limited (gerrymandering can lose its efficacy pretty quickly as populations move around and age) or only serve as an annoying obstacle rather than a genuine block (you can make it so people have to stand in the rain until 11pm to cast their ballots, but if they think it's an important election and/or have a hearty "gently caress you" to say to someone, they absolutely will do that.) And every cycle is a few more dead Republican boomers and a few more leftist young voters.

Republican's real strength is that the Dems fall so far short of what many want from them, but they can't capitalize on that when they cause so much anger, and pose a genuine threat to American democracy, that all the people mad at the Dem establishment still come out because "gently caress Joe Biden, but ultra-gently caress Trump, at least if it's Biden the federal government will just ignore my trans rear end" or whatever equivalent suits.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 30, 2023

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ms Adequate posted:

Republican's real strength is that the Dems fall so far short of what many want from them, but they can't capitalize on that when they cause so much anger, and pose a genuine threat to American democracy, that all the people mad at the Dem establishment still come out because "gently caress Joe Biden, but ultra-gently caress Trump, at least if it's Biden the federal government will just ignore my trans rear end" or whatever equivalent suits.

This is compounded as they also have the Court, which means that even many of the things Dems do when in power get yoinked away. What's that, Biden actually impalements a (narrow) student debt forgiveness? Major questions doctrine says no. So the Dems are further neutered into the let's-at-least-not-make-poo poo-worse option.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

snorch posted:

Well you just disqualified yourself buddy because the jury selection will definitely inspect your something is awful account.

While I do love the idea of the Defense asking jurors if they have stairs in their house, it's probably going to be much easier for a leftie to sneak through than a chud. We have the advantage of not being publicly pro any of the two parties candidates for at least a decade or so.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Georgia prosecutors have messages showing Trump’s team is behind voting system breach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/politics/coffee-county-georgia-voting-system-breach-trump

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Georgia prosecutors have messages showing Trump’s team is behind voting system breach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/13/politics/coffee-county-georgia-voting-system-breach-trump

This strikes me as significant but I’m no Jack Smith.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Oh, wait.

The guy has never won the popular vote and thoroughly lost the last three elections for his party, including one ('22) where the basic political math is that the party out of power always sweeps back in with a vengeance, especially in poor economic conditions.

Yes, much can change, any political party can bungle anything at any time, Joe can die, etc. But even if Trump never serves a day in jail, it's basic math at this point that he's unelectable under current conditions. This is setting aside tea leaves and astrological portents like "Americans hate a loser" or whatever. And there are a few Republican candidates who will probably wait until the day of the nomination to admit defeat because they expect they might slip in under the wire to take his place in the event of an increasingly likely legal catastrophe for Trump. I would honestly be more worried about someone being crowned heir apparent than Trump at this point.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Ms Adequate posted:

Agreed with all this, but the strategy is going to be the same as ever - screaming about the moral panics of the hour and trying to whip up the base into an eber greater frenzy. At the same time, keep doing everything possible with the power they already hold to rig things in their favor, through gerrymandering, voter suppression, whatever it takes.

Of course their fundamental problem is that these are stopgaps, not solutions. They have gone so extreme that whipping up the base now seriously alienates a lot of people who might otherwise vote for them, and all of their methods for loving with elections are either time-limited (gerrymandering can lose its efficacy pretty quickly as populations move around and age) or only serve as an annoying obstacle rather than a genuine block (you can make it so people have to stand in the rain until 11pm to cast their ballots, but if they think it's an important election and/or have a hearty "gently caress you" to say to someone, they absolutely will do that.) And every cycle is a few more dead Republican boomers and a few more leftist young voters.

What I don't get about the current anti trans and drag sentiment is it kind of seems like they are a little late to be protesting that. Pride fests were well on their way to being about as political as St. Patrick's Day. Go to the park, have a party watch a parade. Been doing it for over 50 years. Hell, why not try and bring back anti Irish sentiment while we're at it. GREEN BEER IS UNNATURAL!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah this seems big.

Looks like Guiliani had a lawyer working for him who coordinated with a local in GA to find a way to get at the voting machines and Trump was in the room (at a minimum) for some of the dealing that was going on. So at a minimum he could be convicted as a conspirator here even if he didn't actually say anything one way or another.

CNN article posted:

On January 1, 2021 – days ahead of the January 7 voting systems breach – Katherine Friess – an attorney working with Giuliani, Sidney Powell and other Trump allies shared a “written invitation” to examine voting systems in Coffee County with a group of Trump allies.

That group included members of Sullivan Strickler, a firm hired by Trump’s attorneys to examine voting systems in the small, heavily Republican Georgia county, according to text messages obtained by CNN.

That same day, Friess sent a “Letter of invitation to Coffee County, Georgia” to former NYPD Police Commissioner Bernie Kerik, who was working with Giuliani to find evidence that would back up their baseless claims of potential widespread voter fraud, according to court documents filed as part of an ongoing civil case.
The messages and documents appear to link Giuliani to the Coffee County breach, while shedding light on another channel of communication between pro-Trump attorneys and the battleground state operatives who worked together to provide unauthorized individuals access to sensitive voting equipment.
“Just landed back in DC with the Mayor huge things starting to come together!” an employee from the firm Sullivan Strickler, which was hired by Sidney Powell to examine voting systems in Coffee County, wrote in a group chat with other colleagues on January 1.

Former New York Mayor Giuliani was consistently referred to as “the Mayor,” in other texts sent by the same individual and others at the time.

“Most immediately, we were just granted access – by written invitation! – to Coffee County’s systems. Yay!” the text reads.
Shortly after Election Day, Hampton – still serving as the top election official for Coffee County – warned during a state election board meeting that Dominion voting machines could “very easily” be manipulated to flip votes from one candidate to another. It’s a claim that has been repeatedly debunked.

But the Trump campaign officials took notice and reached out to Hampton that same day. “I would like to obtain as much information as possible,” a Trump campaign staffer emailed Hampton at the time, according to documents released as part of a public records request and first reported by the Washington Post.

In early December, Hampton then delayed certification of Joe Biden’s win in Georgia by refusing to validate the recount results by a key deadline. Coffee County was the only county in Georgia that failed to certify its election results due to issues raised by Hampton at the time.

Hampton also posted a video online claiming to expose problems with the county’s Dominion voting system. That video was used by Trump’s lawyers, including Giuliani, as part of their push to convince legislators from multiple states that there was evidence the 2020 election results were tainted by voting system issues.

Text messages and other documents obtained by CNN show Trump allies were seeking access to Coffee County’s voting system by mid-December amid increasing demands for proof of widespread election fraud.

Coffee County was specifically cited in draft executive orders for seizing voting machines that were presented to Trump on December 18, 2020, during a chaotic Oval Office meeting, CNN has reported. During that same meeting, Giuliani alluded to a plan to gain “voluntary access” to machines in Georgia, according to testimony from him and others before the House January 6 committee.

There's some other details in there but I think thats the most important stuff by far.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was going to post that GA voting system story myself and agree that, reading it, it seems like a huge loving deal even though I'm not sure what the actual charge would be. Attempted election fraud?

I get in debates with folks from time to time who claim that 1/6 wasn't an insurrection but a protest and I ask them "protesting what?" followed by "OK, so what were they going to do once they got into the capitol? What was the plan? The goal?"

I can't see it as anything other than "overthrow the vote" at best and "draw and quarter Pelosi and Pence" at worst. Or some combination of the two. Overthrowing democracy is a practical definition of an insurrection and it doesn't need to succeed in order to be defined that way.

The other thing I stress, when they whatabout me with BLM and Antifa is that those people were protesting things that actually happened. Nazis in the streets and cops killing unarmed citizens and getting away with it. Those things are real. 2023 election cheating is not.

Name Change posted:

The guy has never won the popular vote and thoroughly lost the last three elections for his party, including one ('22) where the basic political math is that the party out of power always sweeps back in with a vengeance, especially in poor economic conditions.

He doesn't have to.

Only 2 Republican presidents in the last 35 years have won the popular vote and, right now, the polls I'm seeing put Trump v Biden well within the margine of what Donald would need to have a chance at an EC win. In a sane country, it wouldn't even be close right now but it IS. Plus, he's running against Biden; a deeply unpopular president that no one is excited with who also has whatever Huntergate Laptop Scandal turns out to be dragging him down (and I doubt that's going away).

Trump got MORE votes his second run than he did his first, despite what we were all able to see and hear and the cult that surrounds him is something I've never EVER seen in a mainstream political candidate.

What states would Trump need to flip? Two out of three of GA, PA and AZ? It appears that way messing with this thing

https://www.270towin.com/

WI and MI are obtainable also. Look at these final vote tallies

https://cnn.com/election/2020/results/president

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 13, 2023

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I was going to post that GA voting system story myself and agree that, reading it, it seems like a huge loving deal even though I'm not sure what the actual charge would be. Attempted election fraud?

Probably conspiracy to defraud the United States.

Domini Cane
Oct 21, 2002

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked.

BiggerBoat posted:

Overthrowing democracy is a practical definition of an insurrection and it doesn't need to succeed in order to be defined that way.

There are some really interesting historical distinctions regarding what defines "treason" or "insurrection." The American concepts are interestingly unique because the US hasn't had a monarch. If you look at British or French historical development of the concepts of "treason" it is interesting how the legal concepts changed over time.

My favorite "wild card" legal violation for the January 6th event would be "Hostage Taking" under 18 U.S.C. 1203.

quote:

18 U.S. Code § 1203 - Hostage taking
Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, whoever, whether inside or outside the United States, seizes or detains and threatens to kill, to injure, or to continue to detain another person in order to compel a third person or a governmental organization to do or abstain from doing any act as an explicit or implicit condition for the release of the person detained, or attempts or conspires to do so, shall be punished by imprisonment for any term of years or for life and, if the death of any person results, shall be punished by death or life imprisonment.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

BiggerBoat posted:

I get in debates with folks from time to time who claim that 1/6 wasn't an insurrection but a protest and I ask them "protesting what?" followed by "OK, so what were they going to do once they got into the capitol? What was the plan? The goal?"

I can't see it as anything other than "overthrow the vote" at best and "draw and quarter Pelosi and Pence" at worst. Or some combination of the two. Overthrowing democracy is a practical definition of an insurrection and it doesn't need to succeed in order to be defined that way.

The other thing I stress, when they whatabout me with BLM and Antifa is that those people were protesting things that actually happened. Nazis in the streets and cops killing unarmed citizens and getting away with it. Those things are real. 2023 election cheating is not.
the goal of the plan to invade the capitol and murder everyone opposed to them installing trump in the white house was to protest
the goal of the people marching in the street where a terrible tragedy occurred that could and should have been prevented is to overthrow the united states government

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lammasu posted:

What I don't get about the current anti trans and drag sentiment is it kind of seems like they are a little late to be protesting that. Pride fests were well on their way to being about as political as St. Patrick's Day. Go to the park, have a party watch a parade. Been doing it for over 50 years. Hell, why not try and bring back anti Irish sentiment while we're at it. GREEN BEER IS UNNATURAL!

What I've heard is that they're almost as surprised as anyone else - they were casting about for an issue that would get people fired up to vote Republican and donate and campaign and all that poo poo, one of the ones they tried boosting was trans issues, and it managed to take off. It's all the same recycled poo poo from the gay panic of 50 years ago just as you say - accusations of pedophilia (Which is especially rich coming from the right), acting like we go into bathrooms to do sex crimes instead of take a piss, yadda yadda.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I was debating Name Change about Trump being able to win in 2024 and found this:

Here's an article showing Trump leading in AZ

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-pitching-economic-wins-arizona-140000269.html

quote:

Biden also traveled to Arizona last week, a state where his 2020 upset win helped clinch victory over Donald Trump and where a repeat match next year would smooth the path to re-election. He used his second visit to the state as president to announce a popular plan to conserve 1 million acres of land near the Grand Canyon.

Yet Arizona poses a challenge for Biden that grows more daunting by the day. Voters he needs to recreate the winning coalition from 2020 have soured on his presidency. An Emerson College poll earlier this month showed Trump leading Biden in Arizona by 45% to 43%. Researchers at the University of Arizona found that as of the end of 2022, only 38% of independent voters viewed Biden in a positive light.

The president’s troubles in Arizona mirror the dilemma he faces nationally. For all the progress Biden cites when it comes to the unemployment rate and job creation, many Americans neither see nor feel it. If anything, they believe life has been getting tougher under what the president has cheekily dubbed Bidenomics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I was debating Name Change about Trump being able to win in 2024 and found this:

Here's an article showing Trump leading in AZ

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-pitching-economic-wins-arizona-140000269.html

Yeah, people dismissing the possibility of a Trump win is setting them up for even worse disappointment if he does.its not remotely unlikely