Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sorry to keep posting this guy, but I finished the base and the throne which means the Magmadroth is completed! onto the rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finished up my warband for Forbidden Psalm

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Verisimilidude posted:

Sorry to keep posting this guy, but I finished the base and the throne which means the Magmadroth is completed! onto the rider

Please don't stop. It's fantastic!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Did these in like an hour and a half

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
My friend brought some figures he'd printed so I could show him how to paint them. Here's mine from tonight:

He made a really sweet beholder, but I don't want to post his stuff without his permission.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That Or(c)k looks fierce, nice!

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm digging the purple and green basing, great work.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Lumpy posted:

I think it needs more value and saturation contrast.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just reads as natural shadow, more glow would help a lot

Thanks, I tried to make there be more contrast but I'm not sure it helped!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Southern Heel posted:

Hey, works for me. Reads much better as the effect you were going for.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Definitely helped :discourse:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Southern Heel posted:

That's super fun, it's like his axe was enchanted by the Grateful Dead.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My desk is starting to look like Uralvagonzavod.

I'm not sure if I'm starting to regret playing an army scale game, this is draining!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks a lot for the different gap advice. Saw some milliput yesterday when I dropped by my LGS so I’ll give that a try first.

I’m also currently looking to get a portable airbrush station with fume hood. Due to my setup I need it to be portable so I can take it down and I need it to have LEDs due to lighting situation and no real available space for desk lamps. Is the master airbrush one on Amazon the main recommendation? I see there’s knockoff alternatives, are they just as good? Or other alternatives?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Flipswitch posted:

My desk is starting to look like Uralvagonzavod.

I'm not sure if I'm starting to regret playing an army scale game, this is draining!

Or a field in Ukraine.

Just wait until you get to glue dozens of wheels for a platoon of BTR's.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What are the citadel paints to buy if I want to be able to wash a black and a white? Like a dark grey I can then wash with black, and then some sort of light grey (or maybe light blue??) I could put over white?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

What are the citadel paints to buy if I want to be able to wash a black and a white? Like a dark grey I can then wash with black, and then some sort of light grey (or maybe light blue??) I could put over white?

Like are you looking for the wash or the base coat?

Eshin Grey for a dark grey. Incubi darkness looks good too but has a green tone.

For the wash you're probably looking at Nuln oil or Basilicanum Grey contrast.

For the white

Celestra Grey or Ulthuan Grey are good near white paints with good coverage.

For the wash probably Soulblight Grey or Apothecary white contrast. For more blue pylar glacier contrast

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My camera went wonky but I painted up some ghouls for Forbidden Psalm... Bonus corpses in there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Paragon8 posted:

Like are you looking for the wash or the base coat?

Eshin Grey for a dark grey. Incubi darkness looks good too but has a green tone.

For the wash you're probably looking at Nuln oil or Basilicanum Grey contrast.

For the white

Celestra Grey or Ulthuan Grey are good near white paints with good coverage.

For the wash probably Soulblight Grey or Apothecary white contrast. For more blue pylar glacier contrast

Yeah I'm looking for like, the off black that isn't true black so you can wash it with a black wash. Or maybe just a nice black contrast. And then some sort of contrast white or something. Sounds like I want Basilicanum Grey contrast and Apothecary white contrast.

For my specific application, I need to paint the armor joints of these imperial fists and I don't really enjoy painting the joints pure black and then dry brushing, and they look like they have creases and ridges I could just contrast.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I'm looking for like, the off black that isn't true black so you can wash it with a black wash. Or maybe just a nice black contrast. And then some sort of contrast white or something. Sounds like I want Basilicanum Grey contrast and Apothecary white contrast.

For my specific application, I need to paint the armor joints of these imperial fists and I don't really enjoy painting the joints pure black and then dry brushing, and they look like they have creases and ridges I could just contrast.

oh yeah just grab black templar contrast for those type of joints

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Paragon8 posted:

oh yeah just grab black templar contrast for those type of joints

This right here.

Depending on how light the surrounding armor is, I'll usually either paint them a light gray and then use some Black Templar Contrast on them (for lighter colored armor, like Imperial Fists), or else paint them a medium gray and use a black wash on them (for darker colored armor). That way they neither stand out too much nor blend in too much with the respective types of armor.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I'm pretty pleased with this so far. I need to clean up some of the excessive chipping in a couple spots, but overall I'm happy. I also need to paint the crew, but after 2 weeks of this model I need a break from it for a little. This is also the first tank I've painted since the Land Raider Crusader was released. I did have to start over once, but it was pretty early on. I'll get some lightbox photos once the crew is done.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Why can’t miniature company simply name their paints the actual colour or pigment? I saw that Dana Howl had a preproduction set of the speed paints V2 and they had simple names like warm yellow, cool blue - and now they have to be ridiculous: testicle pink, dog sick yellow, etc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It would be way too easy to switch to another line if they all had pigment/simple names.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
They can name their paints whatever they want, but Secret Weapon already had them all beat, with their wash that was elegantly called "Baby Poop"

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

They can name their paints whatever they want, but Secret Weapon already had them all beat, with their wash that was elegantly called "Baby Poop"

ah, aggaros dunes

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dunno GW are doing pretty great with THE FANG (also a nice shade of gunmetal imho)

Here's a wip from my Sunday

I wish I had access to the rest of the minis from the Doom boardgame but alas. This guy had been so much fun to paint

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Forgefiend, he is a handsome boy

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Geisladisk posted:

Forgefiend, he is a handsome boy

Well done, the hazard strips are a great touch, love to see them! Ohhh, the mouth might be my favorite part, looks inflammed.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

Why can’t miniature company simply name their paints the actual colour or pigment? I saw that Dana Howl had a preproduction set of the speed paints V2 and they had simple names like warm yellow, cool blue - and now they have to be ridiculous: testicle pink, dog sick yellow, etc.

Marketing. If you want that stuff then get the artist grade paints.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Finished the bulk of my 15mm Orcs Warmaster project.

Boyz

Gobbos

Black Orks

Boar Boyz

"Wolf" Chariot

"Giant" with a Hero for scale

Generals & Shaman

Rock Lobba

Just now realizing I didn't actually paint anything on any of the drat banners. One day I'll learn how to take mini pictures in focus.

This was an experiment in two ways, everything was fully painted with Vallejo Xpress Colors (except the metallics and the pure white highlights). Loved the results and knocked all of these out in about 10 days of painting. This was also my first time using the Luke's APS Ready Base material, and I was impressed. Didn't paint any of the bases before using it and you can't see any black plastic anywhere so coverage is excellent. I didn't blend the unit rank islands with filler like I usually do either, and maybe there's like 1 or 2 stands where you can see them but overall it even hid those pretty well. You don't need his fancy glue though, I just used wood glue thinned with water and it was fine. I will say the models get pretty dusty I guess becuase of the fine grade of the material used so just be ready to blow them off with a compressor or something before finally varnishing them.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have a link to the 2nd edition method of painting Imperial Fists? They don't really look like later editions. Mor orange than brown in the recesses?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Base of Vermin Fur or Snakebite Leather, a million layers of Sunburst Yellow, Sunburst + Skull White in increasing amounts for highlights, glaze with thinned Flesh Wash

Good luck replicating some of those paints btw, there's nothing on the market close enough to the orangey-brown hue that 90s Flesh Wash had.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I am not pulling up the old Imperial Fists to compare but check out this guy on IG, https://instagram.com/david_robotham

Has a great style for Imperial Fists that I feel definitely has an old school vibe to it. Has a how-to pinned at the top of his account too.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
As a break from painting my retro Blood Bowl squad, decided to try painting one of the Star Players for the team: 3rd edition Griff Oberwald.

Still have to do the stripes on the pants, clean up the metals, and fix some mistakes, but this has definitely been super fun! As with other elements of the project, this was all done using Warcolour’s Nostalgia ‘94 range and mixing. Figuring out how to do the gold was fun - basecoat with the only metallic silver, then glaze with yellow ink a couple times to filter the color, followed by thinned flesh wash, then some purple glazed into the deepest shadows and highlight up with more silver, adding yellow to taste.

I get they’re an acquired taste, but god drat do they work for how I’m painting these days.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

This should be the last photo I post of this model! Finished the rider today, which means the Auric Runefather on Magmadroth is completed. :)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

There's been some amazing minis posted this year. That one is near the top

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How might I texture a greenstuff straw hat to look like it's woven of straw? I'm interested in ideas usable after the greenstuff has set as well as before - I could craft a new hat now that I'm learning to sculpt but I'd rather not. Some kind of texture paint?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Woven straw has a very deliberate pattern which is not something you'll get from slapping texture (random pattern) paint on. Your best bet is to just paint the crosshatch lines in if you don't want to get good at sculpting and individually sculpt each woven straw.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

some more fallout minis

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Springfield Fatts posted:

Finished the bulk of my 15mm Orcs Warmaster project.

These look really great and not 'contrast'-y at all - is that something to do with the method you used, or the Xpress paints themselves? Despite being a major Vallejo fanboy I went deep onto Army Painter v1 just before a) AP announced v2 and b) Vallejo release/announced their contrast paint range :( Did you zenithal or drybrush before contrast? It looks looks so authentic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

These look really great and not 'contrast'-y at all - is that something to do with the method you used, or the Xpress paints themselves? Despite being a major Vallejo fanboy I went deep onto Army Painter v1 just before a) AP announced v2 and b) Vallejo release/announced their contrast paint range :( Did you zenithal or drybrush before contrast? It looks looks so authentic!

Don't know about the other brands as I never tried the AP or GW speed paints. I do know the Vallejo ones are described as thinner or "glazier" than the others so it flows incredibly well and blends really easy too. It does mean you might need a second coat for some colors.

Nope, anything smaller than 28mm I just paint straight over white primer. These were just: Prime, block colors, wash with DIY Agrax Earthshade, highlight bone, teeth and metal. Done.

Edit: For reference here's some of my Turnip28 guys that did get a zenithal prime, but were also painted completely with Xpress Color (again except metallics and the pure white on the banner).

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 14, 2023