Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Main Paineframe posted:

But that's just one dude who had a bad experience. The real question is why reporters care about some random-rear end forum post.
Unfortunately, that is a fair amount of online news reporting these days, just repackaging a post on social media as a story. The subject doesn't matter, as long as it will generate clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

But neither article mentions him having trouble using it to commute to work.
The article says "The vehicle compelled him to install two charges – one at work and one at home – for $10,000."

Why would he be "compelled" to install a charger at work at his own expense, if he could commute there and back home easily? If he has to travel further during the workday for business purposes, why doesn't his company pay? They almost certainly have a per-km reimbursement for business travel; with their own charger, it is almost always cheaper than gas, so it shouldn't be a huge lift to convince the company to cover the upfront cost for the charger installation in exchange for a slightly lower reimbursement rate if he travels a lot for work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The article is a bit like someone buying a small car and then being upset that they can't haul all their tools around that they need to perform their job as a mobile construction equipment mechanic. You purchased something unsuitable for your use case and for whatever reason (we know the reason) Fox Business are deciding that is an indictment of an entire category of vehicle.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The guy being compelled to buy a charger at work 100% reads as "I just did whatever the nice person at the dealership told me I should think about doing." The idea of someone paying to have a charger installed where they work is some next level stupidity and makes it hard to not see all of this as a problem of their own making. When I briefly considered a L2 charger for me PHEV the pricing was maybe 2k for the charger itself and to have someone install it but I decided not to bother because it just charges fine overnight via regular outlet.

Mister Facetious posted:

Cream.

Of.

Mushroom.

Soup.

In everything.

My understanding is that the wartime advancements in food prep, science, and storage were leveraged for the consumer market as time/cost saving measures, combined with the exponential rise in advertisements and marketing. They left behind the food of their parents/grandparents for novel wizbang inventions.

Pork chops made in cream of mushroom soup is good though.

Jen heir rick posted:

I mispoke. I meant feet. I'm not good with distances

What kind of weird layout do you have where your driveway is 100 feet from your house? I don't think my entire yard is 100 feet from one end to the other. Even the people I know who live on farms and ranches have driveways that end right by their houses (and barns in most cases).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 11, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Maybe he owns the company he works at? And if he had to drive around for work (like say he was in construction because why else would you buy a 100k truck).

Still it does sound like he just saw a shiny new car and decided he had to buy it without doing much research.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
well actually i disagree with how far your driveway is from your house

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm getting a weird theory that boomer cooking being awful and kids hating it comes from the rise of industrial cigarette manufacture and smoking, and generations of adults as a result having stunted taste buds.

Problem here is explaining the quality of Chinese and Israeli food.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Inferior Third Season posted:

The article says "The vehicle compelled him to install two charges – one at work and one at home – for $10,000."

Why would he be "compelled" to install a charger at work at his own expense, if he could commute there and back home easily? If he has to travel further during the workday for business purposes, why doesn't his company pay? They almost certainly have a per-km reimbursement for business travel; with their own charger, it is almost always cheaper than gas, so it shouldn't be a huge lift to convince the company to cover the upfront cost for the charger installation in exchange for a slightly lower reimbursement rate if he travels a lot for work.

The price is also shockingly high. In high cost of living Northern Europe its possible to have them installed for about $1000, or about $500 after a government rebate in a few places these days.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Boris Galerkin posted:

Maybe he owns the company he works at? And if he had to drive around for work (like say he was in construction because why else would you buy a 100k truck).
He owns a freight company.

Overpriced vehicles are the classic case for overcompensation. High-powered sports cars, giant pickups, or offroad vehicles that end up seeing the exact same use as a normal car. Or even less because the owner doesn't want to risk damaging their expensive toy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Looks like the guy really wanted to use his overpriced toy a lot, though,

Its just he didnt think "off the grid" trips and long road travel trough the country arent really good situations for that toy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SBF actually managed to get his bail revoked for a whole host of reasons, giant play by play from his court appearance just now:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1690061503645229056

But the truly monstrous crime, which shows he needs to be held as he has zero remorse.

quote:

Judge Kaplan: This defendant tries to go right up to the line - his use of the VPN to watch a football game over an account he wasn't authorized, there it is..

He subscribed from the Bahamas and used a VPN as if he were in the Bahamas when he was in Palo Alto and could have watched it on public TV. It shows the mindset. All things considered I am going to revoke bail.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

AUSA Sassoon: The defense has not really engaged with what the least restrictive conditions could be. We have spoken to a number of facilities. Putnam County Correctional Facility tells us they would let the defendant have a laptop

Well that's pretty kind of them!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalli posted:

SBF actually managed to get his bail revoked for a whole host of reasons, giant play by play from his court appearance just now:

https://twitter.com/innercitypress/status/1690061503645229056

But the truly monstrous crime, which shows he needs to be held as he has zero remorse.

Death penalty imo

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

Blut posted:

The price is also shockingly high. In high cost of living Northern Europe its possible to have them installed for about $1000, or about $500 after a government rebate in a few places these days.

Yeah, 10,000 dollars for installing two chargers sounds insane. I have an EV and I just had an electrician install a 240 volt outlet in the garage and got a plug in level 2 charger. Cost me about 500 bucks total, and I can use the outlet for other things if I want. I see absolutely no reason to install a dedicated hardwired charger and I wouldn't be surprised if some electricians overcharge for installing a dedicated EV charger.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Why would he be "compelled" to install a charger at work at his own expense, if he could commute there and back home easily? If he has to travel further during the workday for business purposes, why doesn't his company pay?

I have some bad news for you on that front, my friend.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

why doesn't his company pay?

Lmao at any Canadian employer covering anything ever

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Evil Fluffy posted:

What kind of weird layout do you have where your driveway is 100 feet from your house? I don't think my entire yard is 100 feet from one end to the other. Even the people I know who live on farms and ranches have driveways that end right by their houses (and barns in most cases).

Like I said, I'm not good with distances. It's one standard american lawn away from my house ok. My house is on the side of a hill, and I'd have to build a retaining wall to bring the driveway any closer.

The point is that I'd have to dig a trench and lay cable. Even if it doesn't cost that much, it's a huge amount of effort for a solution to a problem that I don't have. I mean electric cars are a solution I don't need. I don't drive that much, so range is not a problem, but it just seems like it be annoying to own for no real benefit to me personally.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Anyone who lives in an apartment complex will probably tell you that electric cars would be a lot more appealing if they had roof solar panels capable of charging substantial range. Is that capability on the horizon?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

On the car itself? No, panels are not that efficient.
My first gen Leaf had a panel on the spoiler but that was to ensure that the battery never went to 0% while parked somewhere.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

duz posted:

On the car itself? No, panels are not that efficient.
My first gen Leaf had a panel on the spoiler but that was to ensure that the battery never went to 0% while parked somewhere.

Considering you can lock yourself ina tesla, maybe piss baby Musk should think about doing that

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
There are little projects to solar power e-bikes and the profile of the panels far exceed the profile of the bike. Most of those don't even aspire to fully charge while using it, but rather charge up while camping for a day.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Anyone who lives in an apartment complex will probably tell you that electric cars would be a lot more appealing if they had roof solar panels capable of charging substantial range. Is that capability on the horizon?
Nope, and it will never be a thing. A limited amount of sunlight hits the Earth, and the amount that hits a car-sized bit of Earth, even on a perfect day, isn't enough to charge a car.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Solar panels are hilariously inefficient, something like an average of 20% of sunlight converted to electricity. Usually lower in real world conditions. Until we get efficiency up solar panels are really only suited for stationary installations where you can just spread them out and optimally place them to catch the sunlight. They require too much space for anything greater than a trickle charge.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the only realistic idea I remember hearing was one car that wanted to do a solar roof to offset the power used by the entertainment unit.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You could, theoretically, build a car covered in solar panels that could run off just sunlight no battery. But it wouldn't look like a car, carry four people, or have A/C, an entertainment center, smart features (GPS navigation, etc), and it would be range limited to the sunniest times of day. I want to say people have done it but the one I'm thinking of might have had a battery backup.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The amount of resources needed to build a panel to offset the entertainment unit usage isn't worth doing when you can 'just' generate electricity in a more efficient way at a larger scale, even if that is also with solar. It makes sense as something that can keep the 12v battery alive though so the car always has power to things like the locks, connected services that can alert you that the charge is too low etc like suggested above with the Leaf.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Nope, and it will never be a thing. A limited amount of sunlight hits the Earth, and the amount that hits a car-sized bit of Earth, even on a perfect day, isn't enough to charge a car.

Slap some solar panels on this thing and I'm sure it could take you, uh, somewhere much slower and less comfortably than an ebike:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Rhandhali posted:

Yeah, 10,000 dollars for installing two chargers sounds insane.
When I bought my Volt (PHEVs rule) my buddy told me that he was quoted $1500 for an ev outlet and $100 for a dryer outlet using the same NEMA socket. Luckily I had a 240v setup in my garage already for an arc welder.

M31
Jun 12, 2012
The Stella cars would like a word here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_(solar_vehicles) (and the other Solar Challenge cars as well)

quote:

On average, the car's solar array is able to generate more energy than would be consumed by normal daily commuting for most people

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

M31 posted:

The Stella cars would like a word here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_(solar_vehicles) (and the other Solar Challenge cars as well)

The Wikipedia article points out that a roof array could easily charge a house and one or two cars, making the Stella kind of pointless.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

yeah cars like that exist, you just need to forgo any safety or comfort.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Jesus III posted:

The Wikipedia article points out that a roof array could easily charge a house and one or two cars, making the Stella kind of pointless.

I don't think it makes them pointless for people who live in densely populated areas where they can't easily run a power line to a car. A roof array might be better but not everyone has a roof or a roof that gets enough sunlight to put solar panels on.

Plus, if the car can charge more than itself it can be used to feedback clean power to the main power grid or power another car.

Edit: This one is pretty cool, a camper van that is run on solar panels. This one has gotta charge more often and has a huge array but you can live in it. This might not be where cars end up going but I could see it being viable eventually.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stella-vita-solar-campervan-netherlands-spc-intl/index.html

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 13, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jesus III posted:

The reason we are talking about solar arrays on cars right now is because someone asked if it would be practical to have them on cars, because it is impractical to charge electric cars if you live in an apartment.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

gurragadon posted:

I don't think it makes them pointless for people who live in densely populated areas where they can't easily run a power line to a car. A roof array might be better but not everyone has a roof or a roof that gets enough sunlight to put solar panels on.

Plus, if the car can charge more than itself it can be used to feedback clean power to the main power grid or power another car.

Edit: This one is pretty cool, a camper van that is run on solar panels. This one has gotta charge more often and has a huge array but you can live in it. This might not be where cars end up going but I could see it being viable eventually.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/stella-vita-solar-campervan-netherlands-spc-intl/index.html

If you live in an apartment or condo and cannot modify your own building, you either cannot afford a car covered in solar panels, or the sunlight will not shine enough on the car during the day.

I would expect pack & pull battery packs more than I would expect someone to run a line to their car or buy one covered in solar panels that won't get chewed up and spit out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Faster and more extensive charger networks is a far more realistic solution than solar panels that are effective enough to charge from the roof of a car

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sinky posted:

x

No, it's the users who are wrong

Caves of Qud-rear end recipes ITT.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Jen heir rick posted:

I've thought about getting an ev. But my driveway is about 100 meters from my house, so I'd need to run a line out to it. Probably dig a trench. It'd be a lot more than 2000 dollars. I don't think ev is gonna work for me.

There are J1772 extension cords and they're nowhere near $2000.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
Find me an electric car that a person who lives in an apartment can afford, a solar array will not make it cheaper. That's a dumb rear end solution and discussing it outside of some "what if" forum seems like a waste of time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jesus III posted:

Find me an electric car that a person who lives in an apartment can afford, a solar array will not make it cheaper. That's a dumb rear end solution and discussing it outside of some "what if" forum seems like a waste of time.

Hi I’m someone that can afford an EV but I live in a place called a “city” which means I’m in an apartment.

In case you haven’t noticed, cities all over the US are building “luxury apartments” targeting for tech bros and other computer toucher adjacent workers. I bet you most if not all of those people renting one of those apartments can also afford an EV.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hi I’m someone that can afford an EV but I live in a place called a “city” which means I’m in an apartment.

In case you haven’t noticed, cities all over the US are building “luxury apartments” targeting for tech bros and other computer toucher adjacent workers. I bet you most if not all of those people renting one of those apartments can also afford an EV.

Hahahahaha! You ever seen the apartments I'm talking about? Two floors, 100s of units? That's what I'm talking about. Lluxury apartments will totally have chargers if you are paying 3 grand a month (Dallas TX prices, btw I think that's a city), but 1000 a month places won't have that anytime soon and some bartender can't afford an EV. I'm sure you'll bring up bar tenders that make a million a year.