Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

In Baldurs Gate 3 you can not only pet the dog and talk to him using magic, you can also play fetch with him using game mechanics.

Also, it was a bit of an adjustment going down to a party of four after the previous games' six, especially because all of the companions are cool and intriguing, but it's easyish to swap them whe needed and most importantly, you're still involved with their stories even when they're not adventuring with you. I'm playing a warlock/sorcerer with high dex and charisma (and sleight of hand) so I just travel with the cleric and the barbarian and all the roles are filled, leaving me free to swap out the fourth as needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Taeke posted:

In Baldurs Gate 3 you can not only pet the dog and talk to him using magic, you can also play fetch with him using game mechanics.

Also, it was a bit of an adjustment going down to a party of four after the previous games' six, especially because all of the companions are cool and intriguing, but it's easyish to swap them whe needed and most importantly, you're still involved with their stories even when they're not adventuring with you. I'm playing a warlock/sorcerer with high dex and charisma (and sleight of hand) so I just travel with the cleric and the barbarian and all the roles are filled, leaving me free to swap out the fourth as needed.

The ball allows you to summon him as a familiar

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Been replaying the surge and just beat the DLC. Didn't notice on previous playthroughs but the music for the carbon cat fight takes its main motif from holst's mars and it's :discourse:

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Clash: Artifacts of Chaos has much better voice acting and direction than previous games in the series. So it is very endearing when a particular character from the previous games shows up and he still sounds exactly the same with his goofy Dr. Claw voice and awkward speech patterns. Excellent dedication to continuity.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Finally getting round to playing Prey (2017) and realising that yes, it is Little Things In Games: The Game.

I spent ten minutes climbing on objects and trying to build piles of boxes in order to get up to the ceiling of a room where I knew an item was hidden before realising for like the tenth time oh wait I've got the gloo gun and just making my own stairs up there. Love it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The GLOO gun is so versatile! You don't need the standard Arkane blink ability, because you can put blobs of Gelifoam Lattice everywhere.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Taeke posted:

Even better: You can not only respec your own player character at any point, but also all your companions. So if you really like the vibe of a particular companion but don't get much out of their class, just switch em around to something more fitting. I'm playing a druid and found the cleric character to be a bit redundant with that, so I simply turned her into a paladin and now she's really pulling her weight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Taking the warlock and turning him into a bard, even as his warlock pact continues to gently caress him up. This is what you could have been doing instead, Wyll!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I woke up with Asterion hovering over me trying to suck my blood, so I stabbed him in the heart with a wooden spike and now he's dead as poo poo.

Game rules

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Vic posted:

I woke up with Asterion hovering over me trying to suck my blood, so I stabbed him in the heart with a wooden spike and now he's dead as poo poo.

Game rules

Well that was just rude... You hogging all the blood, while good old Asterion is starving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

marshmallow creep posted:

Taking the warlock and turning him into a bard, even as his warlock pact continues to gently caress him up. This is what you could have been doing instead, Wyll!

I think this is how you invent punk rock.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

bg3 sounds rad. anyone playing it on ps5? how’s the performance?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like that you can pick up the various containers in the world and also put stuff in them. So instead of having my inventory full of scrolls or food items, I can shove them in a container and carry that. (In BG3)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NoiseAnnoys posted:

It doesn't come out on PS5 until next month.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Not out yet, they bumped the PC release up a month to get out of the way of Starfield, which isn't a concern on the PS5. Also I assume they can't just change a PS5 release date like they can on Steam, I assume Sony might be more strict than Valve. That or the PS5 version wasn't ready enough to push up.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I suspect the latter, because as much as I love it there's a noticeable amount of bugs and QoL issues.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Veotax posted:

Not out yet, they bumped the PC release up a month to get out of the way of Starfield, which isn't a concern on the PS5. Also I assume they can't just change a PS5 release date like they can on Steam, I assume Sony might be more strict than Valve. That or the PS5 version wasn't ready enough to push up.

exquisite tea posted:

It doesn't come out on PS5 until next month.

ah yeah, i just noticed it in the store and didn't actually see if it was released yet. boo. still probably for the best, since i have things i have to do this month.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

NoiseAnnoys posted:

It does okay on Steam Deck (even if it’s one of those games that’s unfortunately brutally ugly on low/medium because everyone’s hair turns into glitch art) so I doubt it’ll give the ol’ PSquintuple any trouble.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
More Total Warhammer 3, I love the fact that when you make alliances in this game, you now get a limited ability to recruit units from your allies, reflecting allied coalitions fighting under a single banner. This not only unlocks some spectacularly unbalanced army compositions, it incentivizes exploring the world and making unusual alliances.

My current game is a case in point. I'm playing the Vampire Coast as Luthor Harkon, the Pirate King. I took the sea lanes to Cathay looking for pillage and plunder, and discovered that Lokhir, Sniktch, and Nakai had kicked the poo poo out of Cathay leaving Miao Ying and Zhao Ming, Cathay's legendary lords, hanging on by a thread. I elected to make a ton of money by pillaging and plundering the invaders and selling the slightly used Cathayan cities back to the dragons, basically turning into Cathay's hired guns.

Not only are my vampire pirates now allies with fantasy China, thanks to the alliances my vampire pirates now have a front line of Celestial Dragon Guard, Cathay's most elite heavy infantry. The Vampire Coast normally lack for a strong melee front line, but thanks to my peculiar alliance with Cathay, that problem is now more than solved.

The CDG in Luthor Harkon's personal army, however, are probably rather uncomfortable. Because I'm also allied with N'Kari, arch-demon of Slaanesh, and have a Keeper of Secrets in the same army. Vampire pirates, Part-dragon elite royal guard, and giant BDSM sex demons, all one big happy army.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cythereal posted:

More Total Warhammer 3, I love the fact that when you make alliances in this game, you now get a limited ability to recruit units from your allies, reflecting allied coalitions fighting under a single banner. This not only unlocks some spectacularly unbalanced army compositions, it incentivizes exploring the world and making unusual alliances.

My current game is a case in point. I'm playing the Vampire Coast as Luthor Harkon, the Pirate King. I took the sea lanes to Cathay looking for pillage and plunder, and discovered that Lokhir, Sniktch, and Nakai had kicked the poo poo out of Cathay leaving Miao Ying and Zhao Ming, Cathay's legendary lords, hanging on by a thread. I elected to make a ton of money by pillaging and plundering the invaders and selling the slightly used Cathayan cities back to the dragons, basically turning into Cathay's hired guns.

Not only are my vampire pirates now allies with fantasy China, thanks to the alliances my vampire pirates now have a front line of Celestial Dragon Guard, Cathay's most elite heavy infantry. The Vampire Coast normally lack for a strong melee front line, but thanks to my peculiar alliance with Cathay, that problem is now more than solved.

The CDG in Luthor Harkon's personal army, however, are probably rather uncomfortable. Because I'm also allied with N'Kari, arch-demon of Slaanesh, and have a Keeper of Secrets in the same army. Vampire pirates, Part-dragon elite royal guard, and giant BDSM sex demons, all one big happy army.

Sounds like night clubbing in Berlin

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Remnant 2 has a world called Losomn, which is Bloodborne with fae people instead of werewolves. It's completely, unapologetically a Fromsoft world.

It also has the only character I've seen so far give me a quest by needing to keep pressing X to coax more lines out of him. Other characters talk until either they're finished or you come to a dialog choice.

I'm not used to this game being that subtle, so well done, Remnant 2.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Remnant 2 does a lot wrong (like a lot wrong) but I really enjoy that each world basically two different storylines that intertwine and make something like a whole narrative— mixed with the usual vague mysticism aped from From games for this type of thing.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Leal posted:

I like that you can pick up the various containers in the world and also put stuff in them. So instead of having my inventory full of scrolls or food items, I can shove them in a container and carry that. (In BG3)
You can use them to do things such as cover vents, block doorways, trap your friends who haven't figured out how to pick them up yet, etc.

It's also quite funny to pick up the Ornate Chests, because it's your dude walking over to this huge-rear end chest and casually sticking it into their pocket. It takes several of these before you become encumbered.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Zero_Grade posted:

You can use them to do things such as cover vents, block doorways, trap your friends who haven't figured out how to pick them up yet, etc.

It's also quite funny to pick up the Ornate Chests, because it's your dude walking over to this huge-rear end chest and casually sticking it into their pocket. It takes several of these before you become encumbered.

I found a spot only accessible by jumping (to me) so I had my Jump Barb get up there, stick two giant chests in her pockets, jump down and let my rogue lockpick them comfortably. Before yeeting them down a waterfall

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Remnant 2 does so many things right, that what they do wrong becomes very frustrating (goddamn stagger mechanics when I'm trying to help a downed party member)

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

I watched a tiktok of a guy staring at a room full of green gas, throw a pair of old boots directly at a vent, and when they landed the green gas just stopped. I thought that was the biggest-brain poo poo I've seen so far, but this:

Vic posted:

I found a spot only accessible by jumping (to me) so I had my Jump Barb get up there, stick two giant chests in her pockets, jump down and let my rogue lockpick them comfortably. Before yeeting them down a waterfall

Holy poo poo I would've never done that. I've gotta play this soon.

I've been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and the absolute epiphany I had on how to get into the underwater area of the game was awesome. I was completely stuck on what to do besides fight the final boss, and while exploring I realized I never found an ability for going through water, which locks off an area underneath the castle. There's three entry points:

1. Under the drawbridge, where a body of water requires going underneath it to continue
2. Through a well in the garden area of the game, but with a similar problem. At some point you have a body of water with no path across except under.
3. The actual path you're supposed to take: there's a fountain of blood in one of the main entrance halls, and while you can tell there's a gap in the center where Miriam falls deeper in, you can't do anything with it. One of the bosses you fight is Bloodless, a demon who can absorb the blood that splatters all over the place to restore her health. When you get it after killing her, the ability checks the room you're in for blood spatters. This is a useful post-combat ability to quickly restore health from enemy blood (and yours), and it also works on the blood fountain.

I dunno if I missed a huge signpost the game was trying to put up for me, because I definitely missed it, but while looking around at other stuff and thinking about other ways in, having that moment of looking back at the map and saying "God, it's seems like you should be able to do something with that fountain of blood... wait :stare::stonk:" was awesome. :allears:

I'm gonna be so disappointed if the katana I got from my boy Zangetsu, which says in the description "this blade can be used to sunder the moon" doesn't end up slicing that giant blood moon in half.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So many of these mechanics from BG3 are brought over from D:OS and its sequel.

This isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying that you should also play those if you like the idea of this sort of freedom. For example, very early on in D:OS2 you get a pair of gloves that allow you to teleport almost anything and anyone to anywhere that you can see. There are like half a dozen ways to complete the first major quest of escaping a place, and tactical choices in and before combat matter far, far more than your levels and stats.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

So many of these mechanics from BG3 are brought over from D:OS and its sequel.

This isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying that you should also play those if you like the idea of this sort of freedom. For example, very early on in D:OS2 you get a pair of gloves that allow you to teleport almost anything and anyone to anywhere that you can see. There are like half a dozen ways to complete the first major quest of escaping a place, and tactical choices in and before combat matter far, far more than your levels and stats.

I was going to say the same. Grabbing two locked chests and bringing them to your lockpick buddy? Divinity as hell.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
BG3, I throw a barrel of explosives at a group of goblins, and actually knocked the boss one of them down into a pit, where it was attacked by spiders, and then 2 of the followers jumped down as well. There wasn't a way up from there, so they just milled around until I tossed an alchemist's fire potion at them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The best skill choice I ever made in BG3 was giving Wyll the ability to have his main attack spell cause knockback. So many enemies got blasted down chasms or into lava from across the battlefield. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BG3 is a fun game to read people doing things in, as someone not interested in getting it myself.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
It reminds me of the breathless enthusiasm of everyone when Skyrim just released.

things like:

"And then I went down the road and picked up flowers and then I was attacked by wolves and I threw the corpse of a wolf into the face of a bandit and then I shot a bandit and he fell into the river and got thrown off a waterfall and then I jumped and grabbed a butterfly out the air" while the look of affection in my wife's eyes visibly dies.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RareAcumen posted:

BG3 is a fun game to read people doing things in, as someone not interested in getting it myself.

I still haven't seen certifiable proof that the game isn't just an elaborate dating sim, but people certainly seem to enjoy it regardless.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

bawk posted:

I've been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night and the absolute epiphany I had on how to get into the underwater area of the game was awesome. I was completely stuck on what to do besides fight the final boss, and while exploring I realized I never found an ability for going through water, which locks off an area underneath the castle. There's three entry points:

I'm gonna be so disappointed if the katana I got from my boy Zangetsu, which says in the description "this blade can be used to sunder the moon" doesn't end up slicing that giant blood moon in half.

Without giving anything away, you're on the right path. If you are familiar with SOTN, your objectives should be clearer.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CitizenKain posted:

BG3, I throw a barrel of explosives at a group of goblins, and actually knocked the boss one of them down into a pit, where it was attacked by spiders, and then 2 of the followers jumped down as well. There wasn't a way up from there, so they just milled around until I tossed an alchemist's fire potion at them.

I thought I was in trouble when the shaman used lash to pull my rogue into that spider pit, but he landed on the stairs right next to the locked gate and just cracked the door open and ran out... releasing the giant spiders on the rest of the compound. Turns out the goblins will ignore my guys so they can fight the spiders when they get loose, even as the zombie from my animate dead spell is actively turning them into more zombies.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I haven't seen anyone post that you can dual wield salami in BG3.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Finally I can double-fist my salami and play a videogame at the same time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh I think a lot of people have been wielding salami in BG3 if you know what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Without giving anything away, you're on the right path. If you are familiar with SOTN, your objectives should be clearer.

I am not, lol, I've played SOTN once in college without a guide and never did whatever the max % is. I knew upside down castle exists and that one of the abilities in Bloodstained is a reference, but I never beat that one to the extent that I beat the GBA/DS castlevania games

I did 100% beat Bloodstained last night though. Really loved the area you get to after using the katana descriptions trick, the perspective was very goofy but fun. They really needed to give the Accelerate power earlier though.

Turns out that while the final boss was kinda tough, and the bonus kickstarter bosses were complete pushovers, the actual final boss is some random secret enemy on a train. That motherfucker dealt all of my health in curse damage and I didn't realize how bad it was so I didn't save before fighting it. It reset all the apple collecting I did to finish off the recipe quests, and at that point I just washed my hands of the game with 100% map completion but not 100% food completion. :sigh:

I should probably replay SOTN now