Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Viginti Septem posted:

I think you nailed the shading here in this one. Bringing that white point up is a good trick.

Gotta admit, that was just a preset as I was feeling a little done with it. But I gave it more go, to put a personal touch on it.

And now I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread with the same image over and over. Thank you for your good input. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

While I've never had to rip off my own skin and grow a pair of wings in a hurry, I imagine it must be pretty difficult. Unfortunately, this little guy didn't make it. :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Ridgeville-6 by Will King, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nice, really enjoy that one, hot summer nights

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I love pictures of gas stations at night. I want to take my own but I'm always worried the manager or a cop or someone will give me poo poo.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

I guess it depends on the area, but this is in a super small town where the convenience store section was already closed by the time I took the pic. I've been by to take a few photos at night during storms and fog and no one's come to chase me off yet.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

super cool pic, i saw on flickr before you posted it here i think :)

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

The light in these photos, unless I'm mistaken, is all frosty. How do you achieve this, physical filter or post processing?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

The light in these photos, unless I'm mistaken, is all frosty. How do you achieve this, physical filter or post processing?

I used a 1/4 diffusion filter. I first got a full strength Tiffen filter, man that thing diffused light.. and it flared so much!! No coatings at all. Just a clear glass.

I got a cheap chinese Neewer branded 1/4 diffusion filter after that, to get "less" effect. The 1/4 still is quite strong sometimes, I should have gotten the kit with 1/4 and 1/8. I recommend starting with something like that kit, if you want to try the effect. You could also coat a regular clear filter with hair spray to get a similar effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Diffusion-Ci...174&sr=8-3&th=1

Mainly it makes the bright parts of the photo to glow. Depending on strength, they glow more or less.

This is with 1/4 too:

These are with the 1 strength Tiffen:

It also makes point light sources a huge blob..

While talking about effects, to get a totally unrelated effect is to put a phone flat in front of the lens. The phone's screen reflects the rest of the image like a dimmed mirror:

Edit2: there's still one photo with the 1 strength Tiffen demonstrating the amount of glow:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 24, 2023

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Thank a lot, I really got to figure out my filter situation on the sigma ef-s 2.8 17-50 because I also want to do ND shenanigans. That's a good tip on the different strengths of diffusion. :)

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well I’d recommend a set of Neewer or K&F filters off Amazon. They are affordable and good enough. That is a Sigma, yes? With a 77mm filter thread. You can buy a set of 77mm diffusion and nd filters for $100.

Some recommend going straight to 82mm, but in my opinion if a lens needs 82mm it’s too big for me anyways..

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Very cool capture

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I was on our camera club's summer sauna. Camera was mostly dead weight, except this is quite nice!

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

I was on our camera club's summer sauna. Camera was mostly dead weight, except this is quite nice!

That's beautiful!

I've been spending a lot of time in the woods lately.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Some photos I took after visiting the Ansel Adams exhibit at the DeYoung. This is also something of a test of On1Photo Raw, which I'm trying out.

This shot was fairly underexposed; I played around with the midtones, shadows, and contrast sliders. The initial 'AI auto' tone/level adjustment on this was awful; it just flattened everything.

Played a bit with the shadow adjustment here, though not that much.

This one I was seeing what the sharpness tool would do. I also tried the noise reduction but it made the grass look bad.

Test of the spot adjustments. This lens had picked up a fair amount of dust, which showed up most strongly in the sky here. Retouch tool worked well to clear it (there's some I did not fix at all along the right edge of the image, for an estimate of what it was like). This also used the 'Sharp' noise adjustment at a fairly high level, although the JPEG conversion kind of kills that effect.

Did this one using 'auto AI' and left it that way. I think it overdoes things a little (especially the trees) but it's not awful. You can adjust the amount afterward and also see the settings it did, so it's not just an all-or-nothing button. This also has some retouching in the sky.

Tested out B&W effect. I had some trouble using the 'preset' mode and found it easier to just turn on the effect and tweak from there.

This has a few manual level adjustments, and de-noise at a reduced level.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Kangra posted:

Some photos I took after visiting the Ansel Adams exhibit at the DeYoung.

How was the exhibit? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it out. I think there's only one more week left

Kangra
May 7, 2012

big black turnout posted:

How was the exhibit? I've been wanting to go but haven't made it out. I think there's only one more week left

It's pretty decent. The goal is to show him in context with earlier photographers as well as modern ones, and it does a good job of that, though I think showing him relative to Carleton Watkins (one of the earliest photographers of Yosemite) in particular was the best. There are a number of nice shots he took around SF that give you a sense of how he just was going out and taking shots around his hometown. And there's a photo of Georgia O'Keeffe that's incredible; I didn't think of Adams as capturing people all that often, but he does it with the same natural way he captures the landscape.

It wasn't too crowded when I went (and I bought it the day before) so tickets should be available still if it's not over. I know they extended it a bit but I don't know when it ends; I think you're right about this being the last week.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tried to cool down yesterday and went for a walk. Nope, still 25C outside. Oh well. Panasonic S1 with the 50mm 1.8, without grip, was my "compact" setup yesterday.

Need to go out around/after sunset more often.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Ihmemies posted:

Need to go out around/after sunset more often.

I agree because those are incredible. va va voom.

I always find myself between some dumb mountain and the setting sun, making everything pink and purple. I want those golden rays.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

For the past years I have not been out with my camera as much as I used to and most of the times when I have been out the camera have been left at home, I figured that butterflies would be a start to activate me.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

These are drat fine photos.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

erephus posted:

For the past years I have not been out with my camera as much as I used to and most of the times when I have been out the camera have been left at home, I figured that butterflies would be a start to activate me.

beautiful work here

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

If you don't mind, what's the focal length on these bad boys. I can't stop myself from seeing barrel distortion and I wanted to make sure I'm not imagining things.

That being said I love condos and sky, like the gradient you are going for.

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

Pics from this month's local Art Crawl

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

If you don't mind, what's the focal length on these bad boys. I can't stop myself from seeing barrel distortion and I wanted to make sure I'm not imagining things.

That being said I love condos and sky, like the gradient you are going for.

i see it too, especially on the second one. Those were taken on a google pixel 7 pro apparently at 19mm

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I saw some stars and stuff.

perseid meteor shower over the boar's tusk

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ITT: people post competition-worthy photos in the "low effort" thread.

Here's some low (as in: I bent down) effort content from Copenhagen :sun:

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Holy moly

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

drat that's so cool. I was hoping to get some cool harbor perseid shots but got hosed by 100% cloud cover :(

Here's some low effort travel shots (unless you count the physical exertion of a full days hike)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

QuasiQuack posted:

Here's some low effort travel shots (unless you count the physical exertion of a full days hike)

I, too, have visited Manarola and taken photos, but yours are actually good. Nice work!

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

beautiful but this does not look like low effort

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Honestly, this could easily be submitted to APOD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thanks everyone. I couldn't decide what thread to put it in and this seemed like a good failsafe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Went to some small river last friday. 100 years ago it was used to float millions of logs yearly. Nowdays it's pretty quiet...

Bonus: