Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

queeb posted:

i just thing that was a real nothing of a video. not sure why they even released it? i dont think i actually learned anything interesting from it, compared to some deep dives you get from devs

I mean if you don't focus on the game being played it's just two typical randomly selected blizzard employees shooting poo poo in a very natural and comfortable manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
This video explains so much why there are so many shrines that are no where near monsters and run out before you even get to one and why the backtracking is poo poo in all the dungeons. I don't need every dev to beat uber lilith but it would be nice if the people who actually designed the dungeons understood how the game is played and the general flow of game play... Like there is a huge edit cut after they pick up the artillery shrine then it jumps to have already gotten one of the bells. They likely got the shrine and did what every other player does just follow where the monsters where blowing past the objectives till they got to the wall and realized they had to back track to the first bell lol so they edited that out. Insane that these are the people designing this.

Vire fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 13, 2023

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The online response to that video is vile as hell and continues to reveal Gamers don't know loving anything about how videogames are made.

The idea that these two women are responsible for the repetitive and bland nature of dungeon layouts in D4 is so comically stupid I don't know how to begin. One of them is clearly a very junior developer and unlikely to be making any big picture decisions about anything, and both of them are part of a team of hundreds of people. For all we know "Dungeon Designer" is a mostly environmental art job, or one cog in the machine of a whole segment that works on procedural dungeons, and her job very well might have almost nothing to do with actual gameplay design. Moreover, they most certainly would be getting feedback and direction from the actual leadership on the project whose actual responsibility it is to make sure dungeons are good.

Second, they are clearly playing characters that were created immediately before filming this video, and are half focused on chatting the entire time. Who hasn't experienced their brain going into autopilot mode on a videogame while they're in the middle of a conversation, no less one being filmed and about to be presented to the terrible Blizzard fanbase? For all I know they primarily play on KBAM and are unaccustomed to the gamepad controls, I would probably not do much better myself.

The only incompetence here is Blizzard's marketing/social media team that couldn't tell that this video would play in the worst way with Blizzard's extremely predictably awful customers. Even if these were lead combat designers, I wouldn't be caught dead throwing my weight in with the braying of people who are throwing around the term "diversity hires".

Scoss fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 13, 2023

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
My pulverizing Druid got a barber and now the game is extremely boring

Just absolutely demolishing entire pods before they can even react

Nightmare dungeons 10+ levels above no sweat

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Scoss posted:

The online response to that video is vile as hell and continues to reveal Gamers don't know loving anything about how videogames are made.

The idea that these two women are responsible for the repetitive and bland nature of dungeon layouts in D4 is so comically stupid I don't know how to begin. One of them is clearly a very junior developer and unlikely to be making any big picture decisions about anything, and both of them are part of a team of hundreds of people. For all we know "Dungeon Designer" is a mostly environmental art job, or one cog in the machine of a whole segment that works on procedural dungeons, and her job very well might have almost nothing to do with actual gameplay design. Moreover, they most certainly would be getting feedback and direction from the actual leadership on the project whose actual responsibility it is to make sure dungeons are good.

Second, they are clearly playing characters that were created immediately before filming this video, and are half focused on chatting the entire time. Who hasn't experienced their brain going into autopilot mode on a videogame while they're in the middle of a conversation, no less one being filmed and about to be presented to the terrible Blizzard fanbase? For all I know they primarily play on KBAM and are unaccustomed to the gamepad controls, I would probably not do much better myself.

The only incompetence here is Blizzard's marketing/social media team that couldn't tell that this video would play in the worst way with Blizzard's extremely predictably awful customers. Even if these were lead combat designers, I wouldn't be caught dead throwing my weight in with the braying of people who are throwing around the term "diversity hires".

Blizzard has the worst fanbase I agree.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

This is my favorite Blizzard news:
https://www.dexerto.com/business/nursing-activision-blizzard-employees-say-their-breast-milk-kept-getting-stolen-1717345/

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Kashekya posted:

These two are probably the best and most hardcore players at Blizzard.

Imagine if a car company did a commercial for a newly released car. Then the people they chose to drive the car didn’t have licenses and repeatedly crashed the car…and then chose to release that commercial, thinking it would put the company in a good light.

Thats whats happening here.

We've all spent years wondering 'What is wrong with Blizzard' and now we understand everything. Incredible.

After watching this I have become enlightened. Everything makes complete sense now. I miss the old Blizzard...a lot.

D4 is clearly the first game the senior dungeon designer has played. Designed to waste time

Why is it that the game devs never seem like they're the kind of people who are playing their games...?

Have two “diverse” devs on your stream: check
Have devs that suck at the game on your stream: check
Have devs who clearly have no clue how to design a game on your stream: check
Think it was a good idea to do any of this in the first place on stream: check

Seems par for the course for Blizzard these days. Just gotta hit that diversity quota and roll out a minimum viable product and you’re set! Nothing else matters!

Is this a copy paste or do we have the vileness coming from inside the thread?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Those are the top comments on the video. The reddit threads about it are basically the same.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

Those are the top comments on the video. The reddit threads about it are basically the same.

All gamers get the wall

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You guys probably missed the news from not too long ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/08/06/blizzard-culture-sexual-harassment-alcohol/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2022/03/04/activision-blizzard-employee-suicide-lawsuit/
https://kotaku.com/inside-blizzard-developers-infamous-bill-cosby-suite-1847378762
https://tcrn.ch/3fH2nIr

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

So what are the odds that Blizzard cleaning house because of this/the Cosby Room also left the original D4 dev team completely gutted, leading to so many baffling design decisions and other problems?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Scoss posted:

Jesus

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

So what are the odds that Blizzard cleaning house because of this/the Cosby Room also left the original D4 dev team completely gutted, leading to so many baffling design decisions and other problems?

That's what I'm saying. It's a sales/marketing run company in damage control mode basically. Kotick knew.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The only Diablo person I'm aware of who was visibly connected to the Cosby Room poo poo was Josh Mosqueira, who had already quit I think years before any of that came out.

I think Blizzard's long pattern of not being able to retain senior talent probably has more to do with meddling from Activision or some endemic company culture issue ("it's a privilege to work at Blizzard!" or some poo poo), than a matter of cleaning out all the sex pests.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I saw the play-with-a-dev diablo 4 video blizzard put out yesterday... and uh, it does explain a fair bit, and not in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-G3j00RQ1U

lol playing with a controller on world tier one, level fifty, and still can't even do a dungeon. gotta love it when they claim that those working on the game play the game "a lot" internally and live - yep, this video really showed us!

Last King fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 13, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

if you want to watch an dev talk about a game and actually learn something cool and be entertained watch alex's panel from exilecon a few weeks ago, dude is a rendering genius, is personable and fun to listen to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE3MAFGDzWw

starts at the 28 min mark, highly recommend, the dude is awesome

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I feel incredibly dumb for asking this, but what the gently caress are the different aspect colors supposed to represent?

My closest guess is... relative character required level?

I have some perfectly-rolled aspects that are white, and some trash that is blue, and the only difference is the required level? Is that right?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Scoss posted:

The only Diablo person I'm aware of who was visibly connected to the Cosby Room poo poo was Josh Mosqueira, who had already quit I think years before any of that came out.

I think Blizzard's long pattern of not being able to retain senior talent probably has more to do with meddling from Activision or some endemic company culture issue ("it's a privilege to work at Blizzard!" or some poo poo), than a matter of cleaning out all the sex pests.

Wasn’t the game they named McCree after a senior dev on D4? Either way he was so mixed up in it they forced to retcon his name.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ex post facho posted:

I feel incredibly dumb for asking this, but what the gently caress are the different aspect colors supposed to represent?

I have some perfectly-rolled aspects that are white, and some trash that is blue, and the only difference is the required level? Is that right?

I think it's just the item level that you extracted the aspect from, which means, yes, if better rolled a white aspect could be stronger than a blue one.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
Lotta haters ITT.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The best thing about that video is how the responses inform you of the exact people who will stand up in a restaurant and give the minimum wage waiter the dressing-down of his life over corporate-set pricing.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 13, 2023

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ex post facho posted:

Aspects that come off Regular/sacred/ancestral gear.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Overwatch is almost literally corporate art: the video game

it is kinda funny that the game's only been out a few days on steam and already it's basically one of the worst rated steam games ever?

Last King fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 13, 2023

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I saw the play-with-a-dev diablo 4 video blizzard put out yesterday... and uh, it does explain a fair bit, and not in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-G3j00RQ1U

so I listened to this and it seemed ok. after it was over I had a big laugh over this

I thought, having seen who's on camera, surely that's a huge part of this ratio right? so I played it a second time, and watched this time. just spamming basic abilities and dying in wt1 dungeons that they're higher level than. it explains a lot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

Aspects that come off Regular/sacred/ancestral gear.

which, depending on the aspect, is either utterly meaningless or substantially impacts its effectiveness

oh, also sacred and legendary aspects cost more to slap on I guess

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Vic posted:

Blizzard has the worst fanbase I agree.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Ok, thanks, wasn't sure if I was missing something else about them.

I got my first Barber an hour ago and yeah the interaction with Bleed is wild

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I thought half of you fuckers quit D4 to go play BG3 or POE or loving whatever.
Why even bother hate watching anything they put out, it's like you want to spike your blood pressure on purpose just to feel something.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Why even bother hate watching anything they put out, it's like you want to spike your blood pressure on purpose just to feel something.

I'm hateposting, hatewatching, hatepooping, hatechilling, hatemaking breakfast, hatewatching hatetv to hatefall hateasleep...

Don't judge man.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm getting two paragon in about 3-4 NMDs a day. Admittedly it's getting super dull but at 65 I'll give WT4 another poke since everything will technically be -10 just like my NMD 20s.

You're inventing a lot of frothing at the mouth nerd strawmen to get mad at in this thread, they're over in the youtube comments or reddit. Asking two staffers who don't play the game to goof off with premade characters was a marketing mistake. This was a silly video for anyone with even passing familiarity with it. That's all.

I find it more interesting that the premade characters suggest that their baseline for a level 50 Any Class is so weak as to have a bit of trouble with a -1 WT1 dungeon. I wonder what their gear looks like and if the itemization team had any hand in it? It's fun to speculate on what a video represents of how the team views the game and casual play of it. Just fun and just speculation, of course.

Even a casual player would figure out "build resource, spend resource" within the tutorial by the wolf cave(and the level 4 for the spender, I guess!) :v: They really accidentally threw some art team under a bus, and that's at least morbidly humorous.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Hrrrrg…..grrrrrr….AAAAAARGHHHHH

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I just find it ironic you would find it objectionable seeing your favorite game prominently features the DAUGHTER OF HATRED

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Personally I'm smelling the roses I'm level 52 and just entering act 3 of the campaign

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I didn't realize how unfulfilling some of these tasks are in the game until I put numbers to them.

Just killed the Tormented Echo of Varshan and got a whopping 7071 XP out of it at 75..
This is with +5% from the urns. Dumped the other 4 ashes into the bonus hearts level. So far that's been junk too.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

If I hated a game as much as some of yall supposedly hate D4, I would simply not interact with anything involving it.
Alas, such simple concepts are unable to be comprehended by such smooth brains.
Truly a tragedy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

If I hated a game as much as some of yall supposedly hate D4, I would simply not interact with anything involving it.
Truly a tragedy.

Gahhhh….arghhh… Uuuuuraaahhhh!!!!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Truly a tragedy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Truly a tragedy.

I think it's time to put smallpoxjenkins down for their nap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rogue hit level 50 in WT3 still dopamine-tunnel-resetting to victory, and the XP has slowed enough I predict nightmare dungeons are the move now.

A+ would recommend leveling an alt to your taste of 30/40/50 by blasting those goatmen and quill rats to hell and back.