Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl
It turns out that dealing in absolutes is not a wise way to govern (or love your life in general) - who knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Bueno was way way better in the 90's/00's, the queso was actual queso not the ballpark queso at Taco Bell (both are good). It's much worse these days.

I wondered about this. My friends who grew up in San Antonio talk up Taco Bueno like it is the best thing ever. Several years ago I was visiting my friend’s family there and we had breakfast at Bueno and it was… meh. I just assumed it used to be much better, or it is one of those things like regional burger joint chauvinism where the key is not the actual quality of the food but the remembered associations with good times when we were young and life wasn’t all despair and ashes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zwabu posted:

the remembered associations with good times when we were young and life wasn’t all despair and ashes.

this is why i like dairy queen more than whataburger

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

reported

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jalitos beltbuster and a heath blizzard, ain't much else like it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

used to be a great burger joint called Sparky's in Honey Grove, TX and their large fry was a brown paper bag full of fries

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Dairy Queen is the most Texas of fast food chains. It has a completely different menu than the national chain, it's own mascots and they serve THE BEST fast food tacos. Talk up your Bueno (which is fine) or your Bell (great if you quit thinking it's Mexican food), but DQ tacos are perfect.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i might get taco canana this week

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

♫ that's what i like about tex-as ♫

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I don’t agree, but it is close. DQ is always surprisingly good, and Whataburger has no treats as good as a Blizzard.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Growing up DQ's big selling point was that no matter where our poor rear end was driving to in state for our vacation, there'd be one, so every road trip would include DQ. It's definitely best left in the rose colored fog of my memory though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

DQ burgers aren't very good, and while a blizzard is okay, I normally either want a milkshake or harder serve ice cream.

The whole weird thing with them pretending to be Texan is weird both because they're not and Texan branding puts me off of them more.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dairy Queen is from Canada. or somewhere north it may as well be.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

No one else has steak fingers and so DQ reigns supreme

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I don't think I've ever waited for fast food as long as I have for DQ burgers. That said, I grew up going to a really big DQ with an indoor playplace and even had my birthday party there a few times.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Raising Canes is open very late, very useful during the week as I help bring American alcohol consumption back to pre-Prohibition levels. The line is often shorter/non-existent compared to Whataburger.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

DQ burgers aren't very good, and while a blizzard is okay, I normally either want a milkshake or harder serve ice cream.

The whole weird thing with them pretending to be Texan is weird both because they're not and Texan branding puts me off of them more.

I know everyone in here is probably aware of the history but this story does a pretty good job of explaining why they have done it; they basically let Texas franchises do their own thing for a while who wanted to compete with Whataburger, and then it was too late for the chain to take control again.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a texan fast food burger should have mustard standard on whatever the #1 is and DQT passes the test

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

a texan fast food burger should have mustard standard on whatever the #1 is and DQT passes the test

Krystal burger collapsed immediately.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Dairy Queen is from Canada. or somewhere north it may as well be.

Everyone north of beltway 8 might as well be a yankee.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
the big texas cheeseburger at jack in the box was a buck and just had mustard, cheese, and pickles and i don't think i've eaten there regularly since they axed it

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I haven’t eaten at Jack in the Box since my ur-boomer parents decried their now over cooked burgers as an overreaction to government intervention in burger cooking temperatures. Because they served e.Coli tainted burgers that killed people.

The free market demands juicy burgers!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nikumatic posted:

the big texas cheeseburger at jack in the box was a buck and just had mustard, cheese, and pickles and i don't think i've eaten there regularly since they axed it

the rodeo burger at bk was the last dollar hamburger i ever had. it holds a special place in my heart

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

jack in the box curly fries are pretty good

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
any place that has steak fingers is awesome in my books

Actually, did any of yall who grew up in Texas have steak fingers as a school lunch menu item? We had them often in elementary school in the 90s but other people are like 'wtf are steak fingers'

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

steak fries kick the poo poo out of wedge fries, I always keep a hill country fare bag of them in my freezer. never thought of them as a texas thing though

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

any place that has steak fingers is awesome in my books

Actually, did any of yall who grew up in Texas have steak fingers as a school lunch menu item? We had them often in elementary school in the 90s but other people are like 'wtf are steak fingers'

Yep, distinctly remember steak fingers during elementary school lunch.

Also, I still walk down to the DQ right off Riverside occasionally to grab a large chocolate dipped cone.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Nonsense posted:

Raising Canes is open very late, very useful during the week as I help bring American alcohol consumption back to pre-Prohibition levels. The line is often shorter/non-existent compared to Whataburger.

Raising Canes is good for everything EXCEPT their chicken. The bread, the fries, the sweet tea, the Cane sauce are great but the chicken itself it most bland, tasteless chicken I've ever eaten. It's loving bizarre.

I got Sonics all over the goddamn place here in Sugar Land, and that's always a a good experience. Gimme them chili cheese tots

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Sonic's burgers used to be sneakily the best major chain burger but they changed sometime in the 2010s and are just solidly mid-tier now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been trying fast food shakes at a couple places and I think Jack in the Box and Sonic might be the best so far. Sonic has flavors, I really love the caramel shake, but I'm not a fan of their burgers and I like Jack in the Box's weird eclectic selection where I can get a sourdough ham and egg sandwich at 6:00 PM.

Also I'm not a fan of sitting around in my car on a hot summer day. I ate more Sonic when I worked at a mall and they had a place at the food court (and had some kind of onion ring sandwich, that was good).

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
If Jack in the box has their spicy chicken strips it's a pro move. If not then it's worthless.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I begrudgingly admit that Rodeo Goat and Cookshack both from Dallas are good.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I begrudgingly admit that Rodeo Goat and Cookshack both from Dallas are good.

I hate how much I like Rodeo Goat, it's too good to be from Dallas.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
anything that goes from DFW to Houston and sticks around is bound to be great.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Also Rodeo Goat started in Fort Worth lol

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I miss braums.

Rodeo goat is good, but RIP off site kitchen in DFW. They had the perfect lunch burg.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Chieves posted:

Also Rodeo Goat started in Fort Worth lol

As a native of DFW (expat in houston), Ft. Worth is Dallas. All of DFW is Dallas.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Best fast food fried chicken in the San Antonio - Austin corridor is Bill Millers

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Jake Gittes posted:

I'm p sure wes lives south of 59 in Boulevard Oaks.

But i live in Montrose so it's got that going for it

ah - maybe - I only knew that because he was one of the coaches for Neartown Little League which is mostly Montrose but includes boulevard oaks too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Gittes
Jul 11, 2006

me irl

Sab0921 posted:

ah - maybe - I only knew that because he was one of the coaches for Neartown Little League which is mostly Montrose but includes boulevard oaks too

the reason I know this is kind of dumb.

i don't follow his twitter account, but a couple years ago he posted a letter from the NFLPA on about denying him coverage for football related injuries or something similar. some sports media outlet retweeted it w/ some commentary about how unfair the nflpa is treating players etc etc doesn't really matter for this poast.

anyway wes left his north blvd address unredacted on the letter