Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hotel Kpro posted:

Even a 30 year old Fluke is probably going to be in tolerance, assuming you have that brand there
You know how they say buy cheap, buy twice. My dad never figured out that you're supposed to shell out for something nicer the second time so you can stop buying. It's all going to be reduced in price aldi special buys, as he couldn't resist those.That said, even just 15 years ago, aldi did a lot more strong-arming suppliers into delivering a fair quality product. It would be weird if they all failed in the same way and to the same degree in any case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, a while back I upgraded from my lovely uni ikea bed to something with a bit more quality, and I was surprised how convenient and pleasant it can be to have the whole thing a bit higher (about knee height for me). It lets me roll right out of bed into a standing position in one easy motion.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Maybe there is a goon doctor or physio hanging out here..

What the hell is wrong with my arm? I have pain in the Flexor Pollicis Longus muscle proximal to my elbow. Previously this only happened in flexion but for the last two days its happening consistently. I can no longer curl 6kgs without pain.

I had been assuming it was a pull or injury to the muscle but its been so long with no improvement I'm wondering if it might be a tendon/ligament issue. I have a doctors appointment but current waiting times could be up to four weeks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Extra row of tits posted:

Maybe there is a goon doctor or physio hanging out here..

What the hell is wrong with my arm? I have pain in the Flexor Pollicis Longus muscle proximal to my elbow. Previously this only happened in flexion but for the last two days its happening consistently. I can no longer curl 6kgs without pain.

I had been assuming it was a pull or injury to the muscle but its been so long with no improvement I'm wondering if it might be a tendon/ligament issue. I have a doctors appointment but current waiting times could be up to four weeks!

Go post a thread in The Goon Doctor, that's what that subforum is for.

As a non-doctor, about all I can speculate is that you injured yourself awhile back, and in avoiding use of the injured muscle(s), you allowed them to atrophy, and now they're not able to do their job correctly. That's happened to me multiple times in the past. If that's what happened, physical therapists should be able to diagnose it, and give you exercises that target the atrophied muscles and train your body to move properly again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a site like CamelCamelCamel but broader (i.e. not just Amazon)?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why are odd length inseams so much more common than even for men’s shorts? I feel like I see 7, 5, and 3 inches all the time but 6 and 4 almost never

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
on google links have a tiny tiny thumbnail logo next to them

was there a way to see where the image is referenced? In SA's case it lets you save as for the tiny tiny image but I wanted to get to a larger version if possible

this is NOT specifically for SA im using it as an example so I didn't need answers about "just look for the grenade logo elsewhere duuuude"

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Alan Smithee posted:

on google links have a tiny tiny thumbnail logo next to them

was there a way to see where the image is referenced? In SA's case it lets you save as for the tiny tiny image but I wanted to get to a larger version if possible

It’s called a favicon and it’s a tiny tiny image meant to be displayed in a browser’s address bar

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dupersaurus posted:

It’s called a favicon and it’s a tiny tiny image meant to be displayed in a browser’s address bar

any way to get to a larger version?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Alan Smithee posted:

Ask the person that made it for a bigger version. It’s literally a 16x16 pixel image

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Alan Smithee posted:

Other browsers (notably on ios retina devices) use bigger versions, so you can try using one of those and fishing the favicon out of your temporary internet files.
That is, if the website owner has set up the site to serve the best possible quality favicon. This is somewhat standard now. For example, most favicon generators will give you a set of different dimensions, rather than just the one favicon

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What level of government should I be looking at if I want to find out if water usage is restricted in my area? County? Town? I want to use the hose but I don't know if we're under a water limit or not, and I'm poring over these government websites getting myself confused.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

What level of government should I be looking at if I want to find out if water usage is restricted in my area? County? Town? I want to use the hose but I don't know if we're under a water limit or not, and I'm poring over these government websites getting myself confused.

It depends, but I think things like that can be either the county OR municipality. You’d probably be best off checking the website for your water utility

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Alan Smithee posted:

Try https://besticon-demo.herokuapp.com/

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm overthinking a problem that must have a simple solution. I don't ever want to be away from my notes. At any moment I need to be able to record an idea. Currently I use a hotkey where I press the power button 3x and it opens a voice recorder app. It's a bit clunky and unreliable but it's the best I got. The problem is in the shower I listen to music so if I want to record an idea then I have to get my phone wet what's a better way to record all my thoughts the minute I have them?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
cant you use the good ol voice activated thing? "hey siri/ok google, make a note: sharks with miniguns for arms"
if it's android you might have to enable some setting to have the voice recognition on "all the time" instead of just when pressing a button

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Keep a marker in the shower and right them on the wall somewhere that it won't get washed away immediately.

Alternatively have a scribe wait by the shower for all your ideas that can't wait the 2 more minutes until you get out.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

https://www.myaquanotes.com/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The US government spent 43bn developing that in the search for Atlantis in the 1950s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Maybe I should bring this to the tech support forum, but Firefox has stopped playing sound and I can't figure out why. It's not muted; I can toggle the mute on and off. I tried reinstalling it. Sound works fine in every other app, other browsers, but not Firefox. I can't figure out how this can be!

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

credburn posted:

Maybe I should bring this to the tech support forum, but Firefox has stopped playing sound and I can't figure out why. It's not muted; I can toggle the mute on and off. I tried reinstalling it. Sound works fine in every other app, other browsers, but not Firefox. I can't figure out how this can be!

Check the sound mixer in your OS, it's possible that the volume is lowered or muted just for Firefox.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

which mute are you toggling on and off? there are multiple ways to mute something.
is it in the windows volume mixer? FF's own "mute tab" function? something else? you should check all of those

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm overthinking a problem that must have a simple solution. I don't ever want to be away from my notes. At any moment I need to be able to record an idea. Currently I use a hotkey where I press the power button 3x and it opens a voice recorder app. It's a bit clunky and unreliable but it's the best I got. The problem is in the shower I listen to music so if I want to record an idea then I have to get my phone wet what's a better way to record all my thoughts the minute I have them?

Phone in the Ziploc bag?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I’m thinking of trading in my Nintendo Switch Lite for a Switch OLED at GameStop. What do I need to do to make it tradable? I know I need to format and take out my microSD and deactivate it as my primary console. Anything else?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I wear large socks, and they inevitably wind up after a year or two getting a hole in the back of the ankle. Is there anything I can do with these socks other than throw them away? I go through way too many to ever need that many rags, they have elastic in them so I doubt they can be darned.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ham Equity posted:

I wear large socks, and they inevitably wind up after a year or two getting a hole in the back of the ankle. Is there anything I can do with these socks other than throw them away? I go through way too many to ever need that many rags, they have elastic in them so I doubt they can be darned.

Maybe try patching them instead? Take previously holed socks and cut out some of the material to be used to cover the old hole? given the relative amount of material from the damaged socks you should be able to cover the holes enough to get more longevity?

Alternatively, this implies that you're providing a lot of strain to your ankle that the sock is taking the brunt of; are you able to see a doctor to help with your gait/posture?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

Maybe try patching them instead? Take previously holed socks and cut out some of the material to be used to cover the old hole? given the relative amount of material from the damaged socks you should be able to cover the holes enough to get more longevity?

Alternatively, this implies that you're providing a lot of strain to your ankle that the sock is taking the brunt of; are you able to see a doctor to help with your gait/posture?

The socks in question have elastic in them, which is why I don't think patching would work.

I have extremely wide feet, and so the socks I buy just barely fit me. I suspect this is happening at that point because it's where the relatively thin part of the sock that goes up my calf meets the relatively thick part of the sock that covers the ankle/heel, and thus that is the weakest part of the sock, where tearing from being overstretched naturally occurs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I get similar holes, and I figure it has to do with how I put the socks on. Try being more gentle and not just hauling on the top of the sock.

Kingoffrogs
Aug 14, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I get similar holes, and I figure it has to do with how I put the socks on. Try being more gentle and not just hauling on the top of the sock.

Yanking on the top of socks when putting them on rips them for me. When I put socks on, I usually fold them inside of itself, then unravel it to cover the rest of my foot. it is hard to explain XD.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I’m thinking of trading in my Nintendo Switch Lite for a Switch OLED at GameStop. What do I need to do to make it tradable? I know I need to format and take out my microSD and deactivate it as my primary console. Anything else?

Sell on SA Mart first. GameStop will give you very little for it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My bathroom sink drains slowly up to a certain point as water comes from the faucet faster than it can go down the drain, then empties quickly all the way if I let the water run long enough and allow a large enough volume of water to fill up the basin. After that, it starts draining slowly again and water once more fills up in the basin.

This is annoying to deal with. Is it something drain cleaner would fix, or just an engineering feature of the sink? I ask because I don’t want to damage the pipes and because the p-trap (maybe there’s another name for a trap that is a full loop) under the sink actually goes in a full loop-the-loop, like this one:

I did an image search to find that one, which is in a kitchen rather than a bathroom, but the shape is identical. I could imagine that the full loop means that some water would have to build up to force its way through a full loop, and that if the sink were draining slowly because of buildup, I’d never get to a moment where the sink empties completely and drains quickly for a moment. Should I just see if like liquid plumr or drano will make a difference, or is it all down to the weird trap?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dupersaurus posted:

Except that's not the favicon that actually appears when you visit the site. The "real" favicon is just a black grenade silhouette on a transparent background, whereas google shows a white silhouette on a black background with the word "forums" underneath it. :confused:

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Most devices have a factory reset option buried in the settings somewhere. Probably a good idea to do that too.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Human Tornada posted:

Phone in the Ziploc bag?

This is the simplest solution I think but I really like the voice activated recording as well, will report back maybe? Deffo was a lot of really simple solutions I overlooked.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
1) where is that thread that you can request links to long forgotten threads/sa history in?

I’m trying to find the Lyndon B Johnson CYOA thread that a goon did.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Ham Equity posted:

The socks in question have elastic in them, which is why I don't think patching would work.

I have extremely wide feet, and so the socks I buy just barely fit me. I suspect this is happening at that point because it's where the relatively thin part of the sock that goes up my calf meets the relatively thick part of the sock that covers the ankle/heel, and thus that is the weakest part of the sock, where tearing from being overstretched naturally occurs.

Could it be that your wide feet are causing you to buy shoes in a larger size lengthwise, which results in more slipping at the heel, this more friction on your socks in that ankle area?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

for fucks sake posted:

Check the sound mixer in your OS, it's possible that the volume is lowered or muted just for Firefox.

God drat, that's what it was. I didn't even know you could do that. Thanks!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

buglord posted:

1) where is that thread that you can request links to long forgotten threads/sa history in?

I’m trying to find the Lyndon B Johnson CYOA thread that a goon did.

Lost SA Stuff in PYF.

The Saga thread in PYF gets a bit more traffic though so you can probably just ask there if no one sees stuff in the lost stuff thread.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ancillary Character posted:

Could it be that your wide feet are causing you to buy shoes in a larger size lengthwise, which results in more slipping at the heel, this more friction on your socks in that ankle area?
I think the "pulling on the socks incorrectly" is the more likely theory, though I can't rule this out. There is also nothing I can do about this, aside from paying to have shoes custom-built, as I buy the widest commercially-manufactured shoes that I'm aware of.

As much as I appreciate the help with preventing this in the future, it doesn't really answer my question of "is there anything good to do with these socks other than throw them away?" Or maybe it does, in that the answer is "no."

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I've read a number of reports from rural people who say they've asked a cable/DSL/etc ISP the cost to extend service out to them and the ISP gave them a $$$ price quote. Where would I start with finding that out from Comcast/Xfinity? Use their standard customer support and have them direct me to the appropriate department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

I think the "pulling on the socks incorrectly" is the more likely theory, though I can't rule this out. There is also nothing I can do about this, aside from paying to have shoes custom-built, as I buy the widest commercially-manufactured shoes that I'm aware of.

As much as I appreciate the help with preventing this in the future, it doesn't really answer my question of "is there anything good to do with these socks other than throw them away?" Or maybe it does, in that the answer is "no."

Your WoW raiding can go uninterrupted for many hours and days