Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Those are both beautiful plants. The hurt berry is huge, I would be curious if it is actually as hot as the rest of that family. We grow 7 Pot Primo and they're usually half that size, that thing is massive.

Sauce options really depends on volume. A handful of super hots pretty much disappears in your usual sauces. That always impressed me with "Reaper Squeezins" from Puckerbutt. There is nothing other than just straight up mash and it still tastes incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Finally have a ripe hurt berry pod, the inside is coated with pure capsaicin oil. It smells so hot but incredibly fruity.

I've got about two dozen more of these on the way, I think I'm just going to dehydrate pieces of them and vacuum seal them to add to other sauces and dishes.

I'm also growing a ton of these milder cayenne-style "Bangalore Whippets Tail" so I might try those as a base to a sauce and add a HB for heat.

Any other ideas for what to do with peppers that are too hot to use fresh?

Here's the ones I've done in the last couple years.

Jhet posted:

Put a bunch of my chiles into ferment now that they’re about done growing. Two sauces, one red and one yellow. Ingredients from mildest to hottest. Both are happily fermenting in vacuum bags. In total it’s about 1kg of fermenting sauce.

Red contains: sweet red paprika type, garlic, Hot Portugal, Caribbean Red, 7-pot, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion red and caramel, Carolina Reaper. 2% salt by weight
Yellow contains: carrots, Shallots, garlic, Fatalii, Scotch Bonnet, Bhut Jolokia strain 2, 2% salt by weight

Jhet posted:

From left to right all at 2% salt by weight:
Bad Idea v4, Carolina Reaper, Bhut Jolokia, Moruga Scorpion, with some Cajun Belle, shallot, and garlic so I can actually eat it.

Lemon Hot, Fatalii, Scotch Bonnet, Lemon Drop, lemon zest, garlic.

Lemon drop vinegar, fermented first, then will get the Tabasco vinegar sauce finish.

The Lemon Drop Vinegar was the one I've had the most of since doing a run of just cayenne vinegar (Crystal inspired) sauce. It's also almost gone already in under a year.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 20, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't believe how absolutely perfect those peppers are.

e: if you tilt it to 30 degrees left it makes a good screaming skull

angerbot fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 20, 2023

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Speaking of, I picked up Woodstock Scorpion Pepper Hot Sauce and meant to post about it before forgetting! It's more mash than sauce, and you definitely feel the scorpion pepper, but it's really, really good. Will end up picking it up again I'm sure, though even this 5oz is gonna last a while since you don't need to use much.

Picked up also Woodstock Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce and it's okay. Nothing noteworthy but not a bad sauce either. Unlikely to pick up again. Also got Earl Jr. Ale House Habanero which is really quite good. It's not as good as Marie Sharpe's but it's good enough to replace it if you're wanting to opt out of the carrot base there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think those are the longest pepps i've seen. i love the weird looking ones.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Insane how closely they resemble the nails of Guinness Book record holders for longest nails

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Insane how closely they resemble the nails of Guinness Book record holders for longest nails

I grew two varieties of long crazy peps and these 'Thunder Mountain Longhorn' look more like those nails bc they're more curly and ugly looking.

They haven't started ripening yet but that pic is all from one plant.

Here's some of the smoother whippets tails with a pencil for scale.

Jhet posted:

Here's the ones I've done in the last couple years.

The Lemon Drop Vinegar was the one I've had the most of since doing a run of just cayenne vinegar (Crystal inspired) sauce. It's also almost gone already in under a year.

Thanks!!

Edit:
Did you leave all those pods on the plant until they were all ripe or did you fill those bags gradually through the season?

I can never tell when it's a good time to pick them other than the final color change or if it's a bad thing to leave them on longer.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 23, 2023

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
whoa

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Gonna have to keep an eye out for when those release.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Made a batch of Fatalii jelly today, it's delicious and incredibly spicy.

Recipe I used: (makes about 4.5 cups)

8 Fatalii peppers
1 Red Bell pepper
1 lemon, juiced
3/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
3 1/4 cups Sugar
1 pouch of Certo liquid pectin

I diced everything then threw it all in a blender, then cooked until it started boiling at 220F and added the pouch of pectin, then put everything in the jars and boiled them for 10 more minutes.

Surprisingly there wasn't much tear gas created during the cooking process, the worst part was washing out the blender afterwards because of the steam from the hot water.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Space Jam posted:

Gonna have to keep an eye out for when those release.

There have been scattered sightings for the last week by the spiceheads. Meanwhile I hit up every supermercado in the ghetto and came up empty handed :negative:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
A lot of them rotate stock in and out quickly. Anything above jalapeño is a hot commodity. So I'd check them a few times each

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
really wanna try the chiltepin one, don't see many of those.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Does anyone have any good recipes for plum based hot sauce? I've got loads of plums to use.

Vogon Poetry Slam
Nov 13, 2016

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
What’s everyone’s favorite sauce for eggs? I have never used hot sauce on eggs but after dousing with choula I’m addicted.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Tabasco or Tabasco Habanero

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

I’d say Tabasco Habanero too. It’s a bummer though, my local Walmart stopped carrying it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Buc-ees Taco Reaper sauce

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
There's basically no wrong sauce to put on egg. Eggs is one of the more perfect hot sauce mediums

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We love Hippy Dippy Green from Angry Goat or Heatonist #4, their lions mane sauce. That's for fancy eggs.

If we're just doing eggs and two meats and a biscuit diner style it's real hard to beat Louisiana in my opinion. Runny, vinegary, it just marries so well with an over easy egg sopped up with buttered toast (made out of the cheapest white bread you can find).

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Perry Mason Jar posted:

There's basically no wrong sauce to put on egg. Eggs is one of the more perfect hot sauce mediums

What about cum

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

What about cum

If your cum is spicy you need to see a doctor immediately

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Bum the Sad posted:

What about cum

What about it

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Yeah!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I mean, technically it goes great with eggs. Or one egg, usually.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It’s El Yucateco Green or Louisiana depending on how I’m feeling that day. More often than not it’s the green though it’s just about perfect for eggs imo.

I try my best not to cum on my eggs.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 13, 2023

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tapatio is primo egg sauce to me.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For eggs I like Marie Sharps regular or grapefruit pulp.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jehde posted:

Tapatio is primo egg sauce to me.

This before I discovered the giant bottles of Valentina Black Label (before I discovered Zindrew chili oil)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is the correct answer. Almost every hot sauce is great with eggs and your carbs of choice. Chili oils and crisps, puree, mash, it’s all good. Pick your flavor profile and have fun.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jhet posted:

This is the correct answer. Almost every hot sauce is great with eggs and your carbs of choice. Chili oils and crisps, puree, mash, it’s all good. Pick your flavor profile and have fun.

I’ve got one. Blistered shishito and sesame seeds sauce I picked up from a coffee house in New Orleans. Heat comes from Thai chilis.

Great when worked into a salad or wrap, but kinda funky on eggs.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Anything fermented is also good on eggs

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Smugworth posted:

This before I discovered the giant bottles of Valentina Black Label (before I discovered Zindrew chili oil)

I was advised in this very thread not to sleep on the regular yellow label, and you know what? They were right. It's not as hot, but it tastes better.

Yellow Bird serrano is solid on eggs as well. I'm on a real kick with that stuff right now. It just goes great on everything.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Oooh, Secret Aardvark Serrabanero. That's the egg sauce I couldn't remember.

That stuff is incredible on a nice over easy egg with a slice of muenster on an everything bagel.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hello I have discovered this thread.

For the last two years I have been growing the following peppers:

* Jalapenos
* Fish peppers
* Lemon Drop
* Sugar Rush Peach (my absolute fave)
* Biquinho
* Jigsaw

Last year I froze my harvest with the intention of making hot sauce but never did (I did occasionally make fresh salsa or guac with them). They are still frozen and I am about to have another harvest. I want to make hot sauces.

My favorite flavor palette would be something sweet and spicy, preferably using local fresh peaches, apples, etc once they come into season, more fruit/pepper forward than vinegar forward (basically, for my favorite sauces, vinegar should never be one of the first 3-4 ingredients). If anyone has any recommendations on where to begin — equipment, methods, etc — I would really appreciate it. I am going to go skim through the prior 73 pages when I have a sec, but there wasn't much of an index in the OP (spoiled by Covid thread in this respect).

I recently spent $200 lolsob at https://www.newenglandhotsaucefest.com/. Got a lot of great ones there, ama.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

What's a good "chocolate habanero" sauce I can order online? I fell in love with one that's sold in a very particular place in a distant country and I've been chasing that dragon since. The heat level on the chocolate habanero is about perfect - comparable heat will do. Thanks!

I think AGPC has this one that I tried (they had a different name but maybe they're still nailing the branding for it) https://www.angrygoatpepperco.com/products/agpc-chocolate-habanero-balsamic-black-garlic-hot-sauce?_pos=1&_sid=c0e9bd119&_ss=r

AGPC ships a lot of New England hot sauces with free shipping over $75 FYI.

edit: here's an example of one of my favorite sauces; I'd love to make something like this, but spicier https://www.sourcefiresauce.com/products/hm

Petey fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 17, 2023

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
If I made hot sauce with a bunch of hurt berry peppers at around 1mil scovilles and a bunch of fataliis at 0.4mil scovilles, does the concentration then equal out to roughly 1.4mil or would it dilute the 1mil pepper scovilles rating?

I know it's a concentration measurement for that pepper, just not sure how adding dissimilar peppers together works.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Scoville is a subjective scale anyways. Theoretically it's how many parts water added to one part pepper it would take to make it undetectable. So a drop of 1m scoville hot sauce would take 1m drops of water to not be tasted. But since taste is completely personal it's all kinda made up. But in a perfect world it's a straight scale so the two peppers would average out normally

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Dentist posted:

Scoville is a subjective scale anyways. Theoretically it's how many parts water added to one part pepper it would take to make it undetectable. So a drop of 1m scoville hot sauce would take 1m drops of water to not be tasted. But since taste is completely personal it's all kinda made up. But in a perfect world it's a straight scale so the two peppers would average out normally

I think they quantify the capsaicin and use a conversion factor to get the Scoville number now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That makes sense but I wonder who the lucky guy is who set the conversion rate