Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
If I had a negative Torr, I would simply divide it by zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Biplane posted:

Should have let it all go down in flames imho.

It took me quite a while to realise that this is usually better.

If poo poo collapses from everyone following procedure, then it is a regrettable incident etc etc.

If you save everyone's rear end by ignoring a stupid policy, then the person responsible pretty much has to take you down before they get taken down.
By all means point out any problems in a new stupid policy... once. If they continue with it, then they have chosen the eventual outcome, so /shrug. Anything more than that puts you in the firing line when poo poo happens. As I found out.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Invalid Validation posted:

How does this person even manage to put pants on in the morning?

:10bux: says he's an owner. My money is on this being a small to medium sized business where the founder/founder's kid is still the full owner of the place. That leads to just this kind of insanity as no one can say "holy poo poo printing out all this crap is stupid as gently caress" because you don't point out the emperor's lack of clothes if you want a job. Side bet on it being a larger company with a founder/owner/descendent of original founder who is quasi-untouchable because of their last name and significant stakeholdling but has been quietly pushed aside into being the Senior Executive of Very Important Shiny Things, We Swear.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Probably but you’d think even Mr. Nepotism would be told to just sit in a room pretending to type instead of printing out thousands of dollars of paper a month. That’s fuckin insane even for a dumb boomer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Probably but you’d think even Mr. Nepotism would be told to just sit in a room pretending to type instead of printing out thousands of dollars of paper a month. That’s fuckin insane even for a dumb boomer.

Printing out every email you ever get and filing it away in your insane hoarder office is exactly how I would imagine a 70 year old failson Doing Important Business In My Business Job. It's also how you would expect a 5 year old to play office with their dad's briefcase and office PC.

It's Peter Griffin logic.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The economy and society as a whole really, just exists to humor boomers at this point. Everyone else may die screaming in the water wars but that guy and his rental portfolio are having the time of his life

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

McSpanky posted:

In a different era they would've been hornswoggled by telephones and horseless carriages.

Yeah, but in that era, they would have been able to find go-arounds that let them avoid interacting with this Scary New Technology directly. Today, they gotta deal with computers or poo poo won't get done.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Printing out every email you ever get and filing it away in your insane hoarder office is exactly how I would imagine a 70 year old failson Doing Important Business In My Business Job. It's also how you would expect a 5 year old to play office with their dad's briefcase and office PC.

I'd bet he got told once, at some point, that emails need to be archived so there's a record. And anything else that was said about how to do that on the computer, or how long things need to be stored for, went in one ear and right out the other.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
My step dad has trouble with the concept of windows, plural.

He was a regional bank manager in a national chain until the mid 2000s.

E: and an elected politician for 4 years after that.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 13, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tinytort posted:

I'd bet he got told once, at some point, that emails need to be archived so there's a record. And anything else that was said about how to do that on the computer, or how long things need to be stored for, went in one ear and right out the other.

There was a period in the computing stone age when printing out important emails wasn't all that abnormal. A lot of the times it was due to legal or regulatory record keeping rules in the years before those procedures caught up with electronic records. So it could easily be that some time 30-40 years ago he DID have to print out actual important emails to file away in case of a lawsuit or an audit, and that's since metastasized and no one is able to tell him no. Or, that was the rule when he first started cosplaying as a businessman in order to justify his inheritance or whatever.

And, in fairness, electronic records management for things where complete records should be kept for archival purposes - think government offices - is a loving nightmare. On the one hand, I was once working in an archive and found multiple shelves of the most mundane bullshit emails ever from a government office in the early 90s because someone took their NARA records management guidance really loving seriously. This was massively low tier government, not anything of vital importance. Think a real life Leslie Nope going full compliance with 90s era laws on really local office stuff. On the other hand you've got some of the loving wild west poo poo that various offices have done with tons of crap just not retained, especially at the high executive levels where you really need that crap saved for both practical and historical reasons (and before anyone starts, this isn't just a Hillary thing, it cuts across parties).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We get a lot of mundane bullshit from our clients that goes into their digital file. There isn’t any strict rules on how long we keep them. I kept wondering how they were gonna store everyone’s stupid written letter 10 years later. Come to find out there’s just a limit on how many documents their file can hold and then it just disappears. Most of it is junk but there are some things that need to stay with a client that could potentially last multiple decades. This is something that will become a problem soon and nobody will care until it implodes.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I imagine you can give yourself the superpower to control whether or not legal gets any sleep again.
nonchalantly whispering things like "knowingly destroying audit related documents" might get some ears to perk up. Or it might get you fired for defeatism.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

I work in finance compliance and sales and get to deal with FINRA all day on records. At one point, thankfully well before my time, in the recent past per former compliance officer's directive, everyone in sales on that side had to print, neatly file, and then ship all printed emails to the home office on the west coast to be put into archival storage for ten years just in case.

I am glad they changed the regulations and the practice because I would've never taken this job otherwise. I do, however, get to go back to the home office and help clean out the damned storage since we're remote first and it's literally two floors of a giant building.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We get a lot of mundane bullshit from our clients that goes into their digital file. There isn’t any strict rules on how long we keep them. I kept wondering how they were gonna store everyone’s stupid written letter 10 years later. Come to find out there’s just a limit on how many documents their file can hold and then it just disappears. Most of it is junk but there are some things that need to stay with a client that could potentially last multiple decades. This is something that will become a problem soon and nobody will care until it implodes.

As long as it's not a problem for you, gently caress it! :dance:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Randy Travesty posted:

I work in finance compliance and sales and get to deal with FINRA all day on records. At one point, thankfully well before my time, in the recent past per former compliance officer's directive, everyone in sales on that side had to print, neatly file, and then ship all printed emails to the home office on the west coast to be put into archival storage for ten years just in case.

I am glad they changed the regulations and the practice because I would've never taken this job otherwise. I do, however, get to go back to the home office and help clean out the damned storage since we're remote first and it's literally two floors of a giant building.

Just set it on fire.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Biplane posted:

Should have let it all go down in flames imho.

Dumb poo poo your work does: let it all go down in flames imho

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Randy Travesty posted:

that's absurdly cautious records retention, like credit card companies only keep a maximum of 7 years of statements for accounts even when the account is still open. been a customer with us since 2000 and want to see statements from back then? haha hope you kept them in a filing cabinet somewhere bozo cause we sure loving didn't.

this has lead to some of the most unpleasant poo poo I've seen on credit cards. for instance I've seen multiple accounts where the caller is trying to figure out why they have a cash advance balance because they don't remember doing a cash advance. and when I look, they've been paying the min due on autopay for like 10 years, and there's been a cash advance balance generating interest, growing, growing growing....for so long we no longer have a record of the original cash advance transaction that began it. it's just a 29.99% apr balance, growing and growing and growing. what can we do for people in that situation? not jack poo poo. maybe a hardship plan I guess. but they're usually just hosed.

don't take out cash advances ever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

teemolover42069 posted:

that's absurdly cautious records retention, like credit card companies only keep a maximum of 7 years of statements for accounts even when the account is still open. been a customer with us since 2000 and want to see statements from back then? haha hope you kept them in a filing cabinet somewhere bozo cause we sure loving didn't.

this has lead to some of the most unpleasant poo poo I've seen on credit cards. for instance I've seen multiple accounts where the caller is trying to figure out why they have a cash advance balance because they don't remember doing a cash advance. and when I look, they've been paying the min due on autopay for like 10 years, and there's been a cash advance balance generating interest, growing, growing growing....for so long we no longer have a record of the original cash advance transaction that began it. it's just a 29.99% apr balance, growing and growing and growing. what can we do for people in that situation? not jack poo poo. maybe a hardship plan I guess. but they're usually just hosed.

If you can't prove they got a cash advance, how can you make them pay for the interest?

Like, if you can't prove you gave me a loan, can I sue you for the last seven years of interest I paid?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Outrail posted:

If you can't prove they got a cash advance, how can you make them pay for the interest?

Like, if you can't prove you gave me a loan, can I sue you for the last seven years of interest I paid?

A credit card company is more of a person than some random poor and thus their word counts for more.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't know how that side of things works, but that's a good question. how do we prove they owe a debt if the debt has existed longer than our records go back? I'm gonna look into that question tomorrow, it's an interesting one.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I think the answer is your company can’t recover poo poo in bankruptcy court, but it can also refuse service to the customer going forward if they refuse to pay.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
on a couple of accounts like that there hasn't been a transaction on the card in years - it's literally just on min due autopay. so at that point they're basically just paying whatever amount per month for the subscription service of their credit not taking a poo poo from them not paying. depressing poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Outrail posted:

Unfortunately, the individual has to prove they DIDN'T do those things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I worked in a place where the bespoke customer service system ran out of reference numbers, a very foreseeable problem for anyone with half a brain but one that they decided not to consider when they commissioned it a decade prior.

Since it was in an industry that wasn’t allowed to not retain those records indefinitely there was no option to just reuse numbers, and they had to pay someone an ungodly amount of money to enable an extra digit in the references.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Skanky Burns posted:

If I had a negative Torr, I would simply divide it by zero.

Kind of like my girlfriend, who is like the square root of -100 :smuggo:

A perfect 10, but imaginary :smith:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I worked in a place where the bespoke customer service system ran out of reference numbers, a very foreseeable problem for anyone with half a brain but one that they decided not to consider when they commissioned it a decade prior.

Since it was in an industry that wasn’t allowed to not retain those records indefinitely there was no option to just reuse numbers, and they had to pay someone an ungodly amount of money to enable an extra digit in the references.

Typically you'd just start a new number series so if it was RN12345 before you could make it RFN12345 for all future reference numbers.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Biplane posted:

A credit card company is more of a person than some random poor and thus their word counts for more.

Perhaps - but if they want to collect on debts, they better have a record of the initial debt to push forward enforcement. If not they should gently caress themselves, bc otherwise cc companies could just start claiming everyone owes them. Bare minimum for debt enforcement should be ensuring and having actual proof the debt exists.

If you can't prove the payment happened, you shouldn't get to collect on it 🤷

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Perhaps - but if they want to collect on debts, they better have a record of the initial debt to push forward enforcement. If not they should gently caress themselves, bc otherwise cc companies could just start claiming everyone owes them. Bare minimum for debt enforcement should be ensuring and having actual proof the debt exists.

Proof of debt didn't stop them from mass foreclosing on houses they had no proof of title on back in 09, it won't stop them with relatively piddly CC debt either.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What should be has little to no bearing on how things actually are.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Usually it's heavily dependent on how good a lawyer you can afford. If someone can't prove evidence of the debt, yeah, poo poo's probably going to go rough for them during a lawsuit.

Problem is, you need the time and resources to get it to that point, and the amount you're loving around for needs to be worth the effort.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
*drunkenly scrawls 'Wells Fargo owes me $1b for loan made in 1931 at 31% interest' on a napkin*

Prove I didn't lend you that money, Mr Fargo

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Coasterphreak posted:

Just set it on fire.

honestly it was a thought. instead i'm going to use someone else's budget to pay people to shred it and throw it out and then turn a floor of the building into god knows what. a starbucks for the people who still go to the office or something. not my loving problem after it's gone.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

teemolover42069 posted:

i don't operate in credit cards, but in securities. it's absurd, sure, but i get where they're coming from. FINRA will gently caress you up. real bad. i live in terror of the FINRA guy and the SEC showing up again to ask questions (again, compliance, and if we gently caress up guess whose rear end is on the entire line for it? hahaha gently caress.)

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

Thesaurus posted:

:stare:

I bet he makes a lot of money, as your boss

How does this person even manage to put pants on in the morning?

Atopian posted:

Just the :stare: would do.

Outrail posted:

Adding :catstare: to the boomer pile. What the gently caress how do they remember where they live?

I do want to add now, after my long list of exampled of insanity, this job is probably the best I've ever had in terms of personal treatment. I've zero qualms about anything except... well, the insanity. And even though he is the final boss of the boomers, this guy actually rocks. He's a really cool guy who has given me unprompted raises and just random "hey, here is a little something extra for Christmas, your birthday, the summer, etc." bonuses. They nearly tripled my PTO by my second year there. I was initially very worried about working for a small family business because I've only heard horror stories from friends, but their treatment of me has been fantastic.

But, yeah, it's loving bonkers most of the time.

Cyrano4747 posted:

:10bux: says he's an owner. My money is on this being a small to medium sized business where the founder/founder's kid is still the full owner of the place. That leads to just this kind of insanity as no one can say "holy poo poo printing out all this crap is stupid as gently caress" because you don't point out the emperor's lack of clothes if you want a job. Side bet on it being a larger company with a founder/owner/descendent of original founder who is quasi-untouchable because of their last name and significant stakeholdling but has been quietly pushed aside into being the Senior Executive of Very Important Shiny Things, We Swear.

Close on your first bet. It's a small family business that he took over from his parents because they were just like him forty years ago, completely out of touch with the way the industry was operating and letting the business slowly fall behind because the practices were outdated and inefficient. Now his kids are taking over and they're on board with a modern, paperless system and pretty much go to me for guidance on how things are operating and how they should operating. It's kind of intimidating because I have no loving idea how to run a business but anything is superior to: print everything, stuff it in the file.

I used to incorrectly think business management was a bullshit degree -- but now I have an insane level of respect for it because coming into a business with no structure other than "print everything and put them in the behemoth files" and then being asked how to do it instead is pretty intimidating.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh when the kids came in I immediately told them "it's not a real loving business, we're just playing office -- and the overall structure is that of a loving pickup basketball game." But it's definitely getting better now and slowly transitioning. Slowly.

Anyway, thanks for listening, everyone. I am treated extremely well and my job is pretty hilarious when I'm not overwhelmed by the insanity.

Edit:

McSpanky posted:

People like the ultraboomer you described simply stop learning anything at some point -- probably the day they left high school -- and become utterly perplexed as the world moves on without them. In a different era they would've been hornswoggled by telephones and horseless carriages.

This just reminded me: the phones are a major problem as well. We got a new phone system installed and for six months he relentlessly bitched about how no one ever came to show them how to use it (of course at this point I just read the instructions online and figured it out). The company then scheduled a webinar and it was the most simple, childish-toned lesson ever. "This is how to transfer a call, beep boop, does any one have any questions so far? Okay, next step is beep boop, does anyone have any questions?" At the end of course the boomer king did not know how to end the Zoom meeting, so the poor lady that just talked like an elementary school teacher for 90 minutes hears him yell "DID YOU GUYS GET THAT? I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT, WHAT THE gently caress." I apologized for about three minutes.

We've had the phone system for over a year now and he still doesn't know how to transfer a call. Every phone in the office has simple cheat sheets taped on them, he still claims it's too complicated but it's obviously just a refusal to learn anything new.

Orchestrated Mess fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 13, 2023

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
For whatever reason we have five filing cabinets full of records of every lab standard we've calibrated for the last 30 years or so. Every calibration, every test point, an absolute ridiculous amount of useless paper because everything is housed digitally as well. I offered to go through every single record and see what standards we even still have to see if we can cut down on the amount of space this takes up. My manager insisted even if we did that everything would still have to go sit in a warehouse because we can't just get rid of these records.

Three jobs ago I ran into a similar issue where they said we had to keep a paper copy of every procedure we had, then would complain that we were running out of room with the three filing cabinets full of paper. I had been there less than a year and noticed we used maybe 15% of those procedures. After cleaning out the ones we never used because whatever they were written for wasn't in our inventory anymore we had one filing cabinet with room to spare.

The air force did it right though. We had two rotating bookcases full of maintenance procedures and one day they said everything needed to go, so two guys spent a week throwing everything into a burn barrel.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

(Worked in Asset Management for a large Bank...)

Obviously it differs country to country, but in Australia, you generally can't collect on unsecured debts after 6 years since the last payment. Unfortunately, even though the Bank can't provide proof of the original debt, the fact that the client was making payments would be considered 'acknowledgement of the debt', so would still be on the hook.

That said, in practice, a bank might just write off the debt if it's not that big for an appearance of goodwill, or if the customer threatens to go to the ombudsman, which is an automatic fine for the bank regardless of the complaint's validity - especially for smaller debts.

A customer walked away from a mortgage because the idiot home loan officer lost the original contract and supporting documents and we weren't keeping these in electronic form at the time.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Elissimpark posted:

or if the customer threatens to go to the ombudsman, which is an automatic fine for the bank regardless of the complaint's validity - especially for smaller debts.

What?

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

I'm speaking generally here, but in Australia if you make a complaint about a company or organisation to the relevant ombudsman, the cost to administer that complaint is passed along to that company or organisation in the form of a fine from that ombudsman regardless of who is at fault.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

bee posted:

I'm speaking generally here, but in Australia if you make a complaint about a company or organisation to the relevant ombudsman, the cost to administer that complaint is passed along to that company or organisation in the form of a fine from that ombudsman regardless of who is at fault.

:australia: sometimes surprisingly unshit

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bee posted:

America is proudly free from such communistic practices. We just prefer binding arbitration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Elissimpark posted:

A customer walked away from a mortgage because the idiot home loan officer lost the original contract and supporting documents and we weren't keeping these in electronic form at the time.

Someone basically got their entire mortgage forgiven because they worked out the company that held their loan liability had been deregistered.

http://www6.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/cases/act/ACTCA/2005/15.html (it's a pretty fun read, actually!)