Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dk2m
May 6, 2009

the alliance of extremely online cringy liberals and hardcore neo nazis waving upa flags breaks my brain everytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I think we could all do with a little Good News for Ukraine...

https://twitter.com/StarskyUA/status/1690774134379216896
That certainly is good news! And those invaders that escaped with their lives and all their equipment? Gone forever, never to cause trouble again! :dumb:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dokapon Findom posted:

I think we could all do with a little Good News for Ukraine...

https://twitter.com/StarskyUA/status/1690774134379216896
That certainly is good news! And those invaders that escaped with their lives and all their equipment? Gone forever, never to cause trouble again! :dumb:

This man is a self-described "warhipster"

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022
Glad I could make it, Arthas.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

stratholodomor

gradenko_2000 posted:

Orgrimmariupol

i say swears online posted:

bakh...mutalisk? gently caress

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

:pwn:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/104975, via tgsa)

trophy mraps, fun for the whole family

I'm the "NATO collapse is inevitable" banner.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

I'm the "NATO collapse is inevitable" banner.

They're being aspirational and dreaming big

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

Do they ever say why the USSR stopped doing the thing they were doing 100% deliberately

presumably they were shamed into submission by the media of the free world which as we all know was extremely credible and taken very seriously by its populations as a valid authority on current events since this was before evil people like trump started to lie about their being biased

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Yeah the 1930's were a time when all the countries gave a poo poo about internal faminesgenocides, it was the trendy thing to do at the time

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Is the scholarly consensus that in spite of the directed efforts of the Soviets, there was simply too much food growing out of the ground to facilitate famine?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Dokapon Findom posted:

Is the scholarly consensus that in spite of the directed efforts of the Soviets, there was simply too much food growing out of the ground to facilitate famine?

the scholarly consensus on if the Holdomor was intentional is effectively illegal to say in many western countries and also most parts of this website

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Has any scholar compared the famine in USSR in the 30s to famine in China in the 60s? I think there are hidden issues of collectivization people honestly were not aware of until they had a bad farming year. Both of them were 10-15 years after the founding of the new country too.

Like how city planners build a lot of underground tunnels until you get a flash flood one day and you realize the water can fill up the tunnels in a short 5 minutes and people won't have time to escape out of the tunnel.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The commonality wasn't really collectivization but industrialization; both the Soviet Union and China were seeing significant urbanization at that point along with diplomatic isolation. They couldn't readily trade for more grain and both choose to prioritize urban over rural populations and you had significant fatalities as a result.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Best Friends posted:

the scholarly consensus on if the Holdomor was intentional is effectively illegal to say in many western countries and also most parts of this website

It is? Wow, I didn't know that, you're telling me for the first time. It was a horrible holodomor, what can you say. Whether you agreed or not, it was a horrible holodomor that took a lot of lives. Please enjoy this picture I made myself, which is as funny as it is true. Thank you very much

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Has any scholar compared the famine in USSR in the 30s to famine in China in the 60s? I think there are hidden issues of collectivization people honestly were not aware of until they had a bad farming year. Both of them were 10-15 years after the founding of the new country too.

Like how city planners build a lot of underground tunnels until you get a flash flood one day and you realize the water can fill up the tunnels in a short 5 minutes and people won't have time to escape out of the tunnel.

No, both were genocide

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
All authoritarian regimes (judeo-bolshevik) genocide people by stealing their grain. They do this because it is the ultimate way to desecrate the eucharist.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

No, both were genocide

Its not genocide because the famine killed Han chinese.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

just use a free market so u can say they died cause they didnt want to work

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

stephenthinkpad posted:

Lenin to Darth Vader is not a direct conversion. Was there Lenin cosplayer running for major before Maidan?

Darth Vader did kill an emperor, eventually

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dokapon Findom posted:

It is? Wow, I didn't know that, you're telling me for the first time. It was a horrible holodomor, what can you say. Whether you agreed or not, it was a horrible holodomor that took a lot of lives. Please enjoy this picture I made myself, which is as funny as it is true. Thank you very much

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

All authoritarian regimes (judeo-bolshevik) genocide people by stealing their grain. They do this because it is the ultimate way to desecrate the eucharist.

What if making too much rice was also genocide

https://twitter.com/TheEconomist/status/1690713079405768704?t=KiycAUC5m3TWFXBbSf32Yw&s=19

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

lmao

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

it's feeding people, but the crop is not valuable... who can say whether it's good or not

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Its not genocide because the famine killed Han chinese.

Self genocide is a popular Chinese past time as can be seen by the one child policy

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

quote:

The Economist’s Beijing bureau chief, David Rennie, and senior China correspondent, Alice Su, discuss whether China is food insecure and why the Communist Party’s legitimacy rests on its ability to feed the population.

Must be nice to live in a country where government legitimacy is still tied to their ability to feed the population

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol at the yellow filter for an article on Asia

someone showed on the Asia thread how this was common in western media

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

text editor posted:

Must be nice to live in a country where government legitimacy is still tied to their ability to feed the population

must be nice to live in a country where the government has some semblance of legitimacy

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

euphronius posted:

lol at the yellow filter for an article on Asia

someone showed on the Asia thread how this was common in western media

I’d noticed China articles always had an orange glow and had just assumed it was low effort use of the Chinese communist flag (red&yellow) to ingrain the commies=evil association. Lol I didn’t know they were doing it for all the other Asian countries. But of course they are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://medium.com/@mdheydt1/yellow-filter-and-representations-of-the-global-south-b7d3e725a1f5

the article

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

growing basic staples to feed a billion plus ... but at what cost?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
One day I hope to see the purple tint from Ghostbusters applied to the west

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Excuse me, the PRC is AGGRESSIVELY growing food

quote:

The Economist’s Beijing bureau chief, David Rennie, and senior China correspondent, Alice Su, discuss whether China is food insecure and why the Communist Party’s legitimacy rests on its ability to feed the population. David travels to Sichuan to see how the overlapping rural reforms are affecting farmers. He and Alice ask whether Mr Xi’s fixation on food security could be a warning of a future conflict.
The underlined text links to no poo poo war over Taiwan.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Excuse me, the PRC is AGGRESSIVELY growing food

The underlined text links to no poo poo war over Taiwan.

ensuring that you have the means to meet the basic needs of your population isn’t Nazi NATO doctrine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

How else do you cull the useless and unproductive dregs from your nation?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://twitter.com/orfonline/status/1678128135076970496?s=20

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

rice cultivation (actionable threat)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

text editor posted:

Western journalists having a lightbulb moment and finally realising what the Mandate of Heaven really is

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

everything should be pistachios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

The rules based order can't collapse soon enough.